This is just my two cents. Since BB10 is due to hit the market in Q1 2013 (January) RIM should burn some of that cash leading up to and during the Super Bowl (Feb. 3, 2013) to promote BB10 in the US. So far those that I've shown the demo BB10 video to have gotten super excited because all they've been hearing is BB is dead.

While I understand the US is still sour on BB, most of it appears to be from lack of education/understanding. Hopefully we can overcome this.
    00stryder likes this.
    10-02-12 12:08 PM
    BB10 most likely won't launch in January. February is a more realistic launch dream.

They're ending the 10k Reasons contest on Jan 21 and will need a couple of weeks to approve apps for BB10.
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    10-02-12 12:13 PM
    Would make total sense, the Super Bowl is Feb 3rd I believe next year. Guess what? People are actually watching commercials.
    10-02-12 12:37 PM
    Apps don't really affect the release of a phone. However, with RIM's past and not having certain apps available at launch, it seems better to wait. However, Q1 could also be March.
    Last edited by jason18; 10-03-12 at 02:08 PM.
    10-02-12 12:48 PM
    Either way....the Super Bowl would be perhaps the best opportunity to get the word out. We watch for the game itself, but always stay tuned for the commercials because they are some of the best of the year.
    10-02-12 12:53 PM
    Do you think they should make a funny commercial like superbowl ads tend to be? Or serious?
    10-02-12 12:55 PM
    I definitely agree that they should pursue Superbowl ad time. Though, it's extremely competitive and really more of a bidding contest. RIM would have to commit to pay quite a bit, but the new CMO did mention that they had a substantial budget for marketing.
    10-02-12 12:58 PM
    One that starts funny but then ends serious. Kind of like saying "we were a joke to you but now we're getting back to business". Something along those lines anyway.
    Harborcoat likes this.
    10-02-12 01:04 PM
    Honestly...for the Super Bowl...I believe the ad would definitely have to be an attention grabber. Funny will make it memorable but in doing so it would have to have major substance. So an EXCELLENT, solid, polished, substance packed, but not overwhelming, 1 minute ad, that grabs attention, drops jaws and creates lust. That should do it.
    mithrazor likes this.
    10-02-12 01:06 PM
    I think they missed a golden opportunity with the Playbook, they should have gotten in bed with the NFL then and really focused on fantasy football apps too. Could have made a big difference.

As for the Super Bowl, expensive as ! I don't know, for a 30 second spot I'm not sure I'd have faith in RIM's add men.
    10-02-12 01:16 PM
    Honestly...for the Super Bowl...I believe the ad would definitely have to be an attention grabber. Funny will make it memorable but in doing so it would have to have major substance. So an EXCELLENT, solid, polished, substance packed, but not overwhelming, 1 minute ad, that grabs attention, drops jaws and creates lust. That should do it.
    Great idea op agree 100%
    xposeurphoto likes this.
    10-02-12 01:23 PM
    @DonnyVantage...this is the new RIM..new CMO. It can be done. There's nothing but space, time, and opportunity.
    10-02-12 03:11 PM
    To make an one minute ad would be probably blow the marketing budget.

almost $8 million for one commercial? C'mon now
    10-02-12 03:42 PM
    @TW93...perhaps it would blow the marketing budget. Under normal circumstances I would definitely agree with you 100%. However, there is a reason companies continue to buy Super Bowl ad time...it pays off. Branding (or re-branding), recognition, chatter and this ultimately turns into sales.

As my 5th grade teacher scribbled on a note to me for promotion to the 6th, "Time is Money". And as my international finance teacher stressed, "Risk Nothing, Gain Nothing!"
    Last edited by xposeurphoto; 10-02-12 at 04:19 PM.
    10-02-12 04:16 PM
    People this is make or break time for RIM - they need to bet the farm and spend the rest of that 2.3 billion dollar cash hoard. Superbowl ads pay for themselves. Some people admit that they don't even care about the football, they only watch for the commercials. I say do it RIM and make it good. I would talk about a comeback story to pump people up. a la General Motors? Remember this:
    10-02-12 04:57 PM
    Rim can't afford super bowl ad time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    10-02-12 05:09 PM
    Do you think they should make a funny commercial like superbowl ads tend to be? Or serious?
    They should have that guy singing "Back in Black" or something.
    10-02-12 05:14 PM
    A SuperBowl Ad would be a novel idea for RIM to try and recaptivate that US market share. How about going a step further and help sponsor the half time show? Then follow up with the NBA All-Star Game.

You could have thrown the NHL All-Star game in there; but that's right; there won't be one.
    10-02-12 05:20 PM
    Rim can't afford super bowl ad time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    They can start with the Grey Cup.
    10-02-12 05:22 PM
    I think they need to sponsor the entire f*!#@ng Super Bowl.

By the time the Super Bowl airs, RIM will have had one horrendous year (2011) followed by a quiet, "rebuilding" year (2012). They will be about to reveal a new product that HAS to be a game changer for them, and the Super Bowl will be an excellent place to give it its public reveal.

It's big, it's splashy, and it's one of the few venues where, yes, people actually pay attention to the commercials.

They need a campaign that will be energetic and positive. As cute as the iPhone-lineup parody has been for Samsung, they need to rise above that kind of cheap-shot mentality. They need to tell a real story of renewal, what the Blackberry brand really means, and that the new product is as good (or better) than anything else on the market.

And they need to get Jon Hamm back for voice talent
    10-02-12 05:29 PM
    Instead of ads during the Super Bowl, how about ads around the time of the Super Bowl, especially after? Most of the ads that air during the Super Bowl get aired afterward. People who miss the Super Bowl, or want a second look, will see RIM's ads mixed in with the Super Bowl ones. That will save on airing costs.
    10-02-12 06:13 PM
    Any advertisement during the super bowl would have to be pretty special to justify the cost. But hey, Apple did it with "1984".

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-02-12 07:20 PM
    Instead of ads during the Super Bowl, how about ads around the time of the Super Bowl, especially after? Most of the ads that air during the Super Bowl get aired afterward. People who miss the Super Bowl, or want a second look, will see RIM's ads mixed in with the Super Bowl ones. That will save on airing costs.
    Obviously, RIM wants the biggest bang it can get for its marketing buck. What they really need to do, though, is identify the best promotional opportunities and not hold back.

The Super Bowl really is one of those opportunities. It attracts a HUGE demographic, and the ads are an event within the big event in and of themselves.

Now, the all-time ultimate Super Bowl ad was Apple's ad for the Macintosh in 1984, but I don't think most people understand that by many standards that ad was an abject failure. Certainly, it built an image around Apple and set the stage for the original Mac's launch, but it didn't show anything of the product itself and it certainly didn't help sell Macs (they sold at less than a third of projections for the first year).

RIM needs something attention-grabbing and catchy, but not quite so edgy and abstract as Apple's 1984 ad.
    10-02-12 07:26 PM
    They took my suggestion:

James bond + maxwell smart + john steed... superphone for superspy

With daniel craig + steve carell + ralph finnes as the males and anne hathaway and uma thurman as Agent 99 and Mrs. Peel, respectively.

I'm sure that professional comedy writers could run with this but I think it would be the "talk of the town" and make everyone aware of the new reinvigorated RIM.
    10-02-12 07:59 PM
    I don't think that is money well spent.

The cash they blow on the superbowl ad would be better spend giving phones away to high profile BB users, celebs, or just dedicated iphone/android fans and have them tweet their experience for 30 days, and if they like it keep it. Using word of mouth and instagram/fb and such to promote themselves.

Imagine seeing Obama walking down for his state of the union address with a BB10 device in hand, or Lebron on ESPN in the locker room jamming away on beats headphones by Dr Dre with a B10 visible....that is much better marketing than some snarky commercial, and then the rest of the ads should just be posted for free on youtube....save your money rim
    10-02-12 08:28 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD