this is getting boring we come on this site looking for good info and help and we get lots of that but we are now getting loads of bull about rim goin doon tubes qnx this ?? lte not till blah blah wot a load of crap the lot of you who keep posting this crap just bugger off go and bug somebody else
    01-07-11 12:45 AM
    Now let me see here, if I have files I have committed to a micro sd card and use it for all my devices how will I use it with the PB. It doesn't have a built in slot so I guess I will have to have this octopus in my hands with cords dangling all over the place for a card reader. Oh wait. it probably won't be able to read from or write to it, oh well RIM doesn't think I need to do that anyway.
    01-07-11 12:54 AM
    or just look at it this way.

Google bought android and thats whats put them where they are today

RIM bought QNX and that might put them where they want to be
    Exactly right! That is how it works and the trolls who are leaving... Well... Many WILL be back. If not then so be it.

I get tired of the bashing though. If you want to leave then leave... We BB lovers don't care what you think about their "crappy" or "dated" products.

I wonder if trolls have respect for anything else in life they don't like. "I have a Toyota so all Hondas suck."

The life of a troll is a small one, and one that should include white padded walls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    rick0415 likes this.
    01-07-11 12:55 AM
    No. I just want to know what people will use it for. From reading your and the other guys posts, I can kind of see. I'll probably check it out.

Like I said I can see why gadget folks will love it. It compliments other devices, especially the size is a nice factor. I'm just saying for me there isn't much I'd use it for. But maybe...I'd have to try it out.

The biggest thing I see tablets doing besides being a luxury device is replacing textbooks everywhere. iPad PB whatever ... It's such a travesty what teachers get paid always has been... I know we wouldn't be thrilled about having to buy our kids one but if by the time they hit middle school everything is done by tablet ... Not only will tests be emailed and textbooks in iBooks/kindle but think of the money the schools could save and actually pay the teachers something worth earning, not to mention, course studies would be up to date every year !

I'm sure we all rememeber textbooks that were probably old as we were in school... Thats where tablets will do things smartphones and or laptops won't IMO

Just my .02 lol
    01-07-11 03:39 AM
    Exactly right! That is how it works and the trolls who are leaving... Well... Many WILL be back. If not then so be it.

I get tired of the bashing though. If you want to leave then leave... We BB lovers don't care what you think about their "crappy" or "dated" products.

I wonder if trolls have respect for anything else in life they don't like. "I have a Toyota so all Hondas suck."

The life of a troll is a small one, and one that should include white padded walls.

Think about how powerful this statement would be if anyone cared about what you say.
    01-07-11 03:43 AM
    It seems that not a day goes by without at least one thread from someone who knows exactly what the future holds...
    Blacklatino likes this.
    01-07-11 04:22 AM
    Think about how powerful this statement would be if anyone cared about what you say.
    And you know exactly how others view me almighty messiah. Honestly I think the whole CES thing got everyone a little heated and we all should be adults and chill, including myself.

So 67Tucker, that said, let's be civil... Sound good?

Last edited by Evan_O; 01-07-11 at 04:33 AM.
    01-07-11 04:24 AM
    I understand man, but I'm not angry. I can definitely do the civil thing though. My apologies to you sir. I'm not trying to offend anyone.
    01-07-11 04:37 AM
    Me neither... Today has been a different CB huh? Lol Darn you RIM @ CES!!!! Lmao

01-07-11 04:47 AM
    Your comments are always so deep and thought provoking. Everyone must anxiously await your witicisms at all of the social events you must be an intregal part of.
    01-07-11 06:17 AM
    Reed, that's fascinating. Perhaps the US could learn a lesson or two from that...

BlackBerry devices excel at what they do. There is no need to jump on the bandwagon and make progress for the sake of progress behind everyone else, doing what they are doing. I don't need my BB to become just another Android-like device. RIM has clearly focused on the QNX acquisition and should be positioning itself for a next-generation (really,something seamless and capable) smartphone OS. Everyone acknowledges the current BB platform has aged (gracefully, but aged nonetheless). It's time to focus on the new. The Playbook is going to plow that field.

I am not burning to dump my 9700 out of jealousy over my friend's EVO and its whopping 9-hour battery life and borderline-fraudulent lack of pseudo-4G coverage. I am looking forward to RIM's next generation of products, and I'm willing to wait for them to get it right.
    I envy your enthusiasm. What I like about the BB is its ease of use and basic functions. My first Smartphone was an original BB (black and white screen through work). The battery life is a bonus and since I switched to the Tour the phone has been a stable workhorse.

What I do not like is that I will spend the same amount of money for a product that is inferior to newer hardware technology (Torch is not even up to par with Android phones). They are restrictive with their newer technology by which carriers get to carry them (which tells me screw you loyal fan we do not care about you only who will pay us more). I would love to enhance my BB with a few apps but to many are pay to play and you will be restricted by hardwarae if you run to many.

Their nitch is shrinking and should another OS/phone get the rights(?) to or provide a solid integration with Microsoft outlook their stranglehold on the business sector will rapidly erode.
    01-07-11 06:49 AM

As for the Playbook, this thing is way to small for using it for email, the ONLY reason why one would get this thing.
    HEHEHEHEHEHE That is funny! I laughed so hard! Thanks for the joke of the day.

If you want to keep the thought a long these lines, all devices that are less then 7" would be way too small to use for email. This would include every BB, Android, Winmo, and iPhone!
    01-07-11 07:27 AM
    Your comments are always so deep and thought provoking. Everyone must anxiously await your witicisms at all of the social events you must be an intregal part of.
    Don't concern yourself with judging me, I do OK.
    01-07-11 07:45 AM
    Now let me see here, if I have files I have committed to a micro sd card and use it for all my devices how will I use it with the PB. It doesn't have a built in slot so I guess I will have to have this octopus in my hands with cords dangling all over the place for a card reader. Oh wait. it probably won't be able to read from or write to it, oh well RIM doesn't think I need to do that anyway.
    You will be able to access it from your playbook while it's connected to your blackberry.

01-07-11 07:56 AM
    I hope the door doesn't hit me on the way out because a no-show of smartphones from BB pretty much seals the deal that I'm going with Android. I was hoping for something revolutionary from RIM in their smartphone lineup, but no.

RIM invested way too many resources into building this Playbook nonsense and pretty much neglected to strengthen their smartphone line-up. Pretty pathetic that RIM's only major release was the **-hum Torch in 2010. OS6 is just a bunch of fluff.....

As for the Playbook, this thing is way to small for using it for email, the ONLY reason why one would get this thing. Also to use BBM, you have to connect it to a BB?!?! WTF?! Talk about FAIL.

I'm not sure who the Playbook targets. For one thing, tablets are more of a luxury item than an actual needed device. With that said most consumers aren't going to be forking over luxury item money for a playbook....what consumer wants to be locked into RIM ****ty AppWorld to obtaining apps and media. It sure doesn't target the business user. Most business users are going to either use their existing BB to crank out quick emails or bust out their full laptop to crank out lengthy emails. The playbook looks like it's too small to be a replaceable email client. Here's the real kicker, I don't see companies shelling out big bucks to buy playbooks for their employees since they are more of a luxury "play" item.

My predictions is that within 3 years RIM is going to be acquired by another company for use of their push email system (google perhaps?) and maybe BBM. I don't see RIM reversing their diminishing market shares with such questionable strategies.

Maybe I'll be buying a device with RIM technology in a few years, called the Google Blackberry
    RIM is not finished. Just because they didn't roll out the latest, flashy, smartphone for you does not mean they are finish. RIM has double their profits in the the last two years, their stock is holding strong, and they have a nice share of the market cap. If you know anything about RIM, you'll find that they are not pushing out media devices with huge processors. Companies like RIM are good at surviving. Who knows what kind of changes their will be made for RIM this year, a new device could be just around the corner.
    01-07-11 08:11 AM
    These threads are...[fill in the blank]
    01-07-11 08:17 AM
    A BB newbie here, a recent convert from IP4 (not really a convert as I use IP4 as a WiFi and out of town device). I do appreciate BB (Bold 9780) for its basic functionality, one hand use, shortcuts and most of all, the small and light form factor. BB is excellent for everyday use and abuse.

Getting to the thread title, I always had a simple question about the naming of the BB tablet. "Play"book? Aren't they a bit simplistic if RIM thought this was a vehicle to enter into a consumer market? I do not think that professional or corporate users would appreciate this naming. At least they would have a prejudice.
    Besides, in a sea of competing products, which is surely to expand rapidly, I doubt the PlayBook would be so successful as RIM might hope it to be.
    From what I heard in the beginning about this project, it seemed to me that this is a stopgap or almost experimental product until they can figure out how to cram this thing into smaller handheld devices with decent battery life etc, a long way to go. Use this thing with a tethering to a handheld device? Hope not.
    Too much attention to PlayBook, and RIM is hiding behind this hoopla to divert our real concern to somewhere else. Com'on RIM, tell us more about handsets. Enough about PlayBook :-).
    01-07-11 08:43 AM
    A BB newbie here, a recent convert from IP4 (not really a convert as I use IP4 as a WiFi and out of town device). I do appreciate BB (Bold 9780) for its basic functionality, one hand use, shortcuts and most of all, the small and light form factor. BB is excellent for everyday use and abuse.

Getting to the thread title, I always had a simple question about the naming of the BB tablet. "Play"book? Aren't they a bit simplistic if RIM thought this was a vehicle to enter into a consumer market? I do not think that professional or corporate users would appreciate this naming. At least they would have a prejudice.
    Besides, in a sea of competing products, which is surely to expand rapidly, I doubt the PlayBook would be so successful as RIM might hope it to be.
    From what I heard in the beginning about this project, it seemed to me that this is a stopgap or almost experimental product until they can figure out how to cram this thing into smaller handheld devices with decent battery life etc, a long way to go. Use this thing with a tethering to a handheld device? Hope not.
    Too much attention to PlayBook, and RIM is hiding behind this hoopla to divert our real concern to somewhere else. Com'on RIM, tell us more about handsets. Enough about PlayBook :-).

Ah, don't forget that the Playbook's OS and UI is the vanguard for future handsets. QNX/TAT's expertise will make it's way (I suspect SLOWLY) from the PB to the handsets. RIM has already announced their intention. Now it's a waiting game. IF you liked the UI of the ill-fated Pre, you'll likely LOVE RIM's future UI, as that's essentially the same paradigm.
    01-07-11 08:47 AM
    01-07-11 09:07 AM
    Ah, don't forget that the Playbook's OS and UI is the vanguard for future handsets. QNX/TAT's expertise will make it's way (I suspect SLOWLY) from the PB to the handsets. RIM has already announced their intention. Now it's a waiting game. IF you liked the UI of the ill-fated Pre, you'll likely LOVE RIM's future UI, as that's essentially the same paradigm.
    Yep. Some blogs have mentioned that the PlayBook UI is extremely similar to webOS. From the videos I have seen, they are right. Some aspects of the UI are very much alike.
    01-07-11 09:18 AM
    So, maybe that's where going to.
    I always thought that BB essentially was an evolution of Palm Pilot with radio capability. Look at their early models, screen full of Palm-like icons.
    This is not a bad thing to me though. I want a handheld device with a solid PIM/PDA functionality, not much interest in entertainment aspects.
    01-07-11 09:25 AM
    Web OS with cloud push would be excellent for BB, if executed well. Then, I am very interested in. With Apple's humongous investment in their brand new data centre, maybe that's where they too are going to (advancing the current MobileMe concept would be good to me :-).
    01-07-11 09:29 AM
    I'm glad the OP has asked every single person that plans on buying a playBook why they would purchase one...and I'm even more surprised that the ONLY reason myself or any of those other people want one is for email...lol oh the sarcasm
    01-07-11 09:32 AM
    Well.. a playbook is a book of plays or strategies to use during a game. While this particular usage applies to sports, it is a term that has also been adopted in politics and by businesses.

Holding off announcing phones at CES and having a big announcement later is a strategy right out of RIM's playbook.

Just as an example.

I think it is a clever name, one that would appeal to many segments of the market, albeit for different reasons.
    01-07-11 09:38 AM
    OK, you have a point in agreeing with the statement "A tablet is a luxury device" BUT what I think RIM is trying to accomplish is making it a useful tool...BB Bridge is a nice amenity IMO, but a VERY nice selling point.

It has very practical applications for someone like myself, or a student for that matter, one that needs to do excel sheets, edit word files, or create a ppt on the go and staring at the BB screen is just painful.

It has applications for being a mobile reader for those book worms out there

It has applications for being a 3D gamer - yes, 3D games...on a tablet...kinda like 3D games on a laptop with super portability.

What if I want a more polished, faster, smoother, touch interface with which I can still manage my phone? I get it here

This is a great way to consolidate my life, it works for me...You don't have to buy one, but I bet you will anyway...Come on, it's sexy, just admit it...

And if you think the PB is a luxury check this out...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/ed...05tablets.html

Apple iPad could be an A+ for schools | Technology | Los Angeles Times

Feature: iPad facilitates e-textbook revolution at U.S. schools

If they can use the iPad this way why can't I use the PB to educate MY students? I actually have already petitioned my department chair about the possibility and he LOVES it...PB coming to a High School near you...
    So the playbook is RIMs answer to having a better phone instead of making a better phone.
    01-07-11 09:45 AM
470 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD