Any1 else love Nextel Direct Connect?, Since RIM holds the fort down in Government wouldn't it be smart to add that Walki-Talki service? The Government uses encrypted Motorola Radios, why not just add that encrypted radio to the Blackberry? (The Cops would be faster on the run holding 1 device lol). I always enjoyed having D.C as an option. 8350i was 1 of my favs. Any1 else think that would b a good idea?
    04-20-12 12:42 AM
    04-20-12 02:37 AM
    iDEN has/is going the way of the dodo. no one really uses it anymore. this day and age, people need a faster (iDEN data is like 75 kbps), popular, better covered network regardless of how reliable their PTT is. iDEN is outdated and slow. and Sprints attempts at converting iDEN Direct Connect users to their EVDO network (Qchat) and using hybrid phones (the iC series) also didnt really pick up. government agencies im sure still use it to some extent, but it isnt, nor ever will be, as strong as it was in the late 90's and early 2000's. Sprint has begun to phase out iDEN which should be done by next year.
    04-20-12 07:14 AM
    Wilkie talkie would not be a big draw for desk jobs. Field personnel could use it, but it would not be a draw for the larger federal workforce.
    04-20-12 07:23 AM
    I used to have a Nextel BB. While the direct-connect was great, the switch to AT&T for better devices made up for that loss. Nextel is dead, but that 2-way feature was great, but in retrospect probably really annoying to other employees hearing beeps and conversations as me and the other techs walked around the buildings.
    04-20-12 04:18 PM
    OMG there was one man on a train who kept using that walkie talkie feature. It drove me INSANE. Not only do I NOT want to hear the beeps, I do not want to be an unwilling party to a stranger's conversation.
    southlander likes this.
    04-21-12 07:04 AM
    you can use nextel walkie talkies like a phone and put the handset to your ear, it doesnt have to be on speaker.
    Jonathank likes this.
    04-21-12 01:12 PM
    I've heard that Sprint is phasing out iden fairly soon to free up the iden bandwidth for LTE. Sprint is implementing a new push-to-talk functionality which will be run on different spectrum. This means that push-to-talk functionality will be fragmented across different carriers that will support it which means that RIM would need to either host their own or experience yet another level of fragmentation to have to deal with when rolling out devices and OSes.
    04-21-12 01:25 PM
    you can use nextel walkie talkies like a phone and put the handset to your ear, it doesnt have to be on speaker.
    But is there any way to quiet that annoying beep?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    04-21-12 01:33 PM
    I have the BB Bold 9930 running on verizon, and verizon has their own ptt add on service. It works decently on the 3g network, little slow on 1x. RIM adding their own to all blackberries with os 10 would be a nice addition, then like bbm all blackberry owners could use it as opposed to just verizon users.
    04-21-12 06:33 PM
    Any1 else love Nextel Direct Connect?, Since RIM holds the fort down in Government wouldn't it be smart to add that Walki-Talki service? The Government uses encrypted Motorola Radios, why not just add that encrypted radio to the Blackberry? (The Cops would be faster on the run holding 1 device lol). I always enjoyed having D.C as an option. 8350i was 1 of my favs. Any1 else think that would b a good idea?
    worst idea ever

welcome to 1998
    04-21-12 07:41 PM
    Beep us works just like Nextel. I love the app try it out.
    Jonathank likes this.
    04-21-12 07:44 PM
    But is there any way to quiet that annoying beep?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    i think so. its been years since i used a PTT iDEN handset. if you turn the speaker off (which is on by default), you hear the beeps through the handset just as if you were on a private phone call.
    04-22-12 07:35 AM
    Beep us works just like Nextel. I love the app try it out.
    Beep Us is not in app world
    04-23-12 10:22 AM
    it is if you search beepus and not beep us
    04-23-12 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD