They also said the new SGS4 will be a 5inch phone. 1920x1080 on a 5" phone may not be as great as you think. I may be wrong, i'm no spec wiz
    01-26-13 10:27 PM
    This is old but it frightens me:
    BlackBerry 10 Aristo spec sheet appears, calls for Quad-Core Krait | CrackBerry.com

Quad core is a must. Recent GS4 rumors say it is going 8 core though ....
    Also, 1280x720 needs to be improved upon. It needs to display real 1080p video ..... my OP does the math for that.
    ahm why does phone specs frighten you so? Mi thinky you easily scared...any other response that I give is pointless
    01-27-13 10:14 AM
    ah the notorious specs discussion
    here we go again
    01-27-13 10:22 AM
    Sooo...we want to announce the upgrade to a phone releasing in the next few weeks, in about 3 or 4 months when the GS4 is released. I am so glad RIM is DEFINITELY not going this route. RIM really can't win with some people...
    01-27-13 10:37 AM
    Funny how men are obsessed on who's got the biggest, the greatest. How about the way you use it?
    pantlesspenguin and BB_Bmore like this.
    01-27-13 11:14 AM
    err firstly wtf!! no details have actually been released of the SGS4 (if its even called that!) and nobody has anything to prove when it will be announced either, although its worth noting many blogs think it`ll get a seperate non MWC release.

as for screen zsizes, youve lost me, where in this world did you get the 1440x720 dimension from?
    its liek the tear drop rumor that the iPhone5 was supposed to have when the 4S was rumored to be the 5 release or the holograms and projector screen, frankly its just a bunch of hype spread out by android fans, the last i heard the SGS4 would have an A15 quadcore but this was months ago. i doubt it'll have the Octa core like what you hear now, intel doesn't even make an octa for a PC i just don't see this happening or else the Note 2 would have come out with it.

Samsung is struggling to keep up price and hardware wise with the chinese manufactures so i really doubt we will see some of the things that the SGS4 is rumored to have
    01-27-13 11:24 AM
    So just after launching the Z they should show off the next phone which will kill Z sales because people will wait for the better phone just because Samsung is releasing the GS4?!?! Very sound business strategy!
    ubizmo and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-27-13 03:54 PM
    Exactly, lets undermine our own launch party, with a future launch party for another line of phones! Everyone who buys this Sega Saturn, I mean BB10 device will see another better device release 6 months later, while you are stuck in a contract and your phone isn't updated!!!! Failure.

How bout, we let RIM actually, I dunno, release a phone, before we talk about future phones......and the spec race, it won't be won by RIM, its about hardware and software being one....something Sammy isn't great at actually.

Kinda feels like their are waaay too many hollow topics coming out as of late, I hope the mods will put a cap on topics for the week surrounding the bb10 release.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-27-13 05:19 PM
    Realistically speaking, the specs in the z10/x10 are likely to be as high as they get until the end of this year when you would expect them to release an upgrade to the z10.
    01-27-13 06:21 PM
    Rims going to release lower end models before they do anything else.
    01-27-13 09:34 PM
    Rims going to release lower end models before they do anything else.
    Indeed, after the initial sales from the z10 and x10 they will need a cheaper model to drive volumes and keep the momentum going to ensure 3rd party developer support remains strong.
    01-28-13 04:44 AM
    Forget the specs, the real danger from Samsung is that they are firing off marketing and promotional dollars with a water canon. One estimate I saw said that Samsung's spend per tablet or mobile is $30 - that is a staggering amount of money.

RIM need to think carefully about how they use their very limited funds to provide the best impact.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-28-13 04:56 AM
    Quad core is a must. Recent GS4 rumors say it is going 8 core though ....
    Also, 1280x720 needs to be improved upon. It needs to display real 1080p video ..... my OP does the math for that.
    On-paper hardware specification is only partly relevant. A smartphone is a practical device, and what really matters is the overall performance of the entire device - hardware and software integrated together, when performing the real world functions for which it was designed. That is where RIM and Apple with their in-house ability to tune both elements together have an advantage that Samsung doesn't have with Android, will never have unless/until the Tizen project reaches a corresponding level of maturity. That is why Samsung needs to use bleeding edge hardware to achieve performance its competitors can achieve with devices which consume substantially less power.
    01-28-13 05:19 AM
    Forget the specs, the real danger from Samsung is that they are firing off marketing and promotional dollars with a water canon. One estimate I saw said that Samsung's spend per tablet or mobile is $30 - that is a staggering amount of money.
    I've not seen Samsung's latest balance sheet but as a group it is probably big enough to sell smartphones at or only slightly above cost of production, and for all practical purposes crush its competitors into insignificance within a year or two. Bear in mind that almost all Samsung's components are made in-house, and supplier's profit does not need to be loaded onto the cost of product.
    01-28-13 05:35 AM

The only reason you'd need 8 cores is if you're running android...
    Quad running QNX?
    GEDDAFUGOUDDAHERE!!!!!!!!!

#BB10Believe
    01-28-13 05:50 AM
    As long as there are no batteries that can handle these obese CPUs and useless 5" displays, there is no reason to be scared of whatever Samsung is coming up with.
    01-28-13 06:06 AM
    I've not seen Samsung's latest balance sheet but as a group it is probably big enough to sell smartphones at or only slightly above cost of production, and for all practical purposes crush its competitors into insignificance within a year or two. Bear in mind that almost all Samsung's components are made in-house, and supplier's profit does not need to be loaded onto the cost of product.
    From a consumer perspective, the mobile sector is in danger of becoming locked in to a apple/Samsung duopoly for at least ten years - the sheer size of those organisations and their economics of scale is making it very very difficult to compete. Even if we accept that Apple is on the decline - from a sales point of view, it is not happening fast enough to have a drastic impact in 2013.

01-28-13 06:14 AM
    Someone elsewhere mentioned that the GS4 will be able to run two apps in side by side mode. If that's true, RIMM needs to bring that to the table also. Does anyone know if this rumor is founded? I know this was shown in the recent "oh no, it's a BB7 phone" ad.

Seems like side by side would require the app to enable it. Such functionality for some games would be bad where disabling would be desired.

Of course, the RIMM OS could handle true multi-tasking. So that's not an issue.
    I think you are missing the point here. Android and BB10 are two differing philosophies. Android is a multimedia platorm, BB10 is a messaging platform. The people who purchase a BlackBerry want a connected device not a gaming platorm. It's pointless getting into a Hardware war with Samsung since it's fundamentally an OS differentiaton competition.
    01-28-13 07:11 AM
    I think you are missing the point here. Android and BB10 are two differing philosophies. Android is a multimedia platorm, BB10 is a messaging platform. The people who purchase a BlackBerry want a connected device not a gaming platorm. It's pointless getting into a Hardware war with Samsung since it's fundamentally an OS differentiaton competition.
    Android isn't a multimedia platform, iOS is mroe of a media platform then Android, Android is a tech gurus paradise the same way Linux is. its built for "performance" there is also a reason that its freeware google makes their money on ads and Android is one big Google ad
    01-28-13 07:22 AM
    From a consumer perspective, the mobile sector is in danger of becoming locked in to a apple/Samsung duopoly for at least ten years - the sheer size of those organisations and their economics of scale is making it very very difficult to compete. Even if we accept that Apple is on the decline - from a sales point of view, it is not happening fast enough to have a drastic impact in 2013.

Speak of the devil:

With various market analysis firms weighing in on end-of-year sales for smart phones, one trend is holding firm: Android and iPhone share a duopoly that controls over 90 percent of the market, leaving just a pittance for alternative platforms like Windows Phone and Blackberry. And that market is humongous, with a record 700 million units sold in 2012.

Strategy Analytics claims that Android controlled over 68 percent of the worldwide smart phone market for all of calendar year 2012, while Apple’s iPhone came in a distant second with over 19 percent. Combined, the two platforms controlled nearly 88 percent of the market for all of 2012.

And their combined dominance only increased throughout the year. In Q4 2011, Android controlled 51 percent of the market, with Apple coming in at 23.6 percent, Strategy Analytics claims, a combined share of 74.6 percent. By Q4 2012, Android market share had surged to over 70 percent, while iPhone came in at 22 percent. Together, these two platforms held over 92 percent of the market heading into 2013.
    Android and iPhone Achieve Smart Phone Duopoly
    01-28-13 08:10 AM
45 12