I'm going there.

They need to make an announcement to rain on the GS4 party. The GS4 is being shown (announced?) at the end of February at the 2013 Mobile World Congress. Rumored release is near the end of Q2.

Clearly, RIMM can't demo a Z11 at the end of February but they should have something better ready to show in Q2 when the GS4 is expected to be released.

GS4 has one thing that sacres me. 1920x1080. It's pointless but people will want it. 1280x720 makes an upgrade tough. RIMM would have to go to 2560x1440 to make apps work nicely. But that might be a stretch. 1920x1080 would work (1.5 multiple of 1280x720). The trick is getting legacy apps to render properly while the new ones can be made for the latest hardware.

I know I'm getting ahead of myself. I know RIMM internally is thinking about this kind of thing. But it seems pretty important. RIMM needs to be looking for the death-nail to go in others coffins, not the other way around.

NOTE: Having done actual research, I am worried less and less about iOS. It was an operating system built on "cool" and when you brand your company as a cool company, it will eventually become uncool. It's advertising 101. I've been waiting for iOS to die because of their approach to branding for a long time now. (I was laughing since I first saw ads for iOS devices). And now reports are saying that teenagers don't think it's cool anymore. Unless iOS starts making whoopee to people while in their pants pockets, it is going to crash and burn in time.
    Last edited by kfh227; 01-26-13 at 09:59 PM.
    01-26-13 09:43 PM
    I think Aristo has this taken care of
    01-26-13 09:46 PM
    Expect Blackberry to rain on the Android parade in May at Blackberry Live.

At least for the next 7 days we should be happy with what is to be revealed and satisfied.
    josaki, BB_Bmore, gokulesh and 2 others like this.
    01-26-13 09:47 PM
    As long as the software is smooth, it doesn't matter.
    The average consumer doesn't look at spec's (other than maybe the camera).
    They usually just play with it, and if they like it, they buy it.
    pmccartney and bitek like this.
    01-26-13 09:48 PM
    I think PlayBook 2 and Curve devices will be shown off at BlackBerry Live
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-26-13 09:49 PM
    Someone elsewhere mentioned that the GS4 will be able to run two apps in side by side mode. If that's true, RIMM needs to bring that to the table also. Does anyone know if this rumor is founded? I know this was shown in the recent "oh no, it's a BB7 phone" ad.

Seems like side by side would require the app to enable it. Such functionality for some games would be bad where disabling would be desired.

Of course, the RIMM OS could handle true multi-tasking. So that's not an issue.
    01-26-13 09:49 PM
    err firstly wtf!! no details have actually been released of the SGS4 (if its even called that!) and nobody has anything to prove when it will be announced either, although its worth noting many blogs think it`ll get a seperate non MWC release.

as for screen zsizes, youve lost me, where in this world did you get the 1440x720 dimension from?
    01-26-13 09:50 PM
    I think Aristo has this taken care of
    This is old but it frightens me:
    BlackBerry 10 Aristo spec sheet appears, calls for Quad-Core Krait | CrackBerry.com

Quad core is a must. Recent GS4 rumors say it is going 8 core though ....
    Also, 1280x720 needs to be improved upon. It needs to display real 1080p video ..... my OP does the math for that.
    01-26-13 09:52 PM
    So you want them to announce an upgrade to thier brand new flagship device a month after it launches?

Plz start taking your meds again.
    simu31, stberry, SF71 and 11 others like this.
    01-26-13 09:53 PM
    As long as the software is smooth, it doesn't matter.
    The average consumer doesn't look at spec's (other than maybe the camera).
    They usually just play with it, and if they like it, they buy it.
    Early adopters care and sadly, RIMM needs early adopters to adopt so that the technology is accepted by follow up consumers who are typically the friends of early adopters.

I'd like people working in stores selling devices state that people play with and buy with knowing nothing walking in the store. I just don't think that makes any sense unless there are studies around to back it up.
    Novaone likes this.
    01-26-13 09:55 PM
    So you want them to announce an upgrade to thier brand new flagship device a month after it launches?

Plz start taking your meds again.
    No, I said when the GS4 is released (not announced)
    Clinto likes this.
    01-26-13 09:55 PM
    I think it may be a bit early, BB10 still needs to make an impact. I think more marketing of BB10 and building a solid base/app environment and recognition is more important than new hardware at this point. You can deflate the GS4 party with more BB Z10 ads alone.

While I like the idea of more BB10 phones coming like a "Z11"... let us keep focus. To take a lesson from Apple, look at the iPhone refresh cycle and how they dominated the scene. Sure something to learn from them, even though I am not an Apple user, they know how to market.

Focus on fewer but better products and sell through higher numbers so that profit improves due to longer production runs, cheaper component costs and simpler designs (like a unibody all touch design) makes sense for RIM to survive at this point in the hardware business.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    01-26-13 09:56 PM
    Quad core is a must. Recent GS4 rumors say it is going 8 core though ....
    its not really 8 core in the traditional sense though, it`ll only have the power of a quad core device
    bb10_fan likes this.
    01-26-13 09:56 PM
    BlackBerry 10 on January 30th, release BlackBerry 10.1 update during BlackBerry Live May is fine with me.
    01-26-13 09:57 PM
    No, I said when the GS4 is released (not announced)
    You edited your original post.
    01-26-13 10:00 PM
    err firstly wtf!! no details have actually been released of the SGS4 (if its even called that!) and nobody has anything to prove when it will be announced either, although its worth noting many blogs think it`ll get a seperate non MWC release.

as for screen zsizes, youve lost me, where in this world did you get the 1440x720 dimension from?
    Had it in my head that qwerty is 720x720 and fullscreen is 2x that (1440x720). Fixed my posts. 1280x720.

What is sad, is I had this in my head for the longest time.
    01-26-13 10:01 PM
    i concur. now says at bottom of post: Last edited by kfh227; Today at 03:59 AM
    01-26-13 10:02 PM
    Early adopters care and sadly, RIMM needs early adopters to adopt so that the technology is accepted by follow up consumers who are typically the friends of early adopters.

I'd like people working in stores selling devices state that people play with and buy with knowing nothing walking in the store. I just don't think that makes any sense unless there are studies around to back it up.
    Really?
    Look at iPhone sales, they are extremely good, right?
    All Apple devices have HORRIBLE hardware [compared to top of the line Android devices], yet people still buy it because the OS works well.
    This is what RIM is going for, they have already stated that they won't be playing the hardware game.
    Also, for Android to function nicely, it needs these spec's, BB10 doesn't need these spec's to function well...
    01-26-13 10:05 PM
    i concur. now says at bottom of post: Last edited by kfh227; Today at 03:59 AM
    and when I checked it was 10:56. Keeps going up!
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    01-26-13 10:06 PM
    cant please everyone i guess. For 90% of the general public the z10 is great, better than great. RIM stated they are not in a spec race and obviously they never have. They dont need to.
    01-26-13 10:07 PM
    Really?
    All Apple devices have HORRIBLE hardware, yet people still buy it because the OS works well.
    This is what RIM is going for, they have already stated that they won't be playing the hardware game.
    Also, for Android to function nicely, it needs these spec's, BB10 doesn't need these spec's to function well...
    its far from horrible but purely on a spec sheet its not leading the pack. BUT it will benchmark with if not beyond the best most times.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-26-13 10:08 PM
    Really?
    All Apple devices have HORRIBLE hardware, yet people still buy it because the OS works well.
    What's horrible about the iPhone's hardware?

Sent from my Iphone 5 using Tapatalk
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-26-13 10:11 PM
    Drat, ya I wasn't clear. Fixed it
    01-26-13 10:12 PM
    its far from horrible but purely on a spec sheet its not leading the pack. BUT it will benchmark with if not beyond the best most times.
    Wrong choice of words, I meant to say horrible compared to top of the line Android devices, will edit that now.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-26-13 10:12 PM
    What's horrible about the iPhone's hardware?

Sent from my Iphone 5 using Tapatalk
    Depends who you ask lol. Ask someone with a love for Android and they will tell you its horrible because it doesn't have 38 cores.

Ask someone who understands the marriage of hardware and software and they will tell you the Iphone has what it needs to be a smooth,fast device.
    01-26-13 10:15 PM
45 12