Yeah -- I thought so (it's well known that .99 apps are okay in Appworld now).

AND -- as a fanboy, I humbly admit that the 2.99 min imposed by RIM was an error. Who says these companies don't error?? LOL. At least RIM has functioning alarms clocks and antennae and such...

NOW what we need is more fart sounds, beer glass and light saber apps. THAT will make RIM a LEADER! hehe...

Okay -- i really do wish I had Angry Birds...but again, in RIM's defense, Number Cruncher has completely taken over my life anyways. It's addictive -- Anyone want to start a thread as to what makes a game a high-quality experience?
    How about this? Any game that can occupy much of my flight time from CA to FL and back. (that being Angry Birds, on my Touch--my BB is, as you know, shut out of the AB experience. )
    01-09-11 07:05 PM
    haha -- for me, it's Number Cruncher. I can waste my entire life on that one likely.

High score challenge anyone?
    01-09-11 07:08 PM
    But what actually IS RIM's structure? I don't understand, in comparison to the iTunes App Store (I had an iPod Touch so I drew on that as an example). I for one couldn't see a difference in structure. I read that it costs like �100 a month for every 5 apps you have in BlackBerry App World though. (so effectively �20/app/mth)
    na lemme break it down for ya

currently appworld is FREE to become a vendor (notary id may cost ya depending where ya are though)
    currently submitting apps to appworld when an approved vendor is FREE

this free situation was annoucned at devcon, but they said `for a limited time` so who knows how long that`ll be and what it may change to.

previously when it dis cost, the inital setup fee (on top of notary id) was $200. this included 10 credits.
    submitting an app used up one credit (dont forget ya got 10 when ya signed up tho) so effectively it was $20 to submit an app. thats a one off payment though. not monthly like you thought.
    also updating an app used up one credit, so again $20.

once ya first 10 credits ran outa ya can buy more, buying 10 worked out at $200 so $20 each, buy less and it cost a touch more.

i`ll happily admit alot of ppl dont know/care about that side of things unless ur a dev, and thats perfectly fine.

@howarmat
    RIM use a tiered pricing structure, now starting from $0.99 (theres obv free there too) and they arent the only people to do this, mobihand (crackberry store) now also run the same tiered system too.
    im guessing $0.99 is prob the min for a paid app due to some surcharge cost or something, i know all shops in the uk wont take a debit/credit card for anything under �6 due to the processing costs, so it could be tied into that? or just its one buck so its a nice rounded (okay yeh 99 cents but ya know what i mean) figure for people to use
    01-09-11 07:43 PM
    right mobihand/CB store have a 99 cent min to and always have since i had my BBs. This is why i would always look for apps there first. **** i never had crapworld install since it was always laggy. everything i needed was always elsewhere too. and they also keep a good portion of the sales but they dont have a monthly/yearly fee that i know of. nor the credits. they just take like 40% of each sale.

Either way the for a dev its costs money to make the apps for BB that you almost have to see some good returns to make it worthwhile. iphone/android have an add based system which i hated at first but now think it great. apple/google get paid while not costing the dev a ton of money either. its a win/win for everyone for the most part.

I had forgotten about the 200 sign up cost for appworld since they waived it for quite a while now. hopefully they just do away with it. I am sure than would get more people developing for RIMs platforms. maybe they can adopt the mobihand way of business too. Also they need to do away with the 2 weeks or whatever to get approved into appworld. If someone submits to mobihand its instant access pretty much i think, no wait.
    Last edited by howarmat; 01-09-11 at 07:52 PM.
    01-09-11 07:50 PM
    right mobihand/CB store have a 99 cent min too. and they also keep a good portion of the sales but they dont have a monthly/yearly fee that i know of. nor the credits. they just take like 40% of each sale.

Either way the for a dev its costs money to make the apps for BB that you almost have to see some good returns to make it worthwhile. iphone/android have an add based system which i hated at first but now think it great. apple/google get paid while not costing the dev a ton of money either. its a win/win for everyone for the most part.

I had forgotten about the 200 sign up cost for appworld since they waived it for quite a while now. hopefully they just do away with it. I am sure than would get more people developing for RIMs platforms. maybe they can adopt the mobihand way of business too
    yea but your saying monthly/yearly fee, yet there isnt one, purely the cost of the `credit` as such. i believe (although this may have been a long time ago) that apple charged $180 signup, but i could be wrong.

mobihand takes 20% if its thru their site and 40% if thru another site (cb for example) as some of that naturally goes to the site hosting the store.

im hoping they ditch the credit system, and just make it free, because i think like you say it`ll attrack more devs. maybe keep the $200 inital fee there if they need to, i know id rather pay $200 then ultd uploads rather than free then $20 per upload.
    Last edited by BBThemes; 01-09-11 at 08:05 PM.
    01-09-11 07:57 PM
    monthly/yearly was bad terminology, i meant credit like system or something that you would have to keep paying to allow your apps to be submitted
    01-09-11 08:07 PM
    monthly/yearly was bad terminology, i meant credit like system or something that you would have to keep paying to allow your apps to be submitted
    true, however if you have an app on mobihand that does $200 gross thru `partner stores` (which most sales are cos of ppl here on cb)
    and if you pay $20 for that same app to go on appworld and you gross $200 on that.
    you make the same net ammount of money. if you pass the $200 threshold on 40/60 split thru mobihand/crackberry, then your actually out of pocket compared to appworld.

so if you have a good selling app then its actually more profitable to pay the $20 on appworld than it is for the free way through mobihand/crackberry.

although of course the credit system in appworld should stay gone lol
    01-09-11 08:13 PM
    haha -- for me, it's Number Cruncher. I can waste my entire life on that one likely.

High score challenge anyone?
    Scrabble is my big vice. that, along with Words for Friends. I used to have about 50+ games running concurrently, but I've reformed a bit. I try not to have more than about 30-35 or so games going.
    01-09-11 08:14 PM
    na lemme break it down for ya

currently appworld is FREE to become a vendor (notary id may cost ya depending where ya are though)
    currently submitting apps to appworld when an approved vendor is FREE

this free situation was annoucned at devcon, but they said `for a limited time` so who knows how long that`ll be and what it may change to.

previously when it dis cost, the inital setup fee (on top of notary id) was $200. this included 10 credits.
    submitting an app used up one credit (dont forget ya got 10 when ya signed up tho) so effectively it was $20 to submit an app. thats a one off payment though. not monthly like you thought.
    also updating an app used up one credit, so again $20.

once ya first 10 credits ran outa ya can buy more, buying 10 worked out at $200 so $20 each, buy less and it cost a touch more.

i`ll happily admit alot of ppl dont know/care about that side of things unless ur a dev, and thats perfectly fine.

@howarmat
    RIM use a tiered pricing structure, now starting from $0.99 (theres obv free there too) and they arent the only people to do this, mobihand (crackberry store) now also run the same tiered system too.
    im guessing $0.99 is prob the min for a paid app due to some surcharge cost or something, i know all shops in the uk wont take a debit/credit card for anything under �6 due to the processing costs, so it could be tied into that? or just its one buck so its a nice rounded (okay yeh 99 cents but ya know what i mean) figure for people to use
    For a limited time = Forever. RIM is basically begging developers to give the BlackBerry some attention since the App World is a mess of 1 star rated apps and pointless things that don't even work.
    01-10-11 05:33 PM
    Android sucks from a professional standpoint. Its a mickey mouse operating system designed for fart apps and youtube. The people that I know who need it for business/practical needs always come back to blackberry. The ones that stay with Android just want the next toy. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.
    01-10-11 06:17 PM
    Android sucks from a professional standpoint. Its a mickey mouse operating system designed for fart apps and youtube. The people that I know who need it for business/practical needs always come back to blackberry. The ones that stay with Android just want the next toy. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.
    That might have been previously true... But have you looked at App World lately? The top 25 apps are just a bunch of Facebook chat apps. App World is a joke now.
    01-10-11 06:25 PM
    Android sucks from a professional standpoint. Its a mickey mouse operating system designed for fart apps and youtube.
    Yes, that is exactly what Linux was designed for.

The ignorance on this forum never fails to amaze me.
    01-10-11 06:27 PM
    For a limited time = Forever. RIM is basically begging developers to give the BlackBerry some attention since the App World is a mess of 1 star rated apps and pointless things that don't even work.
    lets say your right and the apps dont work, is that RIM`s fault or the developers? harsh but true.

also sometimes people rate things down because they dont understand. and i`ll give a great example.
    a theme dev put up a trial theme, it has a TRIAL watermark on the homescreen, and naturally in the screenshots too, and basically the decription was `this is a trial of..... to remove the watermark download the full version at xxx address`

one reviewer gave it 2 stars and said it`d be great but the TRIAL mark is fixed there, hopefully an update will solve this.

so thats not exactly deserving of a 2star review, but because the person either didnt read the description, didnt get it, or for whatever reason, they gave it that.
    Last edited by BBThemes; 01-10-11 at 06:33 PM.
    01-10-11 06:29 PM
    lets say your right and the apps dont work, is that RIM`s fault or the developers? harsh but true.
    Both. RIM's fault for not making an appealing OS to developers and the developers fault for not spending as much time as they did on the Android/iPhone version of the app.
    01-10-11 06:30 PM
    Yes, that is exactly what Linux was designed for.

The ignorance on this forum never fails to amaze me.
    No that isn't what linux was designed for.
    01-10-11 06:31 PM
    No that isn't what linux was designed for.
    I know, hence the sarcastic smiley.
    01-10-11 06:33 PM
    Damnit, I missed the smiley.
    01-10-11 06:35 PM
    Damnit, I missed the smiley.
    lol I figured that.
    01-10-11 06:36 PM
    Both. RIM's fault for not making an appealing OS to developers and the developers fault for not spending as much time as they did on the Android/iPhone version of the app.
    sorry but no, its the devs fault. if they test it and it doesnt work, and they then release it then how the heck is that RIM`s fault?

while you could argue maybe its RIM`s fault it doesnt work, you cant argue that the dev put it out there off their own back. and thats the same for any app in any store. if it doesnt work, and ya know it doesnt work, and ya still release it then thats your fault not RIM`s
    01-10-11 06:36 PM
    sorry but no, its the devs fault. if they test it and it doesnt work, and they then release it then how the heck is that RIM`s fault?

while you could argue maybe its RIM`s fault it doesnt work, you cant argue that the dev put it out there off their own back. and thats the same for any app in any store. if it doesnt work, and ya know it doesnt work, and ya still release it then thats your fault not RIM`s
    one instance that is RIMs fault is they broke openGL in the last 250+ builds of the storm 2 OS. So some apps/games now are total crap and the devs cant fix them. This is stupid and RIM doesnt seem to care to fix it
    01-10-11 06:42 PM

BlackBerry apps just aren't appealing enough to make. When making a BlackBerry app it has to be adapted to all different screen sizes, resolutions, and trackpad usability as for when you make an iPhone app you have a standard size. I've been to your site so I know that you would know all about having to make themes specific for all different screen sizes and resolutions.
    01-10-11 06:42 PM
    BlackBerry apps just aren't appealing enough to make. When making a BlackBerry app it has to be adapted to all different screen sizes, resolutions, and trackpad usability as for when you make an iPhone app you have a standard size. I've been to your site so I know that you would know all about having to make themes specific for all different screen sizes and resolutions.
    true it has to be adapted, but then so does the iphone/ipad setup, also how many screen sizes does android have? some things which are based purely on the screen size are a nightmare for developers nomatter which platform its for. releasing an app that from the get go (howarmat i have no knowledge of what you mention but of course will defer to your judgement on that) doesnt work is just stupid.
    01-10-11 06:51 PM
    true it has to be adapted, but then so does the iphone/ipad setup, also how many screen sizes does android have? some things which are based purely on the screen size are a nightmare for developers nomatter which platform its for. releasing an app that from the get go (howarmat i have no knowledge of what you mention but of course will defer to your judgement on that) doesnt work is just stupid.
    My point is just that the App World is a mess and these "Super apps" that RIM has been advertising have iPhone/Android counterparts that work much better. Even apps developed by RIM seem half-assed. Their IM clients look dated and Facebook still doesn't work like it should.
    01-10-11 07:00 PM
    Okay-so I'm in pain from my knees which led to a few beers, but I have to say I am sick of hearing people complain about RIM and OS 6! I use a Blackberry because it does for me everything that I need it to! The last time I looked, this was a BLACKBERRY website. If you don't like it, leave! Move on! Those of us that are Blackberry diehards will take care of the rest.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

01-10-11 07:16 PM
    Okay-so I'm in pain from my knees which led to a few beers, but I have to say I am sick of hearing people complain about RIM and OS 6! I use a Blackberry because it does for me everything that I need it to! The last time I looked, this was a BLACKBERRY website. If you don't like it, leave! Move on! Those of us that are Blackberry diehards will take care of the rest.

that suits me fine. I just wish I knew WHEN the Bionic is going to be released. When I get one (or a similar large screen Android 4G phone) I won't be a fanboi of it either--I'll use it just until the next great thing comes along. I'm not marrying a freakin' phone--I'm using it to communicate and go online, etc. I have no loyalty to a slab of glass/plastic/metal. None at all.
    Last edited by dave1812; 01-10-11 at 09:46 PM.
    01-10-11 09:44 PM
470 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD