Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any insight and information on RIM's investment and growth in the Ottawa area? Especially as it pertains to the growth and investment in QNX...Thanks

I imagine there is a lot of activity underway...We seem to have very limited info in regards to this massively strategic future growth area....
    08-07-11 04:43 PM
    Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any insight and information on RIM's investment and growth in the Ottawa area? Especially as it pertains to the growth and investment in QNX...Thanks

I imagine there is a lot of activity underway...We seem to have very limited info in regards to this massively strategic future growth area....

With RIM looking to stream line services and Ottawa being an expensive city to do business I honestly would NOT be surprised in the slightest if RIM is working on relocating the primary QNX staff from the Ottawa area into the Waterloo Area, and negotiating with them to get them to make the move, I would see more divestment in Ottawa, not investment until they have regained Stock holders trust, and see an upswing in their P/E

This is pure speculation as I have no insight into this, but if I was in management I'd be trying to get the core kernel team to be working in the same building as the UI teams
    08-07-11 04:49 PM
    With RIM looking to stream line services and Ottawa being an expensive city to do business I honestly would NOT be surprised in the slightest if RIM is working on relocating the primary QNX staff from the Ottawa area into the Waterloo Area, and negotiating with them to get them to make the move, I would see more divestment in Ottawa, not investment until they have regained Stock holders trust, and see an upswing in their P/E

This is pure speculation as I have no insight into this, but if I was in management I'd be trying to get the core kernel team to be working in the same building as the UI teams
    I can see this scenario playing out....especially in regards to closely engaged QNX and RIM staff working together on future and present Blackberry products...

I'm under the impression that RIM is currently constructing a facility in Kanata that will bring much of RIM's 1000 employees in the Ottawa area under one roof....

This is an article from Nov 10' that mentions the construction of a new RIM facility in the Ottawa area

Last edited by missing_K-W; 08-07-11 at 05:13 PM.
    08-07-11 05:10 PM
    RIM is expanding in Ottawa, the last article I saw on any updates was this:

RIM expansion a sad reflection of city attitude to development

Theres a development taking place on Innovation Drive in the Kanata North Business Park that most civic leaders can only dream of.

Topics :
    Algonquin College , Research In Motion , Nortel Networks , Ottawa , Carling Avenue , Ottawa.If

Research In Motion, one of the countrys brightest tech stars, is constructing a new five-storey office building as part of its local expansion, laying the foundation for the technology jobs this city is so eager to reclaim.

But sources close to the project say city delays and bureaucratic hurdles prevented the BlackBerry maker from securing the necessary development permits in a reasonable and timely fashion, prompting the Waterloo-based company to question whether it wants to continue growing in Ottawa.

During the application process, delays ensued as the file was passed from one planner to another to another, the sources said. The site plan itself was fine, but there were said to be some concerns over the securities that must be put up to ensure a development proceeds within the approved framework.

Such measures are obviously in place for a reason, but one would think the city would show some flexibility to assist a Canadian corporate champion thats interested in expanding locally, rather than treat it like an unproven speculator.

Skeptics may say this is but one anecdotal complaint, but the citys own numbers show it is a systemic problem thats persisted in Ottawa for years.

The municipality is required to process site plan applications within legislatively mandated turnaround times that depend on the complexity of the project. Those targets must be met at least 80 per cent of the time.

However, quarterly performance reports to council show the city hasnt even come close to this benchmark at any point over the past five years.

While RIM opted to forge ahead with its Innovation Drive project, the next key test may come as the buyers of Nortel Networkss business units prepare to exit the Carling Avenue campus.

Ericsson is said to have found a new home on Terry Fox Drive, and both Avaya and Genband are expected to be able to fit within existing buildings. However, Ciena is rumoured to be shopping for 300,000 square feet and may be forced to pursue a build-to-suit opportunity if it wants to stay in Ottawa.

If so, it would be a challenge to erect a new building and fit it up with the specialty lab space the company requires before its lease with the new owner of the former Nortel campus, Public Works, expires. If Ciena opts to go that route, the city should be at the table, helping it secure the necessary development permits in a timely fashion to keep the company in Ottawa.

Anyone who thinks companies like RIM and Ciena are somehow constrained to doing business in Ottawa is mistaken. With bases in many major North American cities, they can pick up and move almost anywhere.

Developers say there are precedents to modifying the application process senior city officials have partnered with developers to ensure the success of important city projects, such as the new Ottawa Convention Centre, the expansion of Algonquin College and the redevelopment of the Royal Ottawa Hospital.

But when it comes to private-sector developments, there is seemingly still a distrust or at least a lack of accommodation that can make securing the necessary approvals a challenge.

Its wrong to expect global companies will always be willing to bear an overly onerous development process when there are skilled workforces and more amenable municipal bureaucracies in other cities.

Mayor Jim Watson promised to introduce clear turnaround times on planning and permitting as part of his election platform, even though those standards already exist in many cases. During the campaign, he pledged that the city would waive or reduce application fees if it failed to meet its own standards.

A spokesperson for Mr. Watson was unable to say where things stand on that election promise. Regardless, it is going to take more than a catchy-sounding money-back guarantee to turn Ottawa into a welcoming place for expanding businesses.

The city should stop thinking of itself as a mere approval body, and start recognizing its important role as a partner in helping the private sector grow and prosper.

In regards to QNX, I do some dealing with them and the general feeling, although I could be wrong, is that QNX acts as an independent company, separate from RIM. Obviously they work closely and RIM owns them, but they seem to work independently, however that may have since changed and once the new complex is complete they will move, but as of now QNX is still located in their old offices. That said, its about a 10 minute drive between the 2 buildings.
    08-07-11 05:59 PM
    I can see this scenario playing out....especially in regards to closely engaged QNX and RIM staff working together on future and present Blackberry products...

I'm under the impression that RIM is currently constructing a facility in Kanata that will bring much of RIM's 1000 employees in the Ottawa area under one roof....

This is an article from Nov 10' that mentions the construction of a new RIM facility in the Ottawa area

I had not seen that before, RIM still lists 2 locations in ottawa as corporate offices AND 1 Kanata location, The speculation was that RIM would be doing hiring into the larger location and it would see completion within a year. so assuming RIM has the building up now, I don't suspect you'll see many people get hired, but it could be a growth opportunity as things develop.

Since we haven't seen any news about it and with the 2000 people laid off you'd expect someone to have brought out information about a shiny new building with no one to work in it
    08-07-11 06:02 PM
    In regards to QNX, I do some dealing with them and the general feeling, although I could be wrong, is that QNX acts as an independent company, separate from RIM. Obviously they work closely and RIM owns them, but they seem to work independently, however that may have since changed and once the new complex is complete they will move, but as of now QNX is still located in their old offices. That said, its about a 10 minute drive between the 2 buildings.
    I would expect RIM to leave QNX to continue as it's own entity until it can be assimilated into the corporate culture, you don't want to break something that works so you inject your culture into it, over a 1-5 year mission as their will be duplication of staff and functions within such an organization, usually it is the accounting and financial departments that see the first effects of a buy out/ merger like this
    08-07-11 06:05 PM
    RIM needs to keep the Ottawa offices, and expand into Silicon Valley/San Francisco. Many developers don't want to live in a small town like Waterloo, and attracting rock-star developers is very important, one great developer is worth 5 average ones at least. Ottawa is no Montreal or Toronto, but with 1 million population it's a way better place to live than Waterloo for most young devs.

If RIM was smart they would open more Dev offices giving the best coders a choice on where they want to work.
    08-07-11 11:10 PM
    RIM needs to keep the Ottawa offices, and expand into Silicon Valley/San Francisco. Many developers don't want to live in a small town like Waterloo, and attracting rock-star developers is very important, one great developer is worth 5 average ones at least. Ottawa is no Montreal or Toronto, but with 1 million population it's a way better place to live than Waterloo for most young devs.

If RIM was smart they would open more Dev offices giving the best coders a choice on where they want to work.
    Ottawa is a H*LL of a City to live in!

If RIM is looking at where to attract young Devs Waterloo gives weekend access to Toronto, Grandbend, collingwood, all great places to spend their time without the added language constraints of living on the Quebec boarder.

I HAVE! to go to Ottawa for work and I fight to find ways out of it the city is just a nightmare for navigation, Cost of living is inflated due to the political nature of the city and age of the city, waterloo if a far more attractive place to set up a work/life balance.

Not that I like Waterloo either, as I prefer to live further north, but the argument that keeping Ottawa for the developers to have a better life is ridiculous.
    08-08-11 07:22 AM
    Ottawa was recently rated one of the top quality of life cities to live in, young developers don't want weekend access to places, they want to be able to get to bar/club/restaurant/lan party close by. Ottawa is pretty cool compared to Waterloo at least Diversity can be good, I like the satellite office idea, I'm pretty sure RIM isn't making TAT or Wikitude guys move to Waterloo...or they would jump ship asap.
    08-08-11 11:25 PM
    The QNX offices are in the south Kanata suburb of Ottawa, I've walked by them. The RIM offices in Ottawa are on March rd in Kanata as well so they are not far off. I know a couple people that work for RIM and QNX in Ottawa as well. They love it. There are also QNX advertisement on OC transpo buses in Ottawa which promote QNX as a great OS to try and attract developers.

I know Ottawa RIM employees that are being trained on QNX. It'll take some time to get RIM up to speed on QNX, but its happening.
    08-08-11 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD