I for example i have 500mb a month, that's for �5, if i go over that I automatically get charged another �5 and get another 500mb, that's on Vodafone UK.
    I don't see why this wouldn't work.
    Anyway, even extra charges apply, it will still be way cheaper then starting a new contract.
    During my conversation the other day with someone in the UK it seemed that the issue wasn't the amount of data used, but the idea that streaming and tethering were prohibited activities on the cell network. That's what leads me to wonder whether the carriers would impose additional restrictions on tethering this thing or charging extra for doing it.
    01-09-11 08:04 AM
    During my conversation the other day with someone in the UK it seemed that the issue wasn't the amount of data used, but the idea that streaming and tethering were prohibited activities on the cell network. That's what leads me to wonder whether the carriers would impose additional restrictions on tethering this thing or charging extra for doing it.
    Yes but that doesn't apply to blackberrys really, it applies to streaming data intensive HD videos, normal web use, especially using blackberry compression doesn't count.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-11 08:37 AM
    Yes but that doesn't apply to blackberrys really, it applies to streaming data intensive HD videos, normal web use, especially using blackberry compression doesn't count.

Here they don't care what you tether to, you either have to pay their tethering fee or take your chances with software to bypass their tethering fee.
    01-09-11 08:41 AM
    Here they don't care what you tether to, you either have to pay their tethering fee or take your chances with software to bypass their tethering fee.
    I know, but for anything other then streaming video, you'll still be using your blackberry data plan, it will still use the bis connection as technically, your blackberry is pulling all the data, not the playbook.
    When tethered to a laptop using DM, the bis connection is interrupted and you're browsing on Wap the whole time.
    The only time the bis connection gets interrupted when browsing on a blackberry is when you play a youtube video, as soon as it's finished it reverts back to bis.

01-09-11 08:54 AM
    There is a political component is that decision. Our government has taken the position that certain Companies are critical to Canada future.

Takeover bid have been rejected for several high profile companies including the company that created the Canada Arm for the International Space Station.

More recently, our large fertilizer manufacture was the target of a foreign acquisition. Our government decided that was not in our strategic interests and blocked the bid.

A takeover of Research in Motion would face the scrutiny and likely be refused.
    Unless it implodes like Nortel did, Canada's previous largest tech company. The government tried to fight that one too. Now the biggest chunk of what was Nortel is now Avaya and American owned. I'm not implying this is going to happen to RIM, but just providing an example of where the government could do nothing to stop it.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    01-09-11 08:57 AM
    I know, but for anything other then streaming video, you'll still be using your blackberry data plan, it will still use the bis connection as technically, your blackberry is pulling all the data, not the playbook.
    When tethered to a laptop using DM, the bis connection is interrupted and you're browsing on Wap the whole time.
    The only time the bis connection gets interrupted when browsing on a blackberry is when you play a youtube video, as soon as it's finished it reverts back to bis.

All the data is going through the phone regardless. If the providers start seeing blackberry users generating tons more data (BIS/BES/WAP all traverse the providers network) then they probably will look for a way to get money out of you for it. May not happen day 1 of Playbook availability but could still happen. Just depends on how nice your provider is in the end.
    01-09-11 09:02 AM
    T-Mobile is already about to start upgrading their towers to 42mbps and IIRC they're going to go all the way up to 600+mbps in the future. There really isn't that big of an advantage.

Also, HSPA+ devices need HSPA+ radios to get to those speeds. If the phones aren't getting released, the devices will still be speed-capped by hardware.

That's why a Vibrant has a 7.2 mbps 3g radio, while a G2 has a 14.4 mbps hspa+ radio in it...

If you guys get HSPA+ devices, they will be launched around the same time on the US networks with HSPA+ technology. It makes no sense to release them in a smaller market (Canada) while keeping the larger market that cares even more about the faster data speeds waiting. Actually, it's pretty dumb - in corporate terms.

I wouldn't say they get a more comprehensive lineup. Nothing is stopping anyone here from getting an unlocked phone, and most manufacturers release almost the same phone across different carriers, anyways (Palm Pres, Blackberries minus Torch/Storm [Style isn't anything special]), Galaxy S, etc.). Apart from a few exclusives people aren't missing much.
    We already have the 42Mbps network you say T-Mobile is getting in the future, and we have the same plans for upgrading to 4G speeds after that. Also, from a market perspective it makes plenty of sense for such technology to be 'tested', if you will, in a smaller market than the US.
    I'll agree with you, I'm probably reaching a little bit in saying our carriers generally offer a more comprehensive line-up than their Southern counterparts, but that aside, our network technology does - at the very least - match those American carriers for the most part.

01-09-11 09:02 AM

Regardless where the data comes from/ends up, it still passes to and from the device via the carrier's equipment.

I'm just saying. They charge to tether my laptop and did whether I had my BB or my Android. Regardless of how much data I normally use on the handset or the laptop, and even months I didn't use any data on the tethered device(s). Playbook uses data too. They'll sniff this out as another way to increase their profits.
    01-09-11 09:41 AM
    Unless it implodes like Nortel did, Canada's previous largest tech company. The government tried to fight that one too. Now the biggest chunk of what was Nortel is now Avaya and American owned. I'm not implying this is going to happen to RIM, but just providing an example of where the government could do nothing to stop it.
    Yes, Nortel was a big Canadian company that went under, but RIM exceeded Nortel in size a long time ago. The chances of an American company owning RIM are about as the chances of an American company owning Nokia.
    01-09-11 10:17 AM
    Read the OP's post history. He openly admits he comes here to troll. Like most trolls, all mouth and no trousers..
    Just because he is trolling, does not mean he has 0 facts....some would call it being a devil's advocate.

I too am seriously looking to Android. I am on AT&T and they are getting one dozen Android devices this year, with not one word about a new BB. My wife just upgraded to the Torch. The Torch is fabulously mediocre in comparison to a Moto Droid (runnng Froyo) that I get to play with. I love BB and BESX on my Exchange server, but the Droid and my office mates with iPhones all get exchange updates as fast or faster than my BB. They may not be as secure, but I trust that is being worked on and will catch up soon enough.

I run a Bold 9000 with the latest AT&T released OS. I still get the no sound for notifications issue, run low on RAM every couple of days thus necessitating a battery pull(and I only have a few apps on the BB, no social feeds). The Droid does the same things as my BB and is connected to the Exchange server and never has issues.

I want a new BB in February when my contract is up for renewal with AT&T, yet there is nothing in the BB lineup that matches the B9000. I want a larger device with real keyboard. The Motorola Droid Pro looks like what I want RIM to do with a "new" Bold 9000 replacement, yet it seems RIM will not be making larger phones any time soon.

As others have said, I don't need bleeding edge anything from RIM, but I would like a Bold 9000 sized device, or even a bit larger with real non-sliding keyboard, OS6, plenty of usable RAM, and a touch screen. Is that really too much to ask? Maybe it is, but when the hardware people are making dual core phones, using huge screens and moving back to a larger device size to accommodate those huge screens, it just seems RIM is in an odd place. RIM, IMHO, is answering a question the majority of users have not asked.

As for pads, I have no use for one due to the way I work, no worries. The iPad is a killer for my office as AutoDesk is releasing a free app for the iPad to open real AutoCAD .dwg files and redline them. We are a civil engineering firm and .dwgs are our lifeblood. The field engineers can go onsite and redline or note up plans during construction so that the cadd guys can keep the as-built drawings up to date. That is no gadget, that is a pure productivity tool for my office. Totally worth the coin.

Personally, I am bummed with RIM, they seem to be moving away from my desires in a device. But that is okay, however they should not be surprised if I leave them for a device that does what I want and need.
    01-09-11 10:19 AM
    Just to all those people slamming RIM for not announcing any new BlackBerrys this year, you may want to pump the brakes and consider the following: has Apple announced its successor to the iPhone 4? Of course not. Does that make people any less interested in their devices? Absolutely not. There's no need to rule out BlackBerry just because they're being seemingly more secretive about developments this year than in previous years. Like Apple, RIM makes phones, and there will be new ones out this year.
    01-09-11 10:26 AM
    Why would they put a memory card slot in it? As other have suggested about the cloud. If it's in the cloud then the carriers can charge you for more data because every time you want to access it you have to download it again from the cloud.
    [personal opinion]

Maybe it is part of RIM's desire for security. Without expansion, it is not so easy to get data out of the office for nefarious reasons. Or to prevent something bad getting on the corporate network....Just a way to keep one more layer of safety on the network.

[/personal opinion]
    01-09-11 10:33 AM
    [personal opinion]

Maybe it is part of RIM's desire for security. Without expansion, it is not so easy to get data out of the office for nefarious reasons. Or to prevent something bad getting on the corporate network....Just a way to keep one more layer of safety on the network.

[/personal opinion]
    That's what my guess was, a memory card on a blackberry can be controlled by BES, one on the playbook couldn't.

01-09-11 10:39 AM
    Just to all those people slamming RIM for not announcing any new BlackBerrys this year, you may want to pump the brakes and consider the following: has Apple announced its successor to the iPhone 4? Of course not. Does that make people any less interested in their devices? Absolutely not. There's no need to rule out BlackBerry just because they're being seemingly more secretive about developments this year than in previous years. Like Apple, RIM makes phones, and there will be new ones out this year.
    "this year" isn't good enough--there's an avalanche of new Androids and that's going to cause many (like myself, who aren't MARRIED to BB) to switch. If/when QNX is polished (or should I say TAT's UI), I may very well come back for another BB in the future. But NOW I've got to go with what I think will give me the best phone experience, and at the moment that seems to be Android. I don't consider that being fickle, because I never signed anything saying I'll stick with a particular brand.
    01-09-11 10:44 AM
    "this year" isn't good enough--there's an avalanche of new Androids and that's going to cause many (like myself, who aren't MARRIED to BB) to switch. If/when QNX is polished (or should I say TAT's UI), I may very well come back for another BB in the future. But NOW I've got to go with what I think will give me the best phone experience, and at the moment that seems to be Android. I don't consider that being fickle, because I never signed anything saying I'll stick with a particular brand.
    Maybe, but many people, including myself can't upgrade for a long time anyway, september in my case so I couldn't care less about a new blackberry. Most people get a contract for 2 years, bold 9700 came out just over a year ago, and since then 9780 and Torch came out after that.
    So if Rim launches a new phone now, not many people will be able to upgrade to it.

01-09-11 10:51 AM
    Apple doesn't need to announce the successor to the iPhone 4 for people to know it is simply going to happen based on history.

RIM's history has been full of incremental changes and refreshes, so without evidence and/or announcements of something new and significant releasing this year, the assumption will likely be that this year will be more of the same. Even if they do release more refreshes, big whoop now...
    01-09-11 10:55 AM
    They keyword there is "gadget", productive tablets, laptops, netbooks etc are not gadgets.
    "Gadget", they are all productive tablets and the word "gadget" is a term used for all of these devices. What constitutes the difference? This is a baited question, by the way.
    01-09-11 10:57 AM
    That's what my guess was, a memory card on a blackberry can be controlled by BES, one on the playbook couldn't.

What can BES do to limit the use of the memory card? Sure they can lock down mass storage, what else can they do? Can they browse the card remotely?
    01-09-11 10:58 AM
    Maybe, but many people, including myself can't upgrade for a long time anyway, september in my case so I couldn't care less about a new blackberry. Most people get a contract for 2 years, bold 9700 came out just over a year ago, and since then 9780 and Torch came out after that.
    So if Rim launches a new phone now, not many people will be able to upgrade to it.

LOL! that's a ludicrous statement! a fantasy. You are overemphasizing your own predicament with that comment. there are plenty of potential customers, but with RIM being late to the party, they will be leaving a vast amount of money on the table. As a consumer, it's not my desire to support a product or company that fails to meet my needs.
    01-09-11 11:00 AM
    Apple doesn't need to announce the successor to the iPhone 4 for people to know it is simply going to happen based on history.

RIM's history has been full of incremental changes and refreshes, so without evidence and/or announcements of something new and significant releasing this year, the assumption will likely be that this year will be more of the same. Even if they do release more refreshes, big whoop now...
    To use your own argument against you, when was the last year BlackBerry released fewer than 2 different devices? Like Apple, RIM shouldn't have to announce new devices for people to know that something will come out.
    01-09-11 11:08 AM
    [personal opinion]

[/personal opinion]
    This is another no-brainer that RIM just can't seem to grasp. Make one with a slot and one without, ala, with a camera and without.
    01-09-11 11:10 AM
    LOL! that's a ludicrous statement! a fantasy. You are overemphasizing your own predicament with that comment. there are plenty of potential customers, but with RIM being late to the party, they will be leaving a vast amount of money on the table. As a consumer, it's not my desire to support a product or company that fails to meet my needs.
    How is it ludicrous?
    If anybody got a 2 year contract on a bold 9700 when it first came out can they upgrade to a new blackberry right now without any fees? Answer is no. And that applies to Torch, 9780 and Storm 2 really.

01-09-11 11:15 AM
    Apologies for the misunderstanding of my post, but the point I was trying to make wasn't that RIM isn't dragging its feet a little with the release of its next phone, but rather to refute the numerous posts in this thread (and others) that claim RIM has no intention of releasing new devices simply because they are, as of yet, unannounced. Apple, RIM and Android will all release phones and I, like many other smartphone users (BlackBerry fans and detractors alike), will await RIM's next big release with bated breath because even though fans like myself aren't going anywhere, it's always nice to see your brand of choice perform well when stacked up against the competition.
    01-09-11 11:15 AM
    Apologies for the misunderstanding of my post, but the point I was trying to make wasn't that RIM isn't dragging its feet a little with the release of its next phone, but rather to refute the numerous posts in this thread (and others) that claim RIM has no intention of releasing new devices simply because they are, as of yet, unannounced. Apple, RIM and Android will all release phones and I, like many other smartphone users (BlackBerry fans and detractors alike), will await RIM's next big release with bated breath because even though fans like myself aren't going anywhere, it's always nice to see your brand of choice perform well when stacked up against the competition.
    ah. I find it presumptuous of anyone who infers from a current lack of announcements, that RIM has "no intention" of releasing new phones. Having said that, I'm not heartened by ML's comments in recent months about how battery life will suffer if he uses the current dual core chips, yada yada. he isn't very inspiring, to say the least!! "inspiring" isn't the word I want--he isn't encouraging.
    01-09-11 11:24 AM
    same old posts on this site.. yawn
    01-09-11 11:26 AM
470 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD