What will she use it for? Just to have a bigger screen? I'm just not seeing the use here. BlackBerry handles email and communication fine. A computer or laptop does browsing and video.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 07:49 PM
    What will she use it for? Just to have a bigger screen? I'm just not seeing the use here. BlackBerry handles email and communication fine. A computer or laptop does browsing and video.

Movies (either ripped to the installed media card, or Netflix streaming), Kindle (she loves the Kindle app), FaceBook (she also love FB for keeping up with distant family), and plenty of other activities. [edited rant]
    Last edited by dave1812; 01-06-11 at 08:27 PM.
    01-06-11 07:52 PM

OK, you have a point in agreeing with the statement "A tablet is a luxury device" BUT what I think RIM is trying to accomplish is making it a useful tool...BB Bridge is a nice amenity IMO, but a VERY nice selling point.

It has very practical applications for someone like myself, or a student for that matter, one that needs to do excel sheets, edit word files, or create a ppt on the go and staring at the BB screen is just painful.

It has applications for being a mobile reader for those book worms out there

It has applications for being a 3D gamer - yes, 3D games...on a tablet...kinda like 3D games on a laptop with super portability.

What if I want a more polished, faster, smoother, touch interface with which I can still manage my phone? I get it here

This is a great way to consolidate my life, it works for me...You don't have to buy one, but I bet you will anyway...Come on, it's sexy, just admit it...

And if you think the PB is a luxury check this out...http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/05/ed...05tablets.html

Apple iPad could be an A+ for schools | Technology | Los Angeles Times

Feature: iPad facilitates e-textbook revolution at U.S. schools

If they can use the iPad this way why can't I use the PB to educate MY students? I actually have already petitioned my department chair about the possibility and he LOVES it...PB coming to a High School near you...
    Last edited by theruined; 01-06-11 at 07:58 PM.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    01-06-11 07:56 PM
    @theruined

I probably would use it for Word, Excel and other documents. Maybe the Kindle too. Netflix is also a plus! I most likely will check it out. Just not sure I can justify the cost. But is worth a look to decide!

@dave1812

Wow, it's just a discussion. I'm not asking you to justify anything. I'm asking for opinions and points of view to learn more. Geez. Chill. (You're under no obligation to read/reply to my posts).

Last edited by chrisy520; 01-06-11 at 08:06 PM.
    01-06-11 08:01 PM
    Movies (either ripped to the installed media card, or Netflix streaming), Kindle (she loves the Kindle app), FaceBook (she also love FB for keeping up with distant family), and plenty of other activities. (As if we need to justify ANYTHING to YOU). Now go away--you are irritating me.
    A laptop does all that. Nothing new there that only the PB can do.

01-06-11 08:07 PM
    I must also add my department chair is an avid Android fan

It's ultra portable though...and when they get the battery life up they're set!
    01-06-11 08:08 PM
    @theruined

I probably would use it for Word, Excel and other documents. Maybe the Kindle too. Netflix is also a plus! I most likely will check it out. Just not sure I can justify the cost. But is worth a look to decide!

@dave1812

Wow, it's just a discussion. I'm not asking you to justify anything. I'm asking for opinions and points of view to learn more. Geez. Chill.

sorry. the way you worded it (or the way I TOOK it) was that you seemed to be incredulous that anyone would have a number of uses for it. you were dismissive by claiming that "it's just a bigger screen" and there are computers and laptops. yes. so what? she and I have ALL THAT and more! that doesn't mean the PB isn't a device we are both looking forward to with much anticipation. The size isn't too big (like the ipad) and it's not as dimunitive as our ipod Touchs. 7" is a GREAT SIZE for what her and I want in portable electronics. I think you MIGHT change your own tune, once you see the utility of such a form factor, but if you don't--hey that's cool too.
    01-06-11 08:08 PM
    No. I just want to know what people will use it for. From reading your and the other guys posts, I can kind of see. I'll probably check it out.

Like I said I can see why gadget folks will love it. It compliments other devices, especially the size is a nice factor. I'm just saying for me there isn't much I'd use it for. But maybe...I'd have to try it out.

01-06-11 08:09 PM

whoa! not nearly as portable! battery life isn't great. I don't walk around with a laptop. My wife's laptop resides either on her lap in bed (after a long day at work), or she places it on the kitchen counter. battery life requires that she schlepp the charger in there too, and drape it about 7' across the counter, to the nearest outlet. that's a bit of a hassle. a 7" tablet would allow EASY, quick non-tethered operation in different locations, without any set up needed. Basically, IT'S MORE PORTABLE, yet fully functional for her/my uses.
    01-06-11 08:12 PM
    I must also add my department chair is an avid Android fan

It's ultra portable though...and when they get the battery life up they're set!
    Yes. The size is a plus. I do like that! That's very true.

01-06-11 08:12 PM
    Pretty much, and if I can have my phone in my pocket or bag and not have to look at it simultaneously while on my PB that makes it even better...why two devices when I can have one that does sync if I want it to and can stand-alone if I don't
    01-06-11 08:13 PM
    whoa! not nearly as portable! battery life isn't great. I don't walk around with a laptop. My wife's laptop resides either on her lap in bed (after a long day at work), or she places it on the kitchen counter. battery life requires that she schlepp the charger in there too, and drape it about 7' across the counter, to the nearest outlet. that's a bit of a hassle. a 7" tablet would allow EASY, quick non-tethered operation in different locations, without any set up needed. Basically, IT'S MORE PORTABLE, yet fully functional for her/my uses.
    That's actually why I sold my laptop. It was too big.

01-06-11 08:14 PM
    This is just getting ridiculous. When people share a negative comment about RIM they are immediately labeled a troll? And then I read that you're a Moderator? Communist forum right here... I agree with him. RIM is beginning to lose value, it hasn't released any outstanding phones for quite some time, and many people are switching from their BlackBerry. I'm not trolling, I'm just stating facts.
    The communist thing was sort of a joke/exaggeration But it's pretty true. If you aren't madly in love with your BlackBerry then everyone here is going to hate you.
    01-06-11 08:18 PM
    That's actually why I sold my laptop. It was too big.

I've got a 15" and it's far too big to take on vacation. The most we take with us is a netbook--usually my wife's. I just hate being "bogged down". My laptop sits under a 25" monitor on my office desk--I no longer move it around. My wife's much newer 14" is a nice size, but even that can be a burden in many circumstances, and like I said, we don't take it on trips, either.
    01-06-11 08:19 PM
    The communist thing was sort of a joke/exaggeration But it's pretty true. If you aren't madly in love with your BlackBerry then everyone here is going to hate you.
    Communism is a sociopolitical movement that aims for a classless and stateless society structured upon common ownership of the means of production, free access to articles of consumption, the end of wage labour and private property in the means of production and real estate. ...

A monarchy is a form of government in which all political power is absolutely or nominally lodged with an individual, known as a monarch. ...
    Our American friends might be more comfortable with Commander-in-Chief.

We are good now?
    01-06-11 08:28 PM
    Not literally true. I have no issue with posters who don't "love" their BB. I HAVE a BB. I dont' "love" it. It's an inanimate object designed for several functions that come in handy--that all. When another brand of smartphone appeals to me more, then I'll switch. Odds are high that I'll be switching to Android this spring unless RIM drops a bombshell surprise of a Storm 3 with 4G with a larger screen. I don't see that happening in the next 3 months...
    01-06-11 08:30 PM
    We are good now?
    Hahaha. Yes, definitely.
    Reed McLay likes this.
    01-06-11 08:37 PM
    I'd made this point a couple months ago. What Rim has done was develop what appears to be a very sophisticated tablet. I personally 'would' look forward to it. Now that being said they also have tightly integrated it's communication and functions with a bb phone. Without release of new lte phone on verizon I'll be stuck with staying with 9550, sure I could get a os6 phone but why? I'm not going to purchase old technology with LTE around the corner. Maybe they are happy with 'emerging' markets but I live in advanced market that expects high performance products, which Rim has failed to show at ces.. I've been with BB for quite some time but the end maybe near.. I struggled through their release of storm1 (day 1 owner).. nothing too exciting with current offerings and how long does one stand at the alter before they realize the bride just isn't showing up... I just feel they've stuck me with what I have to get the full use of the playbook when it arrives.. hmm maybe sprint is looking better.
    01-06-11 09:08 PM
    The PlayBook actually does look pretty interesting. The only thing that I can see hurting its sales are the fact that you almost have to have a BlackBerry phone to get full functionality out of it. If it's trying to take a bite at the iPad it should have things built in such as BBM so that Android and iPhone users can also get use out of it.
    01-06-11 09:19 PM
    Yep, RiM is dead in the water....I doubt we will ever see some some QNX love in their Smartphones....

Insert sarcasm meter as some won't pick up on it....

I am pretty confident that some cool arse phones will be coming out, might not be till Q2 or later, but I am excited for some QNX love in the BB smartphone.

Might suck for some people on the fence, but nobody said you couldn't move on and come back one day. Test some waters if you want...but to sit here and talk such naysayessness(yep, I made that sucker up, brilliant I know...) It is just sad....

If not happy, move on...stuck in a contract, get out of it. Can't afford it, then ebay your current phone and see if it sells and hit up CL or ebay for another brand.

people...there are many options...many....just think people like to moan and groan over every little thing...rather it new, old...whatever.

01-06-11 09:53 PM
    why do you think quarter 2?
    01-06-11 09:58 PM
    Just an assumption...nothing more. Personally me, I have another year on contract and perfectly content on 9700...and still up in the air if I really need to utilize a PB or not...

01-06-11 10:08 PM
    I hope the door doesn't hit me on the way out because a no-show of smartphones from BB pretty much seals the deal that I'm going with Android. I was hoping for something revolutionary from RIM in their smartphone lineup, but no.

RIM invested way too many resources into building this Playbook nonsense and pretty much neglected to strengthen their smartphone line-up. Pretty pathetic that RIM's only major release was the **-hum Torch in 2010. OS6 is just a bunch of fluff.....

As for the Playbook, this thing is way to small for using it for email, the ONLY reason why one would get this thing. Also to use BBM, you have to connect it to a BB?!?! WTF?! Talk about FAIL.

I'm not sure who the Playbook targets. For one thing, tablets are more of a luxury item than an actual needed device. With that said most consumers aren't going to be forking over luxury item money for a playbook....what consumer wants to be locked into RIM ****ty AppWorld to obtaining apps and media. It sure doesn't target the business user. Most business users are going to either use their existing BB to crank out quick emails or bust out their full laptop to crank out lengthy emails. The playbook looks like it's too small to be a replaceable email client. Here's the real kicker, I don't see companies shelling out big bucks to buy playbooks for their employees since they are more of a luxury "play" item.

My predictions is that within 3 years RIM is going to be acquired by another company for use of their push email system (google perhaps?) and maybe BBM. I don't see RIM reversing their diminishing market shares with such questionable strategies.

Maybe I'll be buying a device with RIM technology in a few years, called the Google Blackberry
    I'm right behind you my friend. I've been holding out hope and dying for some word on a competitive QNX phone announcement. This CES just sealed my deal. Bye Bye BlackBerry. Hello Android.
    01-07-11 12:10 AM
    Why wouldn't a business user just tether his laptop? What does the Playbook offer over that? Only the free tethering? I don't see that staying free long.

as a Business user, to log into my desktop email client I must enter 3 passwords,
    To Open an excel file and do meaningful work I must go through 2 passwords,

My Notebook get set up in Hotels, and on lay overs of greater than 60 minutes, if I don't have an hour, it isn't worth the time and security to boot up my laptop, with my blackberry it is 1 password, done, on right away no boot times, the Playbook brings a larger screen, and an office suite, in a small enough size to fit into a Jacket pocket, that means my carry on luggage gets even smaller, or running into a meeting I don't have something between me and the presenter.

Tablets SHOULD kill the netbook, the Netbook is stupid, any place I can boot up my netbook, I can boot up my laptop and get more functionality, a tablet linked to my blackberry is the best option.
    NOW clearly I am not Joe Public,
    but on a side note I purchased an 8" Tablet Media Player on Boxing day which I have used to watch some TV in bed, it doesn't over heat like my laptop would if there was a lack of Ventilation, it doesn't have buzzing fans, and battery life is excellent, with no wires, that is my Consumer hope for my Playbook.
    01-07-11 12:14 AM
    Tablets SHOULD kill the netbook, the Netbook is stupid, any place I can boot up my netbook, I can boot up my laptop and get more functionality, a tablet linked to my blackberry is the best option.
    Not entirely on topic, but I respectfully disagree. I have a netbook. I love the size and portability of it compared to a laptop and prefer the size of it and screen compared to a tablet, so I guess each to their own. Still don't think tablets will "kill" netbooks. They have their place.
    01-07-11 12:24 AM
470 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD