true it has to be adapted, but then so does the iphone/ipad setup, also how many screen sizes does android have? some things which are based purely on the screen size are a nightmare for developers nomatter which platform its for. releasing an app that from the get go (howarmat i have no knowledge of what you mention but of course will defer to your judgement on that) doesnt work is just stupid.
    Developing for Android devices, or even Windows Mobile devices, is infinitely easier than for RIM.

Have you ever developed a Mobile application?

The biggest issue with most blackberies is the resolution and lack of screen real-estate.

The small screens simply do not lend themselves to the hosting of compelling user experience, and the menus are often a mess to navigate - even in RIM's own applications. That's the same issue Nokia has on it's Eseries QWERTY devices (and Windows Mobile on the QWERTY devices). People are dropping them and moving to touchscreen devices.

That's why the Torch was a GOOD thing, but they miffed it up by making it Exclusive to AT&T here.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-10-11 at 10:24 PM.
    01-10-11 10:17 PM
    Sounds like he was waiing for an excuse! See Ya!
    01-10-11 10:23 PM
    yeah i agree i have had a blackberry for 3yrs and nothing really new grabs your attention as if it was ground breaking news.ive got 4 months left with this blackberry then its on to the droid or if iphone comes to sprint(prayinng and hoping) lol
    01-11-11 01:20 AM
    I came back to BB from an android. They are all flash, and a lot of crap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-11 02:34 AM

could you be a little more SPECIFIC? How about listing just FIVE things that didn't work properly on you Android. thanks!
    01-11-11 09:54 AM
    On the app front, I think it's important to remember that people buy an iPhone to have fun, while companies issues Blackberrys to their staff to perform business tasks. Apps for the two phones have different target markets, where the Blackberry apps need to be perfomance-based.

For instance, I run/own a small business. I want apps that make my life easier, not apps to play games. I have 3-4 that have been purchased from App World, and 2 of those are excellent (Personal Assistant, HandyMoneyLogs) and the other 2 are just "OK" and make my life easier (Gym Technik, Tasks). I do know, however, that the email, SMS, and BBM programs are the only reason I stick with BB - they work and I can count on them.

Fact is there are different needs for market segments, and app developers develop based upon the user profiles.
    01-11-11 10:27 AM
    On the app front, I think it's important to remember that people buy an iPhone to have fun, while companies issues Blackberrys to their staff to perform business tasks. Apps for the two phones have different target markets, where the Blackberry apps need to be perfomance-based.

For instance, I run/own a small business. I want apps that make my life easier, not apps to play games. I have 3-4 that have been purchased from App World, and 2 of those are excellent (Personal Assistant, HandyMoneyLogs) and the other 2 are just "OK" and make my life easier (Gym Technik, Tasks). I do know, however, that the email, SMS, and BBM programs are the only reason I stick with BB - they work and I can count on them.

Fact is there are different needs for market segments, and app developers develop based upon the user profiles.
    So not true. My stepdad has a business and uses the iPhone for it. He gets emails, uses documents and has photos of his work in files on his iPhone. He does his billing on his iPhone. The "BlackBerry is the only phone for business" mantra is quickly dying.

01-11-11 10:30 AM
    i would guess there are actually better and even a bigger selection of good business apps on iphone and android. there is more CHOICE which is one thing that the BB doesnt have much of at all
    Jaguarr40 and Chrisy like this.
    01-11-11 10:43 AM

I'll second that. We have tried both in the office. BB phones simply worked better for us. It was much easier for the non-techie types to use.
    01-11-11 10:47 AM
    Anyone who keeps saying that there are no useful apps for iphone and/or android obviously have never really looked at those app offerings. While there are tons of useless apps, there are also tons of useful apps.

01-11-11 10:47 AM
    So not true. My stepdad has a business and uses the iPhone for it. He gets emails, uses documents and has photos of his work in files on his iPhone. He does his billing on his iPhone. The "BlackBerry is the only phone for business" mantra is quickly dying.

I completely agree with Chrisy.

The way we communicate in both our professional and personal lives today is a lot different than just a few years ago. In the "old" days", phone calls, emails, and face-to-face conferencing were and to some degree-still are the standard way to conduct business. However, tools like Social networking (Facebook, Linked In), IMing, video conferencing, Twitter, SMS, and other collaboration tools are quickly replacing the former. Unfortunately BB doesn't excel in the new communication "tools", RIM is too content on being the "Email King". That's where the iPhone and Droid are excelling and RIM is getting left in the dust.

RIM is really playing it too safe when other manufacturers are being more aggressive in both OS and hardware design. So as long as RIM wants to be content on being the "Email King" and nothing else, we'll watch as their marketshare continue to get smaller and smaller.
    01-11-11 11:09 AM
    The email king still truncates email. They won't hold the title for email king much longer.

01-11-11 11:28 AM
    The email king still truncates email. They won't hold the title for email king much longer.

truncated emails is definitely a pisser.
    01-11-11 11:30 AM
    truncated emails is definitely a pisser.
    And how awesome is it when BIS goes down? No email, no data, nada.

01-11-11 11:44 AM

Hello, ever heard of LogicMail app? No bis needed, no truncation, just no push.

01-11-11 11:59 AM

What? An app you say? But I thought BB was famed for doing things other phones can't right out of the box?? Hmm? I will have to look into one of those app thingys.

howarmat likes this.
    01-11-11 12:08 PM
    What? An app you say? But I thought BB was famed for doing things other phones can't right out of the box?? Hmm? I will have to look into one of those app thingys.

Logicmail has been around before "apps" probably before iphone came out but I could be wrong.

01-11-11 12:18 PM
    The "BlackBerry is the only phone for business" mantra is quickly dying.
    Well said!
    01-11-11 12:26 PM

Defeats the purpose of getting a device that is praised for it's superb email capability don't you think? While were at it, why don't we just do away with BIS altogether?
    Last edited by JD914; 01-11-11 at 12:34 PM.
    01-11-11 12:30 PM

But the biggest selling point for BlackBerry is the email, BIS/BES. Not apps. When I was in training to sell RIM (VZW) that was THE top talking point. That RIM was the hardware and software provider. That was supposed to make it smoother and faster.

My parents iPhone gets emails quickly. I haven't played with a Android yet but I'm reading that gmail is instant.

01-11-11 12:31 PM

Without any specific reasons to back up that comment, I would say you have never owned an Android device.
    01-11-11 12:33 PM

touch wood in over 3 years iv only ever had one BIS outage, and i was at home on wifi so it wasnt a problem anyways.

yes it does happen (although seems more US based), but its not exactly a weekly occurence is it
    01-11-11 12:34 PM
    Agreed. I've been reading "BlackBerry is the best for business and serious users. Other phones are toys." But when asked what the BlackBerry can do that an Android can't, you don't get a specific answer.

01-11-11 12:34 PM
    touch wood in over 3 years iv only ever had one BIS outage, and i was at home on wifi so it wasnt a problem anyways.

yes it does happen (although seems more US based), but its not exactly a weekly occurence is it
    You must have missed BIS Outage of 2010 then. BBM went down, BIS. There was a flood of threads on here for that week! Users who depended on their BlackBerry were mad. Those of us that don't have a computer were stuck. It was really quiet. Ha

01-11-11 12:35 PM
    I haven't played with a Android yet but I'm reading that gmail is instant.

It's just as instant as any Blackberry, push email pretty much has been mastered on every platform and is no longer Blackberry's one trick pony.
    01-11-11 12:35 PM
470 ... 1516171819
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD