What does the community think of the fact as we are in the 6th month of the year, and RIM has not only not released a single handset, but has not announced a release date for a single handset.

Is this proof that RIM is working hard to ensure these new devices release with near perfect software and hardware? Is this proof that RIM is in a state of absolute disrepair, that they can't get a single new device out the door, (to some carriers its been a year)?

All signs point to the first device (Bold Touch) launching late August early September (Months 8 & 9). If the remaining devices do not launch until September/October how much do you believe this will effect RIM with carriers, the public percepttion of them and their bottom line?
    06-08-11 11:03 AM
    It points to RIM getting these new products right, once one hits it looks like many others are coming near the same time. RIM is not like Samsung, LG, Moto, Apple or others. They have extra layers of work on each new unit to complete. As to ensure certain certificates and security. Its the final hour. June 16 we'll get some answers.
    06-08-11 11:10 AM
    That's the 1 thing I love abour RIM, that they don't release a device until all the bugs are worked out, as well as the software. Other devices drop monthly, but they are plagued with bugs, glitches and require a software update within a week. I think everyone is looking at all the amount of Android phones that keep getting released which seems weekly. Once the '11 devices are out and QNX is released next year, EVERYONE will have a different tone. Newer isnt always better.
    06-08-11 11:12 AM
    I mean, we better get some answers. RIM isn't doing well right now. Yes they have done well financially in the last few quarters. That's true and it's great for them. But we ALL know that it's time for RIM to put up or shut up because they are in a rough place.

Look at Nokia.... Microsoft and Samsung have made offers (allegedly) to buy them. Their market share dropped 50% in a quarter. Failure is on the horizon for RIM whether we addicts like it or not. They are doing okay but again, they need to release some fresh **** or people are going to continue to defect.
    06-08-11 11:15 AM
    That's the 1 thing I love abour RIM, that they don't release a device until all the bugs are worked out, as well as the software.
    Ever hear of the Playbook??????

Incomplete and buggy. You need to get out more..

Tim
    06-08-11 11:18 AM
    That's the 1 thing I love abour RIM, that they don't release a device until all the bugs are worked out, as well as the software. Other devices drop monthly, but they are plagued with bugs, glitches and require a software update within a week.
    I mean no offense here, but you obviously never had a 9500 series device, or the original trackball Tour. One of the unfortunate eras in BB history started with the release of the 9500/9530 and really did not end until the release of the Torch. During this this period hardware and software releases were plauged with bugs and issues.
    06-08-11 11:19 AM
    That's the 1 thing I love abour RIM, that they don't release a device until all the bugs are worked out, as well as the software. Other devices drop monthly, but they are plagued with bugs, glitches and require a software update within a week. I think everyone is looking at all the amount of Android phones that keep getting released which seems weekly. Once the '11 devices are out and QNX is released next year, EVERYONE will have a different tone. Newer isnt always better.
    WOW I think you're wrong about that. RIM has released plenty of deivces that are buggy. But agree with the rest.
    06-08-11 11:48 AM
    Does anyone think they are losing ground with public perception? Or losing lots of money, as each day thousands contract for 1-3 years with a carrier on a new device and are skipping over the year old Blackberries?
    06-08-11 11:52 AM
    Does anyone think they are losing ground with public perception? Or losing lots of money, as each day thousands contract for 1-3 years with a carrier on a new device and are skipping over the year old Blackberries?
    Again, it's both. Their perception and the lack of hardware are making people move on.

Their communication to the public is awful. They are unclear. People aren't REALLY sure what their plan is, what their timeline is. So people aren't going to invest in a product that is a year old with a company that seems to not be "with it" in terms of the where the market is today and where it is going.

We know the items I talked about above because we are on crackberry. But what about the general public?
    06-08-11 12:01 PM

Have you ever heard of the Blackberry Storm? Blackberry Tour? Blackberry PlayBook...

And then you say once the devices are out and qnx is released next year (making that newer devices), everyone will have a different tone. Newer isn't always better. This just doesnt make any sense.

Can you clarify?
    06-08-11 01:22 PM
    The real despair here is not that they haven't released a phone, but the fact that what they're planning to release isn't up to scratch with their direct competitors.

There's not even a hint of a front facing camera in any of their upcoming devices. This is what is meant by "dead on arrival". There isn't even a premium offering on the way for those who will pay extra for a front facing camera.
    06-08-11 01:34 PM
    Have you ever heard of the Blackberry Storm? Blackberry Tour? Blackberry PlayBook...

And then you say once the devices are out and qnx is released next year (making that newer devices), everyone will have a different tone. Newer isn't always better. This just doesnt make any sense.

Can you clarify?
    I had my BB Tour from release till this past Saturday and NEVER had any issues with the trackball OR random reboots; I guess I a lucky one. What I was referring to was how Android drops a new phone every other week across multiple manufactures. As for the Playbook, haven't played with one and not in the market for a tablet anytime soon, so haven't paid too much attention to any issues it may have. Guess I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to that
    06-08-11 01:49 PM
    I have yet to own a RIM device at release that wasn't plagued with bugs and other OS issues. Every device at release has these issues.

06-08-11 01:54 PM
    I think it is ridiculous that I've been waiting for 5 months since I became eligible for an upgrade for my Storm 9530, and I don't even know when the next BB will be out for Verizon.

I think the delays are due to RIM being caught completely off guard by Apple and then Google. So they blew things up and started acquiring like crazy. Even though OS7 is an upgrade to OS6, I think it is fairly significant (and deserving of moving from 6.1 to 7). With the completely separate work done on the PlayBook, I really do think resources and focus were pulled there to try to take advantage of a new emerging market and try to succeed there. I think RIM is struggling now with trying to get two independent OSes to the level they need to be.

I wish they'd just get a new phone out the door. I mean, it can't be any worse than the headaches I've endured with my Storm constantly running out of memory.
    06-08-11 02:03 PM
    Daedalus I mostly agree. But RIM has been working on the hardware and software for more than a year. It's almost alarming that they are not ready to announce most of these devices, let alone a release date.

I know there are allot of frustrated people out there. Especially those of us on BES, or locked to a carrier on BES. I would have hoped Crackberry, N4BB, BBcool and some other enthusiast sites would put up a giant clock on their front pagess counting the time since RIM last released a handset. Maybe that might get RIM's attention, and help to push things along.

I believe releasing these devices in September (especially at the $200 price point) will result in huge sales among BES users and BB loyalists. Among the public at large, who does not care who makes the phone or OS, I see a huge **-hum. Most will compare the features and the UI in store and go with what looks best; by September, these devices will only be cutting edge when compared to other BBs, not other smartphones. I think it was a truly poor decision to not get the first device (Bold Touch)out in the first quarter, and the second (Monaco/Monza) out in the 2nd quarter and the Torch 2, Curve touch and others scattered in the 3rd and 4th quarters. But perhaps the PB has made up considerably for any lost revenue. Honestly though, I was always taught that in business - you want to be 'around'. Out of sight, out of mind. No advertising, no word of new releases, no new device releases = out of general sight. That can't possibly be good.
    06-08-11 02:29 PM
    [QUOTE=DaedalusIcarusHelios;6393974]I think it is ridiculous that I've been waiting for 5 months since I became eligible for an upgrade for my Storm 9530, and I don't even know when the next BB will be out for Verizon.

My upgrade came due August 2010, so I feel your pain...hoping my Storm 1 can last until new touch comes out but sure it will.....
    06-08-11 02:33 PM
    The real despair here is not that they haven't released a phone, but the fact that what they're planning to release isn't up to scratch with their direct competitors.

There's not even a hint of a front facing camera in any of their upcoming devices. This is what is meant by "dead on arrival". There isn't even a premium offering on the way for those who will pay extra for a front facing camera.
    I think the FFC is the only thing that does not compare. However, I have yet to even use my FFC on my IP4 so I don't really see it being a huge deal.
    06-08-11 02:58 PM
    I honestly don't know what's going on at RIM. They look like dummies... relegated to follower status. When was the last time they innovated?

Fortunately for them all is not lost. They have the best phone keyboard... If they focused their marketing efforts on taking advantage of that... by building the best text, facebook, twitter, and email apps they'd gain market share. That's 90% of what people do on their phone.

But, if they keep doing what they are doing (blah OS, rehashed devices with incremental improvement) they'll keep losing customers.

Here's hoping they hire some leadership with vision soon!
    06-08-11 08:08 PM
    Hopefully the pace at which these phones are coming out means they are putting lots of resources into making the QNX phones. Highly unlikely, but I can dream. If this were the case that would be awesome since they could hopefully get those out sooner. But what will probably happen is that the QNX phones will take just as long to come out as these new ones will.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-11 08:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD