You will be able to access it from your playbook while it's connected to your blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I don't want to run it from a blackberry, that is the point.
    01-07-11 09:47 AM
    I don't want to run it from a blackberry, that is the point.
    Then you need and android tablet. Playbook is made for blackberry. Either adapt to the playbook tech or adapt the tech to suit you. One tablet will never be able to do everything, compromises have to be made.

01-07-11 09:56 AM
    you know, i completely overlooked no memory card slot....that is a big downer. GRRR RIM! come on!
    01-07-11 09:57 AM
    Then you need and android tablet. Playbook is made for blackberry. Either adapt to the playbook tech or adapt the tech to suit you. One tablet will never be able to do everything, compromises have to be made.

Stop the presses! I have to agree with you!
    01-07-11 10:01 AM
    you know, i completely overlooked no memory card slot....that is a big downer. GRRR RIM! come on!
    And they tend to completely down-play that fact. I guess RIM doesn't think we need it.
    01-07-11 10:06 AM
    Stop the presses! I have to agree with you!
    What? I'm gonna put this in my calendar so I always remember it lol

1812dave likes this.
    01-07-11 10:07 AM

That is not true. Every other tablet allows you to use all the features without having to have a certain smartphone attached to it. The PB really IS for BB users. So far we have heard you will need a BB in order to use the email app. I should not have to use webmail just because I do not have a BB. They are losing potential customers if this is the case.

I know you can bookmark it but that is not the point.
    01-07-11 10:09 AM

For $700 plus, I don't think the compromise mentality will fly here. I'm sure a 64gb version will cost that or more. Get real.
    01-07-11 10:10 AM
    That is not true. Every other tablet allows you to use all the features without having to have a certain smartphone attached to it. The PB really IS for BB users. So far we have heard you will need a BB in order to use the email app. I should not have to use webmail just because I do not have a BB. They are losing potential customers if this is the case.

I know you can bookmark it but that is not the point.
    But what you said was exactly my point, playbook will not suit everybody, you can look at it in a different way, android pads and ipads are losing customers by not offering integration with blackberry.

01-07-11 10:12 AM
    For $700 plus, I don't think the compromise mentality will fly here. I'm sure a 64gb version will cost that or more. Get real.
    But if you don't have a blackberry why would you want a playbook, especially when it doesn't have features you require? There will be alternative solutions for you.
    Besides, not having a sd card could have something to do with security in the corporate environment, bes can control the memory card on the blackberry, not on the playbook. Who knows, it's just a guess.

01-07-11 10:16 AM
    But what you said was exactly my point, playbook will not suit everybody, you can look at it in a different way, android pads and ipads are losing customers by not offering integration with blackberry.

I guess you can say that, but until the PlayBook, no smartphone had this type of integration with a tablet.

Yes no other tablet integrates with a BB, but no other tablet needs to integrate with a smartphone to use email, calendar, etc. You are losing basic features because you don't own one of their smartphones. That could help them and hurt them at the same time. It can help them by making people buy BBs if they really like the PB, and it can hurt them if people expect basic feature like this without and extension device.
    01-07-11 10:22 AM
    Ah, don't forget that the Playbook's OS and UI is the vanguard for future handsets. QNX/TAT's expertise will make it's way (I suspect SLOWLY) from the PB to the handsets. RIM has already announced their intention. Now it's a waiting game. IF you liked the UI of the ill-fated Pre, you'll likely LOVE RIM's future UI, as that's essentially the same paradigm.
    The playbook does look a bit like an overblown BBOS6 with some things added ro taken away here and there. I don't really see what's so revolutionary about it.
    01-07-11 10:23 AM
    Showstopper for me.

Is that true?

It's part of the reason why I never even gave the Nexus S a thought...
    01-07-11 10:25 AM
    I guess you can say that, but until the PlayBook, no smartphone had this type of integration with a tablet.

Yes no other tablet integrates with a BB, but no other tablet needs to integrate with a smartphone to use email, calendar, etc. You are losing basic features because you don't own one of their smartphones. That could help them and hurt them at the same time. It can help them by making people buy BBs if they really like the PB, and it can hurt them if people expect basic feature like this without and extension device.
    I've been saying this forever, but Blackberry users are stuck in their own little worlds. They cannot fathom anyone not wanting to use a Blackberry, thus they do not see how useless this tablet becomes when you don't own one.
    01-07-11 10:26 AM

Aha, but don't you think now that the playbook is real and it does integrate with a blackberry will android and iphone users demand the same integration from their tablets? I bet it will be on offer pretty soon.

Now just because some features are not included "in the box" it doesn't mean they will not be available in the form of an app. How hard will it be to make them?

Perfect example, the logicmail email app for blackberry, emails without bis or bes. They'll pro ably port it to playbook. It's not the end of the world.

01-07-11 10:29 AM
    I've been saying this forever, but Blackberry users are stuck in their own little worlds. They cannot fathom anyone not wanting to use a Blackberry, thus they do not see how useless this tablet becomes when you don't own one.
    that is a ludicrous generalization.
    01-07-11 10:30 AM
    Showstopper for me.

Is that true?

well i had always assume it would have one, i went to BB website and it made no mention of it or "expandable" memory. I have to go look at pics from the CB article again
    01-07-11 10:33 AM
    The playbook does look a bit like an overblown BBOS6 with some things added ro taken away here and there. I don't really see what's so revolutionary about it.
    it's hardly an "overblown OS6".
    01-07-11 10:40 AM
    Showstopper for me.

Is that true?

I found it hard to believe too. That is another reason this contraption will have problems. Security or no.
    01-07-11 10:46 AM
    Getting to the thread title, I always had a simple question about the naming of the BB tablet. "Play"book? Aren't they a bit simplistic if RIM thought this was a vehicle to enter into a consumer market? I do not think that professional or corporate users would appreciate this naming. At least they would have a prejudice.
    Playbook is a term, for a strategy guide; it's taken from sports. The term is used all the time in business.
    01-07-11 10:46 AM
    Aha, but don't you think now that the playbook is real and it does integrate with a blackberry will android and iphone users demand the same integration from their tablets? I bet it will be on offer pretty soon.
    Why? All you need is a Gmail account and everything syncs automatically (email, calendar, contacts, pictures for Android at least). I can already wireless tether my device to a tablet, PC, gaming console, other smartphones, etc.. and allow up to 8 devices to feed off my smartphones data connection. For free.

Now just because some features are not included "in the box" it doesn't mean they will not be available in the form of an app. How hard will it be to make them?
    Oh I know people will make them. I just find it funny that RIM is basically saying f u if you don't own a BB and making developers provide you with something that should be stock for EVERYONE. BB users bitched about the iPhone not having multitasking, yet there was an app that allowed this. Now the PB doesn't have stock email integration for anyone but BB users and no one thinks anything of it. They say download an app or use webmail. I find that funny. When people said "go download the multitasking app" they said it should be stock.

Perfect example, the logicmail email app for blackberry, emails without bis or bes. They'll pro ably port it to playbook. It's not the end of the world.

Exactly. It isn't the end of the world, I just find it funny how RIM is making NON BB users do more work to get their emails (not that downloading an app is a lot of work, it is just the principle behind it).
    01-07-11 10:56 AM
    it's hardly an "overblown OS6".
    I'm talking about the user interface. Can care less about the rest. I won't be writing apps for it.

I didn't say it was. I said that's what it looked like.

That that's what it does look like.
    01-07-11 10:58 AM
    I'm talking about the user interface. Can care less about the rest. I won't be writing apps for it.

I didn't say it was. I said that's what it looked like.

That that's what it does look like.
    The guy in the video with Kevin even said it is similar (navigation between apps and whatnot).
    01-07-11 11:00 AM
    Why would they put a memory card slot in it? As other have suggested about the cloud. If it's in the cloud then the carriers can charge you for more data because every time you want to access it you have to download it again from the cloud.
    01-07-11 11:00 AM
    that is a ludicrous generalization.
    It's a generalization? Yes.

Is it ludicrous? No.

The fact that the common excuse for the tablet's deficiencies have become: "It's made for BB users." pretty much sums it up for me.

The only thing close to ludicrous about it is that I didn't make any exceptions, but there are always exceptions - right?
    01-07-11 11:01 AM
470 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD