What is going on with the new devices? First the Tour, now the 9700. I am assume the Essex will be similar to the 9700. This is getting rediculous. While I totally agree there is a market for these devices, they are absolutely forgetting about their orginal user base. I had a Bold prior to switching to Big Red due to dropped calls and that had decent size and a decent screen. Truthfully as the technology continues to allow for thinner devices, I wouldn't mind slightly larger than the Bold. Like I said, there 100% is a market for the newer devices (I will certainly get an Essex in a month), but they are killing me/us with these tiny devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 06:26 AM
    Personally, I honestly hope RIM NEVER makes a device as ridiculously (note correct
    spelling) large as the Bold 9000.

Aside from the keyboard I hated that phone with a passion. I think RIM has
    definitely gotten the size right and hope they continue with the size format.

Also, if you in any way think Bold users are the original user base you are
    quite frankly wrong. The Bold was very late in the RIM hierarchy.
    01-09-10 06:34 AM
    i couldnt stand the size of the Bold 9000 either. i quickly "upgraded" to the 8900, then the 9700 for many reasons. size was one of them.
    01-09-10 06:58 AM
    Mush, I side with you, I actually want a slighly larger foot print than the Bold 9000, but I want it thinner, I want the screen size, and keyboard size, but the weight and thickness down, as a dual phone weilder, I would have both, a small and large form factor, because when working, the large would be ideal, but at play and going out, having a smaller one to tuck away in a suit pocket would be nice to have.
    01-09-10 07:16 AM
    I think the Tour is about right in size. You have to remember what it is. It's a smartphone, not a phonecomputer. There are *supposedly* larger touch-screen handheld computer things coming out soon. Maybe that's what you really need.

This:

What is a tablet, anyway? - CNN.com
    Last edited by dchawk81; 01-09-10 at 07:23 AM.
    01-09-10 07:19 AM
    I personally like the wider footprint, even the old 7290 size (and feeling of robustness).
    01-09-10 07:20 AM
    I think the Tour is about right in size. You have to remember what it is. It's a smartphone, not a phonecomputer. There are *supposedly* larger touch-screen handheld computer things coming out soon. Maybe that's what you really need.

This:

What is a tablet, anyway? - CNN.com
    in 5 years time, that will not be a distinction, handheld computer == smartphone.

in Business less and less is being done via phone/voice and more being done via e-mail, as this progresses, the function of these "smart phones" will be that of most regular users PC's

I do predict we'll have Newton sized devices with built in phone capabilities through bluetooth in the next 5 years,
    01-09-10 07:56 AM
    I must admit I was a bit concerned about going from a 9000 to a 9700 as I was used to the 9000 size. Now, when I handle my girlfriend's 9000 after using my 9700 I find it huge and cumbersome.

All the time I used the 9000 (after upgrading from a 8300) I didn't mind the size but now that I'm used to the 9700 I can fully appreciate why RIM designed it smaller.

It's small enough to be convenient and big enough to be fully operable in my opinion.

01-09-10 08:11 AM
    Personally, I honestly hope RIM NEVER makes a device as ridiculously (note correct
    spelling) large as the Bold 9000.

Aside from the keyboard I hated that phone with a passion. I think RIM has
    definitely gotten the size right and hope they continue with the size format.

Also, if you in any way think Bold users are the original user base you are
    quite frankly wrong. The Bold was very late in the RIM hierarchy.
    It is shocking you are a moderator given your response, but I guess your name says it all. While I appreciate your correction of my spelling, I think your way about it was classless. After all, it was posted from my "tiny" Tour on your WAP site at 7 in the morning.

In addition, telling me I am "quite frankly wrong" regarding the size of Blackberries is also off base. Advances in technology have changed the pocketability (My apologies in advance if your do not consider this a word) of devices. Both the 8700 and 8800 series were more awkward devices than the Bold is. I never said to stop making the other devices, rather that they needed to continue to add larger devices for those of us who prefer them.

Good luck in your quest in becoming an internet hero.
    Last edited by mush10; 01-09-10 at 08:59 AM.
    01-09-10 08:57 AM
    Mush, I side with you, I actually want a slighly larger foot print than the Bold 9000, but I want it thinner, I want the screen size, and keyboard size, but the weight and thickness down, as a dual phone weilder, I would have both, a small and large form factor, because when working, the large would be ideal, but at play and going out, having a smaller one to tuck away in a suit pocket would be nice to have.
    I agree completely.
    01-09-10 08:58 AM
    hey, different strokes for different folks.

Personally if I could have a berry that had all the latest goodies but stuffed into something the size of a pearl (yes I like suretype) I'd be all over that like a dirty shirt.

Other people may prefer the size/bulk/weight of the 9000. Not saying its bad, just not for me. Just like the OP would prefer something with all the latest goodies in the 9000 body. Which makes me wonder. If RIM managed to build 2 devices that electronics/features-wise were identical, but were sold it 2 different housings, which device would be the "better" one?

for example, take the 9700 as is. Seems like a great device. Now, take all the same features, processor, screen, etc and put it in a compact housing aka Pearl/9100. Would people say the "bigger" one is faster? or screen looks better? or would the smaller device be considered entry-level or girly? really the only difference would be the "larger" device would have a QWERTY and landscape oriented screen, and the "pearl" would have SureType and a portrait oriented screen. Be interesting to see, thats for sure!
    01-09-10 09:35 AM
    hey, different strokes for different folks.

Personally if I could have a berry that had all the latest goodies but stuffed into something the size of a pearl (yes I like suretype) I'd be all over that like a dirty shirt.
    I wish they would offer Suretype for a Qwerty phone, I very much enjoyed that in my WinMo phones

Give me Suretype on a BIG phone too :P
    01-09-10 09:41 AM
    I wish they would offer Suretype for a Qwerty phone, I very much enjoyed that in my WinMo phones

Suretype is nightmare if you often use two languages and one is not supported on your device. For english suretype is brilliant.
    01-09-10 09:51 AM
    I have owned 4 or 5 blackberries over the years and agree with the OP and others. There is a market for larger devices.

Personally the 9000 is ideal for me, but my Tour feels great and is as small as I could stomach.

There is definitely a market for the 8900/9700 size too.
    01-09-10 09:51 AM
    First I will weigh in with AG that I (personally) feel the Bold is too big and bulky. The 9700 is perfectly sized, about the same as the Curve. With regard to the Bold users being the "original" users.......I had a berry almost 3 years before the Bold came out and I am still new compared to many!

About suretype for a qwerty berry. If you have OS 5.0 (I am on WAP so I can't see your phone) go to settings folder-> options-> language and text input -> input text, on the second drop down you will see "show text input options", click that and enable predictive input. Now your berry will guess which word you are trying to write.

01-09-10 10:02 AM
    It is shocking you are a moderator given your response, but I guess your name says it all. While I appreciate your correction of my spelling, I think your way about it was classless. After all, it was posted from my "tiny" Tour on your WAP site at 7 in the morning.

In addition, telling me I am "quite frankly wrong" regarding the size of Blackberries is also off base. Advances in technology have changed the pocketability (My apologies in advance if your do not consider this a word) of devices. Both the 8700 and 8800 series were more awkward devices than the Bold is. I never said to stop making the other devices, rather that they needed to continue to add larger devices for those of us who prefer them.

Good luck in your quest in becoming an internet hero.
    Yup. I've got a 9700 and my twin brother has a 9000. I like the size, especially in terms of screen real estate, of the 9000 vs. the 9700 but I chose the 9700 because of features and not size.

I'm with you...I hope that RIM comes out with a new BB the same footprint of the 9000 and with the same (or even better!) features of the 9700. There are definitely two camps of BB QWERTY device users here but in the end, we can all agree size (big or small) matters! Hopefully RIM will try to please both camps.

/ES
    01-09-10 10:03 AM

I preferred the slightly larger 8830 over the Tour.

If SURETYPE is the same/similar to Predictive Text, it is back on the Tour in OS 5. It can be found under Options/LanguageText. I'm still trying to get comfortable with it but it is interesting.
    01-09-10 10:29 AM
    I love the size of the 9700 its perfect size
    01-09-10 10:39 AM
    I actually want a slighly larger foot print than the Bold 9000, but I want it thinner, I want the screen size, and keyboard size, but the weight and thickness down, as a dual phone weilder, I would have both, a small and large form factor, because when working, the large would be ideal, but at play and going out, having a smaller one to tuck away in a suit pocket would be nice to have.
    Yes, yes, and yes. I love the 9000 size other than thickness. The smaller phones don't work well with my big hands.
    01-09-10 11:03 AM
    Yes, Bold 9000 owners have complained about the size of the 9700. Primarily because of people having big hands. You can either keep your 9000, or find something on WinMo in the meantime. If RIM doesn't see people leaving, they would assume that smaller is better. Simple as that. Me personally, I liked the size of the 9000, it just had a sh!tty camera.
    01-09-10 11:35 AM
    I like the size of my new Bold' but I can understand why someone would want a bigger device. I had the original Bold and enjoyed the extra real estate. Now, I like my new Bold for different reasons. I like the styling of it better. I haven't really missed the bigger size. I don't watch a lot of videos. So the smaller screen doesn't bother me. I type just as well on the smaller keyboard as I did with the Bold. I can see why RIM would make the sizes uniform. It makes it easier to design and produce just one form of accessories. I like this size and will be happy if RIM stuck with it.

01-09-10 11:52 AM
    I have to admit, though a smaller device may be convenient, I love my 9000!! I love the larger screen and keyboard. The trackpad would be nice to have, however I am content (for now) to stick with my current phone.
    01-09-10 12:05 PM
    in 5 years time, that will not be a distinction, handheld computer == smartphone.

in Business less and less is being done via phone/voice and more being done via e-mail, as this progresses, the function of these "smart phones" will be that of most regular users PC's

I do predict we'll have Newton sized devices with built in phone capabilities through bluetooth in the next 5 years,
    Sure, I have clients that I have never spoken with over the phone. However, when I do need to pick up my phone to make a call, I appreciate that it's phone-sized. I also appreciate the size when I have to slip it in a pocket real quick. I'm not a teen girl wearing booty-huggers but I'm not a thug wearing crack-killers either.

Having said all that, choice is good. If enough people want bigger devices, RIM should make them.

01-09-10 01:52 PM
    Bold is the right size. Ive heard users say is big, but when its in your hand it feels normal. BB's should be the size in relation to the Bold. Keypad is perfect.
    01-09-10 02:04 PM
    I would agree that when in my hand the 9000 just feels right. I guess that if I had a curve or whatever I would get used to that as well. Good point!!
    01-09-10 02:10 PM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD