RIM lost out on Swype, but they have a chance to go after Swiftkey.

Why?

Integrate the tech with SureType, and the new BB10 Kick-A$$ keyboard.

AND

Screw Android and Apple before they acquire this company.
    10-25-12 01:34 PM
    Is SwiftKey looking to be bought?
    richardat likes this.
    10-25-12 01:52 PM
    Yeah, Swiftkey definitely has momentum behind them. Not sure if they'd want to be bought...
    richardat likes this.
    10-25-12 01:54 PM
    Android was ones of their first uses if i recall correctly. Dont think it would be in their interest to be purchased by someone who would likely limit the licensing to android once purchased
    10-25-12 02:21 PM
    Did you see their new Android keyboard announced today? The name sounds familiar....

SwiftKey Flow - Coming soon for Android�
    10-25-12 02:40 PM
    If Swiftkey was looking to be bought, I'd doubt RIM would be the ones to afford them.
    10-25-12 02:51 PM
    Did you see their new Android keyboard announced today? The name sounds familiar....

SwiftKey Flow - Coming soon for Android�
    That is ridiculous that they would steal the flow name.
    10-25-12 03:41 PM
    Yeah...because RIM was the first company EVER to use the word flow...besides, they're running out of words that describe the movement of typing without lifting your fingers. You have Swype (swipe). You have Trace. Now there's Flow.
    richardat likes this.
    10-25-12 03:50 PM
    yea, just like how its ridiculous every company stole the word "app" from apple too right?

not to mention, swift flow and BB flow have no correlation on their functions either.
    10-25-12 04:29 PM
    Hot damn! The Fearless Leader of CrackBerry took notice of the thread - I'm honoured Sir!

RIM has made some very good acquisitions (Gist, Scoreloop, etc..), however there are more that can be made. However, given RIM's "position" right now, it's highly doubtful that they can make any other key acquisitions right now.

Thor(stein)'s quote of "we're not in a spec race" is actually very good. The reason being; while smartphones are getting better monthly, people don't have the money to buy new phones all the time, and carriers don't want customers fliping phones before "paying off" their current phone. It's the software that needs to grow.

The name of the game going forward is NATIVE. Vertical integration. People much rather have things "built-in", than "there's an app for that". This is why RIM should actively continue to make key acquisitions. (plus, there's more patents to be acquired)
    10-25-12 04:32 PM
    I have purchased swiftkey for use with all my devices back when google gave it away for 10� but I don't really find it too much more accurate than stock android keyboard. I find the stock keyboard faster and more fluid tbh, and I can easily type upwards of 45wpm with it. The new update may make it far more worth it now through.

On topic, I hope RIM does not pursue ownership of swiftkey. Instead I would rather swiftkey make an alternative keyboard for the bb app world if possible and that's it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    10-25-12 04:52 PM
    I have purchased swiftkey for use with all my devices back when google gave it away for 10� but I don't really find it too much more accurate than stock android keyboard. I find the stock keyboard faster and more fluid tbh, and I can easily type upwards of 45wpm with it. The new update may make it far more worth it now through.

On topic, I hope RIM does not pursue ownership of swiftkey. Instead I would rather swiftkey make an alternative keyboard for the bb app world if possible and that's it.

I don't care for the stock Samsung keyboard, but I was absolutely in love with the stock HTC keyboard. I wish that was available in the Play Store. When I got the SGS3 I gave SwiftKey a try again (I purchased it a long time ago but rarely used it because I liked the HTC keyboard so much) & I'm glad I did. They've really tweaked it a lot from older versions. I also like how I can put a "d-pad" on the keyboard as well. I hope the BB10 keyboard has that feature.
    10-25-12 05:02 PM
    RIM has made some very good acquisitions (Gist, Scoreloop, etc..), however there are more that can be made. However, given RIM's "position" right now, it's highly doubtful that they can make any other key acquisitions right now.
    Meh - they can if they need to, but it would probably be very strategic. I've been in smaller companies with way worse situations (much less cash, much more debt) that have pulled off successful acquisitions.

RIM has made some good acquisitions that you see getting used now (Torch for the browser, gist for the contacts, docs-to-go for the Microsoft compatibility, TAT, QNX), but they've also bought some companies and just pissed them away. Look at Newbay, Alt-N, Chalk, MVS and a host of others they just let die on the vine. I imagine Thorsten's being a lot more pragmatic than Mike and Jim in this area. Hope he's fired the guy in charge, too!
    10-25-12 05:07 PM
    I don't care for the stock Samsung keyboard, but I was absolutely in love with the stock HTC keyboard. I wish that was available in the Play Store. When I got the SGS3 I gave SwiftKey a try again (I purchased it a long time ago but rarely used it because I liked the HTC keyboard so much) & I'm glad I did. They've really tweaked it a lot from older versions. I also like how I can put a "d-pad" on the keyboard as well. I hope the BB10 keyboard has that feature.
    That's a solid point actually. I remember when I liked the HTC keyboard a lot, what I loved most about it was the "dpad". I found it really useful. I'll likely give swiftkey another go once they update it with their "flow" lol.

10-25-12 05:23 PM
    It's fairly ridiculous that... never mind.

The name of the game going forward is NATIVE. Vertical integration. People much rather have things "built-in", than "there's an app for that". (plus, there's more patents to be acquired)
    I don't think people care too much if the functionality is easy to access and works well. It's when you tell them to convert apps that folks get testy. In a lot of cases, native development does spur third-party development though.
    10-25-12 05:38 PM
    Another company RIM should seriously consider acquiring is iSpeech.

For Voice Recognition.
    10-26-12 01:18 PM
    Am I the onlyone that thinks Swiftkey Flow looks a lot like swype on a swiftkey keyboard?

BTW I agree that RIM should look at buying swiftkey. Get BB10 out, & then as soon as RIM is no longer loosing $ every quarter, buy swiftkey. If they want to be known for having the best keyboards both physical & virtual they will need to own swiftkey.
    10-26-12 02:35 PM