Nice I will be buying mine on release day. If you need any help when you get it let me know!
    I might take you up on that if I get one. It's always nice to hear from someone who's got a head start on me with a product I've just bought. I love tips!
    01-07-11 10:36 PM
    Wait, what? Enlighten me please, besides BB devices and BIS/BES services/software which relies on sales of BB devices to bring them any income, and now the as yet unreleased Playbook, what else do they have?
    Does QNX give away their OS when it is implemented in cars and other devices? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing that they license the OS for a fee.
    01-07-11 11:10 PM
    Does QNX give away their OS when it is implemented in cars and other devices? I'm guessing not. I'm guessing that they license the OS for a fee.

Ok, but just because RIM owns another company still doesn't mean RIM really has anything to fall back on themselves besides BB devices and BIS/BES and the so far unreleased Playbook.

Or maybe I'll say it would be foolish to use QNX to prop up a failing or failed smartphone venture if it came to that. I mean if RIM fails, wouldn't it be better to fold that company and let QNX do it's thing? What would be the point of keeping themselves running while hemmorhaging cashflow from QNX to keep them afloat temporarily? Not saying it will happen but I guess that's my thoughts on the matter...
    01-07-11 11:24 PM
    I somewhat agree, Rim has done nothing really special in its smart phone line up except for OS6 and the Torch. But i also know this, RIM owns something like 30% of the worlds market share. dont quote me on that number i may be wrong but the point is its big. There not going anywhere trust me.
    01-07-11 11:52 PM
    RIM has about 15% of worldwide market share. they are behind iOS, symban and Android
    01-07-11 11:58 PM
    I somewhat agree, Rim has done nothing really special in its smart phone line up except for OS6 and the Torch. But i also know this, RIM owns something like 30% of the worlds market share. dont quote me on that number i may be wrong but the point is its big. There not going anywhere trust me.
    That's what some people said about some of these large multinational banks and companies a few years back. "They aren't going anywhere, trust me."
    01-08-11 12:03 AM
    Indeed, There's much more to RIM then just Blackberry.
    Not really. According to RIM, 82% of their revenue is from device sales, 15% from services (I'm assuming BES/BIS), and 3% from software

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-11 01:01 AM
    They own about 31% of US marketshare, and dropping fast, it seems.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-08-11 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Misread quoted post at first.
    01-08-11 01:05 AM
    You're not getting anything from me.

That has nothing to do with what we discussed.

You're still wrong and maybe you should apologize for basically calling me a liar without looking for yourself and seeing that I quoted both M.L. and the Spec Sheet/Web Site exactly.

Being BES capable still cripples the device because it locks it into RIM's services. It's still useless to busineses who run with Exchange without BES on top of it.

Being BES capable means it will not require a BB smartphone to access you BES assets.

Without BES capabilities the device will not be able to be controlled by policies when NOT tethered, which would make it anything but secure. If the device is lost or stolen, the second it's out of range the tether will break - leaving everything on the device (which can include confidential documents and such) completely unregulated.

You people act like the only secure information is the stuff in BES. BES isn't a full enterprise stack like Exchange+SharePoint+OCS+etc.

The Playbook is BES-capable. Both RIM and Common Sense says so. If it wasn't, it would be dead-in-the-water for corporate use, and a waste of resources to develop.

Being able to tether a BB and get to the stuff on it is a very nice convenience feature, and it can allow people with BES for work and a personal blackberry to still enjoy the advantages of a large screen for their personal stuff. That is, if consumers actually use Blackberries (p.s. Sarcasm) and would buy this.

It's similar to how Microsoft had ActiveSync + Outlook Mobile in Windows Mobile for businesses and then released Windows Live for Windows Mobile for Push Hotmail/IM/Contacts for consumers. A business user wouldn't use WL4WM, but Consumers didn't use ActiveSync, either (back then - Hotmail has ActiveSync, now).

I think what this thread, and many others, display is just how bad RIM failed at marketting for this product. How can something be so close to release, yet so many people know so little about it. Most people don't like to wait for the purchase to find out if a device has basic features and/or functionalities.
    How about now, will I get my apology?:

Five Things BlackBerry Admins Need to Know About RIM's PlayBook Tablet PC CIO.com

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 01-08-11 at 02:59 AM.
    01-08-11 02:41 AM
    I hope the door doesn't hit me on the way out because a no-show of smartphones from BB pretty much seals the deal that I'm going with Android. I was hoping for something revolutionary from RIM in their smartphone lineup, but no.

RIM invested way too many resources into building this Playbook nonsense and pretty much neglected to strengthen their smartphone line-up. Pretty pathetic that RIM's only major release was the **-hum Torch in 2010. OS6 is just a bunch of fluff.....
    I'm agree, i think RIM neglected their smartphone line, and it's true that the only major release it's the Torch, the others releases were only redesign of existing phone like for the Curve 3G. Maybe it's the reason why there are lot of BB users switching for Andro�d devices, for Windows devices or for iPhone. For my part, i've an Android device and a Bold 9700 (i had the android before the BB). My android (HTC Hero) is faster than the Bold 9700 even with the OS 6. Sometimes i've to switch to the android for browsing internet cuz it's more easy and faster. I really thought to buy a Torch, but some android devices are more attractives in term of possibilities, and for that reason i don't know if i'll buy the Torch.

My predictions is that within 3 years RIM is going to be acquired by another company for use of their push email system (google perhaps?) and maybe BBM. I don't see RIM reversing their diminishing market shares with such questionable strategies.
    I'm not agree, i think RIM will survive, but will stay behind the others. RIM was first for a long time, but for a year now, they are falling.

Hope my english is clear, because it's not my native language.
    01-08-11 06:31 AM
    OK - to those who like to call me a RIM apologist, alert the media.....

I actually tend to agree in part with the OP. I was waiting to see what they would announce at CES. If they don't announce a new smartphone that can shoot off nuclear weapons at an unsuspecting neighbour and that can do and fold your laundry for you, they will lose the crowd who is waiting anxiously for bigger and better toys. I use the word "toys" in a generic manner, such as a car can be a toy to an enthusiast, or a new guitar can be a toy to my husband.
    If they don't announce something other than the PlayBook they will have made a serious tactical mistake.

Me? I will continue to use my Torch, will buy the 9780 in red when it comes out, will buy the PB if it has over 6 hours battery life, will buy the Dell Lightning if it *ever* comes out and will wait for the next crop of BBerries and for the iPhone 5.

But if they don't announce another phone, they will hurt themselves. They won't lose the corporate market and the business market but they will lose an increasingly significant group of new users.
    01-08-11 06:41 AM
    Personally, a playbook paired to a 9700 is the ideal combination and compromise and could do me for 2-3 years.

Sometimes having everything in one device is a pain in the arse, more a nuisance then help as you're forced to juggle too many features at the same time, and more and more features and apps make it even harder.
    The playbook can replace many things and let the blackberry do what it does best, I can see smartphones getting smaller if the tablet is succesful, why would anybody want to carry a 4inch phone and a 7inch tablet?

01-08-11 07:24 AM
    Personally, a playbook paired to a 9700 is the ideal combination and compromise and could do me for 2-3 years.

Sometimes having everything in one device is a pain in the arse, more a nuisance then help as you're forced to juggle too many features at the same time, and more and more features and apps make it even harder.
    The playbook can replace many things and let the blackberry do what it does best, I can see smartphones getting smaller if the tablet is succesful, why would anybody want to carry a 4inch phone and a 7inch tablet?

I agree with shrinking the phone if you're going to carry a tablet, they may as well just go with a feature phone flip device sized thing.

I think its more of a hassle to carry multiple devices to do the job of one for the most part.
    01-08-11 07:40 AM
    I was looking forward to a big reveal at CES but all that was shown was the playbook....I have a BB Tour 9630 refurb from Sprint and I just love it....Problem with all these new products coming out from other companies it seems to put us in a state of "gotta keep up with the next new thing" out there.....I would just love for RIM to come out with new phones and put this whole issue to rest but it seems that RIM has other plans. Yes no new phones from RIM really puts the pressure on the management team to keep their foreign sales up since US sales don't seem to be a priority. I realize that sales in other countries have keep RIM moving forward but I don't understand why they haven't kept their client base here in the US happy.....I don't think were asking for more than everyone else. Maybe they were caught offguard and are really behind the power curve and just don't want to admit it.....catching up is much harder than keeping up and that maybe what they are trying to do....I am still a BB fan but when do you jump ship for another platform.....My perception is that unless RIM has something really good in the development pipeline and is going to "wow" the consumer...the consumer market may be gone for quite a while.....companies that have RIM integrated into their systems cant just find another system without large costs associated with it....We all will have to wait and see.....
    01-08-11 07:45 AM
    I agree with shrinking the phone if you're going to carry a tablet, they may as well just go with a feature phone flip device sized thing.

I think its more of a hassle to carry multiple devices to do the job of one for the most part.
    Simple tasks like navigating, reading emails, bbms, taking or making calls are quite easy on a smartphones but try to do them all at the same time and it becomes a nightmare, imagine taking a call just when you're trying to navigate a difficult junction, or if on cdma, taking a long call and cutting the data needed for navigation, etc etc

01-08-11 07:50 AM
    Seems to me people think RIM have to do flashy shows like Apple do at WWDC and their music events. CES is for everyone and I would prefer for RIM to do their own release show, in a tasteful fashion. Bling and showing off isn't the "Blackberry way" as far as I'm concerned.
    01-08-11 09:27 AM
    I might take you up on that if I get one. It's always nice to hear from someone who's got a head start on me with a product I've just bought. I love tips!
    Haha yea. It is nice having a little jump start when you get a device. Makes the learning process that much easier.
    01-08-11 09:28 AM
    why would anybody want to carry a 4inch phone and a 7inch tablet?

Exactly why I have no need for a tablet. My device can do everything a tablet can do and the screen is big enough to get things done on it. I have no need to carry around 2 devices.
    haymond likes this.
    01-08-11 09:31 AM
    The torch is the only modern thing that has came out since I got my Storm 2 when it was released. There is no phone imaginable that could make me switch service to AT&T, so I am out of options for my upgrade.
    01-08-11 09:36 AM
    Exactly why I have no need for a tablet. My device can do everything a tablet can do and the screen is big enough to get things done on it. I have no need to carry around 2 devices.
    Yes it can, but not at the same time, in the real world you cant use one feature without another one to suffer, you cant, listen to music, take calls, read emails, navigate, browse, take photos all at the same time, you have to do it one by one, or maybe two at a push.
    01-08-11 09:47 AM
    Yes it can, but not at the same time, in the real world you cant use one feature without another one to suffer, you cant, listen to music, take calls, read emails, navigate, browse, take photos all at the same time, you have to do it one by one, or maybe two at a push.
    In the real word I'm not going to have a phone in one hand and a tablet in the other. I can have all of those running at the same time. I have no need to read an email and take a photo at the exact same time. I can however keep my camera app running while reading an email and then switch to the camera if I want to take a picture. Multitasking on one device is much easier than having two devices and trying to navigate through both. Streaming music can just stay in the background at all times. I don't even need an app to read emails. Widgets do work. Yes this will put a strain on the device, but when the Bionic comes out, this will all be done with ease and I'll still have enough power to run an MMO game (just an example) at the same time.

Tablets are great for people who really need the space. I would HATE to do what I just described on a BB. That is why I think the tablet market will be great for BB users.
    haymond likes this.
    01-08-11 09:54 AM
    I have a 9780 for work (7+yrs) and an Android 2.2 (Dell Streak) for personal use.

I love my 9780 for messenging, calendar, and contact management.

But, it feels SOOOO far behind on everything else. And... it will never have the depth of apps for it's OS on handhelds or Playbook. I really struggle to see them reversing the slide they are into.

I would not buy myself a Blackberry.

I posted in a separate thread that maybe they need to reinvent themselves and market for teenagers. That is a group clearly enamored with texting... something the Blackberry has no rival.
    01-08-11 11:23 AM
    RIM will continue to be successful internationally, just like Nokia. Loosing the US market is huge to any international company, but not an immediate reason a business will cease to exist. Long term though, loosing the US market will take its toll.
    01-08-11 11:52 AM
    Threads like this have been popping up like crazy recently from people who just want their posts to be read. Let's all be realistic, RIM is a big enough company that it isn't going to be bought up by Google any time even remotely soon, nor is it going to lose enough market share to become obsolete. If you prefer the features offered by another OS then that's great, no one will fault you for that (unless it's iOS), but there's no need for slamming, for example, the BB OS just because you prefer Android.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    01-08-11 01:28 PM
    RIM will be announcing the most interesting lineup of devices yet in 2011, surpassing even the small-minded bashers' expectations on this board.

Don't ask me how I know (and yes, I DO know) because I wont tell you.
    01-08-11 02:08 PM
470 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD