I really hope that RIM steps up soon after seeing what happened with HP today. HP is giving up on phones, tablets, and EVEN COMPUTERS! Now the only thing the average joe will know them for would be printers.

I really do not want to see RIM leave the market anytime soon, and to be honest, with the 9900, this may be the golden ticket to bring them back up in consumer's minds, as well as business users. I hope RIM realizes they need the QNX devices out faster than they originally had thought. Maybe RIM could buy up some of those now abandoned WebOS patents?
    08-19-11 02:10 AM
    I thought they already stepped up, new phones, speedup qnx phone, what more you want?
    08-19-11 04:13 AM
    I think with these new lines of phones they've shown that they're not dead and have no plans to mimic HP for the forceable future.

Sit and watch things turn around for the better.
    08-19-11 05:21 AM
    I have hoped for the same thing. The OS7 (6.1) is a band-aid. Unfortunately, RIM is losing popularity in the US. It is only a matter of time before they start doing so globally.

Apple is destroying companies, like HP, Nokia, and RIM. The iPhone 5 will do even more damage.

I really wish RIM did more, but the Playbook flop and the OS7 really didnt do anything to keep me as a BB user.
    08-19-11 08:22 AM
    I agree I mean macbooks and ipads are way too popular, our alone hope is blackberry and but to be honest apple is pretty big and will destroy anything in its path. I'm saying this even though I love rim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Caymancroc likes this.
    08-19-11 11:21 AM
    I think the sentiment on RIM is changing. Regurgitating the "Rim is doomed" concensus of the media isn't cool anymore, it's actually embarrassing and lame. After a year of railing on RIM as being a dead company and having no chance, yet somehow it still turns out good phones and still makes money a year later, it sort of wears on people. People can only read the same story for a small time. The story was exaggerated and premature, but everybody jumped on it because it was the "hot topic".

Anyone that writes a "RIM is dead" story looks so 2010. It's been done, nobody cares anymore. The next big story is RIM's comeback. It'll get lots of hits because people like to read something contrary to their previous belief.

EDIT: Just read any recent anti-RIM article, most of the comments are pro-RIM. It's not cool to be a RIM-bashing fanboy anymore.
    danimalchil likes this.
    08-19-11 12:39 PM
    I think the sentiment on RIM is changing. Regurgitating the "Rim is doomed" concensus of the media isn't cool anymore, it's actually embarrassing and lame. After a year of railing on RIM as being a dead company and having no chance, yet somehow it still turns out good phones and still makes money a year later, it sort of wears on people. People can only read the same story for a small time. The story was exaggerated and premature, but everybody jumped on it because it was the "hot topic".

Anyone that writes a "RIM is dead" story looks so 2010. It's been done, nobody cares anymore. The next big story is RIM's comeback. It'll get lots of hits because people like to read something contrary to their previous belief.

EDIT: Just read any recent anti-RIM article, most of the comments are pro-RIM. It's not cool to be a RIM-bashing fanboy anymore.
    Agreed. The only difference now is that it is a year or two later and RIM still hasn't responded with anything worth my money. On top of that, very loyal users (like myself, have been using BB for many years) are finally giving up hope and taking their business elsewhere.

So your "2010" story might be 2010, but in 2012 if RIM keeps up their current lame approach to releasing things, then you might see those 2010 stories come true (e.g. End of RIM).
    chiefbroski likes this.
    08-19-11 01:59 PM
    I get real tired seeing this mantra of, if RIM is not successful in the US market it is obviously going under :-/ I hate to break this to you, but RIM could shut down operations in the US and not sell a single phone and still be a highly profitable company selling it's phones to the rest of the world. I have no doubt at all that even if the new OS7 BB sell very well in the US, sales in India alone with dwarf those in the US. And that is just one country. Add in Asia, Middle East, South America and the Carribean, and the UK, EU and Russia, and I'm pretty sure RIM will be doing just fine.

Yes they have dropped the ball for the past 2 years as far as new products, but that is over now, and they are well on their way to forging their future product line. The OS7 phones are as good as anything on the market now as an overall package. Maybe they are not for everyone, but they certainly have a strong market for them.

So this is a 2011 story of success, but if you are one of the people that still don't see what you like in the new BB's fine move on, but RIM will being doing just fine.

CS
    08-19-11 02:55 PM
    I think with these new lines of phones they've shown that they're not dead and have no plans to mimic HP for the forceable future.

Sit and watch things turn around for the better.
    Apple isn't destroying HP. HP is changing their business plan to compete in the same sector as IBM.
    08-19-11 03:04 PM
    I get real tired seeing this mantra of, if RIM is not successful in the US market it is obviously going under :-/ I hate to break this to you, but RIM could shut down operations in the US and not sell a single phone and still be a highly profitable company selling it's phones to the rest of the world. I have no doubt at all that even if the new OS7 BB sell very well in the US, sales in India alone with dwarf those in the US. And that is just one country. Add in Asia, Middle East, South America and the Carribean, and the UK, EU and Russia, and I'm pretty sure RIM will be doing just fine.

Yes they have dropped the ball for the past 2 years as far as new products, but that is over now, and they are well on their way to forging their future product line. The OS7 phones are as good as anything on the market now as an overall package. Maybe they are not for everyone, but they certainly have a strong market for them.

So this is a 2011 story of success, but if you are one of the people that still don't see what you like in the new BB's fine move on, but RIM will being doing just fine.

CS
    So true.
    The 9900 is selling like crazy in India. Retailers are selling their stock almost as it reaches them.
    The phones are selling at almost $100 above retail.
    Only phone on the market which can sell for more than you ought it for.
    Just 10% of India's population switching to BB's in the next 5 yrs will equal 120 million.That's nearly half of USA's entire population. Numbers anyone?
    You can gauge how RIM takes India as a market. The 9900 was available in India the day after Kevin posted his unboxing video on the CB blog.
    Sales outside US will account for RIM's major revenue very soon so it "failing" in US will not kill it. Having said that, I don't think RIM is dead in the US just yet. Plenty or BB lovers in US as the CB forums will attest.
    08-19-11 03:32 PM

CS
    +1 very nicely put!
    08-20-11 06:46 AM
    I think part of this whole US market failing is pretty simple. It used to be cool to own a BB. It is now cool to own an iPhone/Android. You can't fight trends. You can only join them or create them. Right now BB is trying too hard to JOIN. They need to CREATE. I think what they are trying to do with BBM (social platform/wikitude) is a great idea. But they are going to need more, and soon. iOS5 and the cloud sharing of music and photos? Damn thats a sick idea (I wish BB would have thought of that)

I will be getting a 9860 when it's released, and then the first QNX phone also. But even me, as a diehard BB fan is somewhat yearning for something new.
    08-20-11 07:12 AM
    I think part of this whole US market failing is pretty simple. It used to be cool to own a BB. It is now cool to own an iPhone/Android. You can't fight trends. You can only join them or create them. Right now BB is trying too hard to JOIN. They need to CREATE. I think what they are trying to do with BBM (social platform/wikitude) is a great idea. But they are going to need more, and soon. iOS5 and the cloud sharing of music and photos? Damn thats a sick idea (I wish BB would have thought of that)

I will be getting a 9860 when it's released, and then the first QNX phone also. But even me, as a diehard BB fan is somewhat yearning for something new.
    Sad but true most people follow what is considered cool etc. by whom? The media cause it gets pounded into your brain. Maybe that's why I tend to like most things that aren't considered cool cause I don't need to be.

On a side note, I'm so tired of reading apple is king and is killing everything else off. I don't think so but yeah go with that if you want no choice and want to do everything the crap apple way. I like freedom and choice not being told what I will do and want.
    08-20-11 08:45 AM
    I get real tired seeing this mantra of, if RIM is not successful in the US market it is obviously going under :-/
    Nokia and Symbian might have a different perspective on that.

There is a difference between not going under and being able to be the company they desire to be.

Clearly RIM has not and will not be ignoring the US as part of any long term strategy, I am just pointing out that they need the US as much as any other part of the world to be successful.
    08-20-11 10:28 AM
    Yes "cool" seems to be a big factor in the US market, but what is "cool" varies alot, a lot of people though all these android phones were very cool until they discovered that being tethered to a power outlet was not so cool :-/

For for many places in the world having rock solid call quality, BBM and security is the cool thing, which is why BB rule in places like the Carribean, India and the middle east. Not to mention the young teen girl demographic in the UK that love BBM. These are not going to change just because apple makes a better iphone for the US market :-/

CS
    jkeithbrown likes this.
    08-20-11 10:34 AM

There is a difference between not going under and being able to be the company they desire to be.

Clearly RIM has not and will not be ignoring the US as part of any long term strategy, I am just pointing out that they need the US as much as any other part of the world to be successful.
    Well I'm going to agree to disagree, I think they want to maintain their presence in the US market, but "need" is another animal. And you can't compare RIM and Nokia, Nokia lost market share across the entire planet, RIM is increasing it's international sales market, only in the US has it lost market to Apple and Google, and even then it is still a major player, and it's new phones will help stabilize it's position in the US.

RIM could very well replace the US with a strong push is South Korea or China. Of course no phone maker wants to give up a market even if it is not the leader in it. But I'm just saying this to point out that the US market is not the world anymore, if it ever was.

CS
    08-20-11 10:40 AM

Nokia never had a presence in the US because they failed to work with carriers and adopt the CDMA technology.
    Ferretling likes this.
    08-20-11 11:24 AM
    Agreed. The only difference now is that it is a year or two later and RIM still hasn't responded with anything worth my money. On top of that, very loyal users (like myself, have been using BB for many years) are finally giving up hope and taking their business elsewhere.

So your "2010" story might be 2010, but in 2012 if RIM keeps up their current lame approach to releasing things, then you might see those 2010 stories come true (e.g. End of RIM).
    I guess you don't see the new handsets as worthwhile?
    08-20-11 11:26 AM
    Nokia never had a presence in the US because they failed to work with carriers and adopt the CDMA technology.
    Exactly. My point is that was a contributing factor in their rapid demise.

Well I'm going to agree to disagree, I think they want to maintain their presence in the US market, but "need" is another animal. And you can't compare RIM and Nokia, Nokia lost market share across the entire planet, RIM is increasing it's international sales market, only in the US has it lost market to Apple and Google, and even then it is still a major player, and it's new phones will help stabilize it's position in the US.

RIM could very well replace the US with a strong push is South Korea or China. Of course no phone maker wants to give up a market even if it is not the leader in it. But I'm just saying this to point out that the US market is not the world anymore, if it ever was.
    RIM's worldwide market share is declining, not increasing. They may be increasing there international market sales, but not at a rate comparable to competitors or what they are losing elsewhere. They dropped from 16% in 2010 to 13.4% in 2011. Gartner Says Android to Command Nearly Half of Worldwide Smartphone Operating System Market by Year-End 2012

My point really doesn't solely reflect the US either. I would say the same thing that RIM needs the EU, or India, or etc. To continue to be a world leader in the mobile OS/Device business, you need to play in all the major economies of the world.

For the record, I am not a RIM hater and hope to see them turn this around. In fact, I am picking up my 9930 tomorrow morning.
    08-20-11 01:00 PM
    I want to add a recent experience. Recently I went home to Miami and was in a very well known outlet Mall. I go back home to Miami twice a year and a few years ago walking through Sawgrass Mills Mall I saw one Kiosk that sold unlocked GSM phones. With the exception of maybe two phones all were Blackberry phones. Last month as I mentioned earlier in this post I went back for a week. This time same Mall and there were six kiosks that sold almost exclusively Blackberries. They also sold spare parts and did on-site repair. RIM has a huge presence in developing countries throughout the world. Especially the Caribbean and Latin America. Miami is the gateway to the Caribbean and Latin America. Many U.S. as well as foreign companies have their Caribbean and Latin American Headquarters in Miami. I can just say that was impressive growth and I visited another Mall Dolphin Mall and there too the same thing was observed.

Now if you went to Bal Harbour Shoppes or Lincoln Road or anywhere near South Beach you would see iPhones and an Apple presence. From what I understand from the tourists whom I spoke to they tell me one ofthe reasons Blackberries are popular is the BBM which eliminates the need for a text plan which many cannot afford. they also say finding an iPhone is difficult in many places in the developing world. So I do think that RIM if they keep hold of BBM will continue to see good success throughout the developing world.
    08-28-11 07:47 PM
    I think they'll still be able to compete with Apple and Android phones if they sell their phones at a cheaper price. Imo the torch 9810 will do very well for them since it's the same price as a 3gs and it's a better phone. I can't see the 9900 doing well for them though because no one is going to want to spend 350 on a phone (600 off contract). They're going to have to reduce the price to about 400 off contract and 150 with a contract to be able to compete.

08-29-11 03:54 AM
    i agree with CanuckSoldier, the US market while being big is not the only market and to be perfectly honest Blackberrys were never that big in the US anyway, it has always been one of there smaller markets. Its markets like the Middle east, China and India that keep Rim in business and considering the American economy i doubt they will be a big player in 10 years anyway and guess which countries are most likely to take over the dominance, China or India and since they both have huge populations and Rim already has a huge foot hold there i see a good future ahead of RIM as long as they hold on.

Just My Opinion So All You Americans Out There Dont Start ********
    08-29-11 05:49 AM
    Don't cite HP as an example of anything good without talking to their employees. HP is abandoning one area in which it is not competitive (WebOS devices), wants to sell off a division in which they are competitive but not leading, and wants to focus on a market dominated by IBM, Oracle, and SAP. They will get their hind ends handed to them in that market.

08-29-11 03:17 PM
    Exactly. My point is that was a contributing factor in their rapid demise.

RIM's worldwide market share is declining, not increasing. They may be increasing there international market sales, but not at a rate comparable to competitors or what they are losing elsewhere. They dropped from 16% in 2010 to 13.4% in 2011. Gartner Says Android to Command Nearly Half of Worldwide Smartphone Operating System Market by Year-End 2012

My point really doesn't solely reflect the US either. I would say the same thing that RIM needs the EU, or India, or etc. To continue to be a world leader in the mobile OS/Device business, you need to play in all the major economies of the world.

For the record, I am not a RIM hater and hope to see them turn this around. In fact, I am picking up my 9930 tomorrow morning.

Yes, it was a factor in their demise. But Nokia didn't want to work with ANY carriers. Maybe a phone or two here and there but at the end of the day, they wanted you to buy a phone directly from them. It just doesn't happen that way in America.

The difference with RIM? They work with all the carriers and have a deep relationship with them.

Nokia only put their phones in movies as a marketing tactic that failed because no one in America cared that so and so was saving the world with a Nokia because they probably only remember the original nokia phones.
    08-29-11 04:04 PM
    For for many places in the world having rock solid call quality, BBM and security is the cool thing, which is why BB rule in places like the Carribean, India and the middle east. Not to mention the young teen girl demographic in the UK that love BBM. These are not going to change just because apple makes a better iphone for the US market :-/

CS
    Actually, do you know why BB are hot in those markets? It's the price... The cheaper Blackberries: Curve, Pearl and Tour fulfill a need, since they provide the user with a semi-smartphone experience, while cheap enough so that they're not completely out of reach financially.

Don't kid yourself, people in those markets want iPhones and Android just as bad as any American, but can't afford them.

Which is why all analysts are down on RIM, the sales and growth in those markets won't last, as iPhones and high end android phones will come down in price, and replace BB as the most widely used platform, just like in the US.

08-29-11 04:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD