I think RIM are at a huge advantage of educating users about security..even they can create a sense of fear among the enterprises highlighting what we are seeing in the daily tech news, blogs etc..atleast there is one item of security loopholes in IOS and Android being reported on a daily basis..not a day goes by without such news and I don't understand why RIM doesn't make a commercial out of it. For example in the last few days we have these news articles on IOS and Android security loopholes:

1) Android allows every app access to your photos, Google considering fix | The Verge
    2) Android and iOS expose your photos to third party apps, promise fixes -- Engadget
    3) Path Apologizes, Deletes All Address Book Data
    4) Google Wallet security holes threaten both rooted and stock devices | The Verge
    5) Second Google Wallet security vulnerability confirmed, affects all users | The Verge
    6) Refurbished Motorola Xoom tablets may still have old user data | The Verge
    03-01-12 06:03 PM
    They should somehow advertise this but not in an obvious way.

If there's some kind of article or story about security and smartphones they should somehow 'be there' with the message BlackBerrys are secure

Or maybe on the next page there's an advertisement or article where an expert talks about how they trust BlackBerry for security
    Last edited by anthogag; 03-01-12 at 08:27 PM.
    03-01-12 06:15 PM
    Honestly this would be the wrong way to go for consumers, but somehow market the security aspect for enterprises. As for an average consumer this probably doesn't even cross their minds unless it's brought up in the news, conversations, etc. The best thing IMO would be to make an advertising campaign to cater to both sides of the market showing the best features for each user.
    03-02-12 02:23 AM
    Do you REALLY think companies aren't aware of this? You really think you know better than a network administrator, who's been doing his job for 20 years, because you've just read about some potential vulnerability, which will get patched before anyone has a chance to use it?

As it has been pointed out countless times, it doesn't matter if Blackberries are the most secure. Android and iOS are secure ENOUGH for the vast majority of companies. For those that require something even more secure, there are third party software such as Good Technology or Mobile Iron, which makes it every bit as secure as BBs...

NSA recently made a super secure Android version, iOS and Android are both FIPS certified.

It's time to get off the security delusions that are partly responsible for RIMs current sad situation.
    03-02-12 05:54 AM
    Pushing your devices only on security is a really bad idea. Everyones security has breaches at some point, if you market your device on security and other things, then people can tolerate the odd glitch.
    If you push your device on security and nothing else, it just takes one glitch to absolutely destroy your reputation.
    03-02-12 06:14 AM
    Pushing your devices only on security is a really bad idea. Everyones security has breaches at some point, if you market your device on security and other things, then people can tolerate the odd glitch.
    If you push your device on security and nothing else, it just takes one glitch to absolutely destroy your reputation.
    Although I don't agree with the idea of creating a sense of fear among buyers, I don't think he said to market only on security; but it's definitely something that could stand to be at least hinted at more strongly.
    03-02-12 06:19 AM
    I think RIM are at a huge advantage of educating users about security..even they can create a sense of fear among the enterprises highlighting what we are seeing in the daily tech news, blogs etc..atleast there is one item of security loopholes in IOS and Android being reported on a daily basis..not a day goes by without such news and I don't understand why RIM doesn't make a commercial out of it. For example in the last few days we have these news articles on IOS and Android security loopholes:

1) Android allows every app access to your photos, Google considering fix | The Verge
    2) Android and iOS expose your photos to third party apps, promise fixes -- Engadget
    4) Google Wallet security holes threaten both rooted and stock devices | The Verge
    5) Second Google Wallet security vulnerability confirmed, affects all users | The Verge

Wow! Fear mongering. The last act of a desperate leader?
    03-02-12 12:00 PM
    Do you REALLY think companies aren't aware of this? You really think you know better than a network administrator, who's been doing his job for 20 years, because you've just read about some potential vulnerability, which will get patched before anyone has a chance to use it?
    And yet they continue to allow any tom, and harry to bring whatever device they want into their network. You assume all IT professional are competent enough to keep up on these vulnerabilities. I say your assumption is wrong.
    03-02-12 12:24 PM
    So let me see if I can get this straight...

Posting daily articles of Doom and Gloom on how RIM sucks - RIM is dead - RIM's products sucks... OK

Posting links to vulnerabilities in other OS... fear mongering.

You people are ridiculous.
    03-02-12 12:26 PM
    So let me see if I can get this straight...

Posting daily articles of Doom and Gloom on how RIM sucks - RIM is dead - RIM's products sucks... OK

Posting links to vulnerabilities in other OS... fear mongering.

You people are ridiculous.
    Who is "you people"?

My comment was in response to the premise that "fear" should be a basis for marketing. Like this hasn't been done before in other industries, and has not always been met with abject failure.

Again.

Who is "you people"?
    Rickroller likes this.
    03-02-12 12:32 PM
    If you want the BB platform to excel .... start doing what RIM actually is doing in it's new comercial... make it look slick and have it actually accomplish something... Not just play flash... What made Apple so popular... Apple did too things right.... Market your device that is easy to use.... and make it productive... RIM has this covered with the Playbook... as the new commercials show... it is easy to use and you can actually do neat theing with it.... The current BB smartphones are a different matter... I think the current BBOS7 are great phones but they do not have the WOW factor say an Apple of Samsung have... This will hopefully change wiht BB10... As BB smartphones are currently the entry point fo rmost new consumers it is not hard to understand why BB is having issues making it's porduct a "must have"
    03-02-12 12:48 PM
    I think RIM are at a huge advantage of educating users about security..even they can create a sense of fear among the enterprises
    I thought the exact same thing. "Let's start a fear campaign!! That'll win back the consumers!!"
    03-02-12 03:31 PM
    As it has been pointed out countless times, it doesn't matter if Blackberries are the most secure. Android and iOS are secure ENOUGH for the vast majority of companies. For those that require something even more secure, there are third party software such as Good Technology or Mobile Iron, which makes it every bit as secure as BBs...

NSA recently made a super secure Android version, iOS and Android are both FIPS certified.

It's time to get off the security delusions that are partly responsible for RIMs current sad situation.
    I agree. When you see Governmental Departments jumping over to iOS, that should tell you where security now fits in the whole scheme of things. How many iPhone users have switched to another device after some security breech was discovered. Oh, some app just read all of my contacts....okay. Oh, some app just accessed all of my pictures...okay. Oh, iOS is keeping track of my location...okay.
    03-02-12 03:33 PM
    Most people don't care about security. As North American sales show, people want big touch screen phones which tons of crap apps. Security isn't even on their radar.
    03-02-12 03:50 PM
    ^^^^Most consumers don't even care much about security on their PCs, much less on their phones. If consumers really understood security IT staff wouldn't have to block screensavers and weatherbugs on their workstations. The fact employees know about that stuff means they use it on their home PCs, and have no clue the security issues involved with that junk.
    03-02-12 04:01 PM
    Most people don't care about security. As North American sales show, people want big touch screen phones which tons of crap apps. Security isn't even on their radar.
    Nonsense. People just don't care about a false sense of security when there isn't one.
    03-02-12 05:17 PM

Security is boring.
    03-02-12 06:03 PM
    There has to be more than just security. I agree that it can be used as a selling point, but you have to offer what other platforms are offering to compete. I'm sure BB10 will address those issues.

But in the meantime, here are my personal reasons in relations to security, for switching to ios (which I guess is less secure):

Out of sight, out of mind: Security is an issue but I don't think it's a good selling point to the masses. It's like out of sight, out of mind. Sort of like safety ratings on a car. I can get the top safety rated car, let's say it's a Hyundai, but if it doesn't have much in it or it's not as up to date as the next car down, I'm going to the next car down. I didn't get into a deadly car accident where the issue was the safety rating.

Things get patched eventually. Example, IOS has many renditions of their OS which allows the previous models to update. Sort of like MS. MS has so many vulnerabilities but they eventually get patched up.

Integration with other things. Example, MS is has the most vulnerabilities yet it is more popular than linux or lion. It's because it can integrate with other software, systems, etc. easily (equivalent to there are many apps on ios vs. bb).

I can make ios more secure. Whether ios comes out with the same security features where you can wipe, track, etc, I can also use apps to encrypt, etc.

The shortcomings don't make up for the security. This is just me, but if you have 1 thing good, and 9 things not that great, well, it's an easy decision for me.

Now, I'm not saying these are great reasons and I'm sure they are flawed in some logic, but I know many people that think the same way as me. And I've been in the IT field for almost 20 years.
    03-02-12 06:28 PM
    In Francw, we won't talk that much about security. If you want to address this matter then, we'd talk about privacy.
    I guess could be a better approach for general public,
    03-02-12 06:49 PM
    I greatly disagree with the thought that RIM needs to focus it's marketing on Security,

Security does not sell in the USA, which needs to be the Key Marketing market,

Social media and Apps are selling tools, RIM doesn't have Apps so their Key Marketing needs to be on social connections, tie in the secure communication between people, and the connected apps with the BBM social network, that is how they need to ad to their marketing, play on peoples desires to be different and popular,

Security should be their Enterprise focus, they need to increase their BES support staffs initiatives in security and communication, they need to be letting IT professionals know when a leak hits Android or iOS devices, that that leak is not in BlackBerry, through trade news letters, also pointing to solutions for those tools and how to manage problems with RIM made tools, like Mobile fusion, they would not increase sales much by making the consumer afraid, if consumers were worried about security facebook would not be what it is today, nor would icloud exist.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-02-12 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD