I thought i would never say this, but Blackberry/RIM is starting to lose me as a customer. I have been a faithful blackberry user for the past 6-7 years and it has been great but technology changed a lot throughout all this years. First of all I have a 9530 (before that a bold, thought it was too big for my pocket) and with the 9530 I was somehow happy. I waited for the 5.0 O.S and my surprised was that none of the 5.0 work with my phone since i get the no circuit/channel available ( yes I have tmobile but I also travel a lot and what use is to me a phone that i cannot make any phone calls in lets say Mexico and what the **** is Verizon thinking to have a WORLD Phone and deliver a Software 5.0.0.328 that does not let you make GSM CALLS) so here i am with an useless phone that i can just send emails and cannot make any calls. Now BGR is posting the 9700 might be delayed 2 more weeks ( no surprised at all) and I'm starting to see the big potential on Android.
    My point here is that I am pissed and dissapointed on how RIM just sits there and do nothing while companies like Google that it has been in the wireless business less than 2 years is overtaking and growing really fast and don't even get me started on the Iphone. How does a company with so much experience in the wireless business is just sitting down and working with a software that is at least 7 years old and doing just little tweaks here and there ( and I'm sorry I do not share the same way of thinking of some people that if it is not broken why change it). Yes you can do pretty much anything on a BB that you can't do in an Iphone ( multitasking for example) or even Android( which i think is catching up and really fast) but why not push the limits now. According to polls 40% of smartphones in the US are BB and 30% are Iphones, now, doesn't this have RIM at all preoccupied? what is going to happen when AT&T decides not to have the Iphone exclusively on their network and APPLE decides to go to any other network ? Can you imagine? ATT out of 4 millions phones that got sold 3 million where iphones , can u imagine what is going to happen when is open to other carriers. ?
    I am sorry about this post but I am just tired of people complaining about the software and do not see the big picture on the Company (RIM). I would hate to see RIM go down in flames like PALM did ( and they are struggling to get back in the game even with an amazing software like WEB OS ) . I think I am not the only one that thinks about this and please let me apologize in advance if i offend any hardcore BB user (like I WAS) but i think everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    I hope RIM gets back on the game and quit playing the stupid game of if it is not broken why fix it or replace it... because if they keep up this attitude is not going to be pretty.
    I hope this post reaches RIM somehow.
    Thanks
    10-28-09 10:19 AM
    Alright, enjoy whatever new phone you get. See ya!
    10-28-09 10:34 AM
    I think an even bigger problem for RIM is that its very difficult and expensive to develop apps for BlackBerry than it is for iPhone or Android. As smartphones become the dominant computering platform, people will make buying decisions based on the availability of software, as they always have for game platforms, computers, etc. Unless BlackBerry makes it easier, they are in trouble.
    10-28-09 10:37 AM
    I Completely agree with your post..
    10-28-09 10:40 AM
    ATT out of 4 millions phones that got sold 3 million where iphones , can u imagine what is going to happen when is open to other carriers. ?
    Where the heck did you come up with that number? That is a totally bogus statement that 3/4 of the phones AT&T sells are iPhones... I would argue that it's probably not even close to 1/4
    10-28-09 10:43 AM
    I think an even bigger problem for RIM is that its very difficult and expensive to develop apps for BlackBerry than it is for iPhone or Android. As smartphones become the dominant computering platform, people will make buying decisions based on the availability of software, as they always have for game platforms, computers, etc. Unless BlackBerry makes it easier, they are in trouble.
    #1: They aren't becoming the dominant computing platform, not even close. And will never be until the processing power, combined with battery life, can compete with a notebook at least. Not netbook, but notebook.

#2: It's no more expensive to develop a Java app than anything else for any other platform. You just need the tools and experienced developers.
    10-28-09 10:45 AM
    Where the heck did you come up with that number? That is a totally bogus statement that 3/4 of the phones AT&T sells are iPhones... I would argue that it's probably not even close to 1/4
    I meant out of 4.3 million new phones were activated on the ATT network -- 3.2 million of which were iPhones

you can check it out here..

AT&T's third quarter earnings come up all roses
    10-28-09 10:56 AM
    I meant out of 4.3 million new phones were activated on the ATT network -- 3.2 million of which were iPhones

you can check it out here..

AT&T's third quarter earnings come up all roses
    Time frame is everything. If you're talking a new release then yes, it can happen. What about the next big release from another company? Probably swings away from the iPhone.

Stats are so easy to manipulate and misinterpret.

But the biggest issue is the OP clearly doesn't understand certain terms, regulations or facts of most phones. "World phone" means it will work almost anywhere, but the regulations for North America say the phones have to be locked to a specific carrier so out goes the "world" part. You either have to get the phone unlocked or buy it from a 3rd party already unlocked. And that's not just a BB thing. iPhones and everything come from the carriers locked.

Also, why not state what you think needs tweaking? The BB isn't a multimedia phone, it's a high security business device first and foremost. That is something a lot of people don't seem to get about it. They want flash and glitter, but really this thing's a big ugly tank that is second to none for protection.
    Last edited by Radius; 10-28-09 at 11:00 AM.
    10-28-09 10:57 AM
    well for me this is something you have to worry about.. I mean we are talking about one two versions of the iphone here the 3g and 3GS and also we have to take into perspective that many people are not in love wih the ATT network. Imagine different versions of the iphone hitting TMOBILE, SPRINT AND VERIZON exactly like BB has it..
    10-28-09 11:04 AM
    The bulk of the sales have been done, they won't see those numbers with releases on other networks.

Regardless, I don't think it matters. RIM isn't going anywhere as it's pretty much considered critical infrastructure in North America so expect it to be around for a very long time.
    10-28-09 11:05 AM
    Oh.. that we agree on.. RIM is not going anywhere but if they don't do anything to attract more customers and not only Business customers they will see themselves being misplaced of that first place of smartphone sales in the U.S at least.
    Regardless, I hope they turn around the boat, I really hope because I love RIM and I hate to move to another OS but they have to put their things together..
    10-28-09 11:12 AM
    They are far from #1. When you say #1 you are probably referring to a specific model. RIM and Apple are really small players in the overall mobile phone market.

Nokia, Sony, Motorola and a couple others dominate the market and make RIM and Apple combined look almost insignificant.
    10-28-09 11:17 AM
    Why must you hate on rim , when you have been a customer for 6 to 7 years . You shouldve moved on long time ago, sorry.
    10-28-09 11:35 AM
    I agree totally with radius. The BlackBerry is unmatched for security and protection. Its not a multimedia device, it can play movies and music, yeah... but name a single brand that is more trusted by million dollar corporations than BlackBerry. There is a reason for that. If you want a phone to use as a toy, then get an iPhone, or enjoy a droid.
    10-28-09 11:48 AM
    10-28-09 12:20 PM
    Why must you hate on rim , when you have been a customer for 6 to 7 years . You shouldve moved on long time ago, sorry.
    Never in my posr stated that i hate RIM
    10-28-09 12:21 PM
    Smart phones period. But overall thee companies probably have like 3% market share. I'm not sure about the exact number there, but I know it isn't high.

My point being, RIM and Apple are just bit players. It's not surprising Apple is scooping up shares with a multimedia device either as there is no serious contender to oppose them yet. But RIM has nothing to worry about at all.

I think the change will come with the new Nokia phone. It might have a slow start, but the development community will dwarf all others combined, it does so now and it's not even released. And the specs are really impressive and it's all tied together with an open and solid OS.

The reason RIM has been on top so long is because of lax competition, but as I've been saying this new wave doesn't really mean much at all.
    10-28-09 12:26 PM
    Also, why not state what you think needs tweaking? The BB isn't a multimedia phone, it's a high security business device first and foremost. That is something a lot of people don't seem to get about it. They want flash and glitter, but really this thing's a big ugly tank that is second to none for protection.
    These threads pop up from time to time. They usually suggest something to the extent that RIM should morph into being Apple.

The iPhone is out there. It's been out there. If a BlackBerry user wants to buy an iPhone, there is nothing stopping them from doing that. Go get an iPhone already.

Radius is right (she almost always is) in that RIM isn't in the business of producing flashy/glittery toys. They are in the business of producing devices focused on the business and consumer markets for communication with the best security possible. That's why virtually all large corporations adopt BlackBerry and virtually none adopt the iToy as enterprise solutions.

Bottom line? The BlackBerry OS is still the best thing out on the market ... unless you are looking for flash and glitter and then of course you have the iToy.
    10-28-09 02:10 PM
    She? Oh dear, time to change the avatar...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-28-09 02:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD