Does anyone know where there is a RIM store ...I'm from Ireland if it helps .

I think RIM should open more RIM stores . It will create more desperately needed jobs for people . Create more brand awareness and drive up sales hopefully .
    I would love to work in a RIM store . How cool would that be .

They should open one in Dublin and China too for that upcoming market .

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by bigpolla04; 07-15-10 at 08:35 PM.
    07-15-10 08:31 PM
    not as far as i know. RIM sells all of their products through carrier stores, websites or 3rd party sites. no need to open a brick and mortar storefront of their own. dont forget, products sold in an actual retail store will usually cost more since there is overhead. it doesnt make sense for them to do it.
    07-15-10 09:18 PM
    not as far as i know. RIM sells all of their products through carrier stores. no need to open a brick and mortar storefront of their own.
    Oh ok thx anyway . Would be cool though all the same .

07-15-10 09:20 PM
    they are HQ in canada and have backoffices im sure in other locations. but i def dont think they have stores.
    07-15-10 09:22 PM
    not as far as i know. RIM sells all of their products through carrier stores, websites or 3rd party sites. no need to open a brick and mortar storefront of their own. dont forget, products sold in an actual retail store will usually cost more since there is overhead. it doesnt make sense for them to do it.
    Actually the products would cost the same in a RIM store, as RIM sets the MSRP

the MSRP is based on RIM selling to the Carriers at one margin, and the carriers being able to sell with another margin, or discount the phones, as they please. RIM having it's own store means they don't have to deal with the added level of distribution.

as an Example, say for sake of argument the 9700 costs 200 to manufacture, RIM sells it to AT&T with a 50% market up so AT&T buys it for $300, AT&T in turn put a 50% Mark up on it, meaning you buy it at the Store for $450.

Each level in the chain only made 50%
    if RIM sold it direct to the end user for $450 in their store RIM actually makes 125% Markup which is a 55% Margin that is 20% better then they are averagely doing now, and on 20% extra they could easily Run a Brick and mortar, as accessories would drive the overall Margin up.

The Challenge for RIM lies in the way it works with Carriers, a RIM store would go against the distribution channels, and would probably require RIM to discount further or increase MSRP for the Carriers.

as you might guess, I'm in Manufacturing, and sell into distribution channels.
    07-15-10 10:51 PM
    well then you are the best person to answer this question.
    07-15-10 11:41 PM
    According to Wikipedia...

"In December 2007 a BlackBerry Store opened in Farmington Hills, Michigan. While it is the only BlackBerry store currently in existence (My note: This contradicts the last sentence), it actually was not the first. There were three prior attempts at opening BlackBerry stores in Toronto, London, and Charlotte, but they eventually folded. The store offers BlackBerry device models from AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint, the major U.S. carriers which offer smartphones. Employees are trained not only on the BlackBerry devices themselves but in the practices of each service provider. There is also an unofficial BlackBerry store called BlackStore in Caracas, Venezuela, because of the BlackBerry brand's popularity in Venezuela, especially in Caracas and Maracaibo, making Venezuela one of the biggest BlackBerry consumers in the world. There is also a BlackBerry Store in the Atlanta airport."

I checked out the Farmington Hills one. It exists. You can even see it on Google Maps Streetview.

Picture from Engadget:

From BBGeeks, the picture of the Atlanta store:

Edit: So apparently these aren't really "official" RIM stores as Wireless Giant is a separate company specializing in cellular stores. Whether they have RIM permission or whatnot, I have no idea. But these would be Blackberry Stores for just Blackberrys
    Last edited by soccernamlak; 07-16-10 at 10:23 AM.
    07-16-10 10:21 AM
    BlackBerry stores but not RIM stores.
    07-16-10 10:36 AM
    There are 3 or 4 BlackBerry stores, mostly they are in Airports, and the 2 biggies are the Michigan store, which is the Flagship store, and the one in the Atlanta airport, which I have actually been too. I believe there are plans for one in the Philly Airport but it's not yet built.

EDIT: Yes I believe they ARE 3rd Party and not own by RIM, just authorized by RIM.
    07-16-10 10:41 AM
    BlackBerry stores but not RIM stores.
    RIM = Research in Motion. they make the Blackberry.

The only product they offer is the Blackberry, so RIM Store = Blackberry Store.

http://www.rim.com/products/
    07-16-10 10:46 AM
    Wrong.

A RIM store would indicate that it is owned and operated by RIM. These are not not.
    07-16-10 10:59 AM
    I'm not going to say who it is, BUT a CBer that I know works for the company that owns the Stores. They are 3rd Party, but RIM has authorized them.
    07-16-10 11:02 AM
    ive been to the atl one, and i believe there is another in......george bush intercontinental or charlottesville cant remember for certain
    07-16-10 11:15 AM
    Wrong.

A RIM store would indicate that it is owned and operated by RIM. These are not not.
    I won't get into it with you, my wife works in real-estate law, that handles sunglasses, and vision glasses...

The name of the Company is Luxottica Retail.

for example Luxottica retail that happens to own Oakley EyeWare...

If they open a store, that is going selling Oakley EyeWare exclusively, they don't open a "Luxottica Store", the open a "Oakley store"....

I won't debate this one with you.... when the rubber meets the road, they are one in the same.
    07-16-10 11:51 AM
    Well I really do wish they would open a proper RIM store . I would easily spend a 1000 in there on products . They could easily make there money on accessories and really push products out the door . Like the blackberry tablet and create a mountain of jobs at the same time .

Promote all the new stuff quicker instead getting carriers to do it , do it as a franchise too as it was said above .

Come on RIM bring a store to Ireland please .... Open a proper RIM STORE .

07-16-10 01:15 PM
    check your local Airport we have a BB store here at Atlanta Hartsfield Airport. Bunch of overpriced products.
    07-16-10 03:45 PM
    RIM = Research in Motion. they make the Blackberry.

The only product they offer is the Blackberry, so RIM Store = Blackberry Store.

Research In Motion - Products

That isn't the case,

a Blackberry Store can be an Authorized reseller of ONE of RIM's products,

the Blackberry is the primary RIM product, and a Blackberry reseller would also be selling RIM approved products that are labelled "Blackberry" like head sets and Cases, and chargers, they are not produced by RIM but have authorization to license the name Blackberry.

Beyond RIM selling Blackberry's they Sell, BES, they Sell MVS, and these alone have a lot to offer in terms of actual products/ Solutions that RIM sell/ produces.

It has been said in this thread that RIM doesn't own the Stores, so we really are riding a dead horse, but I wanted to clarify because who your wife works for does one thing does NOT mean all are done that way.
    07-16-10 04:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD