Please hear me out on this one.

At CES... "Lazaridis said super-phones will have to have dual-core processors, and the current dual-core processor lineup can't provide the battery life, size, weight, thickness and cost". This is RIM's stance.

Now lets think of the customer. The hottest selling phones are 4.3" behemoths. This in fact rules out "size, weight, and thickness." The customer is also willing to foot the bill for 200-250 phones w/ 2 year plans so lets just say the "cost" can be passed on to the customer.

That leaves us with battery life. When I hit the bed last night my Tour had 54% battery left. AHHHH what a great feeling. I still put it on the charger for the night. It is common practice for smartphone owners to charge their phones every night. I would say most customers would trade off battery life for processor power (maybe I am wrong here).

Now I agree that battery life should be a design factor. It should NOT be the factor to prevent you from making phones that compete with the competition.

What will be funny is when RIM comes out with a dual core QNX phone that is using the same processors that are available today. Like somehow over the past 6 months the processors became more efficient even though they are the exact same. This will be laughable.

Somebody needs to tell RIM that it is "ok" to make a dual core smartphone that at the end of the day has 10% left on the battery... since that is obviously their only excuse for not making one. There are several posts that say "if only the PB specs where in a phone I'd be buying" to back me up.
    01-11-11 11:57 AM
    good post, i wish more BB owners would realize this. instead they use their wonderful battery life a crutch to why they think their BB is so awesome. But like you said, most all of us put the phone on the battery every night no matter what. so the point is pretty moot.

RIM should give the customer the CHOICE on if battery life is acceptable to them.
    01-11-11 12:02 PM
    good post, i wish more BB owners would realize this. instead they use their wonderful battery life a crutch to why they think their BB is so awesome. But like you said, most all of us put the phone on the battery every night no matter what. so the point is pretty moot.

RIM should give the customer the CHOICE on if battery life is acceptable to them.
    While i totally agree with the OP, and mostly this post, the question can be raised "Apple should also give their consumers a choice of whether they want to use itunes or not", they don't and yet those devices sell like hotcakes.
    PhantomS10 likes this.
    01-11-11 12:24 PM
    While i totally agree with the OP, and mostly this post, the question can be raised "Apple should also give their consumers a choice of whether they want to use itunes or not", they don't and yet those devices sell like hotcakes.
    Thank Apple marketing for that. Let's not forget that some people also kiss the ground Steve Jobs walks on and will buy anything he puts out. RIM/Android/WP7 and even Nokia don't have that extreme of a "cult" following.
    1812dave likes this.
    01-11-11 12:33 PM

They are hanging on to what little BB has to offer now a days.

Battery life while important to be isn't a deal breaker.

There is no 100% perfect device, there will always be a trade off or something to sacrifice for better functionality.

BB are great on battery life because there really isn't anything powerful to power. Weak processors and small low resolution plastic screens don't require much juice.
    01-11-11 12:46 PM
    My mum gets a **** of a lot more battery life out of her iPhone 4 than I get out of my non-3G, non-GPS, non-pretty-much-everything BlackBerry Curve 8520. Battery life isn't even there with RIM. I've had this phone about a month, and even from full charge, I cannot get a full day's use out of it!

And yes, BlackBerry owners are gonna scorch me and say its a faulty battery, but Carphone Warehouse make SURE that everything is in working order before shipping out the replacement, so you can't give me that bull!
    01-11-11 12:46 PM
    What will be funny is when RIM comes out with a dual core QNX phone that is using the same processors that are available today. Like somehow over the past 6 months the processors became more efficient even though they are the exact same. This will be laughable.
    It would only be funny if you could compare the intstructions per second of what's out at the time.
    It's like the old Gigahertz war between Intel and AMD.
    You market the fact that you have a 5Ghz proc but neglect to say that the competition's CPU can do the same amount of work with only 4Ghz. If RIM (or anyone else for that matter) could squeeze more juice out of a slower CPU with a better OS and pay less for the hardware, why shouldn't they? They could always decide to throw in a quicker CPU for their high end devices.

I would rather they got the OS, UI and applications right first and then move on to the hardware.
    01-11-11 12:51 PM
    I disagree, I want the most battery life out of my berry, bigger screens faster processors access to youtube and junk like that doesnt interest me, I feel like switching back to my 9700 or a 9780 for the incredible battery life, I'd rather be connected longer than faster,
    01-11-11 02:02 PM
    I disagree, I want the most battery life out of my berry, bigger screens faster processors access to youtube and junk like that doesnt interest me, I feel like switching back to my 9700 or a 9780 for the incredible battery life, I'd rather be connected longer than faster,
    If I had a dollar for every time someone with a Blackberry complained how pi$$ poor viewing Youtube on a Blackberry is I would be a millionaire.

You are among a small minority of Blackberry owners who satisfied with an uncompetitive and low performing device.
    sallenthornton likes this.
    01-11-11 02:06 PM
    I don't think Mike's comments had as much to do with "battery life" as they did with "cost". RIM's waiting to buy dual core chips when they have become cheaper to manufacture..thus putting more money in RIM's pockets..because you know they won't be putting those saving's back into the consumers pockets.

Low cost hardware for high end dollar.
    01-11-11 02:15 PM
    I'm with you on all of that. I want to be ready for any long days that may come my way. BlackBerry security and push email are also up there on the list of importance for me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 04:07 PM
    While I LIKE good battery life, it isn't too cool to have a nearly useless device, but one that you can brag on the battery life about. My wife and I were both sitting in an office today for a couple hours (waiting) and rather than use our BB's, I asked the receptionist if they had a password for their wifi. I got the pass word, and we both happily used our touchs for the duration of our stay. I'd much rather have a GREAT device that I have to buy a $30 battery for, and simply swap it out as necessary. I want my phone to do it "all" (that doesn't mean I want a Jesus phone--I will be able to do pretty much everything I want, on an android)
    01-11-11 04:12 PM
    During a normal 8 hour day with my 8520, surfing the web using text and phone calls I am usually around 70%.
    My buddy with his IPhone is looking for an outlet to charge his by 9:00. I have seen him charge his IPhone at least 3 times in an 8 hour day. I'm just saying...
    01-11-11 04:39 PM
    If I had a dollar for every time someone with a Blackberry complained how pi$$ poor viewing Youtube on a Blackberry is I would be a millionaire.
    +1, even on WiFi, the quality sucks, and it also glitches, a LOT. I speak from experience here, Here, have another dollar (actually no, let's make it a pound, since it's worth more than a dollar)
    01-11-11 04:40 PM
    My mum gets a **** of a lot more battery life out of her iPhone 4 than I get out of my non-3G, non-GPS, non-pretty-much-everything BlackBerry Curve 8520. Battery life isn't even there with RIM. I've had this phone about a month, and even from full charge, I cannot get a full day's use out of it!

And yes, BlackBerry owners are gonna scorch me and say its a faulty battery, but Carphone Warehouse make SURE that everything is in working order before shipping out the replacement, so you can't give me that bull!
    Does your mom use her iPhone like a typical iPhone user uses it? If not and you are really heavy on your use, then maybe I can see that.

I used to get two days out of my bold 9700 and was pretty heavy. Now, since os6...I am constantly on it and have to charge every night and hit about 30% battery before doing so.

People just need to stop bishing about what product is better. Get what phone suites you and stop putting yourselves on a higher pedestal due to what phone you use. In thee end, it is just a phone for cripes sake...

Look at the bigger picture...

01-11-11 04:46 PM
    The thing is though, people expect blackberries to do everything. Thats not the case though, they are designed to be business phones not media centre phones.
    All I use my blackberry for is Facebook, Twitter, BBM, Texting and Calls. I'm absolutely pleased with my blackberry.

If you want a phone that has features that allow you to have amazing download speeds and have great video quality when watching youtube videos etc, then buy an iPhone or Android phone or Whatever else does that kind of crap.

To be honest, if I want to watch youtube videos ill do it at home in the comfort of my own chair and use my laptop to view it because that's what its designed for.
    01-11-11 05:03 PM
    +1, even on WiFi, the quality sucks, and it also glitches, a LOT. I speak from experience here, Here, have another dollar (actually no, let's make it a pound, since it's worth more than a dollar)
    Os6 solved a lot of my youtube problems. Comes in great! HD vids look amazing!

01-11-11 05:08 PM
    Carphone Warehouse make SURE that everything is in working order before shipping out the replacement
    the fact you think cpw even test a replacement made me laugh!!

battery life is totally down to useage patterns, i`ll happily agree as long as it lasts the FULL day (7am to 11pm) then im happy. by all means someone tell me to just plug it into the wall, cos thats totally MOBILE then ent it
    01-11-11 05:13 PM

You are among a small minority of Blackberry owners who satisfied with an uncompetitive and low performing device.
    People sit around and watch youtube on their phones?

I would personally take battery life over watching vids.
    pennyhorse likes this.
    01-11-11 05:31 PM

I'll second that!

pennyhorse likes this.
    01-11-11 06:56 PM
    I watch you tube...just not much, because honestly I don't get "that" bored...lol!

01-11-11 06:59 PM
    My mum uses hers like a typical iPhone user yes. As does my dad with his iPhone 3G
    And for the record, I need to use BlackBerry because I bought accessories that locked me down to the BlackBerry network. Expensive ones too, that take me a good amount of time to save up fo. I'm hoping that when I get my new Torch, I'll be able to buy a holster. Because then I can dock it in to charge when I get home, and use my Playbook for the evening. My BlackBerry lasts me through the day mostly, despite my heavy use (because most of the time, I give it a quick blast through my laptop at points). I've started reducing my usage (I was ultra-heavy), and the battery can get me through the day, although I still give it a quick blast during the day from time to time as a safety measure. The Torch however, I'll be using that a lot.

battery life is totally down to useage patterns, i`ll happily agree as long as it lasts the FULL day (7am to 11pm) then im happy. by all means someone tell me to just plug it into the wall, cos thats totally MOBILE then ent it
    Plug it into the laptop like I do during the day. Because yes, you will STILL be mobile.
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 01-11-11 at 07:07 PM.
    01-11-11 07:05 PM

Not everyone sits around and watches youtube all day BUT when I need to watch a tech review or informative youtube video and I don't have access to a computer, I'm thankful I have a device that can do it better than an BB or iPhone.

It's your prerogative to have a crippled device, I'd rather have a well rounded device that can handle all aspects of the internet and handle them well on the go.
    01-11-11 07:53 PM
    I watch you tube...just not much, because honestly I don't get "that" bored...lol!

So watching Youtube is beneath BB users? Oh boy!

just because BB cant do youtube good doesn't mean there arent videos worth watching.

It's coming to a point where the weakness of a device is getting written off as a waste of time or something silly
    01-11-11 07:58 PM
    Y'all need to read, and then reread Kevin's Hierarchy of needs.

Some people need straight comm devices, while others need all the food in one basket, the others just need a texting monster; or a Youtube - multimedia monster. The important thing here is we have the choice to choose whatever device we feel best fits our needs. Needs change - the only differences are nature, and speed at which such occurs.

Then again, what a lot of the BB detractors are arguing is price point. Especially since the phones themselves are priced between $400-800, depending on where you look. But, with the way phones are subsidized, pricing has become a moot point, and more often than not, they're costing $200 - regardless of how old, or new the technology within is.

People can argue BBs have superior battery life, or what have you. People have to understand there are things affecting battery life. Every time you do a battery pull, there goes down a percentage point, or two. Every action you do on your phone is taking away battery life.

It's good RIM is transitioning to QNX because its Java-based OS is becoming more and more of a liability with more demanding applications being placed on it. The hour glass of h e l l is one mighty example of battery drain. Whenever you use the browser - since it's tapping into the radio, you're taking away chunks of the battery away. If you just let the phone sit, and take incoming data, it'll last for a day, and change. The argument over battery life will always be a moot point because it does come down to usage patterns, and the kind of power required to do the more advanced things offered by advanced hardware.

Battery life will be dictated by how often, and how hard you use your device - it doesn't matter what device it is, either.
    pennyhorse likes this.
    01-11-11 08:02 PM
65 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD