After much deliberation and though, I bought my first shares of Rim stock. Outside of my 401k, its my first and probably be the only stock in my personal portfolio. Why did I do it? I understand what and why Rim is suffering and I also see what they have to offer in the future. I figure even if the stock gets up to half of its past glory days, Ive made a pretty good return. Sure its a risk, but so is everything else in life, included my drive to work. So I ask, why not do it?
    05-18-12 06:07 AM
    I bought in @ $21. Obviously looking at it now I could have waited. Having said that they. Still have some more earning calls before they release bb10 phones. I do not see any reason for those calls to be positive and as a result the stock will likely continue to slide.

I am going to invest more $$ closer to the bb10 launch and hope for the best.

Having said that I suck at the stock market and any stock I have personally chose including rim has not worked out for me so far.
    oldtimeBBaddict and big_time2 like this.
    05-18-12 06:40 AM
    I too expect the stock to slide further down and of course "hope for the best". The way I look at it is Im not investing large sums of money here. Just what you would spend on junk in a week or two time from. I figure if I buy a cpl shares every payday, I would have a decent amount around Q4 and then see how things start moving then. Its either gonna be a hero or goat situation.
    05-18-12 06:51 AM
    I have added some RIMM to my portfolio recently. Below is my analysis. These are only my opinions not based on any solid information. You should not take this information as an endorsement or advice.

The OS matters but, the best one often does not win. I have been in Information Technologies long enough to remember when IBM developed OS2 Warp (with Microsoft) and Windows was just coming out. OS2 Warp was a fantastic OS; solid, efficient, great multi-tasking. There was nothing better available for PC hardware at the time. OS2 had the bad luck to be owned by IBM, which didn't know what to do with it. They wanted to sell mainframes and minicomputers. Microsoft knew what it wanted to do and was "laser focused" on that market: PCs. So Windows won and OS2 Warp lost.

So who has the best OS for mobile devices?
    Android is a medium sized kernel but, it has not had the years of refinement to be fast and efficient. You wonder why Android phones have the hottest hardware specs? They have to.

IOS is not what I would call and OS. It is [barely] a hardware abstraction layer with an app loader on top. Not a serious OS for the future.

QNX is a micro-kernel, real-time OS with years of refinement. It is far and away the best OS for mobile devices.

Windows Mobile is a fat kernel OS with far too many features built in to the kernel for efficient operation on current mobile hardware. Microsoft might figure this out but, if I got a Windows phone that could not run very many Windows programs, I would wonder why I have it. If they strip down the kernel, that will be a very different OS than Windows and will require a new programming paradigm.

Hardware costs:
    Android needs hot HW to run well and it uses data at a prodigious rate. The manufactures can sell the phones pretty cheaply because they have few licensing requirements (for now).

iPhones could be sold much more cheaply but, I think Apple is satisfied with the market share they have. They are able to keep those exorbitant margins in the established markets. If they go into emerging markets, they will need to take much slimmer margins. Android (and, I hope, RIM) will eventually clean Apple's clock.

As long as RIM is willing to make very low cost, limited feature phones (probably based on OS7), they can continue to do well in the emerging countries. Established markets have the wealth to get the hottest new phone and enterprises appreciate the security and manageability of BlackBerry devices.

Competition:
    Android: This represents a threat to RIMM but not the most dangerous one. RIM wants costumers (in North America) who care about having a solid, secure, efficient enterprise communications tool. Android is most certainly not that. Android will most likely take over the emerging economies, if they concentrate on data efficiency. Right now, Android phones can be sold cheaply but the data use cost is going to be a big problem in most of the world.

Apple: I don't concern myself with Apple. They will fail back to their natural 5% of the market within a few years.

Microsoft: This is the existential threat to RIM. If Microsoft ever figures out how to strip the fat kernel of Windows down to strike the right balance between features and performance on mobile devices, they could be a formidable competitor. And they already have the enterprise.

Bottom line it for me.
    Android will have the youth users until they get burned with loss of privacy. They will have a good portion of the youth in emerging markets.

Apple is no long-term threat.

Microsoft is a potential threat. They have the enterprise and the ecosystem. They just need to figure out how to get Windows to work on mobile hardware or, wait for hardware to catch up. If you want to hedge, buy MSFT and RIMM. Android would be a good hedge also but, there is nothing close to a pure play on Android.
    Last edited by jrohland; 05-18-12 at 11:38 AM.
    05-18-12 07:17 AM
    Jrohland, I agree with your opinions and they even mirror my own. Im not expecting Rim to become #1. I guess its away to have something more vested into what I enjoy and what has become a small obsession for me. Plus, the bragging rights would be awesome once I become the "hero" after all is said and done lol
    05-18-12 07:40 AM
    Jrohland, I agree with your opinions and they even mirror my own. Im not expecting Rim to become #1. I guess its away to have something more vested into what I enjoy and what has become a small obsession for me. Plus, the bragging rights would be awesome once I become the "hero" after all is said and done lol
    Hellooo. Who are you trying to impress? Never buy stock with your heart, but use your brain. If you want to throw your money away, that's your business. Please don't try to justify a dumb move, by telling yourself that you're "cool". What a dork!!!!
    big_time2 likes this.
    05-18-12 07:51 AM
    Hellooo. Who are you trying to impress? Never buy stock with your heart, but use your brain. If you want to throw your money away, that's your business. Please don't try to justify a dumb move, by telling yourself that you're "cool". What a dork!!!!
    Perhaps you had missed or just failed to read anything that was posted previously...or maybe youre just trolling. Please, oh wise sage, explain how it a "dumb move" as you so eloquently put it.
    05-18-12 08:05 AM
    Perhaps you had missed or just failed to read anything that was posted previously...or maybe youre just trolling. Please, oh wise sage, explain how it a "dumb move" as you so eloquently put it.
    When RIMM was selling for $16.00 a share, i was begging people to sell it short. Nobody listened, but if YOU had, you could buy that Porsche BB right now. The stock is in a downward spiral, and the company is ripe for a takeover. People who own BBs, and i did love my Bold 9000, feel the need to "show their loyalty", by buying RIMM stock, for whatever reason. BAD MOVE. I will stand by a statement that i made previously in these forums. Like it or not, a foreign takeover of RIM, will NOT be blocked by the Canadian Gov't., if the money is right. Right or wrong, the days of "For King and Country", are over. The slogan now is...Money talks, and Bulls**t walks!
    05-18-12 08:26 AM
    When RIMM was selling for $16.00 a share, i was begging people to sell it short. Nobody listened, but if YOU had, you could buy that Porsche BB right now. The stock is in a downward spiral, and the company is ripe for a takeover. People who own BBs, and i did love my Bold 9000, feel the need to "show their loyalty", by buying RIMM stock, for whatever reason. BAD MOVE. I will stand by a statement that i made previously in these forums. Like it or not, a foreign takeover of RIM, will NOT be blocked by the Canadian Gov't., if the money is right. Right or wrong, the days of "For King and Country", are over. The slogan now is...Money talks, and Bulls**t walks!
    But a takeover would almost CERTAINLY happen at a higher price than the market price at the time. So a takeover could be the best thing that happens to current stock owners.

I bet the majority of long interest in RIM is because of the takeover rumors.
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-18-12 09:03 AM
    But a takeover would almost CERTAINLY happen at a higher price than the market price at the time. So a takeover could be the best thing that happens to current stock owners.

I bet the majority of long interest in RIM is because of the takeover rumors.
    Possibly. However, if there is a takeover, will the new company allow RIMM shareholders to convert their shares at the market value at that time. A lot of long term RIMM shareholders are going to take a bath, big time.
    05-18-12 09:16 AM
    I am not "showing my loyalty" as you say, by buying the stock. I did so because I think it will be eventually a return on a small investment. I understand the situation they are in right now, I understand in what they are trying to do to secure the companies future. So if I spend $30 or $40 on a few shares or I do so at the movies, whats it really matter to you? At least this way, I can have a little fun and perhaps see a small return on a small investment. Its no different than gambling. Im not putting in enough money to get rich or to lose my . I personally dont see why it burns YOUR so much one way or the other.
    05-18-12 01:05 PM
    I bet folks that have had serious shares in the past have sold for gain and or loss. Those same folks will buy soon @ current conditions. They understand it is an 18mo investment to reach 20-25 per share. My 2cents

Sent from my VZW 9330.
    05-18-12 01:15 PM
    I too expect the stock to slide further down and of course "hope for the best". The way I look at it is Im not investing large sums of money here. Just what you would spend on junk in a week or two time from. I figure if I buy a cpl shares every payday, I would have a decent amount around Q4 and then see how things start moving then. Its either gonna be a hero or goat situation.
    If you expect the stock to drop lower why did you it purchase now? Horrible move IMO. Purchasing stock while it's in a huge downward spiral is suicide. Good luck with your stock!

Sent from my IPhone 4s using The Hand Of God
    05-19-12 12:06 AM
    Right now all bets are on BB10, if that fails to impress then a take over.
    Along the way some will make money and some will get burnt.
    I kinda think it's close to call but anyone looking to make something in the next two quarters is looking in the wrong place, beyond that it's anyone's guess.
    RIM looks like it's ready to execute and execute well but is the market (no not the fat wall street sharks) willing to give them another chance?
    That is the question.
    05-19-12 05:07 AM
    If RIM produces a sexy looking phone, in appearance only, consumers will buy it like crazy, the brand name will surge back to life and the stock will rocket. Consumers aren't loyal to any brand, they want to look good while out and about and that's it. They will endure a slow eco system build if they look good using their BB 10 device, it is that simple. If sales look like they are increasing again the stock will trade back to a 12 P/E which places it in the $ 30's. All of this can happen this year.
    dacoberry likes this.
    05-19-12 09:40 AM
    If RIM produces a sexy looking phone, in appearance only, consumers will buy it like crazy, the brand name will surge back to life and the stock will rocket. Consumers aren't loyal to any brand, they want to look good while out and about and that's it. They will endure a slow eco system build if they look good using their BB 10 device, it is that simple. If sales look like they are increasing again the stock will trade back to a 12 P/E which places it in the $ 30's. All of this can happen this year.

This is the scenario I believe will play out but doubt we will see 30's in the next 12mo. I am sitting on some shares I picked up at 18 and am pretty bummed out. Anything over 20 would be welcome.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    05-19-12 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD