How many people outside of the Blackberry user base know anything about Blackberry 10? I know a fair number of people who use iPhone and Android devices, and they certainly aren't aware (and don't care) that Blackberry 10 is on it's way.

When Blackberry 10 releases, I seriously doubt it is going to sway non Blackberry users into the mix without some kind of major (brilliant) marketing push or transformation of the company.

I'm not sure I agree with the suggestion to re brand the products, but I think RIM needs to do something more then simply release a great phone and sit back and wait for the sales to come. With so many great options already available and the BlackBerry's name in the mud big time, they need to do something drastic in my opinion.
    04-10-12 03:29 PM
    So in order to change the perceived stigma, perhaps they should re-marketing BB's by simply placing the letter 'i' in front of the name BlackBerry.
    The criticism about RIM & BB that seems to always come from owners of 'other' smart phones is due to their fear of the unknown and being brainwashed by Apple.
    04-10-12 04:34 PM
    You might hate the idea - you are a BlackBerry loyalist. I would hate to see the demise of the brand too. But I'm thinking of a fresh start for RIM. There are a lot of people who see BlackBerry as a laughable brand.
    What are they going to run on it? QNX? People know BlackBerry is RIM so how would this be possible? If they make an off brand they would be starting from scratch. This is a terrible idea.

James
    04-10-12 04:37 PM
    So in order to change the perceived stigma, perhaps they should re-marketing BB's by simply placing the letter 'i' in front of the name BlackBerry.
    The criticism about RIM & BB that seems to always come from owners of 'other' smart phones is due to their fear of the unknown and being brainwashed by Apple.
    I agree with the brainwashing by Apple, but most consumers aren't interested in the BlackBerry anymore because it is a inferior product when it comes to what the majority of people are looking for. They just don't do the things that the majority of people want them to. BlackBerry is a great platform for messages, email, security and business, but it doesn't come close to the media, photo, video, and app experience Android and Apple offer.

There is no Instagram, no Skype, no Netflix etc, etc, and so on and so on. BlackBerry isn't the [i]"in"[/] thing anymore, and I haven't seen any evidence really that BlackBerry 10 will be changing that perception. Sure a lot of BlackBerry users are interested in BB10, but that excitement needs to extend beyond the already existing BB user base.
    04-10-12 04:44 PM
    What are they going to run on it? QNX? People know BlackBerry is RIM so how would this be possible? If they make an off brand they would be starting from scratch. This is a terrible idea.

James
    The BlackBerry 10 phones are running on QNX, yes.
    04-10-12 04:45 PM
    Nah. In my opinion RIM is the one that should switch it's name. Why not just call the company BlackBerry? The only thing they manufacture is BLACKBERRY smartphones, BLACKBERRY PlayBooks, BLACKBERRY Enterprise Server, etc. It would give them a fresh start but still keep them at their basics.
    04-10-12 04:51 PM
    Re-branding the BB products would be the worst thing RIM could do. Everyone loves a good comeback story, and success with BB10 in a cutthroat smartphone and tablet market would be the best revenge for RIM.

Anyone seen Cinderella Man? True story. This situation reminds me a bit of that scenario, somewhat.

Time, money, resources, and vision should all be directed to the success of BB10, with increased USEFUL apps and top-notch hardware.

To re-brand the BB products for the future would leave BB in the dust as a perceived "failure" and not as a resilient and innovative brand.

I like the BB brand the way it is...simple, with a solid product, and peace-of-mind security features.

604778 likes this.
    04-10-12 06:13 PM
    The BlackBerry 10 phones are running on QNX, yes.
    I know that. Thats what I'm saying. Here is a bring new phone. RIM owns the company, it runs BlackBerry 10, the phone is called XYZ. It's not a BlackBerry. No really its not.

What kind of ad campaign would they run? The press would have a field day with this. Leave the BlackBerry name on it, make a great phone(s), make BB10 sexy and stable and advertise the he'll out of it.

James
    04-10-12 08:17 PM
    Nah. In my opinion RIM is the one that should switch it's name. Why not just call the company BlackBerry? The only thing they manufacture is BLACKBERRY smartphones, BLACKBERRY PlayBooks, BLACKBERRY Enterprise Server, etc. It would give them a fresh start but still keep them at their basics.
    Don't they own a lot of small companies under RIM?

Leave the names where they are, work on the new OS and phones.

Kames
    04-10-12 08:20 PM
    After the bajillions invested in the "Blackberry" brand, this would be the wrong this to do.... RIM doesn't have unlimited money cheats like Microsoft. Rebuilding the brand is the only option.
    04-10-12 08:56 PM
    They need a revamp not a new name
    04-10-12 11:58 PM
    Ya, drop it. Change the name to MegaMail and increase the attachment size to 1GB.. seems legit.
    04-11-12 04:28 AM
    They should keep the Blackberry brand, but add another word to distinguish the BB10 devices from the old devices, and then add the name to distinguish one BB10 device from the other (but not use any of the old model names like Bold, Torch, etc).

ie. Blackberry XXXXXX London, Blackberry XXXXXX Milan, etc.

Just need to figure out what XXXXXX will represent and stick with it at least until the old BB7 and earlier devices are gone.
    04-11-12 04:44 AM
    No I don't think that the changing of names for new devices is a step in the right direction. This would be stupid.
    04-11-12 04:54 AM
    The only company requiring a new brand name to succeed in mobile is Microsoft. If Windows Phone 7 was called Nokia Phone OS, it would be selling like hotcakes right now.

Ditching the BlackBerry brand is short-sighted. RIM is nothing without the BlackBerry brand. They should however ditch the clumsy BB10 name. BBX was great. They lost the trademark battle. So come up with something new, instead of a clumsy bypass
    04-11-12 06:46 AM
    At least for their non-keyboard BB10 phones.

It would be a great way of starting out fresh and avoiding the stigma that has become associated with BB in certain segments.

If they could come up with a zippy brand name and tone down the RIM/BlackBerry branding, I think they could generate some fresh interest.

Any thoughts?
    I have actually suggested this for a couple of months (I believe the first time was in November). The term BlackBerry has a MASSIVE negative connotation to most, and while it has served them (by and large) well for the last decade, they have to overcome that before making any positive steps.

It would clearly be breaking with tradition, but nothing is to say they cannot end a run and start something new. BlackBerry is no longer the iconic symbol it used to be, and it might be time to introduce something new. RIM could always do business as BlackBerry, but call the devices something else entirely.
    04-11-12 06:51 AM
    I have actually suggested this for a couple of months (I believe the first time was in November). The term BlackBerry has a MASSIVE negative connotation to most, and while it has served them (by and large) well for the last decade, they have to overcome that before making any positive steps.

It would clearly be breaking with tradition, but nothing is to say they cannot end a run and start something new. BlackBerry is no longer the iconic symbol it used to be, and it might be time to introduce something new. RIM could always do business as BlackBerry, but call the devices something else entirely.
    I disagree, Blackberry as a brand is stronger then ever, absolutely everybody knows what a Blackberry is.

As they say, there's no such think as bad publicity, people forget the details but the brand is stuck in their minds forever.
    04-11-12 07:07 AM
    If u were referring to the BB's reputation in North America, then, u might have a point there. But, elsewhere, I think, BB is a solid brand. So, to change it would be a mistake - IMHO.
    04-11-12 07:14 AM
    I have actually suggested this for a couple of months (I believe the first time was in November). The term BlackBerry has a MASSIVE negative connotation to most in the US consumer market, and while it has served them (by and large) well for the last decade, they have to overcome that before making any positive steps.

^^ Fixed

BlackBerry still has a strong brand in the rest of the world, even countries like Australia with their super drop in BlackBerry Market share BlackBerry doesn't have a bad name, it just isn't what is hot, it doesn't get bad mouthed like it does in the US.

Fortunately the Consumer market is fickle, revitalizing the Brand is easier, and better than creating a new brand, because RIM can create a new Brand, but the negative BlackBerry media will just go on to say, a rose by any other name is still a rose. and keep bashing the device. it will not be a brand being built from a neutral point, but a new brand with now market name, starting off with a negative market name due to it's relationship.

Repair the BlackBerry name in the US consumer market.
    04-11-12 07:43 AM
    ^^ Fixed

BlackBerry still has a strong brand in the rest of the world, even countries like Australia with their super drop in BlackBerry Market share BlackBerry doesn't have a bad name, it just isn't what is hot, it doesn't get bad mouthed like it does in the US.

Fortunately the Consumer market is fickle, revitalizing the Brand is easier, and better than creating a new brand, because RIM can create a new Brand, but the negative BlackBerry media will just go on to say, a rose by any other name is still a rose. and keep bashing the device. it will not be a brand being built from a neutral point, but a new brand with now market name, starting off with a negative market name due to it's relationship.

Repair the BlackBerry name in the US consumer market.
    I dont believe RIM will give up the name, just was suggesting they do something drastic to show the differentiation between the old devices and the new. The US market is anti-BlackBerry for the most part, and other parts of the world will follow if marketing doesnt stop it. It will be interesting to see how things play out.
    04-11-12 07:47 AM
    I disagree, Blackberry as a brand is stronger then ever, absolutely everybody knows what a Blackberry is.

As they say, there's no such think as bad publicity, people forget the details but the brand is stuck in their minds forever.
    Everyone knows what a BlackBerry is, and in NA, most everyone wonders WHY anyone would use a BlackBerry. The brand is well known, but again, in NA it is known in a hugely negative fashion. Apple does very well pretty much everyone, though Android tops them in sheer volume (of sales, activations, and device selection). Android is crushing in China, and it will do the same in other parts of Asia as well.

RIM has to hold the course until BB10 comes out, At that point we will see what weight the brand carries.
    anon(4018671) likes this.
    04-11-12 07:53 AM
    Its like if microsoft has a bad release of "windows" they will drop it and call the new one "doors". Of course not. Consumers will be asking for better and improve version of "windows" not "doors"
    04-11-12 10:14 AM
    The biggest problem is in North America where the brand has lost considerable respect.

BlackBerry should only be used to support the sale of QNX phones much like Intel Inside campaign. Selling a consumer phone first (QNX) with the added benefits of a strong BB heritage in mobile security and reliability is the path they should take.

Yes everybody knows about BlackBerry, but because the phones suffered for so long with slow internet abilities and battery pulls, and few apps its a running joke.

I love my Bold 9900 but apparently millions of other people want something different/more. A new brand would be a new start with a new platform, QNX is certainly different than java BBOS and warrants a new brand onto itself. BBX was cool and they probably could have used that, BB10 is just boring.
    04-11-12 10:33 AM
    I disagree; here in the UK and rest of Europe BlackBerry is still doing very well indeed. I'd also be very careful believing what you hear and the stats that are put out in the press as we all know the saying about Statistics.

I dont think the brand of BlackBerry is 'that' badly damaged if 'damaged' at all. Yes, they need to be better at Marketing (their Marketing Dept need shooting some times!!) BUT the brand, on the whole, is realy good.

One thing to consider - some years ago, Apple was dead on its feet with a poor market share and a declining product set. They the invented the iPod and iPhone and, several years later, they are one of (if not 'the') richest companies in the world. At NO point did the EVER consdier dropping the name...

RiM just need to get better at marketing; after all most of their success is driven through sheer hype...

Osh
    04-11-12 11:03 AM
    I disagree; here in the UK and rest of Europe BlackBerry is still doing very well indeed. I'd also be very careful believing what you hear and the stats that are put out in the press as we all know the saying about Statistics.

I dont think the brand of BlackBerry is 'that' badly damaged if 'damaged' at all. Yes, they need to be better at Marketing (their Marketing Dept need shooting some times!!) BUT the brand, on the whole, is realy good.

One thing to consider - some years ago, Apple was dead on its feet with a poor market share and a declining product set. They the invented the iPod and iPhone and, several years later, they are one of (if not 'the') richest companies in the world. At NO point did the EVER consdier dropping the name...

RiM just need to get better at marketing; after all most of their success is driven through sheer hype...

Osh
    The Blackberry brand IS that badly damaged, in the US. This is the difference between Apple's situation and RIM. Apple was overlooked by most and not known by most until they made a resurgence. Blackberry was used and adopted by many, and they have moved on. Consumers believe they know what Blackberry is. It is a slow phone with no apps, a small screen, and a keyboard. They don't want it. Blackberry is so iconic and popular, people don't even consider it a smartphone. It's like this different type of device that preceeded smartphones. People look at blackberry like they look at VHS.

That being said, rebranding is probably not the right solution. If brand X releases the best product anyone has ever seen, it's still going to be hard to gain any traction. At least Blackberry's offerings are well scrutinized in the media.

New brand or not, RIM needs what every mobile company has been searching for for years, just to stay in business: An iPhone killer. If Windows 7, the best OS on the market, can't make traction, it looks bleak for them.

There is a reason it has been Mac vs PC for all these years. Developers arent going to support a dozen operating systems. Blackberry is set to go the way of Amiga, Atari, Commodore, and every other computer brand that died after the personal computer market matured.

Good luck, RIM...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Crackberry Forums App.
    04-11-12 11:27 AM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD