I am a RIM devotee (have had every device from the original pager to 9900 and PB). I have resisted anything Apple and been a tireless Blackberry evangelist (helped someone in the grocery store yesterday for god sake).

I've been reading the Jobs Bio because of general tech interest (I'm in software business) and realized how the notion of iCloud is on the money but closed. I wondered to myself if with a PC I could go and sign up for iCloud and get some benefit.....nope, requires IOS5 as a starter. Shame because it would be a crack in my Apple armor if it did work.

I have struggled for years with the compute power I now carry with me but the fact that my compute and media life spans multiple devices. I played with things like evernote but nothing has worked well for me beyond my own coping mechanisms of emailing myself things like pictures etc, memo pad, to-do's etc and simply moving data over Bluetooth or USB when needed. Painful and certainly nothing I could explain to someone so they could get some of the benefits. The average user just has no clue how do get some of these things done.

What RIM should do is create a killer free cloud service that is far more open than iCloud. It would work best or have more features with a Berry but would allow you to manage pictures, video, music, bookmarks etc on most common devices.
    01-01-12 04:13 PM
    This would be great for RIM. They can incorporate secure email and BBM into it. And they can sell enterprise management tools while allowing users to manage their "enterprise" and personal identities cleanly. This is an area that nobody is doing well yet, and that RIM is uniquely qualified to handle.
    spike12 and Dapper37 like this.
    01-01-12 04:18 PM
    I agree fully RIM needs to develop a cloud service in conjunction with BIS/ BES

having a corporate cloud service tied into BES with all the security and restrictions that BES can provide, ads value to BES keeping it in Enterprise

Give Consumers a Cloud Service tied to their BIS account, giving users control over their BIS email with webmail, give document storage, and allow it to have devices added for sharing, This gives carriers something more to offer with BlackBerry's and upgrades to the service can be carrier billed or direct billed, giving carriers more incentive to push RIM products.

RIM needs to take their BBM Music and have music management from the cloud, as well as other media management from the cloud, there is so much more that could be done than even iCloud is doing, and RIM has the Carrier relationships to make it something fantastic and integrated.
    spike12 and Dapper37 like this.
    01-01-12 04:25 PM
    What would be RIM's motivation for doing this? If it's free and open to any device, they lose money having to build and maintain the infrastructure for it. If you're looking into a cloud service to manage your pics and stuff, just use dropbox or something similar. It's free and cross platform.
    01-01-12 04:26 PM
    I think having a cloud service of some sort would be of benefit. At the very least, an ability to work with cloud ecosystems of Google and/or Amazon would be great on paper for non-enterprise customers.
    01-01-12 04:33 PM
    What would be RIM's motivation for doing this? If it's free and open to any device, they lose money having to build and maintain the infrastructure for it. If you're looking into a cloud service to manage your pics and stuff, just use dropbox or something similar. It's free and cross platform.
    On the Enterprise side of things it would add value for their existing management solutions and keep themselves as the leader in MDM, but they would expand into more than Just MDM, they would be Mobile device and Data access management providers,
    01-01-12 04:36 PM
    Figured What the heck, I'll type out what I would want to do if I was designing the cloud service for RIM

BES cloud Service would allow for Remote hosted Storage, or locally hosted storage. The BES would manage Access permissions: Devices access, User Access, user allotment, Notifications of allotments, logging of access,
    Admins would be able to say files XYZ are only accessible from Device X, whilst files ABC are accessible from any device, as well as giving time restrictions to access, and sending notifications to the owner of a file that it has been accessed, this is akin to the read receipt emails, but keeps the large files out of the email server and just links to the cloud, integrating this with email would allow for Mass emailing for a file to be auto uploaded to the cloud server with a link for access being emailed so there are large attachments requiring syncing/replicating for remote users.

For the Consumer side the Cloud Service would be tied to BIS,
    Users when setting up a BlackBerry would have access to a BIS app on their device that shows them all the set up things,
    BIS Hosted Cloud Storage, 1GB Free, Additional space purchasable through Carrier or direct billing with RIM inside Cloud App,
    Cloud Management with the ability to link cloud services together like BlackBerry does with emails, DropBox etc, managing those services from a single point, using them to back up eachother or for specific purposes.
    Windows/Mac/Linux Desktop Application to link to cloud services and manage them in a familiar interface as the Blackberry device app.
    The Desktop app would allow access to BIS Webmail, BIS Cloud Storage, Cloud Management, and device access management, login to management can be locked to access only via specific devices, or just using a userID Password, the Cloud Service would nee a Public Postable option for Documents such as pictures like Flickr,

RIM doesn't need to make it FREE for all, but Free for BlackBerry users for basic functions than the ability to purchase access to the service via an App in other platforms app worlds, they purchase the App for cloud service management, but BIS access would require registration with the carrier,
    01-01-12 05:01 PM
    Prime motivation is sticky users. You provide a bunch of utility for free, added features if you are a Berry or PB user and additional chargeable services on top. Dropbox is one of the hottest things around and the basics are free.

its about the change in comfort with cloud storage, more universally powerful compute even in mobile, plentiful bandwidth and new revenue streams with high switching pain.
    01-01-12 05:03 PM
    What everyone else has said, plus I think there is room for a paid tier. Give businesses and goverments a service they can trust, but that also allows staff to maintain their own sandboxes if they are going BYOD.
    01-01-12 06:25 PM
    FYI Dropbox is not secure. They have acknowledged that and don't so far seem inclined to improve that area.

Security is among the top on-going concerns about the cloud for businesses and it is extraordinary that RIM hasn't jumped in already. It would not be cheap but the potential is substantial with the ever-increasing interest in cloud computing and storage.
    01-01-12 06:39 PM
    FYI Dropbox is not secure. They have acknowledged that and don't so far seem inclined to improve that area.

Security is among the top on-going concerns about the cloud for businesses and it is extraordinary that RIM hasn't jumped in already. It would not be cheap but the potential is substantial with the ever-increasing interest in cloud computing and storage.
    I know it's not secure, but you get what you pay for. If you want something for free that is open to all platforms, here you go.

My theory is that anything you get for free is never worth less than what you paid for it.

The OP said that it should be a FREE, Cross-Platform service. This will be a waste of time and money. I would like to see a cloud service that is linked to my BBID so that I can quickly access large files on either my BB or my PB. That would be cool, but to ask that RIM should set up a secure, free, cross-platform service is just silly to me.
    01-01-12 10:25 PM
    I know it's not secure, but you get what you pay for. If you want something for free that is open to all platforms, here you go.

My theory is that anything you get for free is never worth less than what you paid for it.

The OP said that it should be a FREE, Cross-Platform service. This will be a waste of time and money. I would like to see a cloud service that is linked to my BBID so that I can quickly access large files on either my BB or my PB. That would be cool, but to ask that RIM should set up a secure, free, cross-platform service is just silly to me.
    Yeah, I agree. Since dropbox does just that. Maybe carrier-hosted e-mail should have a BBID login to access it from a computer. That way, there isn't a loss of one's e-mail and all it's contents if they forget the password for that carrier-hosted e-mail address.
    01-01-12 10:55 PM
    Figured What the heck, I'll type out what I would want to do if I was designing the cloud service for RIM

BES cloud Service would allow for Remote hosted Storage, or locally hosted storage. The BES would manage Access permissions: Devices access, User Access, user allotment, Notifications of allotments, logging of access,
    Admins would be able to say files XYZ are only accessible from Device X, whilst files ABC are accessible from any device, as well as giving time restrictions to access, and sending notifications to the owner of a file that it has been accessed, this is akin to the read receipt emails, but keeps the large files out of the email server and just links to the cloud, integrating this with email would allow for Mass emailing for a file to be auto uploaded to the cloud server with a link for access being emailed so there are large attachments requiring syncing/replicating for remote users.

For the Consumer side the Cloud Service would be tied to BIS,
    Users when setting up a BlackBerry would have access to a BIS app on their device that shows them all the set up things,
    BIS Hosted Cloud Storage, 1GB Free, Additional space purchasable through Carrier or direct billing with RIM inside Cloud App,
    Cloud Management with the ability to link cloud services together like BlackBerry does with emails, DropBox etc, managing those services from a single point, using them to back up eachother or for specific purposes.
    Windows/Mac/Linux Desktop Application to link to cloud services and manage them in a familiar interface as the Blackberry device app.
    The Desktop app would allow access to BIS Webmail, BIS Cloud Storage, Cloud Management, and device access management, login to management can be locked to access only via specific devices, or just using a userID Password, the Cloud Service would nee a Public Postable option for Documents such as pictures like Flickr,

RIM doesn't need to make it FREE for all, but Free for BlackBerry users for basic functions than the ability to purchase access to the service via an App in other platforms app worlds, they purchase the App for cloud service management, but BIS access would require registration with the carrier,
    As per usual deRusett, I'm lock step with you, I think having a cloud based Webmail service that would sync folders with the device and your desktop, ect, would be a big selling point. It would be great if we had the option to do all this through MS Outlook. Heck, if I'm on my wish list, bring in MS OneNote mobile device/ desktop integration too.
    01-01-12 11:36 PM

Missed that "free". Yes, not sure if it would be worthwhile to have a free low-end service which is quite limited and tiered value-added levels. Offering something for free often devalues it and RIM definitely doesn't want anything linked with their secure services to be considered "cheap".
    01-02-12 02:10 AM
    I strongly agree that there should be some cloud system, at least for contacts/calendar/tasks/notes that would provide instantaneous sync with Outlook. I just setup iCloud for someone, and the integration for contacts and calendar between iDevices and outlook is instant and seamless. If we could get something like that for RIM, that would be amazing.
    01-02-12 05:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD