For the limited time I had a storm and my term in crackberry one thing stands out

not the addicts..honestly put the thing down your arm will not fall off!

But the way RIM conducts it'self. it seems to continually promote,allow leaks and unstable phones(the storm is the iconic screw up) and when it knows it's all gone wrong they are very tight lipped and bury their head in the sand or in one famous case ..thats what it does put up with it..

It seems almost able to self harm it'self in a way the competition could only wish to achieve

I was in an airport yesterday and looking for something to read I bought a magazine which gave ten famous business quotes I saw one from Steve jobs and I will use it as the iphone always seems to be quoted as the opposition to blackberry

He said..sometimes when you innovate you make mistakes,it's best to admit them quickly and get on with improving your other innovations

now Iphone was not a perfect launch nor was everything quicksmart but they did listen and most of thier shifted sold units are actually sold and not like the storm when they say so many shifted units but do not then declare that two thirds of them shifted were replacements for faulty storms

now to the point of my rant

Rim seems either to be a very arrogant or totally inept company especially when it comes to customer feedback,new product releases, correction of faults and general likeability

I know they are the market leaders of push email units but the others are rapidly catching up and that arrogance will not be tolerated when the opposition is equal

is it just me?
    06-05-09 09:46 AM
    Agreed, how these phones have such serious OS problems at launch blows my mind.

But I think any gamers out there will agree that Valve is the worst company for delays, they make RIM look like saints.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-09 10:49 AM
    They have push email.. they built the Blackberry completely around push email.

Listen to the AllThingsD.com interview with Walt Mossberg and Mike L. from RIM.. every time Walt puts Mike on the hotspot, he keeps going back to push email.

yes push email is great, but there's other things they need to fix also..What exactly has happened to the OS that has really brought it out as a great mobile OS? nothing really.. their attempt at HTML email sucks, there's java errors STILL, AppWorld is a failure.. why put an app up on AppWorld and have RIM's hands in your pot, when you can just host it yourself? Makes no sense.

I really do hope RIM can turn things around..they make great hardware.. just the OS really blows..

And we're in the "next generation" of phones RIM.. GET RID OF SEPARATE DEVICE/APPLICATION STORAGE GDMIT!
    06-05-09 10:49 AM
    You are confusing Research in Motion with your carrier. They are responsible for support issues after they accept a product for distribution.

unstable phones(the storm is the iconic screw up) ...
    The facts do not support your argument, the majority of Storm owner are satisfied with the current state of development of the software. We have a disproportionate segment of the vocal minority, members that will not be satisfied until they tweak the last bit of performance from the device.

06-05-09 12:40 PM
    Hi Reed

I don't feel I am confusing rim with the carrier, it was any carriers exec that made the infamous quote about thats how it is deal with it, it wasn't any carrier that had to replace the storm once twice even three times over because of carrier fault, it was in fact replaced many times over because of a phone fault and there are many cases even in here listed.

I agree some are happy with it but question how many of those who are locked into a two year contract and of those who got a buy one get one free with the second ending up on ebay

My point is that largely rim released the storm unready, annoyingly unready and unfit for purpose that left the carriers dealing with a lot of customer complaints and left many storm owners relying on places like crackberry to get the thing working as it should of been from the box and yet during that time they largely reacted like a rabbit in the headlights or a ostrich burying it's head in the stand

That in anybodys opinion has put a lot of people off blackberrys in particular the storm and that could have been avoidable

In todays ever increasing what value do you give for my $, RIM would have difficulty explaining it
    06-05-09 02:45 PM
    the majority of Storm owner are satisfied with the current state of development of the software. We have a disproportionate segment of the vocal minority, members that will not be satisfied until they tweak the last bit of performance from the device.
    Is there a press release that shows that most people are satisfied with their Storm, or is this just being said because we will never be able to find out? I really do not know how people were satisfied with the Stock OS. They really like their camera not working, or the accelerometer taking long to adjust the screen? Yes CrackBerry does have many people that hate it and love it. Not everyone here tries to tweak everything, people came here originally to find out about the Storm, and then to ask why the heck it has so many problems.

The Storm was just rated in the top 5 most hated phones. I think that can almost speak for itself.
    06-05-09 03:19 PM
    Agreed, how these phones have such serious OS problems at launch blows my mind.

But I think any gamers out there will agree that Valve is the worst company for delays, they make RIM look like saints.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

ROFL

Yes Valve is pretty dang bad...

As far as leaks with RIM...

you have people working all over the world for RIM some are not loyal to there company..

RIM also hands out OS' to third party's that are not directly in there company. IE verizon, IE AT&T

IE anybody who they have testing them...

There is going to be bad chickens out there that drop things on the internet..

Then of course there is also intentional leaks...

things they want to leak out to either get feedback or create hype...

A ton of companys do that....
    06-05-09 04:59 PM
    Yup..if RIM really wanted to stop the leaks, they could serial # print the OS' and each one was tied to a carrier.. that way they could eliminate them 1 at a time.

That, or do the Apple approach.. the beta leaks require a dev key to operate on the device.. =/
    06-05-09 05:02 PM
    Is there a press release that shows that most people are satisfied with their Storm, or is this just being said because we will never be able to find out?

The Storm was just rated in the top 5 most hated phones. I think that can almost speak for itself.
    Verizon posts improved Q4 earnings, strong Storm sales | The Industry Standard

Verizon posts improved Q4 earnings, strong Storm sales

The BlackBerry Storm smart phone, put on sale Nov. 21 exclusively by Verizon in the U.S., has sold 1 million units through January, company officials said Tuesday.

"That's not a bumpy start," a spokeswoman said Tuesday, in reaction to a recent report in the Wall Street Journal that characterized the rollout and a quick software update as "bumpy." ...
    A million Storms through Verizon in the first quarter, likely the same for each of the next couple quarters. Bell and Telus are likley to contribute another 300K. That is a lot of Storm owners that are not upset over the function of their BlackBerry.

The updates come as rewards for patience. Verizon has mastered the OTA process. '.148 is very good.

The engineers are Reseach in Motion are doing what they do best, improving the product.
    That bodes well for satisfied Storm users for years to come.

I can't comment on the survey you quote, but I am certain BlackBerry tops most surveys and there is no question who is on top, with nearly 60% of Smartphone sales.
    06-05-09 07:23 PM
    Verizon posts improved Q4 earnings, strong Storm sales | The Industry Standard

A million Storms through Verizon, Bell and Telus are likley to contribute another 100K. That is a lot of Storm owners that are not upset over the function of their BlackBerry.

The updates come as rewards for patience. Verizon has mastered the OTA process. '.148 is very good.

The engineers are Reseach in Motion are doing what they do best, improving the product.
    That bodes well for satisfied Storm users for years to come.
    That's an old article. What about how many people returned the Storm or needed 8 replacements because the screen wouldn't click? I know RIM is a great company, I'm not knocking them but this article has nothing to do with customer satisfaction.
    06-05-09 07:34 PM
    My point is, the overwhelming majority of Storm owners are the silent majority. The ones we wonder, where did they all get too? We have grown to expect that, given BlackBerrys high degree of initial satisfaction and the active roll the carriers play in client support.

Research in Motion is growing subscribers by a couple million every quarter. That works out to 25K new BlackBerry owners every day, perhaps 30% of them Storm owners.

Plenty find us for free stuff, we are lucky to have a few sign into the forum and participate. Most of them will have a positive experience.

A few will have cause for complaint. We are the place to air out your anidotal concerns and share your experience.

Does Research in Motion include us in their feedback stream? I am sure they do, but we are advised RIM employees are warned against taking part, for good reason. ;
    06-05-09 08:49 PM
    Reed I appreciate and understand your direction

However you didn't reply to the drive of the post instead quoting company sales figures..I may point out that they would be sales to the carriers and do not disclose how many were two for one sales or units substituted for defective units.

Shifting units does not always mean sold units

as to not knowing about a few unhappy owners? really? check out crackberry's own storm section the vast majority of inputs are NOT storm owners saying they are happy

Any techno geek worth his salt knows that whilst RIM claims the storm was a success they know in fact it was a mass p.r disaster thats another reason why they have taken away the click screen.. they didn't take it away because it worked jeeeessss

the post was about RIM'S arrogance, poor product and inability to take hold and publicly say..we got it wrong..now let's fix it and make it right.

The storm 2 is being delayed not because it's not ready but because they still have a shedload of storm 1's to shift so expect many more two for 1 deals on the storm 1 and to sell the storm 2 now would leave dealers with stock they would be unable to sell..they already have many unhappy customers they can't afford to upset the retailers also

Reed I have to say your comments bere more of a resemblance to a pr guru from RIM than the owners who have commented on this board.

I admire your loyalty but ignoring the 1,000's of threads about the storms defects just doesn't seem right
    06-06-09 03:41 PM
    Reed I appreciate and understand your direction

However you didn't reply to the drive of the post instead quoting company sales figures..I may point out that they would be sales to the carriers and do not disclose how many were two for one sales or units substituted for defective units.

Shifting units does not always mean sold units

as to not knowing about a few unhappy owners? really? check out crackberry's own storm section the vast majority of inputs are NOT storm owners saying they are happy

Any techno geek worth his salt knows that whilst RIM claims the storm was a success they know in fact it was a mass p.r disaster thats another reason why they have taken away the click screen.. they didn't take it away because it worked jeeeessss

the post was about RIM'S arrogance, poor product and inability to take hold and publicly say..we got it wrong..now let's fix it and make it right.

The storm 2 is being delayed not because it's not ready but because they still have a shedload of storm 1's to shift so expect many more two for 1 deals on the storm 1 and to sell the storm 2 now would leave dealers with stock they would be unable to sell..they already have many unhappy customers they can't afford to upset the retailers also

Reed I have to say your comments bere more of a resemblance to a pr guru from RIM than the owners who have commented on this board.

I admire your loyalty but ignoring the 1,000's of threads about the storms defects just doesn't seem right

but they didn't take away the click screen..

they may have redesigned it a bit..

its a common guess that its going to be a bunch of small buttons instead of 1 under the center..

Either way there is plenty of storm users that are satisfied with there phone..
    06-06-09 03:48 PM
    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...RSKHSCJUNN2JVN

the bit that says..The biggest change, of course, is the fact that clicking SurePress display is gone, in favor of a regular touch-capacitive display that looks and acts more like the display on the iPhone.

so yes the click screen has gone only to be replaced by a standard touch screen

I understand that many are now happy with the storm 1

But I question wether thier storms are now running properly because of crackberry and it's members or RIM
    06-06-09 03:59 PM
    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...RSKHSCJUNN2JVN

the bit that says..The biggest change, of course, is the fact that clicking SurePress display is gone, in favor of a regular touch-capacitive display that looks and acts more like the display on the iPhone.

so yes the click screen has gone only to be replaced by a standard touch screen

I understand that many are now happy with the storm 1

But I question wether thier storms are now running properly because of crackberry and it's members or RIM

that articles old and the hardware isn't final...

we have much more reliable sources that have stated things a bit differently

also the RIM ceo saying that "surepress" is here to stay..

keep in mind every article you post is coming from the same information that I believe was posted on engadget first...

"clicking the screen was the MAJOR selling point of the storm" Taking it away would be one of the biggest blunders ever..

taking it away would be turning into the same haptic feedback that every other touch screen phone already has and would be nothing new..
    06-06-09 04:16 PM
    As far as delays go...

Considering Palm has been using the same OS with very minor tweaks for a decade and has been talking about a new OS for 4 or 5 years now and it just was released today...I would say Palm takes the cake
    06-06-09 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD