There has always been demand for an Android device with a RIM keyboard, and RIM could theoretically push it out as a stopgap to BB10, to help dissuade some of the doom and gloom naysayers:

RIM would simply have to build the hardware (or modify existing hardware such as the Bold 9900), which takes far less time then building a new OS. For software all they would really need to do is make drivers, because the stock Ice Cr�me Sandwich GUI is (apparently) really good so they don't have to drain resources making a custom skin.

I believe RIM can bring out something like this in two months.

And they can come out with a higher end model, which includes the latest processors and a higher resolution screen (but a good keyboard still).

This would be all they would need to do. This would distract people until BB10 is FINALLY launching. After that they can have a minimal team maintaining the Android phone's code, or they can unlock the bootloader and release the source code.

Thoughts?
    06-29-12 12:15 PM
    This is like RIM opening their doors for security breaches... Blackberries are all about security, while Android is all about exposing users. RIM will never benefit from launching an Android device...
    06-29-12 12:24 PM
    RIM loses money on hardware!!!!!!!!!!!

No point of spending R&D on an unsecure OS that will have a negative effect on the financials.

If your margins are negative, no point of trying to sell more.
    06-29-12 12:27 PM
    This is like RIM opening their doors for security breaches... Blackberries are all about security, while Android is all about exposing users. RIM will never benefit from launching an Android device...
    People have proven time and time again though that the security aspect doesn't mean diddly to them really. Only when it goes bad, do they care. And even then it's more along the lines of "How could this happen? Who can I sue for this disruption in my life? " If it did, RIM wouldn't be in this position right now because everyone would be using BlackBerry smartphones.
    06-29-12 12:29 PM
    06-29-12 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD