This would be a colossal waste of money.
    10-02-12 08:31 PM
    I don't think that is money well spent.

The cash they blow on the superbowl ad would be better spend giving phones away to high profile BB users, celebs,
    They should do both. Don't forget that the Superbowl had 111 million views last year, and also set a record number of tweets. So a Superbowl ad also translates into social media, where the BB ad would have a much longer life since the ad will be re-streamed again and again by news outlets, etc. etc. People will discuss the ad, will compare it to others, so that will give it long shelf life.

On the other hand, giving a phone to a celebrity might insure some good tweets for those who have a gazillion followers, and getting their followers to notice what BB10 had to offer.

Personally I don't give a rat's behind what kind of phone a rich millionaire celebrity might have, and I don't follow any of them on twitter or social media, so unless major news outlets pick up on the fact that Lady GaGa is tweeting like crazy about her new BB10, I'd never know. Or care.

So a high profile ad in the Superbowl would ensure that all demographics actually see the ad.
    10-02-12 08:43 PM
    I'd watch the Super Bowl, just to see a decent BlackBerry commercial. They had a cool GM one last year, and also the Chrysler one with Eminem. Those were pretty "serious" commercials that touched on nostalgia. I think that could be a good road for RIM to take, focussing on the "memories" people have of their BlackBerrys, before they moved onto an iPhone or Android.

Maybe it's the blinking red light that we're all secretly slightly addicted to.

Maybe it's getting a PING!!! from a girl (or guy) you like, or that excitement when you see that they're typing a message.

Or maybe it's BBM groups--it would be great to show the new features of BBM groups (the picture sharing, way better interface).

BlackBerrys have lots of things people miss. People just need to be reminded of these things, and shown the NEW things that BlackBerry 10 has.

Lots of people are just dumb. In at least one commercial, RIM should mention that its new phone has a bigger AND better screen than the iPhone 5, and maybe take a shot at how there's no need to double click any old school HOME BUTTON to switch between apps.

If RIM's marketing department had a Suggestion Box, we all know it would be overflowing right now. I just hope RIM has been listening to what some effective ideas for advertising are.

BlackBerry 10 looks awesome, and the general reaction from the media and tech sites seems to be positive, with a sense of disbelief (just look at the earnings call last week, and the stories that followed). Now would just be the SINGLE WORST time ever for RIM's marketing team to be asleep at the wheel. Falling asleep at the wheel now would probably result in driving RIM off a cliff.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-03-12 01:35 AM
    They took my suggestion:

James bond + maxwell smart + john steed... superphone for superspy

With daniel craig + steve carell + ralph finnes as the males and anne hathaway and uma thurman as Agent 99 and Mrs. Peel, respectively.

I'm sure that professional comedy writers could run with this but I think it would be the "talk of the town" and make everyone aware of the new reinvigorated RIM.
    Sadly, you won't get Daniel Craig, since James Bond is a Sony property.
    10-03-12 01:42 AM
    I don't think that is money well spent.

The cash they blow on the superbowl ad would be better spend giving phones away to high profile BB users, celebs, or just dedicated iphone/android fans and have them tweet their experience for 30 days, and if they like it keep it. Using word of mouth and instagram/fb and such to promote themselves.

Imagine seeing Obama walking down for his state of the union address with a BB10 device in hand, or Lebron on ESPN in the locker room jamming away on beats headphones by Dr Dre with a B10 visible....that is much better marketing than some snarky commercial, and then the rest of the ads should just be posted for free on youtube....save your money rim
    No reason why they can't do both.

And, frankly, they HAVE to spend the money on a Super Bowl spot. If only to prove to the rest of the world that they still can.

(and I love that idea of Obama rocking a BB10 for the SotU address... sadly, it will likely take the NSA a good 18 months to certify BB10 as being fit for his use...)
    10-03-12 01:45 AM
    Agree 100% with Thunderbuck...sponsoring the half-time show would be even better. To kick it off, just start with the flashing message indicator, followed by the BBM Spark. Then have the performing artist(s) bbm vid chat a piece of the performance to the audience, have some one else type a flick the words up to the big screens....adding a special sign language via vid chat would be an extra touch.

Lusting over BB10 just thinking about alllll the possibilities.
    10-03-12 02:05 PM
    They should have that guy singing "Back in Black" or something.
    The beginning guitar intro to Back In Black by AC/DC would grab anyone's attention. All music, no vocals, running through a never before seen/leaked commercial showcasing the amazing new features of BB10, ending with the BB symbol fading into the screen hearing "'Cause I'm back in black!" Man, I should work in advertising lol..
    Zirak likes this.
    10-03-12 02:14 PM
    One that starts funny but then ends serious. Kind of like saying "we were a joke to you but now we're getting back to business". Something along those lines anyway.
    But RIM wants the BlackBerry brand to appeal to sexting teenagers so any reference to "back to business" will turn them off...unless they are in "the business." < cough, cough >
    10-03-12 02:26 PM
    Nice "business" call BB9700CA...lol.
    10-03-12 07:11 PM
    There is only one problem with this thread...

Superbowl ad time is already full...

I hope they do have a commercial though
    10-03-12 07:23 PM
    Sony also owns Get Smart. Warner has the movie rights to the Avengers.
    Actually Walt Disney Studios owns the right to the Avengers after purchasing Marvel in 2009.
    10-03-12 10:33 PM
    Well here's to hoping that RIM was proactive or has some excitement generating alternatives in place.
    10-04-12 10:00 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD