I hope the door doesn't hit me on the way out because a no-show of smartphones from BB pretty much seals the deal that I'm going with Android. I was hoping for something revolutionary from RIM in their smartphone lineup, but no.

RIM invested way too many resources into building this Playbook nonsense and pretty much neglected to strengthen their smartphone line-up. Pretty pathetic that RIM's only major release was the **-hum Torch in 2010. OS6 is just a bunch of fluff.....

As for the Playbook, this thing is way to small for using it for email, the ONLY reason why one would get this thing. Also to use BBM, you have to connect it to a BB?!?! WTF?! Talk about FAIL.

I'm not sure who the Playbook targets. For one thing, tablets are more of a luxury item than an actual needed device. With that said most consumers aren't going to be forking over luxury item money for a playbook....what consumer wants to be locked into RIM ****ty AppWorld to obtaining apps and media. It sure doesn't target the business user. Most business users are going to either use their existing BB to crank out quick emails or bust out their full laptop to crank out lengthy emails. The playbook looks like it's too small to be a replaceable email client. Here's the real kicker, I don't see companies shelling out big bucks to buy playbooks for their employees since they are more of a luxury "play" item.

My predictions is that within 3 years RIM is going to be acquired by another company for use of their push email system (google perhaps?) and maybe BBM. I don't see RIM reversing their diminishing market shares with such questionable strategies.

Maybe I'll be buying a device with RIM technology in a few years, called the Google Blackberry
    01-06-11 04:45 PM
    Let me start out by saying I troll on these forums to bash on RIM. I talk down on them, only because I love my Curve 8330 which I've had for 2 1/2 years (the OG one died and i bought a cheap used one to replace) and really want RIM to get their act together. ....
    Everybody is entitled to share their opinions, even acknowledge Trolls.

Many of us see a future where BlackBerry continues to prosper in this marketplace.

Research in Motion has always invested in research, they have plenty of resources for parallel product development.

buford07, pkcable, iMiiTH and 1 others like this.
    01-06-11 04:52 PM
    Trollers gonna troll!
    01-06-11 04:56 PM
    k see ya, bye
    htm986 and iMiiTH like this.
    01-06-11 05:03 PM
    I agree with the OP to an extent. I disagree that RIM wasted resources by developing the Playbook, which I think is going to be hugely successful. However, I do think that RIM's handset lineup has turned into a joke.
    01-06-11 05:07 PM
    or just look at it this way.

Google bought android and thats whats put them where they are today

RIM bought QNX and that might put them where they want to be
    01-06-11 05:10 PM
    I agree with the OP it seems as if there is a delay from BB to create a new phone to keep up with the other makers of smart phones. I was a loyal BB user, but they seem to be behind in a new phone. I thought they were going to unveil a new BB for 2011, but they haven't yet but the hope is still there.
    01-06-11 05:16 PM
    I see the OPs point and I am starting to agree. I'm still hoping for some new BlackBerry announcements at CES. I don't care about the Playbook. I'm looking to upgrade from my 9630. The Torch looks good and I'd go with that if it was on VZW.

But so far there's nothing new from RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 05:18 PM
    My predictions is that within 3 years RIM is going to be acquired by another company for use of their push email system (google perhaps?) ...
    There is a political component is that decision. Our government has taken the position that certain Companies are critical to Canada future.

Takeover bid have been rejected for several high profile companies including the company that created the Canada Arm for the International Space Station.

More recently, our large fertilizer manufacture was the target of a foreign acquisition. Our government decided that was not in our strategic interests and blocked the bid.

A takeover of Research in Motion would face the scrutiny and likely be refused.
    01-06-11 05:31 PM
    O, Ye of little faith...

"this thing is way to small for using it for email, the ONLY reason why one would get this thing."

Clearly, you have no idea of its purpose or capabilities, or its marketing target demographic. Maybe watch a video or three.
    diegonei likes this.
    01-06-11 05:35 PM
    I agree though that's it's a luxury item. Not a device to be used alone as a business or personal item. You need a laptop, BlackBerry or computer in addition to having a Playbook.

I can gadget geeks buying it. But not too many other folks.

01-06-11 05:38 PM
    I think for a business perspective, the Playbook is a great device. Connect and communicate with the company through your BlackBerry, where the company knows the connection is secure. The link between Playbook and BlackBerry will let the data on the Playbook be secure as well.

Factor that in with not needing a separate data plan for the Playbook (using your current BB data plan), and it can save quite a bit of money.

We'll have to see what apps come out for the consumer side of things. But, if the number of Flash apps that are already out are converted to AIR, there should be quite a bit available, and make it more appealing.

The hurdle is going to be the number of carriers pushing Android tablets, and the variety of Android tablets that have been announced at CES, including some with same and better specs than the Playbook.
    01-06-11 05:39 PM
    Why wouldn't a business user just tether his laptop? What does the Playbook offer over that? Only the free tethering? I don't see that staying free long.

01-06-11 05:42 PM
    Reed, that's fascinating. Perhaps the US could learn a lesson or two from that...

BlackBerry devices excel at what they do. There is no need to jump on the bandwagon and make progress for the sake of progress behind everyone else, doing what they are doing. I don't need my BB to become just another Android-like device. RIM has clearly focused on the QNX acquisition and should be positioning itself for a next-generation (really,something seamless and capable) smartphone OS. Everyone acknowledges the current BB platform has aged (gracefully, but aged nonetheless). It's time to focus on the new. The Playbook is going to plow that field.

I am not burning to dump my 9700 out of jealousy over my friend's EVO and its whopping 9-hour battery life and borderline-fraudulent lack of pseudo-4G coverage. I am looking forward to RIM's next generation of products, and I'm willing to wait for them to get it right.
    01-06-11 05:48 PM
    I am very suprised that RIM has not made any announcements about any new smartphones or significant upgrades. I was really hoping that they may have learned over the past several months that they are falling more and more behind the times and perhaps we would see some indication of a change in direction. Hopefully we will see some sign of life outside of the Playbook someday soon.
    01-06-11 05:50 PM
    I'd like to stay with RIM too. I just wish they'd make *some advancements. Little things that are now common on other smartphones, like a decent browser and better media. I'm not a business user nor do I live on my phone. I just want to keep in touch with friends/family via youtube and be able to search the web without pages locking up or not displaying properly. It's not asking much!

01-06-11 05:52 PM
    Calling my stockbroker now based on this expert opinion...

Oh wait, what's this?

RIM CEO Details BlackBerry "Super Phone" Plans | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    01-06-11 05:59 PM
    I never get sports metaphors! I hope my 9630 lasts another 10 years until I upgrade to the QNX Storm!

01-06-11 06:02 PM
    Why do so many people seem so surprised that RIM did not anounce some ground breaking super phone. Sadly it looks kike a lot of people thought that they were holding on to some secret that would just amaze the world. Its been a long time since RIM has amazed anyone. Mike L. Even admitted that they were NOT going to play in the hardware race. He said that sales to developing countries were going just fine. Did so few not believe that RIM is no longer focused on the developed markets? If you want the latest tech, its time to move on.

01-06-11 06:03 PM
    I don't care about having the latest tech at all. I like the BlackBerry OS but it's not making any advancements it seems. I'm dreading leaving BlackBerry. Like I said I just want a decent, working browser and the ability to actually see youtube videos clearly. I'm not a teen so I don't need flashy or silly apps. I just want to stay in touch with friends and family around the country. Video calling would be nice.

01-06-11 06:04 PM
    Bottome line is RIM got fat and lazy. They were making great products a few years ago. Now thier phones and OS are LAME. They should have been more prepared and I have little sympathy for RIM. They have no vision. I'll miss BBM but nothing else.
    01-06-11 06:06 PM
    BB is great for those who like the features and are happy with OS, but for myself and others who want more media capability I had to find a different phone. BB was great when I first got it, but after awhile the browser capability seemed to slow down until any internet activity was unusable. I tried getting support from my phone carrier which was a disappointment and they switched my phone each time after the 4th bb I knew it was time to move on.
    01-06-11 06:10 PM
    Everybody is entitled to share their opinions, even acknowledge Trolls.

Many of us see a future where BlackBerry continues to prosper in this marketplace.

Research in Motion has alwasy invested in research, they have plenty of resources for parallel product development.

This is just getting ridiculous. When people share a negative comment about RIM they are immediately labeled a troll? And then I read that you're a Moderator? Communist forum right here... I agree with him. RIM is beginning to lose value, it hasn't released any outstanding phones for quite some time, and many people are switching from their BlackBerry. I'm not trolling, I'm just stating facts.
    01-06-11 06:15 PM
    In defense of Reed, the OP did openly admit to "trolling the forums to bash RIM." Reed didn't make that statement up. The mods on here are awesome and I think they, as a team, are non biased and varied in their opinions and approach. I don't think CrackBerry is communist. lol.

Otherwise, I agree with your post about RIM.

01-06-11 06:20 PM
    I don't care about having the latest tech at all. I like the BlackBerry OS but it's not making any advancements it seems. I'm dreading leaving BlackBerry. Like I said I just want a decent, working browser and the ability to actually see youtube videos clearly. I'm not a teen so I don't need flashy or silly apps. I just want to stay in touch with friends and family around the country. Video calling would be nice.

I'm with you. I got my first BB years ago because of the email capabilities it had and still has. But now, for the same price as a BB, people can get a phone that does so much more AND can handle email just fine. I will soon be carrying a moto droid.

01-06-11 06:20 PM
470 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD