same old posts on this site.. yawn
    you have a valid point, Mike.
    miketko likes this.
    01-09-11 11:27 AM
    ah. I find it presumptuous of anyone who infers from a current lack of announcements, that RIM has "no intention" of releasing new phones. Having said that, I'm not heartened by ML's comments in recent months about how battery life will suffer if he uses the current dual core chips, yada yada. he isn't very inspiring, to say the least!! "inspiring" isn't the word I want--he isn't encouraging.
    I totally agree with you, but at the same time he said touch screens were ridiculous before caving (albeit with a sub-par device at first). I think the creation of the PlayBook is a promising first step in that it shows RIM is, at least in some way, recognizing that trends are worth capitalizing on.
    01-09-11 11:49 AM
    Maybe, but many people, including myself can't upgrade for a long time anyway, september in my case so I couldn't care less about a new blackberry. Most people get a contract for 2 years, bold 9700 came out just over a year ago, and since then 9780 and Torch came out after that.
    So if Rim launches a new phone now, not many people will be able to upgrade to it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    you are right most people sign 2 year contracts, 2 years and 45 days ago give or take, RIM release the storm 1 on VZW. if those people havent already moved on to a new device, they sure as **** want to now im sure. Guess what the nations biggest carrier has NOTHING good from RIM that is worth buying on another 2 year contract. None of those phones you mention are on VZW and make any difference at all.

To use your own argument against you, when was the last year BlackBerry released fewer than 2 different devices? Like Apple, RIM shouldn't have to announce new devices for people to know that something will come out.
    Right we get 2 or more crappy refreshes a year, wahoo

Rumor is VZW is getting some RIM love in, get this more refeshes soon that they will charge $199 for while sitting next to pretty iphones and droid devices. Who knows what true as this have been the rumor for many months now anyway. Its a slap in the face to consumers to try and sell a RIM refresh on 2 year old hardware for the same price as the other phones IMO. I would rather RIM scrap the refreshes and just wait til they have something worthwhile with QNX.
    K Bear likes this.
    01-09-11 12:07 PM
    ML is an engineer's engineer. But he's starting to get it (or at least, he's appearing to get it to those who think otherwise -- I think he's always understood). And 2011 will have, by far, the most exciting lineup of devices announcements yet. As I said earlier, I wish at least ONE of the new devices was announced All of the currently perceived technical shortcomings, will be addressed in 2011. Of course, given that devices are wholly unattractive to the nerds among us within 6 months of their release, and within a few months after that, the whining for new stuff begins anew, addressing of technical shortcomings is not the critical point. The rest of the world will be elbowing each other out of the way to buy BBs as they have been til now at an accelerating rate. It's dangerous to frame things only as a high-end arms race for RIM (or any company, imho).

On the tech-edge front:
    What I see Mike L. doing is recognizing that the technology is starting to catch up with his vision of a wirelessly connected world, and that it's starting to get to the point where the technology really needs to be powerful. There are lots of examples of this, but the easy one for me is the whole flash-fight (which Google understands). A tablet MUST support flash to allow for an un-neutered web experience, but the tech (as proven by Apple) just wasn't there even a year ago. Battery life, uproc efficiency, Flash evolution, etc. needed to happen to make it viable. And here we are. RIM has worked hard to bring it to this point, and has MANY parallel development projects that are currently aimed at leveraging this stuff. PB is the first foray into the next generation of mobile. There's a myriad of new hardware right on it's heels.
    pkcable and mover23 like this.
    01-09-11 12:09 PM
    Right we get 2 or more crappy refreshes a year, wahoo

Rumor is VZW is getting some RIM love in, get this more refeshes soon that they will charge $199 for while sitting next to pretty iphones and droid devices. Who knows what true as this have been the rumor for many months now anyway. Its a slap in the face to consumers to try and sell a RIM refresh on 2 year old hardware for the same price as the other phones IMO. I would rather RIM scrap the refreshes and just wait til they have something worthwhile with QNX.
    Agreed. I make most of my points from the perspective of someone who is on a carrier that supports the newest BlackBerry devices. It is entirely possible that my overall outlook would be fairly different were I faced with some of the BB limitations VZW has.
    01-09-11 12:24 PM
    ML is an engineer's engineer. But he's starting to get it (or at least, he's appearing to get it to those who think otherwise -- I think he's always understood). And 2011 will have, by far, the most exciting lineup of devices announcements yet. As I said earlier, I wish at least ONE of the new devices was announced All of the currently perceived technical shortcomings, will be addressed in 2011. Of course, given that devices are wholly unattractive to the nerds among us within 6 months of their release, and within a few months after that, the whining for new stuff begins anew, addressing of technical shortcomings is not the critical point. The rest of the world will be elbowing each other out of the way to buy BBs as they have been til now at an accelerating rate. It's dangerous to frame things only as a high-end arms race for RIM (or any company, imho).

On the tech-edge front:
    What I see Mike L. doing is recognizing that the technology is starting to catch up with his vision of a wirelessly connected world, and that it's starting to get to the point where the technology really needs to be powerful. There are lots of examples of this, but the easy one for me is the whole flash-fight (which Google understands). A tablet MUST support flash to allow for an un-neutered web experience, but the tech (as proven by Apple) just wasn't there even a year ago. Battery life, uproc efficiency, Flash evolution, etc. needed to happen to make it viable. And here we are. RIM has worked hard to bring it to this point, and has MANY parallel development projects that are currently aimed at leveraging this stuff. PB is the first foray into the next generation of mobile. There's a myriad of new hardware right on it's heels.
    Though I don't know if I fully believe all of that yet, I really do hope you're right.
    01-09-11 12:28 PM
    To use your own argument against you, when was the last year BlackBerry released fewer than 2 different devices? Like Apple, RIM shouldn't have to announce new devices for people to know that something will come out.
    At least Apple makes changes here and there to their devices to improve them.

9650 = recycled 9630. Most of RIM's releases in the past year or two have been refreshes. Nothing new, nothing different, nothing exciting.
    01-09-11 12:35 PM
    At least Apple makes changes here and there to their devices to improve them.

9650 = recycled 9630. Most of RIM's releases in the past year or two have been refreshes. Nothing new, nothing different, nothing exciting.
    You have to admit, Apple is notorious for re-releasing devices with minor improvements as well. They'll even go so far as to refrain from using technology they possess just so they can use it in a later refresh. For example, early builds of the iPad included a camera, but why include it on a device that will sell well without when they could use it as a major selling point for the device's refresh?
    01-09-11 12:41 PM
    Apple wrote the book on recycling and minor upgrades. 3G to 3G(s) anyone?

01-09-11 01:45 PM
    Apple wrote the book on recycling and minor upgrades. 3G to 3G(s) anyone?

9530 to 9550 to 9570?
    9630 to 9650
    9700 to 9780
    9300 to 9330

I think it was RIM who authored that book.
    01-09-11 01:54 PM
    9530 to 9550 to 9570?
    9630 to 9650
    9700 to 9780
    9300 to 9330

Actually Apple did it first. Rim did it too but they brought new models out too, Torch, Style. Pearl 3G was a significant upgrade over the 8100 too.

01-09-11 01:59 PM
    9300 to 9330

while the others are refreshes (i believe you`ll find the auto industry wrote that book a long time ago) the 9300 is a GSM variant of the 9330 which is a CDMA phone. they are both in effect the same phone with a different radio, and were both announced at the same time.
    01-09-11 02:01 PM
    Motorola Xoom tablet crowned best CES gadget - Yahoo! News

PB didn't even get an honorable mention, what does that say.
    I noticed that. It seems RIM was so adamant about releasing that PlayBook, but with the upcoming release of Android 3.0 no one cares. Between the iPad and the stacks of Android tablets I can't see the PlayBook making very many sales. It's not the lack of new features that's killing RIM, it's the hesitation of developers to make apps. The number of decent BlackBerry apps can easily fit on one hand.
    01-09-11 02:03 PM
    i agree that apple has done this in the past, but they have a much better base to build on than anything RIM is offering right now
    01-09-11 02:05 PM
    You have to admit, Apple is notorious for re-releasing devices with minor improvements as well. They'll even go so far as to refrain from using technology they possess just so they can use it in a later refresh. For example, early builds of the iPad included a camera, but why include it on a device that will sell well without when they could use it as a major selling point for the device's refresh?
    RIM did even better than that with the Curve series. Give the original a flash, and then take it away in subsequent refreshes...
    01-09-11 02:06 PM
    RIM did even better than that with the Curve series. Give the original a flash, and then take it away in subsequent refreshes...
    Yet they continued to offer more than just one device. Personally I'd prefer a larger selection of phones (even if one of the line-up lacks features others include) over the limitations of only having one device.
    01-09-11 02:35 PM
    Yet they continued to offer more than just one device. Personally I'd prefer a larger selection of phones (even if one of the line-up lacks features others include) over the limitations of only having one device.
    I like choice, reliability, and freedom. That's why I will not buy another Apple product.
    01-09-11 02:40 PM
    There is a political component is that decision. Our government has taken the position that certain Companies are critical to Canada future.

Takeover bid have been rejected for several high profile companies including the company that created the Canada Arm for the International Space Station.

More recently, our large fertilizer manufacture was the target of a foreign acquisition. Our government decided that was not in our strategic interests and blocked the bid.

A takeover of Research in Motion would face the scrutiny and likely be refused.
    RIMM is a public company, traded in the US. The Canadian government could not block the sale in the manner suggested. They have no jurisdiction in the US.

01-09-11 02:43 PM
    RIMM is a public company, traded in the US. The Canadian government could not block the sale in the manner suggested. They have no jurisdiction in the US.

Actually, it is possible for the Canadian government to interfere in such matters and it has happened in the past. Just because it is a publicly traded company doesn't mean that it isn't Canadian owned an operated. Furthermore, RIM has received substantial loans and investments from the Canadian government when it was in its start-up phase before it really exploded.

EDIT: To specify, my understanding is that parts of RIM, such as subsidiaries could be sold to American companies, but the company as we know it today would be purchased by an American company one way or the other. However this is all, at the very best, wild speculation considering neither of the Co-CEOs would even briefly entertain the idea of selling.
    Last edited by lieman; 01-09-11 at 02:57 PM.
    01-09-11 02:48 PM
    How about NOT enabling the iPhone 3G to do video when it could easily do it when jailbroken. Want video? Buy a 3GS...

And for all the things that RIM is accused of playing "catchup" on with their phones, Android and iOS are still using RIMs ideas to refine their own OSes. Didn't iOS just get the ability to make folders?
    01-09-11 02:51 PM
    How about NOT enabling the iPhone 3G to do video when it could easily do it when jailbroken. Want video? Buy a 3GS...

And for all the things that RIM is accused of playing "catchup" on with their phones, Android and iOS are still using RIMs ideas to refine their own OSes. Didn't iOS just get the ability to make folders?
    If RIM were actually playing catch up.
    lieman and howarmat like this.
    01-09-11 02:55 PM

Careful, the PB's OS HEAVILY borrows from WebOS. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you didn't watch the many PB videos and think back to the OS that Palm created at the time of the Palm Pre.
    01-09-11 03:00 PM
    Careful, the PB's OS HEAVILY borrows from WebOS. If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you didn't watch the many PB videos and think back to the OS that Palm created at the time of the Palm Pre.
    Somebody invented the wheel once and everybody's using it now

01-09-11 03:06 PM
    Somebody invented the wheel once and everybody's using it now

someone put rubber on it...then someone put air inside the rubber.
    01-09-11 03:25 PM
    This has turned out to be a very good thread and the people I have commented to and everyone else has many valid and good points ofview. To throw another wrench in the mix you all might want to read this that just came out on the sister CB forum for iphones which I hate to say I am leaning heavy to since i am with VZW. Read this article and see what you all think.

iPhone: No longer exclusive, still locked | TiPb

Verizon iPhone to go on sale late Jan/early Feb | TiPb

It is going to be tough for everyone who has commented on here about switching to Android or iphone but I know there will be a great many who will.

Good luck and I loved every bit of the interactions in this thread.
    01-09-11 03:26 PM
470 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD