With the release of some pretty under-developed/buggy/unstable OS's lately ... it would only make sense for RIM to open up beta OS testing to some of us here.

Think about it - any time an OS leaks (like .140 for the Tour) or anytime an OS is caught out "in the wild" a thread is ALWAYS started here with the findings. I am sure RIM devs are seeing these threads. In essence, we are already beta testing their software...just unofficially.

I think it would be nice if they came up with some sort of beta OS testing program, where power users could sign up to test out the latest and greatest OS build...

Clearly however many people on their dev team testing the OS releases is just simply not enough. I mean - come on...simple little oversights with the Tour or Storm OS could have been completely avoided if they allowed the real power users a chance at the OS prior to release.

I realize that this would expose new features, etc - and that these folks are subject to NDA's...but you know what, we find out anyway! So really, its never that big of a secret...just my two cents. If I were in charge of a company like this, I would certainly offer some kind of sign up for those interested in beta-testing an OS prior to release - the everyday users are going to find 10 times more bugs and come up with 10x more suggestions than the devs testing this stuff...thats just how it is. Look at the forums and you cant help but agree...we nitpick EVERY LITTLE DETAIL with this stuff...

Just a suggestion - for you RIM devs reading this

Any typos/grammatical errors may or may not have been placed within the post intentionally for your own personal enjoyment/annoyance
    08-27-09 02:59 PM
    Because eventually people wouldn't do it for free as they do now.
    08-27-09 03:04 PM
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting that to happen.

Research in Motion does all their development in house. Nothing ever leaks from that level.

Leaks do occurs when beta code is released to the carrier, but we have no way of knowing which features are being tested and which have been disabled so they do not interfere in testing.

Power conservation is a prime example.

I have installed my fair share of beta code, but I nearly always rolled it back in short order.

Any typos/grammatical errors may or may not have been placed within the post intentionally for your own personal enjoyment/annoyance ...
    LOL
    08-27-09 03:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD