Google reveals upcoming Android features | Wireless - CNET News

I LOVE my BlackBerry, I really do, but I fear with each passing day RIM devices are falling further and further behind because of their dinosaur OS. Everyone knows how large and supportive the software community for iPhone is, and it will be the same for Android. The strength of a platform depends on it's community, and I fear the BB software community is shrinking.

In my ideal world, RIM would adopt Android but keep all the same functionality that we all know, expect and love from a BlackBerry device. This will prepare them for the future. Right now, they have a legacy platform that feels like a leaking dike patched with band-aids

Google has proven that with a top-tier engineering team they can launch scalable platforms. Just think about what they have done recently with their entire platform: Web services, GMail, Google Docs, Chrome, Android, etc. - it's incredible. I don't have any confidence in the RIM OS being able to thrive when competing with a built from scratch OS that is open to the community. RIM is going to go the way of Palm if it maintains the current strategy.

My friend, who recently bought the G1 - mainly to tinker with, had this to say today after I sent him the above link:

"Yeah I'm reporting bugs and requesting enhancements already - and they are responding to it. First time I've ever felt a mobile platform cared about me. It's an open bug database .. you comment, they comment, they fix."

It's this kind of support, and software development methodology that is going to draw developers, and as a consequence, consumers to the Android platform.

Right now, I give Android the best chance of being able to deliver functionality that closely matches the BB. The iPhone - bleh - it will always be prioritized for the llamas.

Why not adopt the same OS and take advantage of all that comes and is coming with the platform?

-c
    Last edited by conker; 12-19-08 at 06:20 PM.
    12-19-08 06:16 PM
    Android is quite nice. I looked at the G1, when it first came out. I followed the online articles regarding Android, before the G1 was finally released.

While the G1 was never a serious consideration (I didn't want Tmobile), I was definitely impressed. If I'd had the chance to purchase an Android phone, using ATT service, I might have never made it over here.

It's only going to get better.
    12-19-08 07:13 PM
    It seems as though Google can do no wrong. Everything they touch, turn to gold.

I think it will be a while before RIM turns into what Palm turned into though.

I also do believe that RIM needs to work on their OS, from the ground up. I know they already know that, but don't want to lose ground on the competition.

They IMO lead (smartphones) in the following:
    Push Email
    Security
    Stability
    Reception (rF)
    Instant messaging (not only for BBM, but all the IM apps works well on the BB)

12-19-08 08:08 PM
    Yet another reason why BB will be left behind....

Google Product Ideas

Google cares about customer feedback, makes it easy for customers to provide feedback (see my original post about how they handle bugs).
    01-05-09 07:24 PM
    i think i will bet on RIM over Google when it comes to smartphones
    in this age where everybody has the attention span of a 2 year old child when it comes to technology who is to say in 2010 that RIM doesnt have the next "it" open source OS?
    i will stick with RIM you can jump on every hot bandwagon that pops up and believe me i'm no RIM fanboy
    you can substitute pretty much everything you just wrote about the android OS with "the Iphone application store"
    the grass is always greener on the other side..especially when your neighbour is trying to sell you that grass
    Last edited by giantfan30; 01-05-09 at 07:36 PM.
    01-05-09 07:31 PM
    Unless the Android platform can win over those who need security measures in place for information assurance and compliance (i.e. security of data), I don't see RIM getting on the bandwagon.
    01-05-09 07:33 PM
    the normal end user could care less about android and how great it being open source is for developers
    what joe user wants is a smartphone that will do what he/she wants it to do out of the box
    right now for the most part RIM has that... a functional OS
    the fact that you're impressed with android and it being open source may not be of interest to the majority
    01-05-09 07:48 PM
    Giantfan, I believe you are wrong here. If rim wants to gain market share (which i strongly believe it does...its a profit driven company), they must make blackberry a more "fun" device. This is in part due to the software developed which to be honest, the bb software available is sub-par at best for anything entertainment related.
    01-05-09 07:55 PM
    Giantfan, I believe you are wrong here. If rim wants to gain market share (which i strongly believe it does...its a profit driven company), they must make blackberry a more "fun" device. This is in part due to the software developed which to be honest, the bb software available is sub-par at best for anything entertainment related.
    gaining market share is one thing....RIM jumping on the android bandwagon is pretty far fetched like the OP suggested they do
    i can pretty much gaurantee that RIM is doing R&D to improve functionality in their current OS all the way up to new directions when it comes to their OS
    why does every person that comes to crackberry with the woe is me scenario OMG why cant RIM be like this or that company assume that RIM is sitting on their hands counting cash??
    01-05-09 08:11 PM
    I don't think RIM should necessarily license android, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't learn from the success of android.

Google is making it open source and nice for developers so developers code apps that generate more interest in google's phones

If RIM licensed Android then they would give up their ability to truly innovate their own OS and bring their own differentiating features to the market.

RIM should learn from them with respect to investing in making it easy for developers to create apps for the platform and to actively seek customer feedback.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 08:22 PM
    Google. Wasn't that the bunch of bozos which meekly surrendered everyone's search activity to feds on a fishing expedition? So much for privacy and security.

How many would trust Google to handle confidential data?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 09:53 PM
    With all the news today - I thought bumping this 3 year old thread would be appropriate. The phrase of the day.... "Too little, too late."
    01-23-12 02:11 PM
    Why would they go with droid? Why would I buy a blackberry if it had droid on it? I would just buy a samsung.
    01-23-12 02:25 PM
    With all the news today - I thought bumping this 3 year old thread would be appropriate. The phrase of the day.... "Too little, too late."
    I'm sorry, was it "Too little, too late" for some other company to come along with Palm controlled the handheld device world? Android is currently over taking iPhone sales, so it wasn't "Too little, too late" for everyone else after the iPhone arrived.

The only difference between iPhone, Android, Microsoft Mobile, and BB 10 will be whomever has the best marketing ploy. Android is working their best to make iPhone owners look "uncool". Catch the "cool" vibe and any late player can take over the top spot.
    01-23-12 02:33 PM
    That's not the point. The point is they needed to act at the time iOS / Android came out. It was obvious then the current BB OS was not going to scale, and that consumers expectations for smartphone functionality was going through a drastic transformation. Now they are pivoting? In ~18 months (quoting RIM's PlayBook time) they are going to have something that competes with an OS that top tier software engineers working at Apple and Google have been evolving for 3+ years? I hope so, but I don't think so...

To be clear, I have a 9930, and it does things I cannot do on the other phones. I want RIM to succeed - it's just sad....
    Last edited by conker; 01-23-12 at 02:38 PM.
    01-23-12 02:35 PM
    Why should RIM license Android? Android is available. If we wanted Android, we could have all gotten Android phones. We obviously wanted something different.

Let BB10 at least come to market before you count it out...
    01-23-12 02:44 PM
    That's not the point. The point is they needed to act at the time iOS / Android came out. .
    I'm sorry that you don't see that as the point, but it is the point. Just because they were slow to change in the past, doesn't mean they can't turn things around with the new CEO and be competitive now.

For those with short memories, car to look at where Apple was before the iPod? They were not the first ones on the market with the music player. Also, Microsoft was cleaning their clocks on the desktop PC front. If Microsoft didn't give them a much needed cash infusion and if they hadn't hired back Jobs, Apple would be sharing the history of Tandy, Commadore and other tech companies no longer making the grade. Technology is fickle. Being at the top today, doesn't mean you will be at the top tomorrow.
    01-23-12 02:48 PM
    The world is truly a better place because of optimists.
    01-23-12 02:53 PM
    I'm sorry that you don't see that as the point, but it is the point. Just because they were slow to change in the past, doesn't mean they can't turn things around with the new CEO and be competitive now.

For those with short memories, car to look at where Apple was before the iPod? They were not the first ones on the market with the music player. Also, Microsoft was cleaning their clocks on the desktop PC front. If Microsoft didn't give them a much needed cash infusion and if they hadn't hired back Jobs, Apple would be sharing the history of Tandy, Commadore and other tech companies no longer making the grade. Technology is fickle. Being at the top today, doesn't mean you will be at the top tomorrow.
    Exactly right... Who knows where Apple and iPhone will be in a few years.... I can tell you this with almost 100% accuracy, they wont be #1... Why? Because the cycle doesn't work like that... It never has and probably will never change... Palm, Motorola, RIM, etc....
    01-23-12 03:46 PM
    This 3 year old thread only tells me that there will always be people waiting for rim to fail. Maybe they will and maybe they won't but some take some glee in hoping that they will.
    With a few tweaks to the title and a sentence or two in the thread and it could have been written yesterday.
    01-23-12 04:16 PM
    someones having a bad fur day....

anyways, its always funny to hear someone use the term care in relation to that of a corporation, have fun feeling all "warm" inside i guess?

Too little to late eh?

will see
    01-23-12 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD