But the biggest selling point for BlackBerry is the email, BIS/BES. Not apps. When I was in training to sell RIM (VZW) that was THE top talking point. That RIM was the hardware and software provider. That was supposed to make it smoother and faster.

My parents iPhone gets emails quickly. I haven't played with a Android yet but I'm reading that gmail is instant.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It is. Gmail came in instantly on my iPhone, Android and BB. Sometimes one device would get it quicker than the other, but there is no real winner.
    01-11-11 12:35 PM
    Agreed. I've been reading "BlackBerry is the best for business and serious users. Other phones are toys." But when asked what the BlackBerry can do that an Android can't, you don't get a specific answer.

Anyone? Anyone?
    01-11-11 12:39 PM
    All I'm saying is logicmail is a solution to the bis outtage and truncation, it's there to be used. It's also good for accessing your older emails and folders. Don't knock it for being an "app"

01-11-11 12:41 PM
    Anyone? Anyone?
    BlackBerry can do nothing best. Android/iPhone can do everything a BlackBerry can do, but 576x better, and then a truckload of extra stuff. All my friends say BlackBerry is boring and underpowered, and they aren't exactly wrong. From what I've seen, email actually comes through definitively FASTER on the Android than on the BlackBerry (takes my BB about 20 seconds, Android about 3). Basically, RIM is doomed unless it follows the iPhone 4 style advert, and with regard to itself, it changes everything. Again.
    01-11-11 12:43 PM
    You can't manage Androids and iPhones like you can with BBs on BES, that's the biggest difference. Rooting and jailbreaking can circumvent any policies you put in place. The IT policies on BES are solid. Look how many people still have trouble with them persisting in this forum.

The phones are also solid. Out of our 6 iPhone testers, 2 people broke their phones, one guy TWICE! It wasn't a cheap replacement. I've had BBs fall off of car roofs and down elevator shafts and they still functioned beautifully, only a few plastic pieces needed replacement.

Most businesses don't want you to make your work phone your primary personal line as well. Many employees want to maintain their personal number and porting it in and out can be troublesome, especially in today's volatile employment environment. It also brings up billing concerns. Giving users company email on their personal devices opens security and confidentiality issues. Although its a pain to have multiple devices, there are sometimes good reasons for it.

For us, its not that Android or iOS can't do many of the same things as BB, its that the extra things that they can do provide little benefit to us as a business and are more for personal enjoyment.
    01-11-11 12:49 PM
    You can't manage Androids and iPhones like you can with BBs on BES, that's the biggest difference. Rooting and jailbreaking can circumvent any policies you put in place. The IT policies on BES are solid. Look how many people still have trouble with them persisting in this forum.

The phones are also solid. Out of our 6 iPhone testers, 2 people broke their phones, one guy TWICE! It wasn't a cheap replacement. I've had BBs fall off of car roofs and down elevator shafts and they still functioned beautifully, only a few plastic pieces needed replacement.

Most businesses don't want you to make your work phone your primary personal line as well. Many employees want to maintain their personal number and porting it in and out can be troublesome, especially in today's volatile employment environment. It also brings up billing concerns. Giving users company email on their personal devices opens security and confidentiality issues. Although its a pain to have multiple devices, there are sometimes good reasons for it.

For us, its not that Android or iOS can't do many of the same things as BB, its that the extra things that they can do provide little benefit to us as a business and are more for personal enjoyment.
    What is cheaper: BES or Good? It looks like Good provides the necessary security on Android and iPhone. http://www.good.com/

01-11-11 12:53 PM
    Maximum prices for minimum devices. I bet that's the motto going through the CEO's heads. RIM are worse for nickle and diming you than VZW, and from what I've read, that really is saying something!
    dutchtender likes this.
    01-11-11 12:56 PM
    So not true. My stepdad has a business and uses the iPhone for it. He gets emails, uses documents and has photos of his work in files on his iPhone. He does his billing on his iPhone. The "BlackBerry is the only phone for business" mantra is quickly dying.

I'm not saying BB is the only option for business, I'm saying that those focused only on business (like myself) get what they need from a BB, while the iPhone is out there for a completely different class of people.
    01-11-11 01:02 PM
    Maximum prices for minimum devices. I bet that's the motto going through the CEO's heads. RIM are worse for nickle and diming you than VZW, and from what I've read, that really is saying something!
    Nickle and diming on what? Phones come from the carriers, support contracts and licensing sold through 3rd party vendors. We bought CALs years ago and still have plenty so we only pay for support/maintenance which is just a cost of doing business. If they felt it was too much, we could install a BESX server for FREE and pay per use for support.

BTW, Your emotionally charged rhetoric doesn't help to make your points. In fact, it probably undermines them...
    01-11-11 01:05 PM
    i would guess there are actually better and even a bigger selection of good business apps on iphone and android. there is more CHOICE which is one thing that the BB doesnt have much of at all
    Mat there is no guessing about it.. .You are right for sure. If you were to combine itunes app library and Andriod app store I have no idea but what would be your guess on how many apps between them.

In my impending getting ready to switch platforms in March I have been checking out apps of all kinds(Games are out) with Android and iphone to help me make up my mind. I know it is going to come down to the phone itself but either way I go the phone will not be treated as a play toy. I want work apps and apps that will help me stay in touch and work better in what I do for a living.

The social aspect plays very little to me.
    01-11-11 05:54 PM
    You must have missed BIS Outage of 2010 then. BBM went down, BIS. There was a flood of threads on here for that week! Users who depended on their BlackBerry were mad. Those of us that don't have a computer were stuck. It was really quiet. Ha

yea, like i said, an outage in the USA doesnt mean worldwide. so no there wasnt an outage (unless i was asleep) in the UK of some huge magnitude. i do recall seeing mention as it was on the homepage of CB, but it wasnt affecting UK users.
    01-11-11 06:00 PM
    But the biggest selling point for BlackBerry is the email, BIS/BES. Not apps. When I was in training to sell RIM (VZW) that was THE top talking point. That RIM was the hardware and software provider. That was supposed to make it smoother and faster.

My parents iPhone gets emails quickly. I haven't played with a Android yet but I'm reading that gmail is instant.

iphone w/o a doubt gets email fast because there is a PUSH setting where you can turn off this setting and choose to look for email manually as you choose to.

Android is the same way, I have many friends and customers from work that have Android and they get email very quickly as well, Just as fast as I get my gmail on my Tour.
    01-11-11 06:03 PM
    On the app front, I think it's important to remember that people buy an iPhone to have fun, while companies issues Blackberrys to their staff to perform business tasks. Apps for the two phones have different target markets, where the Blackberry apps need to be perfomance-based.

For instance, I run/own a small business. I want apps that make my life easier, not apps to play games. I have 3-4 that have been purchased from App World, and 2 of those are excellent (Personal Assistant, HandyMoneyLogs) and the other 2 are just "OK" and make my life easier (Gym Technik, Tasks). I do know, however, that the email, SMS, and BBM programs are the only reason I stick with BB - they work and I can count on them.

Fact is there are different needs for market segments, and app developers develop based upon the user profiles.
    I think out of the 300 thousand apps for ip4 one or two of them might be good for work. but that's just me.
    01-11-11 06:14 PM
    And out of the 100s of BlackBerry apps, 1 is good for business! So what.

01-11-11 06:20 PM
    And out of the 100s of BlackBerry apps, 1 is good for business! So what.

Most business "apps" you've never heard of as they're developed specifically for the company needs, some even go as far as having an entire OS built for the company. You'll not find those in appworld.
    Appworld has 420 apps in the business section.

01-11-11 06:33 PM
    I think out of the 300 thousand apps for ip4 one or two of them might be good for work. but that's just me.
    You missed the same point. The iPhone is good for work OR play, but Blackberry is mainly for work. Some of us don't give a rats **** about games, and just want our communications and some internet on a phone. And that's about it.
    01-11-11 06:35 PM
    Custom apps for the ipad are also built for specific businesses. The argument that apple and android are toys just does not hold water.

01-11-11 06:37 PM
    I would suggest that if you have itunes installed on your computer you log in to the app store and on the left side where they list app catagories... Check out any catagory having to do with business, then come back here and post a gee was i wrong about my comment because there are more then plenty of wonderful business apps and it simply is a matter of what you need for business and what you want to do the same as Andriod and BB.

Of course I use a Tour and have business apps on it but RIM does not hold the business app winner anymore than these others.

BB got a name for business because of email and at that time before Android BB was the fasionable way to go for business yuppies plain and simple and now look how the pendulum has swung or we would not have this thread.
    01-11-11 06:48 PM
    You missed the same point. The iPhone is good for work OR play, but Blackberry is mainly for work. Some of us don't give a rats **** about games, and just want our communications and some internet on a phone. And that's about it.
    Right on. I'm not getting an Android to play games. I'll use it to keep in contact with friends/family across the country. I'll use it when I travel a lot to make hotel reservations, flights etc. I never play games on my phone. It's a tool to me. But for me, the BlackBerry isn't cutting it as a tool I need.

Jaguarr40 likes this.
    01-11-11 06:57 PM
    I may have missed the point but I understood your "talking points". but you are correct. ip4 is a much more versatile device and a better value.
    01-11-11 06:59 PM
    I would suggest that if you have itunes installed on your computer you log in to the app store and on the left side where they list app catagories... Check out any catagory having to do with business, then come back here and post a gee was i wrong about my comment because there are more then plenty of wonderful business apps and it simply is a matter of what you need for business and what you want to do the same as Andriod and BB.

Of course I use a Tour and have business apps on it but RIM does not hold the business app winner anymore than these others.

BB got a name for business because of email and at that time before Android BB was the fasionable way to go for business yuppies plain and simple and now look how the pendulum has swung or we would not have this thread.
    you don't know me very well I see...
    01-11-11 07:00 PM
    Right on. I'm not getting an Android to play games. I'll use it to keep in contact with friends/family across the country. I'll use it when I travel a lot to make hotel reservations, flights etc. I never play games on my phone. It's a tool to me. But for me, the BlackBerry isn't cutting it as a tool I need.

DITTO, this is the exact same attitude i have... I could care less about games on a phone i am going to own NEW for the next 2 years after my upgrade in March. If I want to play games I will do that from my PC and I don't even do that that much.

I am a browswer and surfer, use it for informational purposes when needed and like I have been saying all along,... Business first and foremost(the cell phone that is...lol)
    01-11-11 07:07 PM
    Why do people continue to defend a phone whom, as I stated in another thread, can't do ANYTHING best? Android sparkles in customization, iPhone sparkles in apps, Windows Phone sparkles in communications/enterprise. What does BlackBerry sparkle in? Jack crud!
    01-11-11 07:15 PM
    Blackberry phones and things associated are the most secure mobile devices, no competition (in Canada). So, they excel at that.

01-11-11 07:25 PM
    you don't know me very well I see...
    You are right I don't so convince me what you said about iphone and business apps was a mistake that's all.

Either way I commented back to you but it is not that big a deal to get worked up over.
    That what the threads are all about.
    01-11-11 07:30 PM
470 ... 16171819
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD