Aha, but don't you think now that the playbook is real and it does integrate with a blackberry will android and iphone users demand the same integration from their tablets? I bet it will be on offer pretty soon.

Now just because some features are not included "in the box" it doesn't mean they will not be available in the form of an app. How hard will it be to make them?

Perfect example, the logicmail email app for blackberry, emails without bis or bes. They'll pro ably port it to playbook. It's not the end of the world.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    android and ios already sync with the phones. and wtf? playbook is "real". You mean people can actually hold it and turn it on it's side so it does "portrait"? It's ALIVE!
    01-07-11 11:01 AM
    Why would they put a memory card slot in it? As other have suggested about the cloud. If it's in the cloud then the carriers can charge you for more data because every time you want to access it you have to download it again from the cloud.
    Yet no one is ******** as much about this as they were when they found out the iPad didn't have an SDcard.
    01-07-11 11:02 AM
    Why? All you need is a Gmail account and everything syncs automatically (email, calendar, contacts, pictures for Android at least). I can already wireless tether my device to a tablet, PC, gaming console, other smartphones, etc.. and allow up to 8 devices to feed off my smartphones data connection. For free.

Oh I know people will make them. I just find it funny that RIM is basically saying f u if you don't own a BB and making developers provide you with something that should be stock for EVERYONE. BB users bitched about the iPhone not having multitasking, yet there was an app that allowed this. Now the PB doesn't have stock email integration for anyone but BB users and no one thinks anything of it. They say download an app or use webmail. I find that funny. When people said "go download the multitasking app" they said it should be stock.

Exactly. It isn't the end of the world, I just find it funny how RIM is making NON BB users do more work to get their emails (not that downloading an app is a lot of work, it is just the principle behind it).
    Well, I'm afraid it's simply business, why sell somebody a playbook when you can sell them a playbook, blackberry and a 2 year data plan, don't look so surprised, they don't make products out of the goodness of their hearts.
    You want it, you buy it

01-07-11 11:03 AM
    Well, I'm afraid it's simply business, why sell somebody a playbook when you can sell them a playbook, blackberry and a 2 year data plan, don't look so surprised, they don't make products out of the goodness of their hearts.
    You want it, you buy it

I understand this. They are in it for money. I just think they will make more money if they cater to EVERYONE and not try to make people buy one of their other device. We will see what happens. The PB looks like a great device.
    01-07-11 11:05 AM
    I understand this. They are in it for money. I just think they will make more money if they cater to EVERYONE and not try to make people buy one of their other device. We will see what happens. The PB looks like a great device.
    Lol, are you seriously worried about rim making more money? I say there's plenty room for all of them, let them all cater for their own handsets.

01-07-11 11:08 AM
    Why would they put a memory card slot in it? As other have suggested about the cloud. If it's in the cloud then the carriers can charge you for more data because every time you want to access it you have to download it again from the cloud.
    Only Verizon has ridiculous overage charges here. AT&T is pretty civil about how they charge for overages (especially on the 2GB plan). Sprint's WiMax doesn't have overages, and T-Mobile doesn't charge overages at all - they just throttle and you can just go back to edge and still have decent speeds for web surfing and email, etc.

An SD Card is a pretty expected feature in mobile devices. That's why there was this entire hoopla about WP7 devices not having Expandable Memory (and the Nexus S omitting one).

A lot of people DON'T get iOS devices because they like being able to add storage when the device storage runs low.

And with HD Video recording and high MP Cameras being pretty trivial functionalities on smartphones, it happens.

Not to mention there are games on the Android Market that take up 600MB+ space, and I don't expect it to be any different if they were ported to a Blackberry device.
    01-07-11 11:08 AM
    You want it, you buy it

There in lies the rub, people will look at it, look at the blackberrys and not buy it.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-07-11 11:11 AM
    Yet no one is ******** as much about this as they were when they found out the iPad didn't have an SDcard.
    People didn't expect one on the iPad, since the iPhone and iTouch don't have an SDCard slot, and never did.

Blackberries have SD Card Slots, though, so what's stopping them from having one in the playbook.

Obviously it's not "security," since it's on their phones... Right?
    01-07-11 11:11 AM
    People didn't expect one on the iPad, since the iPhone and iTouch don't have an SDCard slot, and never did.

Blackberries have SD Card Slots, though, so what's stopping them from having one in the playbook.

You are absolutely correct. Some people refuse to listen to logic. I guess they have their own agenda.
    JoelTruckerDude likes this.
    01-07-11 11:14 AM

Not really, if it's on the phone it can be controlled by IT on BES, on the playbook it can't. Just a guess.

01-07-11 11:15 AM
    There in lies the rub, people will look at it, look at the blackberrys and not buy it.
    I think people from other countries just see it differently. BBM is very popular there, and apparently Blackberries are superphones in other countries.

It simply isn't the way here. Blackberries are looked upon as a sort of feature phone by most consumers here...

They will say "Can't I just tether it to my Android phone?" and after the CSR says "yea, but you want get you email, contacts, or calendar on the tablet unless you have a Tablet device (cause let's face it, most CSRs are bad, and they dont' care i fthey sell you a Playbook or an Android tablet)" the customer will say... Give me the Android phone and Android Tablet <x>, then.
    01-07-11 11:15 AM
    How about using a thumbdrive in the microUSB slot? Cheaper and more capacity available than SDcard.

Its a Wifi tablet, so obviously they are planning for data overages... ?

You guys are trying so hard to find a negative. Where are the threads talking about what IS interesting in tablets, instead of just bagging on the PB?
    01-07-11 11:17 AM
    Well, plenty millions buy blackberrys every quarter regardless so your logic is kinda wrong.

01-07-11 11:17 AM
    Not really, if it's on the phone it can be controlled by IT on BES, on the playbook it can't. Just a guess.

Then why is RIM stating it has out of the box compatibility with BES, then?

Are they lying, or do you know more about the Playbook than they do?
    01-07-11 11:18 AM
    Lol, are you seriously worried about rim making more money? I say there's plenty room for all of them, let them all cater for their own handsets.

I really don't care if RIM makes money or not lol. I am just saying I think they would make more the other way.
    01-07-11 11:21 AM
    Then why is RIM stating it has out of the box compatibility with BES, then?

Are they lying, or do you know more about the Playbook than they do?
    Rim actually stated is "enterprise ready" and it also explained that while paired with a bes blackberry no data will be stored on the playbook, it will just be temporarily cached, for example it will open an attachment but it will not store it, you can just view it and that's it. The playbook itself will not be on bes.

01-07-11 11:22 AM
    How about using a thumbdrive in the microUSB slot? Cheaper and more capacity available than SDcard.

You guys are trying so hard to find a negative. Where are the threads talking about what IS interesting in tablets, instead of just bagging on the PB?
    I can't believe you're even trying to compare the two.
    01-07-11 11:23 AM

I still think the PB will be a great device. I was just addressing what I found disappointing. And the fact that once the word "BlackBerry" is printed on a device, people forget about what they once bitched out previous manufacturers for.
    01-07-11 11:23 AM
    Rim actually stated is "enterprise ready" and it also explained that while paired with a bes blackberry no data will be stored on the playbook, it will just be temporarily cached, for example it will open an attachment but it will not store it, you can just view it and that's it. The playbook itself will not be on bes.

NO.

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...layBook_v5.pdf

Built for business

Out-of-the-box compatibility with BlackBerry� Enterprise Server

Seamless pairing for a secure window into your BlackBerry� smartphone

Corporate data access

Secure and manageable
    Again. Do you know more about their device than they do. I know how to read and those are all separate points in the spec sheet and on the website.

There are no footnotes there (only one exists, for the "Windows into you BB smartphone" saying it has to run BBOS 5+ to be compatible).

Again: There's no reason they couldn't have put an SD slot in the device.
    Last edited by N8ter; 01-07-11 at 11:30 AM.
    01-07-11 11:26 AM
    NO.

http://us.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...layBook_v5.pdf

Again. Do you know more about their device than they do. I know how to read and those are all separate points in the spec sheet and on the website.

There are no footnotes there.
    Yes, all that when paired with a bes blackberry not on it's own. Could be wrong but that's how I understood it will work. If just connected to wifi I doubt it can be put on BES by itself.

01-07-11 11:31 AM
    Yes, all that when paired with a bes blackberry not on it's own. Could be wrong but that's how I understood it will work. If just connected to wifi I doubt it can be put on BES by itself.

You're wrong.

I'm not even gonna continue this. You don't know anything about how Corporate Machines (Wire or Wireless) work.

I can take my Work Laptop home and still have access to all the corporate assets if I'm on my home WiFi connection. It's not hard to implement and it's a pretty trivial functionality in today's "connected world."

The playbook will have BES functionality.

It just won't have an SD slot, unlike their phones.
    01-07-11 11:37 AM
    Well, so far ,it is no better than the Android devices. The specs are the same, hardware wise, with the exception, the Android tablets have the slot for expanded memory and are compatible with more devices. Am I getting this right.
    01-07-11 11:39 AM
    You're wrong.

I'm not even gonna continue this. You don't know anything about how Corporate Machines (Wire or Wireless) work.

I can take my Work Laptop home and still have access to all the corporate assets if I'm on my home WiFi connection. It's not hard to implement and it's a pretty trivial functionality in today's "connected world."

The playbook will have BES functionality.

It just won't have an SD slot, unlike their phones.
    Again, maybe I'm wrong but BES server only supports blackberry OS, not QNX OS. Has bes announced it will support it?

01-07-11 11:40 AM
    Depends on what your requirements (and apparently what kind of phone you use?) if it's better or worse.

The biggest thing about the Playbook back when it was "leaked" was the specs, but that has been all but equalized given how the other tablets are looking. Of course, there was some curiosity surrounding the OS because it's QNX and all.

But apart from that, I don't see any specific advantages - outside of the fact that it will be the only Tablet that can access Blackberry Enterprise Server.

But the others will have decent Exchange Support, more Apps, same (and soon, probably better) hardware, probably better battery life, and less restrictions...

Plus they will ship out the gate with 3G/4G access, which is a factorable differentiator.
    01-07-11 11:44 AM
    Again, maybe I'm wrong but BES server only supports blackberry OS, not QNX OS. Has bes announced it will support it?

No matter how many questions you ask, you're still going to be wrong.

But good luck in the future trying to correct people without even bothering to check the website/spec sheet for the product. The Co-CEO of RIM also stated in person (in an interview) that the Playbook will be BES-capable.
    01-07-11 11:45 AM
470 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD