Need to vent...a friend of mine who lives in the States, was just given a very basic BlackBerry Curve 9350 by her obviously cheap boss. Nice simple little device that will handle email and text like a charm, but RIM shouldn't allow this device to be sold here in North America. Its simple devices like this that give RIM a bad name, when compared to the itoy and all the droids. Sell them in the emerging markets, where device cost is an issue along with data compression and BBM are crucial, and only sell the 9810, 9860 and the 9900 gem here!!
    03-07-12 03:31 PM
    Everyone has different tastes. Some people may consider the Curve to be basic, but others love theirs. I had the older Curve and it was awesome. Options are good.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-07-12 03:33 PM
    Everyone has different tastes. Some people may consider the Curve to be basic, but others love theirs. I had the older Curve and it was awesome. Options are good.
    Yup, for some people this is all they need. It may not do much, but what it does, it does better than anything else.
    stevepar likes this.
    03-07-12 03:40 PM
    I'd like to think that if the company gave her a free device for use with work (which I assume also includes the service), I'd hardly call the boss cheap.
    03-07-12 03:46 PM
    I've only used higher end BlackBerry devices, 9000, 9800 and 9900. When I used my friend's 9300 for the first time, it did NOT feel cheap at all. It was functional, responsive and aesthetic. He wanted an inexpensive BlackBerry, and the Curve served its purpose.

I can understand the OP's perspective, but you gotta understand, not everyone can afford the higher end BBs. If they stopped selling the basic models, they can lose out on a lot of that market.
    soogriff likes this.
    03-07-12 04:51 PM
    ...ppl like your friend just have really high standards. What does she do?
    I wouldn't even think for a sec that her boss is cheap. Basic Curve for employees is perfect. It's cheap, great reception, fast texting and nice battery life. She has to buy her private things from the money she works for anyway, no? All the bosses really hate that their employees are distracted by their smartphones doing facebook, twitter twitti, games and other stuffs.
    03-07-12 05:37 PM
    Simple, cheap devices like this are how RIM is keeping their unit sales up. I agree, though, that is does probably erode the brand a bit, not to mention the effect on margins.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 03-07-12 at 06:04 PM.
    03-07-12 05:43 PM
    OP. What makes you think that people that live in the States are so special that they only should be given the option of high end devices?

Come on, get real.
    03-07-12 05:53 PM
    I completely disagree. IIRC, that is RIM's best selling device and while its basic its worth it IMO to sell it here as its still a very capable phone with a great keyboard.
    03-07-12 05:55 PM
    I used a 8330 for years (luv that phone), I think a low end device "anything" is always a good idea no matter what country your in.
    03-07-12 06:00 PM
    Need to vent...a friend of mine who lives in the States, was just given a very basic BlackBerry Curve 9350 by her obviously cheap boss. Nice simple little device that will handle email and text like a charm, but RIM shouldn't allow this device to be sold here in North America. Its simple devices like this that give RIM a bad name, when compared to the itoy and all the droids. Sell them in the emerging markets, where device cost is an issue along with data compression and BBM are crucial, and only sell the 9810, 9860 and the 9900 gem here!!
    I would tend to think that these things are an issue for anyone, anywhere, or any country.
    Not just emerging markets.

Sometimes I can't believe how many posts I see from users in the US who buy lower end devices and still have no data plan because they cannot afford it. LoL.

Choice for affordability is good. And, compression of data allows some to get by on cheap data plans to be able to use BBM.
    03-07-12 06:12 PM
    Why is it amusing that some people cannot afford the data plans?

Anyways, RIM would be doing themselves a huge favour by limiting the number of different models. How many OS7 BlackBerry phones did they release since the middle of last year? Now, how many have you actually seen people using? It is a waste.
    03-07-12 06:19 PM
    Some people can't (or won't) pay the higher price for a high end phone. Even with subsidy pricing the high end phones are out of reach for some people.

I have 3 BlackBerry phones on my family plan. All of them are Curves. If it wasn't for the price tag of FREE, we wouldn't be on .

Also noteworthy, at the time that I bought my 9350, the Curve was the best low end phone available. The others were androids that had slower processors, worse cameras, and less memory.
    03-07-12 06:25 PM
    Why is it amusing that some people cannot afford the data plans?

Anyways, RIM would be doing themselves a huge favour by limiting the number of different models. How many OS7 BlackBerry phones did they release since the middle of last year? Now, how many have you actually seen people using? It is a waste.
    That is not what is amusing. What is amusing is that some people think that those who cannot afford a plan or expensive unit, is not deserving to have lower end devices available to them.
    Last edited by MADBRADNYC; 03-07-12 at 06:32 PM. Reason: momentarily misread the post
    03-07-12 06:28 PM
    For many ppl, after paying for rents, cables, foods, clothes, social securities, car, kids expenses, next family holiday...... the last thing they care is whether their smartphone is high-end or not
    03-07-12 07:01 PM
    I know some people who swear buy the curve and choose it over the Bold. I think they're crazy and they think I am for paying more for a 9790.
    Point is, choice is good but it is a tough spot to be in for RIM. It gives people choice but makes it harder for developers to create apps that work across all devices.
    I hear BB10 is supposed to change that.

Different phones for different markets / people
    03-07-12 07:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD