So watching Youtube is beneath BB users? Oh boy!

just because BB cant do youtube good doesn't mean there arent videos worth watching.

It's coming to a point where the weakness of a device is getting written off as a waste of time or something silly
    Oh man, you pick up on sarcasm...I actually watch youtube vids and for the record they work well and have an amazing pic, especially HD ones.

So you are trying to step higher up on the almighty pedestal huh? Me man, hear me roar!

Lighten up cave man...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 08:28 PM
    Y'all need to read, and then reread Kevin's Hierarchy of needs.

Some people need straight comm devices, while others need all the food in one basket, the others just need a texting monster; or a Youtube - multimedia monster. The important thing here is we have the choice to choose whatever device we feel best fits our needs. Needs change - the only differences are nature, and speed at which such occurs.

Then again, what a lot of the BB detractors are arguing is price point. Especially since the phones themselves are priced between $400-800, depending on where you look. But, with the way phones are subsidized, pricing has become a moot point, and more often than not, they're costing $200 - regardless of how old, or new the technology within is.

People can argue BBs have superior battery life, or what have you. People have to understand there are things affecting battery life. Every time you do a battery pull, there goes down a percentage point, or two. Every action you do on your phone is taking away battery life.

It's good RIM is transitioning to QNX because its Java-based OS is becoming more and more of a liability with more demanding applications being placed on it. The hour glass of h e l l is one mighty example of battery drain. Whenever you use the browser - since it's tapping into the radio, you're taking away chunks of the battery away. If you just let the phone sit, and take incoming data, it'll last for a day, and change. The argument over battery life will always be a moot point because it does come down to usage patterns, and the kind of power required to do the more advanced things offered by advanced hardware.

Battery life will be dictated by how often, and how hard you use your device - it doesn't matter what device it is, either.
    Nice to see some people round here can still be objective without ridicule of others, keep up the good work.

But to your point on cost, its an interesting subject as Las has made the point of saying (in a round about way) they will not be cutting edge to keep handsets affordable. As you say Carriers skew that by charging the same $200 for any new smartphone regardless of MSRP and basicly scamming their customers. It does feed people who don't know of other avenues of purchase that all $200 contract purchases should be "cutting edge" so they start to compare stat for stat and confuse themselves. Apple is the only one doing a great job of dodging the stat issue and marketing an experience, RIM could learn well from that. I think they did some in the Torch TV spots.
    01-11-11 08:42 PM
    During a normal 8 hour day with my 8520, surfing the web using text and phone calls I am usually around 70%.
    My buddy with his IPhone is looking for an outlet to charge his by 9:00. I have seen him charge his IPhone at least 3 times in an 8 hour day. I'm just saying...
    The difference is that your buddy is actually surfing the web, and your looking at a couple of crappy wap sites. And 3 times in an 8 hour day seems a little excessive.
    01-11-11 08:49 PM
    Oh man, you pick up on sarcasm...I actually watch youtube vids and for the record they work well and have an amazing pic, especially HD ones.
    I had a 9700 (check my post history) and any streaming videos including Youtube looked like complete crap. Maybe you have different 9700 than I did?
    01-11-11 08:53 PM
    I'm new to bb. Before this I had a symbian (sony ericsson p1i, i still love that device!). I really was thinking about android a lot! But in the end, the keyboard was what sold me to a blackberry.

Now since I have a blackberry i'm really beginning to appreciate the battery life. While it is the first phone for me to run out twice in a week (first week of heavy heavy usage), i see my colleagues with androids and iphones on a infuse of chargers. I mean the charger has become a required item here on the workfloor as no any iphone seems to last more than 3 hours. and there are 2g to 4g iphones here.

I can forego on youtube (but i might just get a unlimited data package) and to be honest, spending a whopping 550 euro's on a iphone is plain crazy. You can buy a very portable laptop for that price, you can browse a lot better with that than with an iphone any day.
    01-11-11 09:20 PM
    there are no 4G iphones....
    01-11-11 09:27 PM
    Mike L's battery life excuse is a red herring. The success of Android and iPhone proves there are plenty of customers who are willing to trade off battery life for bigger screens and higher performance. Obviously, RIM could offer higher performance QNX phones in the near term while continuing to offer their current line for those who value long battery life.

RIM is leaving money and market share on the table.

01-11-11 09:29 PM
    YouTube is better on my BB than on my iPhone 3G. That's good enough for me...

As for the battery, I can deal with more battery drain as long as I have the option of either replacing it as needed or using an oversized battery. Currently I use the Seidio 2600 mAH in my S2 and yes, I can drain it in less than a day. I'd be up isht creek without a paddle if I carried the iPhone during the day!

Sorry to keep bring up the old iPhone 3G, but that's my only comparison until I order the iP4 from Verizon next month.
    01-11-11 09:36 PM
    I think the fact there are spare, or extended batteries on the market, proves the issue of battery being moot very well.
    01-11-11 09:49 PM
    You can extend your phone's battery life (regardless which phone you got) by turning off 3G and all that extra stuff about location services, push notifications etc. Of course you gonna be stuck with a basic feature phone , but trust me, when you are stuck on a 10 hour flight and there are delays and cancellations and transfers, you will appriciate every single percentage of extra battery life.

Ok, this might not seem relevant to the topic..but still..
    01-11-11 11:06 PM
    I love me some battery life.
    01-11-11 11:46 PM
    I take these articles like a damn grain of salt. You just cannot take them as true.

01-12-11 12:40 AM
    Mike's customers, not us, the ones that buy 1000 devices from him at a time to keep their employees connected, are the ones that demand the battery life. Sure, a spare battery doesn't cost that much but multiple it by 1000, ad a battery charger to the list also.

I am not prepared to put up with low battery life and I'm willing to trade it for features or higher rez screen.

01-12-11 02:03 AM
    I used my mom's BB all day yesterday (literally). I don't see what the allure of the keyboard is. They aren't that good. Too small even for someone with small hands, and useless for two handed use. It's better than a Palm Pre keyboard, though - but it doesn't take much to top that.

The oddest thing I noticed about RIM devices, though... They release virtually the same phone on CDMA and GSM carriers, but usually cripple the GSM variants with less RAM and Flash Storage.

I was on the phone with T-Mobile to order a Curve 3G while checking out the same phone on Verizon and Sprint (Simultaneous Voice/Data is nice :P ) and cancelled when I realized the CDMA versions have twice the flash storage and RAM... /boggle/ ?

I'm not gonna buy a bold for $90 when all I want to do is BBM some family members and they wanna sell me a Curve 3G for $9.99....

So I'll check back when they are less ******** with their SKUs.

The PIM apps on the Blackberry also is terrible compared to even Windows Mobile PIM applications. The email delivery was fast, though. I checked that, but they all come through as only text. Does BBOS6 display HTML email?

Also, I noticed the cameras on them were very fast. Could take a clear picture even with the car bouncing around on the highway.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-12-11 at 03:34 AM.
    01-12-11 03:31 AM
    I used my mom's BB all day yesterday (literally). I don't see what the allure of the keyboard is. They aren't that good. Too small even for someone with small hands, and useless for two handed use. It's better than a Palm Pre keyboard, though - but it doesn't take much to top that.

The oddest thing I noticed about RIM devices, though... They release virtually the same phone on CDMA and GSM carriers, but usually cripple the GSM variants with less RAM and Flash Storage.

I was on the phone with T-Mobile to order a Curve 3G while checking out the same phone on Verizon and Sprint (Simultaneous Voice/Data is nice :P ) and cancelled when I realized the CDMA versions have twice the flash storage and RAM... /boggle/ ?

I'm not gonna buy a bold for $90 when all I want to do is BBM some family members and they wanna sell me a Curve 3G for $9.99....

So I'll check back when they are less ******** with their SKUs.

The PIM apps on the Blackberry also is terrible compared to even Windows Mobile PIM applications. The email delivery was fast, though. I checked that, but they all come through as only text. Does BBOS6 display HTML email?

Also, I noticed the cameras on them were very fast. Could take a clear picture even with the car bouncing around on the highway.
    If you just want bbm there's no need for 3G, text bbms seem to be faster on 2G, only pictures take a little longer to send, save your money.
    The keyboard is not all about typing, there's a million shortcuts on it in any app you are, in browser r-reload page, p-page address with the options to copy and send, space bar-page down, s-search in page, t-top of page, b-bottom of page etc etc, the list goes on in any part of the phone you are.
    Blackberry does get html emails, they're not perfect tho. You need to enable this feature in email settings and I'm pretty sure OS 4.5 could too, OS5 for sure.

Camera's are very very fast, perfect for spontaneous photos. There was an incident a while ago where I managed to take two photos of a passing google view car and my android friend just about managed to shoot the back of it even tho it was his idea to do it.

01-12-11 03:53 AM
    You can extend your phone's battery life (regardless which phone you got) by turning off 3G and all that extra stuff about location services, push notifications etc. Of course you gonna be stuck with a basic feature phone , but trust me, when you are stuck on a 10 hour flight and there are delays and cancellations and transfers, you will appriciate every single percentage of extra battery life.

Ok, this might not seem relevant to the topic..but still..
    That's exactly what happened to a android friend of mine coming back from US on a work trip when Northern Ireland was hit by heavy snow in December.

01-12-11 04:10 AM
    If you just want bbm there's no need for 3G, text bbms seem to be faster on 2G, only pictures take a little longer to send, save your money.
    The keyboard is not all about typing, there's a million shortcuts on it in any app you are, in browser r-reload page, p-page address with the options to copy and send, space bar-page down, s-search in page, t-top of page, b-bottom of page etc etc, the list goes on in any part of the phone you are.
    Blackberry does get html emails, they're not perfect tho. You need to enable this feature in email settings and I'm pretty sure OS 4.5 could too, OS5 for sure.

Camera's are very very fast, perfect for spontaneous photos. There was an incident a while ago where I managed to take two photos of a passing google view car and my android friend just about managed to shoot the back of it even tho it was his idea to do it.

if its on a CDMA network you can differentiate between 2g/3g settings. At least for VZW. Its all 3G unless you cant get a 3g signal, then it will switch the 1X. But the setting is not there to do it manually
    01-12-11 11:35 AM
    if its on a CDMA network you can differentiate between 2g/3g settings. At least for VZW. Its all 3G unless you cant get a 3g signal, then it will switch the 1X. But the setting is not there to do it manually
    T-Mobile is GSM.

The reason why I passed on the phone is because it's basically the same phone as the Verizon 9330, but monumentally worse (half the flash storage and SDRAM). RIM, get it together, sha.

I may sell my Android and move over to Verizon and get the iPhone, though, when it launches. If I do that I may get an extra Curve 3G there since the device wouldn't feel like a paperweight and waste of an extra line like the GSM Curve 3G.
    01-12-11 12:25 PM
    T-Mobile is GSM.

The reason why I passed on the phone is because it's basically the same phone as the Verizon 9330, but monumentally worse (half the flash storage and SDRAM). RIM, get it together, sha.

I may sell my Android and move over to Verizon and get the iPhone, though, when it launches. If I do that I may get an extra Curve 3G there since the device wouldn't feel like a paperweight and waste of an extra line like the GSM Curve 3G.
    yeah i wasnt sure what phone you ended up with lol
    01-12-11 12:45 PM
    Plug it into the laptop like I do during the day. Because yes, you will STILL be mobile.
    yes you`ll still be mobile, but that fails as an arguement on two points

1) need of a laptop, thats adding bulk to my daily out and about life, only truly viable if you use a laptop normally

2) sucks juice outta ya laptop, your just moving the battery life away from your laptop meaning you`ll get less done on ya laptop. yes it wont take alot i guess, but if ya need to charge ya phone you`ll need the laptop turned on, so if it isnt in use then that escalates the laptops power useage
    01-12-11 01:06 PM
    The point I was trying to make was based on ML's comments at CES. RIM's excuse for not having phones that compete with the competition is based on battery life. That is how I see it and I think it is a cop-out.

I fall into the category of a guy who needs a phone for reliable email, text, and phone calls. I do not need tons of apps. The problem is I find myself surprised at how many times I am trying to find something on the internet or trying to find a video and my Tour is sitting there completely incapable of performing the task at hand. What I am trying to say is even though I do not NEED the power if I am buying a flagship device (which maybe the Tour wasn't in retrospect lol) I think I should have the extra power under the hood.

Another point is how ML mentioned "dual core" processors. I think that it is foolish to think they will make the jump from the 628 mhz processor found in the 9780 to dual core when over the last couple years the only enhancement was from 528 mhz to 628 mhz... just my opinion.

Just to summarize as RIM moves forward I think they should be more open to the idea of sacrificing battery life for power. Don't let battery life be a constraint. If people want to go 2 days they can always get a bigger battery! haha
    01-12-11 01:10 PM
    My old Mattel handheld blip football game ran for day on a 9 volt. Come to think of it, that technology from the 70's was actually superior to my old Curve.
    01-12-11 01:47 PM
    During a normal 8 hour day with my 8520, surfing the web using text and phone calls I am usually around 70%.
    My buddy with his IPhone is looking for an outlet to charge his by 9:00. I have seen him charge his IPhone at least 3 times in an 8 hour day. I'm just saying...

I feel like people who talk this non sense is referring to the early iPhones (iPhone 3G and 3GS).....we are passed that. iPhone 4 battery life is definitely on par with BB's. For example, i unplugged my iphone 4 last night around 12 am......didn't charge it overnight. Been texting, emailing, instant messaging.....basically the whole day today.....Im at 70% at 3:30pm. Blackberry cannot gloat on their battery life anymore as a selling point to their device. Android...Apple...are making powerful devices that lasts just as long as the blackberry.....

I agree with the guy who was in the office for hours and didn't want to use his blackberry or his wife's bb. Instead, connect touches to wifi and enjoy yourself. Nobody is saying you HAVE to play games on the androids and iPhones.....but at least you have that option without sacrificing much of the battery. You can BBM, Instant message, Web Surf, talk, email ect all day on the BB? Guess what? So can the iPhone 4......Don't get me wrong....the 9780 is a great device. I just dislike that people put the BB on this high pedestal in regards to battery life and great communication you get with it........iPhone 4 does the same thing.

The only pros and cons on either device is simple..........

Physical Keyboard Vs Virtual Keyboard.

Simple as that......but guess what.....it just my opinion
    lssanjose likes this.
    01-12-11 02:40 PM
    I feel like people who talk this non sense is referring to the early iPhones (iPhone 3G and 3GS).....we are passed that. iPhone 4 battery life is definitely on par with BB's. For example, i unplugged my iphone 4 last night around 12 am......didn't charge it overnight. Been texting, emailing, instant messaging.....basically the whole day today.....Im at 70% at 3:30pm. Blackberry cannot gloat on their battery life anymore as a selling point to their device. Android...Apple...are making powerful devices that last longer than the blackberry.....

I agree with the guy who was in the office for hours and didn't want to use his blackberry or his wife's bb. Instead, connect touches to wifi and enjoy yourself. Nobody is saying you HAVE to play games on the androids and iPhones.....but at least you have that option without sacrificing much of the battery. You can BBM, Instant message, Web Surf, talk, email ect all day on the BB? Guess what? So can the iPhone 4......Don't get me wrong....the 9780 is a great device. I just dislike that people put the BB on this high pedestal in regards to battery life and great communication you get with it........iPhone 4 does the same thing.

The only pros and cons on either device is simple..........

Physical Keyboard Vs Virtual+Physical Keyboard.

Simple as that......but guess what.....it just my opinion
    Fixed. It is as simple as everything BlackBerry has, iPhone or Android has it better. Desire Z, HTC 7 Pro. Heck, you can even get a physical keyboard for the iPhone that slides/flips out.

ThinkGeek :: TK-421 iPhone Case with Flip-Out Keyboard
    01-12-11 03:07 PM
    Fixed. It is as simple as everything BlackBerry has, iPhone or Android has it better. Desire Z, HTC 7 Pro. Heck, you can even get a physical keyboard for the iPhone that slides/flips out.

ThinkGeek :: TK-421 iPhone Case with Flip-Out Keyboard
    LOL, you put that on your iphone and that's exactly what people are gonna think, think geek. Not to mention what the constant bluetooth connection will do to your battery.
    If anybody goes to that length they might as well buy the foldable full size bluetooth keyboard.

01-12-11 03:36 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD