I'm Sure you noticed but every year a device gets updated the main thing is memory, think about it you have new every two and you want the best BB device running. Yet they upgrade the phones 1 piece at a time every year just so we run out and buy the new one. That doubles their profit over 2 years. Thanks to us. Instead of upgrading the phones to there full capability which by now they know they could do. But no this phone gets a processor that phone gets memory this phone gets touch screen. They only upgrade the phone a little bit so when the next version comes out, they upgrade something different on it instead of doing a full upgrade at once this. I have been using a BlackBerry for four years and wouldn't use anything else. But I am lucky enough not to need every new device out.
    Just Trying to give you some info i realized recently, You probably already knew this if so sorry for wasting your time.
    08-23-10 11:31 AM
    It is refreshing to see someone using those brain cells enough to realize that you don't need every new device.

As for the rest, well ... you can say that about almost anything made. Why do some cars have side impact air bags before others, why does my 2007 TV do 1080i when the 2008 does 1080p, why ... It comes down to cost, and how much are we willing to pay. These component prices drop so drastically year by year (actually monthly) that you can sometimes cut the price in 1/2 by delaying a year.
    08-23-10 11:50 AM
    And this is different from most everyrhing how?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-10 11:55 AM
    It still boils down to one thing...it's a phone. I'm not sure why I would want a 5 inch screen that plays high def movies. Still can't figure that one out. But some people want it. Anyway, if something does exactly what you want, then why change it? RIM has always been about slow change, always.
    08-23-10 12:26 PM
    Post created by applemac... Apple, the kings of creating refreshes... hmm...
    08-23-10 12:39 PM
    Man if only we upgraded our tv's once a year! OMG!
    08-23-10 12:43 PM
    I used my pearl for 2 years til the 9000 came out. They released other pearls but I stayed with what I had. I kept using the 9000 for 2 years til the Torch came out. Guess their marketing ploy is wasted on me.
    08-23-10 01:15 PM
    vndlewis This isn't different just an observation and an opinion BlackBerry's update more often than most any phone out,
    VRaptor This is good I get New every two also I didn't say I don't upgrade, I just don't buy every device out I have a defective S2 that I use instead of complaining about it and calling support I'm waiting on my Upgrade. I'm sure I could get a replacement but it has a decent OS. It runs OK so I use it.
    FineWolf I just like the name I don't like there products I don't own anything made by Apple that's just me.
    Thanks for your replies anyway
    08-23-10 02:04 PM
    It still boils down to one thing...it's a phone. I'm not sure why I would want a 5 inch screen that plays high def movies. Still can't figure that one out. But some people want it. Anyway, if something does exactly what you want, then why change it? RIM has always been about slow change, always.
    My feelings exactly

08-23-10 03:02 PM
    They should change their name to RISM Research In Slow Motion!

(-edit- I prolly am not the first person to think of that.)

Last edited by sampberry; 08-23-10 at 06:29 PM.
    08-23-10 06:21 PM
    Uhh, in case no one dropped this on your noggin yet, a company is in business to make money. That's their job. Sometimes businesses make good decisions, sometimes bad.

If you don't like the product, vote with your pocketbook. They'll take note, look at the bottom line, and make the decisions they need to.

You wanna feel loved, go buy an Apple product, take it in for service, and get sneered at for having last month's model. 'Oh, you don't have the 23.1 Fart App? Well someone's been living in denial!" They
    introduce a product that has obvious issues, "You people are too ignorant to know how lucky you are I sell you products!" Yeah.

08-23-10 07:31 PM
    I'm Sure you noticed but every year a device gets updated the main thing is memory, think about it you have new every two and you want the best BB device running. Yet they upgrade the phones 1 piece at a time every year just so we run out and buy the new one. That doubles their profit over 2 years. Thanks to us. Instead of upgrading the phones to there full capability which by now they know they could do. But no this phone gets a processor that phone gets memory this phone gets touch screen. They only upgrade the phone a little bit so when the next version comes out, they upgrade something different on it instead of doing a full upgrade at once this. I have been using a BlackBerry for four years and wouldn't use anything else. But I am lucky enough not to need every new device out.
    Just Trying to give you some info i realized recently, You probably already knew this if so sorry for wasting your time.
    RIM isn't the only company that does this. Apple comes out with a new iPhone every year. Some other device models have been upgraded after a year (Droid-Droid 2). RIM is not the only one that does this. If you want to talk about the quality of specs they put in there devices for these "upgrades", then fine, but every company releases a newer version of a model on a 6-12month basis.

RIM just has a lot of different models, so it may look like they do it more often.
    08-23-10 09:15 PM
    I am glad they update every year. If they are offering something I want to but then it is quite perfect for me. If they aren't offering anything I want it is the perfect opportunity to try something better from another company.
    08-23-10 11:50 PM
    It's just like *cough apple cough*, only more/less frequently. Just get a phone and use it until it ceases to even turn on when plugged in.

08-24-10 02:50 AM
    All I'm saying is that the biggest jump RIM has made is the Torch which is a nice phone why can't the upgrade be bigger with the Curve, Bold, Storm. The will add 256 mb memory then add another 512 mb to get 1gb, I understand cost but some people don't care its just stupid that with the technology they have that's all they can do, I really don't care either way I do my new every 2 so I get what's there or hold off till the next best. I was making an observation. If you don't like it find somewhere else to read. You don't need to complain about my post. I like my BlackBerry, I just think even if it has problems with the screen. I won't call rim to complain. I deal with it you probably call rim if your phone takes to long to boot so back the F off. And treat others like you want to be treated.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    08-24-10 07:03 PM
    All I'm saying is that the biggest jump RIM has made is the Torch which is a nice phone why can't the upgrade be bigger with the Curve, Bold, Storm. The will add 256 mb memory then add another 512 mb to get 1gb, I understand cost but some people don't care its just stupid that with the technology they have that's all they can do, I really don't care either way I do my new every 2 so I get what's there or hold off till the next best. I was making an observation. If you don't like it find somewhere else to read. You don't need to complain about my post. I like my BlackBerry, I just think even if it has problems with the screen. I won't call rim to complain. I deal with it you probably call rim if your phone takes to long to boot so back the F off. And treat others like you want to be treated.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Couple deep breaths bud.

Others are just saying it is like this in all electronic fields. You buy a computer and what is standard one year will be obsolete and laughed at a year later. If you buy an android phone, there's sure to be something better just around the corner. If companies max out the technology potential of their devices, what will make the consumer want to ever purchase a new device?
    08-24-10 08:01 PM
    The OP is complaining of the small incremental changes on their hardware. A lot of posters are saying apple and Google does the same thing but those two do not recycle components like RIM does and call it a new device. RIM had to leave out wifi on the storm and tour? No 3g on 8900? No OS 6 for storm 2? Same processor on their flagship device for 3 years (9000, 9700, torch)...looks like 9780 will be the same rehash as well.
    Apple and Android still support their old devices and still relevant in 1-2 years. Apple 3g still getting a fix on the lag for ios4. Droid having froyo. We can't say that about RIM devices can we? Only choice is to upgrade.

Last edited by darkmanx2g; 08-25-10 at 02:20 AM.
    08-25-10 02:18 AM
    You know, just because its new or on sale, doesnt mean that you have to have it... ive had my 9000 for almost 2 yrs, played with a 9700 and want to see the torch before purchasing another phone.... im not worried.
    08-25-10 02:22 AM
    I'm not losing sleep over not getting OS 6 for S2, neither am I fazed by new or upcoming devices. I had conscious knowledge of the lack of OS 6 while purchasing mine just yesterday. I'm also not going to buy a refresh or new handset every year just because they're the latest technology - it does not make sense.

Unless what you need in a phone is currently lacking in yours, then by all means go ahead and get one. When you need something the price is not so much of an issue as compared to when you want one.
    08-25-10 02:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD