just annouced earlier another 2 high members just left RIM..!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    04-06-12 07:31 PM
    More of a Plane low on fuel,

They're tossing out dead weight hoping to stay in the air until they get to the BB10 Airport to fill up and launch again
    04-06-12 07:33 PM

They're tossing out dead weight hoping to stay in the air until they get to the BB10 Airport to fill up and launch again
    Great analogy!
    miker476 likes this.
    04-06-12 07:34 PM

They really need to hire YOU to come up with their next marketing campaign.
    Magnesus likes this.
    04-06-12 08:09 PM
    In answer to the OP's question, phack no!
    04-06-12 08:11 PM
    Phark.
    04-06-12 08:26 PM
    No Way!!! The titanic only took a couple of hours to sink RIM is taking forever and it's only sinking in select markets. That's basically like if a modern ship hit an iceberg, so many doors would be shut in order to keep from filling up the ship. It would present a major headache for the captain but he could still get back to port and repair the ship.

Using that metaphor, RIM just has some water in it (bad marketing) and it needs to hurry up and return to Port to be repaired (OS10 with GREAT marketing)

Basically what is happening is the general population compares RIM to Android and Apple and they see the blackberry as a phone that has fallen back rather then a superior device. I gave my Android to my mother to get my Blackberry back because I saw that it is just generally better as a messaging device and the stock media player on it is great (I love those top buttons also) but the problem is, that the general population gets a phone for games and "the bells and whistles" with blackberry being a strict phone and "Command Center" (as another user on this forum put it) it is not made for games, it's made to get messages ASAP and allow you to reply quickly and continue your life.

It also doesn't help when everyone is saying bad things about Blackberry even when some of these people know nothing about Blackberry. I knew one girl in my school who said Blackberry "is just stupid" She knew very little about it, was still running OS5, and just wanted games like Angry Birds and Temple Run. What I find so funny about being a convert is that the main reason that people switch is because of the Games but yet I found the games get boring after a while. If I was to switch back to either another Android or iPhone it wouldn't be for the Apps or the Games, it would be for the better Camera, 4G Connection (obviously this only goes for Android), and a better Voice to Text system. Anyone who has used Vlingo on android and then used Vlingo on Blackberry will know what I mean, as far as Voice Commands are concerned Android beats Blackberry out of the park.
    kittencounter likes this.
    04-06-12 08:37 PM
    There's always too many senior upper level vice president of the vice president types anyway. Don't refill these positions RIM. One President, one Vice. Your welcome.
    04-06-12 08:47 PM

Nice analogy.

The problem is the BB10 Airport is somewhere in Europe and the plane only has enough fuel to reach Pearson International.

6+ months away is utterly ridiculous.
    04-06-12 08:50 PM
    Im guessing these guys were making over $100 000 easy. I think they will hire new people for a little less.

If you get fresh blood in at $10-$20 k less they are dramatically changing the work environment AND saving money.

This shows the current employees that the company knows where the problems are and will do what it takes to correct the path. If all those employees were giving up bc they felt that no one with power cared they are going to be changing their minds and putting their heads down to focus on work instead of all the other drama.

When a snake bites you you suck out the poison. Hopefully its all out now
    04-06-12 08:59 PM
    Im guessing these guys were making over $100 000 easy. I think they will hire new people for a little less.

If you get fresh blood in at $10-$20 k less they are dramatically changing the work environment AND saving money.

This shows the current employees that the company knows where the problems are and will do what it takes to correct the path. If all those employees were giving up bc they felt that no one with power cared they are going to be changing their minds and putting their heads down to focus on work instead of all the other drama.

I don't suspect they will fill all the rolls they've cleaned out, RIM was very top heavy during their growth times, they NEEDED to be leaned out, and management positions amalgamated,
    04-06-12 09:08 PM
    Nice analogy.

The problem is the BB10 Airport is somewhere in Europe and the plane only has enough fuel to reach Pearson International.

6+ months away is utterly ridiculous.
    Do they have a choice?
    04-06-12 09:13 PM
    I don't suspect they will fill all the rolls they've cleaned out, RIM was very top heavy during their growth times, they NEEDED to be leaned out, and management positions amalgamated,
    Oh, that's a given in my mind. I was just talking about the people they do replace.
    04-06-12 09:27 PM
    If we're following the Titanic analogy, then I'd say the main cruise ship has already sunk, Everyone's is on life boats but they're all taking on water at the moment. The closet island is 8 months of rowing away, even then, that island is likely to be populated by cannibals. Everyone is now just hoping to stay afloat and pray that a fishing trawler somewhere will hear their distress signal and come by to pick up survivors.
    04-06-12 09:28 PM
    Oh, that's a given in my mind. I was just talking about the people they do replace.
    I wouldn't expect the salaries to change much, you need to pay to have good people in good positions, RIM's Balance sheet still can afford to pay people what they deserve, they just need to get the right people in those places to get them to BB10 an beyond
    04-06-12 09:34 PM

oh wow. that's pretty naive. Every one of these guys have been making millions for at least the last 5 years. A Senior VP's guarantee salary at a company like RIM is something like $4-500K. A CTO/COO position pays $700K-1M. Stack on top of that stocks and other benefits, you're talking about multiple $10M a year. Everyone departure that has been made public by name is sure to get millions and millions in severance packages.

People at that level do not worry about their future when they get fired. Often they don't have to work another day for the rest of their life.

This does not show that the company knows what they are doing at all. It just means there was some political in-fighting going on and it's all about power struggle within the company rather than trying to do the right thing.

Otherwise, if everyone get along, these guys would not be let go, but rather, they would be reassigned to different positions, especially if the company is in trouble and needs all the talent they have.
    04-06-12 09:41 PM

Im going to bet it was a lot more then 100k
    Magnesus likes this.
    04-06-12 10:05 PM
    At our company, we have Senior Vice Presidents of their own office! No one reports to them... And to afford these stiffs, the employees do not get annual increases... Top Heavy to the Max..

Maybe that was the senario at Rimm... Glad to see they are being elemintated. If only they would increase their regular employees salaries who do the real work.
    04-06-12 10:35 PM
    Im going to bet it was a lot more then 100k
    that is also a given... i was just using low numbers to prove the point.

if these guys made 100k and wont be replaced that is 100k in the bank...
    if they made 200k... you get it.
    04-07-12 12:02 AM
    Lots of doom and gloom these days. Though I have been seeing an increase amount of BlackBerry users in my country, namely the Bold series. Not just in the older audience, but younger crowd as well. Where as previously it was dominated by iPhones, these days you can see lots of Android and BlackBerry as well. Windows phone still not catching on though.
    04-07-12 12:18 AM
    that is also a given... i was just using low numbers to prove the point.

if these guys made 100k and wont be replaced that is 100k in the bank...
    if they made 200k... you get it.
    I think the appropriate saying here is penny wise, pound foolish.

A few million here and there in compensation is not going to break RIM's financials. The bigger issue is that companies can't magically get good at marketing or software development or supply chain mgmt overnight by just wishing it. You get good quickly by bringing in some experienced leadership who have proven these skills elsewhere.

For RIM to get these people to move up to Waterloo, Ontario from Redmond or Mountain View or Cupertino or Seoul or wherever, they are going to need to pay very, very well. And I think that's fine. Apple pays a few of its senior executives (like their CMO) millions per month or more, plus options. The shareholders are quite happy to pay that considering the many billions those executives are worth to the company. For RIM to compete with Google and Apple and Microsoft, they have to pay like Google, Apple and Microsoft (plus some i think considering the geography)
    Last edited by app_Developer; 04-07-12 at 12:32 AM.
    04-07-12 12:28 AM
    I think the appropriate saying here is penny wise, pound foolish.

A few million here and there in compensation is not going to break RIM's financials. The bigger issue is that companies can't magically get good at marketing or software development or supply chain mgmt overnight by just wishing it. You get good quickly by bringing in some experienced leadership who have proven these skills elsewhere.

For RIM to get these people to move up to Waterloo, Ontario from Redmond or Mountain View or Cupertino or Seoul or wherever, they are going to need to pay very, very well. And I think that's fine. Apple pays its a few of its senior executives (like their CMO) millions per month or more, plus options. The shareholders are quite happy to pay that considering the many billions those executives are worth.
    Oh, i know that the salary of these guys wont SAVE RIM... but it would be one less thing to worry about. Also, im sure it wasnt the salary that got them fired (do we know if they were fired...) I will stand by my notion that the NEW leaders are trying to cleanse the company of poisons that it has ingested over the years of bad practices and other things that can bring down a company.

I TOTALLY agree that they cant get better at marketing... WITHOUT MAKING A CHANGE. But seeing how everything is changing pretty quick this may just happen. I know at least 3 people in my circle of friends that are amazing at the marketing/advertising jobs that they do, and they are 22-30 years old... so i can imagine the depth of the talent pool that RIM would have to choose from. The main thing to take from this is that THEY WILL BE CHOOSING from that pool now that these people are gone.

Imagine being known as 'the person who saved RIM'... im sure A LOT of young and talented people would be dying for that job.
    04-07-12 12:34 AM
    And not just top heavy. But then there's also a need to remove any last resistance to the changes that have to be made. I am guessing the lack of os7 device acceptance (relatively speaking) has caused RIM to feel more urgency to put the QNX folks in top roles. ASAP. Just a guess though.
    04-07-12 01:38 AM
    And not just top heavy. But then there's also a need to remove any last resistance to the changes that have to be made. I am guessing the lack of os7 device acceptance (relatively speaking) has caused RIM to feel more urgency to put the QNX folks in top roles. ASAP. Just a guess though.
    This could also be true... it would be very difficult to go from A to B when all the top guys are on TEAM A
    04-07-12 01:49 AM
    oh wow. that's pretty naive.Every one of these guys have been making millions for at least the last 5 years. A Senior [/B]VP's guarantee salary at a company like RIM is something like $4-500K. A CTO/COO position pays $700K-1M. Stack on top of that stocks and other benefits, you're talking about multiple $10M a year. Everyone departure that has been made public by name is sure to get millions and millions in severance packages.
    I agree , i was just using the low numbers to prove the point without being specific.

People at that level do not worry about their future when they get fired. Often they don't have to work another day for the rest of their life.

This does not show that the company knows what they are doing at all. It just means there was some political in-fighting going on and it's all about power struggle within the company rather than trying to do the right thing.
    I think that ending any sort of in-fighting is a step in the right direction... it will eliminate stress and anxiety in the work environment and show the employees that the management is willing to do what it takes to move forward

Otherwise, if everyone get along, these guys would not be let go, but rather, they would be reassigned to different positions, especially if the company is in trouble and needs all the talent they have.
    What if the company is in trouble BECAUSE of the talent they HAD which then decided not to care, or was unable to adjust to the rapidly changing culture they are dealing with?

New talent is better then no talent... even if they have to pay the people they let go for a while. Paying someone 1 Million to do nothing is a lot worse then paying two people 1 Million to GET THE JOB DONE!
    04-07-12 01:56 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD