I'm wondering if I'm correct about this. Lazaridis recently said (a) that the tablet is the future of mobile computing and (b) this allows phones to be focussed on communication and (c) that he's envisioning people eventually having both. Reading between the lines this is how I understand RIM's strategy -
    RIM believes
    (1) Current smartphones like the iPhone and Android are, or at least will soon be, in competition with the iPad, the playbook, the samsung tab and so on. Why? Because almost everything they offer is to be availed of not when moving but when sitting.
    (2) When most people have tablets for all the stuff iPhone and Android are good at there will be no room for the iPhone and Android. I have an iPad now. What does the iPhone give me in addition to it? A really crap device for phone calls and messaging on the move. The playbook will let you make calls over skype. Do you want an additional phone? Why? Blackberry will offer you a superb communications device for using on the move to complement you using your playbook while sitting.
    (3) The space for handsets that are not tablets will be dominated by the best calling and messaging machine, the other stuff won't matter, your tablet will do the other stuff better than any 4'' phone can.
    (4) within 2 -3 years current Blackberry users will have a tablet for all the play and a handset for calling and messaging while moving. Blackberry and Blackberry alone seem aware of this and poised to excel within this environment. I had an iPhone 3GS. I bought an iPad. I now have moved to Blackberry as my handset needs have shifted and the Blackberry (Bold series) is THE best option available to me.

I honestly believe that RIM is aware of this developing context and is alone in a position to excel within it.

I know I may well sound like a RIM fan boy but I've just recently moved back to Blackberry from an iPhone 3GS and this may be the honeymoon period!
    12-16-10 11:58 PM
    I came to bb from the lg lotus...........heck of a jump.I use MORE data too'1GB In 3 weeks lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-10 12:09 AM
    you're right about one thing. you sound like a typical rim fan boy...
    12-17-10 01:24 AM
    When the tech is available, why would you want a smartphone that's limited in functionality when you can have one that does it all? You'd use a tablet if you need a bigger screen, but why be just as tied down to a tablet for functionality as people are now to their laptops when their Blackberry can't do something.

RIM's making a mistake keeping the tech limited on the phone and telling people to use a tablet for all the stuff other smartphones can already do. It's stupid. People want smaetphones and the tech moved in that direction because of a need to have a multitasker device. Multitakers will always win in the end because of cost vs features and uses. You have to be stupid to buy two things to do the same amount of stuff another platform can do in one device. Why waste the money?

12-17-10 01:28 AM
    When the tech is available, why would you want a smartphone that's limited in functionality when you can have one that does it all? You'd use a tablet if you need a bigger screen, but why be just as tied down to a tablet for functionality as people are now to their laptops when their Blackberry can't do something.

RIM's making a mistake keeping the tech limited on the phone and telling people to use a tablet for all the stuff other smartphones can already do. It's stupid. People want smaetphones and the tech moved in that direction because of a need to have a multitasker device. Multitakers will always win in the end because of cost vs features and uses. You have to be stupid to buy two things to do the same amount of stuff another platform can do in one device. Why waste the money?

I have a netbook, it's used for when my desktop is editing large and long video projects, I have a blackberry and I use it for messaging, mobile uploads. I don't need any more, as I need to save money, I don't need to (speaking for every low-income dweller) waste it on things I don't need at all. Heck, I ditched the metropass for a bicycle and have never been happier as I actually have cash to spend on food/entertainment.

12-17-10 03:28 AM

This is a very good point.

Lazaridis flagged three areas (1) Tablets (2) High powered smartphones and (3) communications devices. RIM will fight on all three fronts but are very much behind in (2) as the Torch is deficient (of course Lazaridis didn't say this!) The Torch was just a OS6 floater, a pointer to the future.

RIM believe that (2) will be the least significant area in a few years due to the fact that - why would you choose a 4'' platform rather than a 7'' when 4'' is, relatively, woefully deficient in the areas in which 7'' excels? Movies and books are great on an iPad, crap on an iPhone. RIM's market in North America has traditionally been people who carry bags/cases to work. This market will not settle for 4'', RIM reckons. Also, can everybody afford a 7'' and a 4'' (when sitting calls can be made face to face on both)? When people are choosing, RIM reckons, that people will choose the 7'' over the 4''.

Because of this they think (1) and (3) will be the perfect dovetail and (3) will ensure RIM's growth in Indonesia and, in time, in India.

(1) will be RIMS focus, they'll stick dual core into (2) when they can and (3) will be maintained (think the Bold platform) into the future.

I do believe that RIM should be ashamed of themselves for the Torch. It was a prototype, a model of where RIM are going in (2) but without the processor and screen needed to make a quality device in (2). They knew RIM loyalists would buy in big numbers.

Overall though you could well be right, people might just want a 4'' device as their sole device. If you are RIM's model is wrong and this will cost them.
    12-17-10 08:54 AM
    I agree i too have a netbook and a desk top computer and i typically will use my blackberry say on the bus or train instead of getting out my laptop.; for me multiple devices offers flexibility. Sometimes i prefer my berry over my netbook and vice versa.
    12-17-10 09:10 AM
  8. T
    I'm wondering if I'm correct about this. Lazaridis recently said (a) that the tablet is the future of mobile computing and (b) this allows phones to be focussed on communication and (c) that he's envisioning people eventually having both. Reading between the lines this is how I understand RIM's strategy -
    RIM believes
    (1) Current smartphones like the iPhone and Android are, or at least will soon be, in competition with the iPad, the playbook, the samsung tab and so on. Why? Because almost everything they offer is to be availed of not when moving but when sitting.
    (2) When most people have tablets for all the stuff iPhone and Android are good at there will be no room for the iPhone and Android. I have an iPad now. What does the iPhone give me in addition to it? A really crap device for phone calls and messaging on the move. The playbook will let you make calls over skype. Do you want an additional phone? Why? Blackberry will offer you a superb communications device for using on the move to complement you using your playbook while sitting.
    (3) The space for handsets that are not tablets will be dominated by the best calling and messaging machine, the other stuff won't matter, your tablet will do the other stuff better than any 4'' phone can.
    (4) within 2 -3 years current Blackberry users will have a tablet for all the play and a handset for calling and messaging while moving. Blackberry and Blackberry alone seem aware of this and poised to excel within this environment. I had an iPhone 3GS. I bought an iPad. I now have moved to Blackberry as my handset needs have shifted and the Blackberry (Bold series) is THE best option available to me.

I honestly believe that RIM is aware of this developing context and is alone in a position to excel within it.

I know I may well sound like a RIM fan boy but I've just recently moved back to Blackberry from an iPhone 3GS and this may be the honeymoon period!
    I agree, not that I would ever get a tablet, because I have a very nice laptop that goes with me ALMOST everywhere. I've always stated that I just don't expect my phone to be a laptop; I don't even WANT it to be that. I want my phone to be a BlackBerry, and its current features are the ones I need and desire from a handset. I won't be watching "Avatar" on a handset. My Curve does almost everything I need. I say almost, because I did like how fast the Torch loaded all the jpeg thumbnails from my media card.

12-17-10 02:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD