Better to work with a brand that already has global recognition, even if it needs a little lift, than to try to start over from scratch with something totally new and unknown. In addition to the huge obstacle of establishing a new brand, if it even does catch on it will completely destroy what is left of the BB brand. Just a bad idea all around. RIM has enough of an uphill struggle as it is without adding the development of a new brand to the laundry list of things they need to do flawlessly in the next six months.
    Precisely. Doing this would basically end the Blackberry line. There goes all the equity that has been built into the brand over the last ten years. Believe me there is still equity in it.

Sorry but this whole idea sounds like a plan a GM employee or a Chrysler employee would come up with.
    04-10-12 09:30 AM
    Which means they don't get BBM? don't get compression? all they get is regular push services?
    What does Orange have to offer that Android, and iOS can't already offer?
    They could, theoretically, have a series of handsets that run Android, and not call those Blackberry (maybe just call them RIM or something). These handsets would need to have some "Blackberry" flavor to them for differentiation sake, i.e. run BBM, offer a superior email experience, etc, but to your point it might just be Exchange. That might allow RIM to take care of the app issue, and might help grow the user base who are still interested in BBs, but want all the goodies and apps available on Android. I would envision these handsets aimed at the medium to low-cost buyers, while the BB handsets would retain premium status.

Of course this is all theoretical, if we're going to throw wild ideas out there, this little nugget here isn't all that far-fetched, but I will likely be called a heretic.
    04-10-12 09:32 AM
    They could, theoretically, have a series of handsets that run Android, and not call those Blackberry (maybe just call them RIM or something). These handsets would need to have some "Blackberry" flavor to them for differentiation sake, i.e. run BBM, offer a superior email experience, etc, but to your point it might just be Exchange. That might allow RIM to take care of the app issue, and might help grow the user base who are still interested in BBs, but want all the goodies and apps available on Android. I would envision these handsets aimed at the medium to low-cost buyers, while the BB handsets would retain premium status.

Of course this is all theoretical, if we're going to throw wild ideas out there, this little nugget here isn't all that far-fetched, but I will likely be called a heretic.
    With advancements in Sideloading you will be able to get the Apps on the BB10 phones so I really don't see the point in creating a line that uses Android over the inhouse brand they are spending money to develop.

It could work, but it could also divert funds from programs that need it including hardware and software development, add proliferation of models which they need to reduce already. Then there is the fact that most Android phones are more capable than these base phones would be and they would be competing with Blackberry's entry level line and all those cheap Androids out there.
    04-10-12 09:41 AM
    In the UK Blackberry isn't a laughable brand.

If anything I find the more popular products 'laughable' as I perceive the people who buy them to lack individual thought - followers oppose to leaders with the label of being Sheeple
    04-10-12 09:53 AM
    With advancements in Sideloading you will be able to get the Apps on the BB10 phones so I really don't see the point in creating a line that uses Android over the inhouse brand they are spending money to develop.
    Will sideloading be "banned" only for the PB, or for all BB products as well?
    04-10-12 09:59 AM
    This is a joke right?..

At least for their non-keyboard BB10 phones.

It would be a great way of starting out fresh and avoiding the stigma that has become associated with BB in certain segments.

If they could come up with a zippy brand name and tone down the RIM/BlackBerry branding, I think they could generate some fresh interest.

Any thoughts?
    04-10-12 10:01 AM
    just call it something like the new "BB torch" or w.e. the name is. it keeps close to traditional shortening of the brand name but also is a more consumer type presentation. similar to bbm and all the other acronyms they use.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-10-12 10:06 AM
    Will sideloading be "banned" only for the PB, or for all BB products as well?
    Its not being banned at all actually. They just did a clarification on the home page. Sideloading is continuing, but its going to be less "open" I guess is the word?
    04-10-12 10:20 AM
    I wouldn't want to see the brand go. I like the BlackBerry brand. It's what RIM made their company out of. Plus, the BlackBerry brand has great recognition and a good reputation in many (if not, most) parts of the world.

Somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know why the name "BlackBerry" was chosen?
    04-10-12 10:43 AM
    It will take an extremely long time to build the brand name back, think about hyundai. they have changed their brand image but it took years. Samsung the same thing, innovation is critical.

RIM should establish a buyback promised price now for purchasing a BB7 phone that could be returned in at the launch of BB10. and not some crap 50 bucks for a 99XX bought 6 months prior.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-10-12 10:55 AM
    RIM BlackBerry History: Origin of the Name "BlackBerry" | CIO Blogs
    04-10-12 11:02 AM
    post deleted - pk
    He's hardly ...
    Consider Honda, they have Lexus and other divisions.
    Goto Honda.com: Official Site of American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

RIM as the parent company can still release other brands based on market segment with each utilizing RIM technology. Similar to a honda motor being the underpinning technology each division uses. So it would be stupid to ditch BB but might not be dumb to add to the products/brands RIM sells.

But really isn't that the best thing about the smart phone: that one device can do so many different things? Shouldn't we just need ONE ?
    04-10-12 11:02 AM
    He's hardly ...

RIM as the parent company can still release other brands based on market segment with each utilizing RIM technology. Similar to a honda motor being the underpinning technology each division uses. So it would be stupid to ditch BB but might not be dumb to add to the products/brands RIM sells.

But really isn't that the best thing about the smart phone: that one device can do so many different things? Shouldn't we just need ONE ?
    Too many different brands, along with too little to differentiate between them, is one of the issues that the US car companies had. That is one reason why GM dropped Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Saturn; Ford dropped Mercury; and Chrysler dropped Plymouth.

BlackBerry is not a failed brand. It just needs rejuvenation.
    04-10-12 11:08 AM
    He's hardly ...
    Actually Honda has Acura; Lexus is a Toyota brand. However, I'm not sure the analogy fits, as Acura, Lexus and Infiniti are about having a separate, upscale brand for Honda, Toyota and Nissan's upscale vehicles. What the OP suggests would be more like Honda naming its sedans Honda and its SUVs Acura, which is not what's happening.
    04-10-12 11:18 AM
    I agree we just need ONE.
    Look at Samsung, they have Samsung on everything they make, even airconditioners.

Noticing the opensuse in your avatar, so many Linux distros to choose from but only a couple make money granted its not everyones intent.

Just wanted to point out the guy isn't off his rocker and gave an example why. If RIM added a new brand it still has to pass the snif test in the media. Just calling BB by a different name wont change anything.

Pft name calling = lame
    04-10-12 11:19 AM
    Actually Honda has Acura; Lexus is a Toyota brand. However, I'm not sure the analogy fits, as Acura, Lexus and Infiniti are about having a separate, upscale brand for Honda, Toyota and Nissan's upscale vehicles. What the OP suggests would be more like Honda naming its sedans Honda and its SUVs Acura, which is not what's happening.

BlackBerry already differentiates with the Bold and Curve line ups. But they are based on BBOS and not QNX where there could be some merit in a different brand since its a totally different platform.

In my example I used Honda because they sell more then just "cars" and the technology (motors) are the platform similar to how RIM could promote BB technology ie: a QNX phone powered by BB.

It isn't stupid or ******** to go this route. People recognize BB as secure but they don't go to the store to buy security, they go for just about everything else.

EDIT:Okay I just changed my opinion in no time at all.... lol
    Last edited by dentynefire; 04-10-12 at 11:37 AM.
    04-10-12 11:34 AM
    The brand was chosen after a branding company in California did some brainstorming and decided the device reminded them of a blackberry with all the keys.
    04-10-12 12:57 PM
    post deleted -pk
    That's an extremely useless comment. I'm merely putting forward a point for discussion. Playing devils advocate.

I actually liked someone's suggestion earlier that the BB10 phones can be marketed with the tag: "Yes this is a BlackBerry".

I'm very pleased to see how unpopular dropping the BlackBerry brand is amongst CBers.
    04-10-12 01:00 PM
    They should rename it blueberry.

Sent via tapatalk using the Samsung Galaxy Note
    04-10-12 01:22 PM
    Too many different brands, along with too little to differentiate between them, is one of the issues that the US car companies had. That is one reason why GM dropped Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Saturn; Ford dropped Mercury; and Chrysler dropped Plymouth.

BlackBerry is not a failed brand. It just needs rejuvenation.
    Blackberry isn't a failed brand, but it does have the stigma of a "work phone" I don't know if it is such a bad idea if RIM kept the Blackberry side focused on enterprise/gov and launched a new Blueberry(or something) line for consumers. They could do different colours with this line, put in the best cameras, huge touchscreens and other bells and whistles that kill batteries but the majority of consumers want. Then they can leave the Blackberry line for those that need to do to a million things and have their phones last for days.

RIM needs to do something unexpected to get some interest drawn back in. A move like this would certainly get people talking.
    04-10-12 01:29 PM
    Blackberry isn't a failed brand, but it does have the stigma of a "work phone" I don't know if it is such a bad idea if RIM kept the Blackberry side focused on enterprise/gov and launched a new Blueberry(or something) line for consumers. They could do different colours with this line, put in the best cameras, huge touchscreens and other bells and whistles that kill batteries but the majority of consumers want. Then they can leave the Blackberry line for those that need to do to a million things and have their phones last for days.

RIM needs to do something unexpected to get some interest drawn back in. A move like this would certainly get people talking.
    That would just get more people walking away, not talking. People do not like to carry two devices. BB10 combined with Mobile Fusion/BlackBerry Balance sounds like a better option that would satisfy business users.

RIM understands BYOD now. One of the key points Heins made was that BB10 devices need to be something consumers want to use.
    04-10-12 01:48 PM
    The brand was chosen after a branding company in California did some brainstorming and decided the device reminded them of a blackberry with all the keys.
    I read that it reminded them of a strawberry but they couldn't sell the name and settled on blackberry.

Edit:
    "RIM settled on the name "BlackBerry" only after weeks of work by Lexicon Branding Inc., the Sausalito, California-based firm that named Intel Corp.’s Pentium microprocessor and Apple’s PowerBook. One of the naming experts at Lexicon thought the miniature buttons on RIM’s product looked "like the tiny seeds in a strawberry," Lexicon founder David Placek says. "A linguist at the firm thought straw was too slow sounding. Someone else suggested blackberry. RIM went for it." (From a Bloomberg article by Anthony Effinger)."
    Last edited by xandermac; 04-10-12 at 02:28 PM.
    04-10-12 02:22 PM
    In before the lock that should have occurred by post 3.
    Please enlighten us...why should this thread get locked? Just because you don't agree with the OP's premise? The OP hasn't started a "BlackBerry sux" troll thread and bailed on it. He/she is participating in the (generally) civil discussion. If you don't have anything to add, please refrain from posting. If you feel that strongly report the thread to the mods.

As to the original post, OP I don't think it would be a very good idea--highly risky at best. As deRusett mentioned, security and reliability have become BlackBerry's hallmarks, so it would not be a wise idea to rebrand and moving away from these two cornerstones. Yes...if the new marketing was somewhat along the lines of showing BB10's coolness and adding in "oh...and it's a BlackBerry" (implying you'll get the same security and reliability with the badass new line-up), that might work well.
    04-10-12 02:55 PM
    Please enlighten us...why should this thread get locked? Just because you don't agree with the OP's premise? The OP hasn't started a "BlackBerry sux" troll thread and bailed on it. He/she is participating in the (generally) civil discussion. If you don't have anything to add, please refrain from posting. If you feel that strongly report the thread to the mods.

As to the original post, OP I don't think it would be a very good idea--highly risky at best. As deRusett mentioned, security and reliability have become BlackBerry's hallmarks, so it would not be a wise idea to rebrand and moving away from these two cornerstones. Yes...if the new marketing was somewhat along the lines of showing BB10's coolness and adding in "oh...and it's a BlackBerry" (implying you'll get the same security and reliability with the badass new line-up), that might work well.
    Yes, I agree. The BlackBerry brand has a lot of positive sentiments and good reputation attached to it. It's a very respectable brand. I don't think there's as much negativity surrounding the brand as we think and any "damage" that's been done to it isn't irreversible. I, personally, love the "BlackBerry" name and everything it stands for, so I wouldn't want to see a change.
    04-10-12 03:14 PM

Adding BBM to a NON BBOS device opens a can of worms, 1 BBM runs through a NOC, so do the make the Carriers add mobile fusion to the BIS? is that possible? will the Carriers want that? RIM can't give BBM away for free or they lose BILLIONS of dollars in revenue, as Carriers start to push back against BIS fees for the bulk of their client base who only use it for BBM.

RIM already gets negative press due to releasing Mobile fusion, it is seen as a "white flag" of sorts that they are conceding they can't control the Enterprise market, admittingly those that think of it like that are a few cards shy of a full deck, but it is still an image RIM must fight with, releasing a phone with Android would make BB10 a laughing stock
    04-10-12 03:22 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD