Ok, here you are RIM. These ideas may have been stated for the past 5 years, but they're now an eclectic blend of concise, synthesized recommendations.

You'll be billed later...

-Go to more screen and QWERTY real estate (I wonder why people still use their 9000's and refuse to get upgrades, PERFECT SIZE! We are buying QWERTY keypads for a reason.)

-Make the QWERTY Bold models with a touchscreen as well (the business and common users will be able to shake hands finally... and be welcomed to the 21st century.) Most people abide by Occam's Razor and don't like sliding phones. Being superfluous is out. We want convenient options with less moving parts.

-Make the phone SOLID and THIN like the iPhone. It feels great in your hand, so should a BlackBerry. Thick phones are so 20th century. The first Google/Android phone felt like you had a lump of coal in your pocket. Thin, solid and ready to rumble should be the mantra.

-Offer perks to mitigate what you're not offering. This will placate those of us who are on the fence about our next phone. When you negotiate a salary and the company can't offer as much money, they give you perks, i.e. free parking, gym membership, bagels, lunches at McDonald's, etc. (RIM's bargaining tool as the other carriers are offering more/newer technological advances via interface)...WOW me.

Perks may include but are not limited to...

*Doubling the pixels like Apple did. Really. Gotta innovate somewhere? Start with the eyes. Clean, crisp and reward earning screens will get business and other users to choose you over the competition.

*Great camera w/zoom (at least an 8 MP, and keep it in the middle with the lens protected, yet able to be wiped) use the chrome sparingly.

*2 gigs of RAM

*Improved battery life. BlackBerry users maul our phones. Help us maul.

*Awesome webkit. INNOVATE. Since we all check our phones 20% of our lives anyways, let me prefer to hop in the internet with my phone over my laptop. We use our phones more and more to look up websites, news, sports scores, socially network, Google stuff and find locations. We need to be efficient when we're on the go. Help us utilize e-commerce without cringing.

More notes...

-Faux leather matte finish (nothing shiny!) on back so it doesn't scratch like an iPhone. Great idea RIM. A man/woman should be able to go to a bar, order a drink and not worry about the phone scratching on the back. Oh, but conceal the lines a little more.

-Non-flashy styling, take it easy on the chrome look and focus making smoother seams on back cover. The rubberized sides are great, just keep the color black consistent all over the phone. Again, the 9000 was gorgeous. It looked professional, like you need to apply to get one. People don't want to spend half of the day wiping down chrome. Chrome is sexy as long as you treat it like diamonds...used sparingly. I don't want to have to detail my phone everyday. Used right, the chrome can look classy and timeless, without being gaudy.

-Give out test units to everyday, HEAVY users. The people who are going to use the phone should be instrumental in design and ideas. When you get the feedback, just nod and act like you care. We all know ideas are like a**holes...we all have 'em. Like the saying goes, "...you can learn a lot from an *****." Engineers aren't your base for suggestions all the time. If an image leaks, you're getting free press and incredible buzz. The risk is justified.

-Monster processor (this, paired with the great RAM will give the unit the snap it needs to compete with the iPhone and Droid phones...you need every advantage possible.) This is one place where being fast is good.

-Also, keep the charging port in a position that allows us to use the keyboard while it's charging. Thoughtful practicality.

-Waterproof. Seriously. Work on it. Phones ring while it's raining. I can already envision a commercial with the iPhone underwater and some trendy new music in the background while the user photographs dolphins while using face time and shopping for a song on iTunes...Tweeting from Facebook...while watching videos on YouTube.

-Less models, more innovation. You can have four models: Curve, Pearl, Storm and Bold. Apple has one model and it sells because people actually like having quality over quantity. We love you for a reason: You're like Derek Jeter; not flashy, just consistent, our go-to guy. The Curve is a lower-end model, the Bold is high-end/flagship. Make us salivate when you come out with a new model. Simple, efficient, thin and weighty in the hand. Make us feel like the important people we are. If you're going to come out with a new model each year, make some impact. We'll see how the 9800 sells, people may love it.

-Don't worry about a front-facing camera right now for talking (see where that trend goes). Most of the people I know don't want to see my ugly mug whilst tripping on the sidewalk, and I don't want to see theirs while I'm buying coffee or hopping in a cab. I'd rather have a snappy internet experience to buy some tickets, rather than see your face talking about a meeting...in which I'll see your face in that meeting.

-The status light needs to be seen simultaneously while it's laying flat, and on the top, where the mute button is, or even bottom when it's lying flat and charging. We need to be able to see that flashing light from different angles when the phone is on silent.

-Keep playing nice with iTunes. We all use iTunes and probably always will. Sometimes in the airport, yes, I do watch movies on my phone. Perhaps a deal with Netflix?

-Get Flash already! I ask questions all day, I don't want to keep seeing question marks on every website.

-Your e-mail pushing is the best in the world. Keep it up. That's why you're a go-to phone. iPhone is lost in this department. Their "push" is like trying to explain gravity to a 2-year old...not effective. E-mail is still the ultimate communication medium. We can't text all the time and we respond at odd hours.

-BlackBerry 6 is good, but not great. It's definitely better than 5, but we all were waiting for something with features that have yet to exist, or VASTLY improve our lives. Your listing method of screen settings is good. It's easy to use and won't alienate. I like the merging of icons with the lists. People like to feel as if the phone can be customized just for them. The BlackBerry partially gives us this feeling. Your feature in getting the text on the internet to automatically adjust to the screen is great. The iPhone dominates with this. You crush the iPhone with the trackpad, I hate moving the screen and pinching to zoom only to accidentally hit a link. Keep up the good work, but with next big OS, you'd better outdo Apple and Droid because they are leading the way in innovation and creativity. BlackBerry 7 should be your Magnum Opus, so get that Think Tank some caffeine now and prepare to catch up, then vastly surpass.

-Remember the Rolodex? Put that into contacts viewing as an option. It's like the Bedside Mode, old and effective.

RIM, the iPhone is popular because it is a simple, sexy, minimalistic-looking device with awesome apps and functionality. It sells itself. It's thin and goes well in a pocket and feels SOLID. The Bold 9000 was a great phone and that should be the template for improvement. I've had them all. Go back to making a quality phone that will be remembered. These soft upgrades are ruining your credibility. It's like a relationship...you have to give to get. Also, let's be a little green and emphasize some recycling discount of some sort and your commitment to using recycled parts.

AGAIN...treat the phone like it's a model...thin and easy on the eyes. Make the crispness of my screen so loved I can't even look at another phone. Make me always want to go "Back to Black" like Amy Winehouse. QWERTY, Trackpad and Touchscreen on one model? We'd have to play with some test models. The trackpad would cut down on accidentally hitting links, but might be redundant.

Looking forward to the intelligent comments.
    08-09-10 04:00 PM
    you should have posted in my Arm Chair CEO thread a few days ago

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/arm-chair-ceo-508284/

Great write up, but I disagree with a lot of points.

the iPhone is Popular because it has the biggest advertising budget and it had a "demo unit" available called the iPod touch allowing parents and kids to have the same device and share apps.

I don't know where you are getting iPhone and Android Beat OS6 so badly, can you elaborate? really the only "flaws" in OS6 I currently see are the lack of current developer support as compared to the other platforms, but seeing as OS6 has yet to launch, that is expected.

I would Rather See RIM bring me a front screen Camera over a 8MP or greater camera, keep the 5MP camera and improve the sensor on the back to get a better picture, I know no one who is Printing Cellphone pictures at 300DPI for 8.5"x11" sheets nor anyone who has a screen resolution on even multiple monitor set ups of 3264 x 2448, a 4MP camera is actually perfect, with a better image processor but since they have a 5 already leave the 5MP but improve the back end. front facing camera would be a nice integration into BBM, and into other IM/VOIP options.
    08-09-10 04:34 PM
    Very solid post, I agree with most of your points. RIM seems to be content on being a business device first, and a social device secondly. That's fine if your bottom line can stand it in today's smartphone market.
    08-09-10 05:37 PM
    Sorry, but you're just posting big numbers. 2GB of RAM? What for? Ubuntu Linux uses about 130MB to run on its own, 2GB is overkill for anything but Windows which needs that just to process a mouse click.
    08-09-10 05:51 PM
    Going to have to read this when I get to a REAL computer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-10 05:54 PM
    Front facing camera would be nice so long as video call technology works well on a phone, but I don't want any touch screen features. And I hope RIM devices never become like iphone; iphone is not "sexy." In fact, I don't even care about "sexy" or being "wow'ed." Push, battery life, and security are still at the top of the list of importance.
    08-09-10 06:27 PM
    Who were these people? It certainly wasnt me. This does not represent what Im looking for at all. Many of the points are frivolous at best and seems its more of a keep up with the Jones' (Iphones).

I choose bb because it is a BB.
    -Don't worry about a front-facing camera right now for talking (see where that trend goes). Most of the people I know don't want to see my ugly mug whilst tripping on the sidewalk, and I don't want to see theirs while I'm buying coffee or hopping in a cab. I'd rather have a snappy internet experience to buy some tickets, rather than see your face talking about a meeting...in which I'll see your face in that meeting.

-The status light needs to be seen simultaneously while it's laying flat, and on the top, where the mute button is, or even bottom when it's lying flat and charging. We need to be able to see that flashing light from different angles when the phone is on silent.

-Keep playing nice with iTunes. We all use iTunes and probably always will. Sometimes in the airport, yes, I do watch movies on my phone. Perhaps a deal with Netflix?
    I dont need chrome...that's your preference. And giving out phones is unrealistic...wishful thinking but it wont happen because to get a realistic consensus you'd have to give out a million.
    -Non-flashy styling, take it easy on the chrome look and focus making smoother seams on back cover. The rubberized sides are great, just keep the color black consistent all over the phone. Again, the 9000 was gorgeous. It looked professional, like you need to apply to get one. People don't want to spend half of the day wiping down chrome. Chrome is sexy as long as you treat it like diamonds...used sparingly. I don't want to have to detail my phone everyday. Used right, the chrome can look classy and timeless, without being gaudy.

-Give out test units to everyday, HEAVY users. The people who are going to use the phone should be instrumental in design and ideas. When you get the feedback, just nod and act like you care. We all know ideas are like a**holes...we all have 'em. Like the saying goes, "...you can learn a lot from an *****." Engineers aren't your base for suggestions all the time. If an image leaks, you're getting free press and incredible buzz. The risk is justified.
    Some of the ideas IN MY OPINION were good, but I wouldnt say this as the General Thought Process for all consumers.
    08-09-10 06:45 PM
    Ok, here you are RIM. These ideas may have been stated for the past 5 years, but they're now an eclectic blend of concise, synthesized recommendations.

You'll be billed later...

-Go to more screen and QWERTY real estate (I wonder why people still use their 9000's and refuse to get upgrades, PERFECT SIZE! We are buying QWERTY keypads for a reason.)

-Make the QWERTY Bold models with a touchscreen as well (the business and common users will be able to shake hands finally... and be welcomed to the 21st century.) Most people abide by Occam's Razor and don't like sliding phones. Being superfluous is out. We want convenient options with less moving parts.

-Make the phone SOLID and THIN like the iPhone. It feels great in your hand, so should a BlackBerry. Thick phones are so 20th century. The first Google/Android phone felt like you had a lump of coal in your pocket. Thin, solid and ready to rumble should be the mantra.

-Offer perks to mitigate what you're not offering. This will placate those of us who are on the fence about our next phone. When you negotiate a salary and the company can't offer as much money, they give you perks, i.e. free parking, gym membership, bagels, lunches at McDonald's, etc. (RIM's bargaining tool as the other carriers are offering more/newer technological advances via interface)...WOW me.

Perks may include but are not limited to...

*Doubling the pixels like Apple did. Really. Gotta innovate somewhere? Start with the eyes. Clean, crisp and reward earning screens will get business and other users to choose you over the competition.

*Great camera w/zoom (at least an 8 MP, and keep it in the middle with the lens protected, yet able to be wiped) use the chrome sparingly.

*2 gigs of RAM

*Improved battery life. BlackBerry users maul our phones. Help us maul.

*Awesome webkit. INNOVATE. Since we all check our phones 20% of our lives anyways, let me prefer to hop in the internet with my phone over my laptop. We use our phones more and more to look up websites, news, sports scores, socially network, Google stuff and find locations. We need to be efficient when we're on the go. Help us utilize e-commerce without cringing.

More notes...

-Faux leather matte finish (nothing shiny!) on back so it doesn't scratch like an iPhone. Great idea RIM. A man/woman should be able to go to a bar, order a drink and not worry about the phone scratching on the back. Oh, but conceal the lines a little more.

-Monster processor (this, paired with the great RAM will give the unit the snap it needs to compete with the iPhone and Droid phones...you need every advantage possible.) This is one place where being fast is good.

-Also, keep the charging port in a position that allows us to use the keyboard while it's charging. Thoughtful practicality.

-Waterproof. Seriously. Work on it. Phones ring while it's raining. I can already envision a commercial with the iPhone underwater and some trendy new music in the background while the user photographs dolphins while using face time and shopping for a song on iTunes...Tweeting from Facebook...while watching videos on YouTube.

-Less models, more innovation. You can have four models: Curve, Pearl, Storm and Bold. Apple has one model and it sells because people actually like having quality over quantity. We love you for a reason: You're like Derek Jeter; not flashy, just consistent, our go-to guy. The Curve is a lower-end model, the Bold is high-end/flagship. Make us salivate when you come out with a new model. Simple, efficient, thin and weighty in the hand. Make us feel like the important people we are. If you're going to come out with a new model each year, make some impact. We'll see how the 9800 sells, people may love it.

-Get Flash already! I ask questions all day, I don't want to keep seeing question marks on every website.

-Your e-mail pushing is the best in the world. Keep it up. That's why you're a go-to phone. iPhone is lost in this department. Their "push" is like trying to explain gravity to a 2-year old...not effective. E-mail is still the ultimate communication medium. We can't text all the time and we respond at odd hours.

-BlackBerry 6 is good, but not great. It's definitely better than 5, but we all were waiting for something with features that have yet to exist, or VASTLY improve our lives. Your listing method of screen settings is good. It's easy to use and won't alienate. I like the merging of icons with the lists. People like to feel as if the phone can be customized just for them. The BlackBerry partially gives us this feeling. Your feature in getting the text on the internet to automatically adjust to the screen is great. The iPhone dominates with this. You crush the iPhone with the trackpad, I hate moving the screen and pinching to zoom only to accidentally hit a link. Keep up the good work, but with next big OS, you'd better outdo Apple and Droid because they are leading the way in innovation and creativity. BlackBerry 7 should be your Magnum Opus, so get that Think Tank some caffeine now and prepare to catch up, then vastly surpass.

-Remember the Rolodex? Put that into contacts viewing as an option. It's like the Bedside Mode, old and effective.

RIM, the iPhone is popular because it is a simple, sexy, minimalistic-looking device with awesome apps and functionality. It sells itself. It's thin and goes well in a pocket and feels SOLID. The Bold 9000 was a great phone and that should be the template for improvement. I've had them all. Go back to making a quality phone that will be remembered. These soft upgrades are ruining your credibility. It's like a relationship...you have to give to get. Also, let's be a little green and emphasize some recycling discount of some sort and your commitment to using recycled parts.

AGAIN...treat the phone like it's a model...thin and easy on the eyes. Make the crispness of my screen so loved I can't even look at another phone. Make me always want to go "Back to Black" like Amy Winehouse. QWERTY, Trackpad and Touchscreen on one model? We'd have to play with some test models. The trackpad would cut down on accidentally hitting links, but might be redundant.

Looking forward to the intelligent comments.
    If this would happen, it would keep me a Blackberry customer. We thought we were going to get a lot of this with the Magnum/Dakota. We've heard nothing on it for months. Instead, we get the Torch. Very disappointing.
    08-09-10 06:51 PM
    RAM is the horsepower that allows your apps to keep multiplying and your processor to keep up. It IS overkill...when you don't have much more than the standard software, but as you add, it definitely helps. "Sexy" is a word that embodies sleek, effortless design. People who don't care about how their PDA's look should stick to flip phones. LOL. The comments about BlackBerry 6 not "Wowing" me I think are common thoughts. The general consensus is that the upgrade is definitely better than 5, but not revolutionary. While we have witnessed the Droid and iPhone evolve with new and intriguing software, I think many of us BB users were hoping 6 would have some new features yet to be shown. We shall see. Thanks for the posts.

Do you at least agree with the solid/weighty feeling? Thinner?
    08-09-10 06:58 PM
    I don't recall when "the people" elected you their spokesman??? You should really use the pronoun I, instead of WE.

If OS6 hasn't "VASTLY IMPROVED YOUR LIFE", you must not be holding the phone right.

You can have it:

GOOD
    FAST
    CHEAP

You can only pick two.
    08-09-10 07:04 PM
    apple products are very well integrated with eachother. thats why they sell.

you have a music collection for example:
    you buy and ipod,itouch you load it up with music
    you play it in car,home, boombox,bluetooth,etc(theres shtload of acessories available for it)
    you buy an iphone same thing its compatible with almost anything on the market as a music player.

the only problem is its locked to its own codecs.

what i can 99% guarantee is, if apple released an iphone with open platform that would enable us to play all formats of audio/video like other phones it would beat everything else to death.

i think blackberry is playing same game as car audio manufacturers, they are squeezing every lil dollar out of the fanclub(us, the loyal BB users)
    by releasing only the minimum improvements.
    im sure they are fully capable of releasing a badass phone that will stand up to the latest smartphones such as apple and HTC but why would they?

if people havent notticed yet
    9700 was not really a major upgrade from 8900
    they just changed things around to keep from redesigning the whole phone.

true, the numbers like megapixels, and memory and 3g capability have increased since8900 but people were expecting alot more from it...
    08-09-10 07:10 PM
    RAM is the horsepower that allows your apps to keep multiplying and your processor to keep up. It IS overkill...when you don't have much more than the standard software, but as you add, it definitely helps. "Sexy" is a word that embodies sleek, effortless design. People who don't care about how their PDA's look should stick to flip phones. LOL. The comments about BlackBerry 6 not "Wowing" me I think are common thoughts. The general consensus is that the upgrade is definitely better than 5, but not revolutionary. While we have witnessed the Droid and iPhone evolve with new and intriguing software, I think many of us BB users were hoping 6 would have some new features yet to be shown. We shall see. Thanks for the posts.

Do you at least agree with the solid/weighty feeling? Thinner?
    Most of the complaints about OS6 seem to very much be related to hardware, NOT software.
    Please elaborate what OS6 lacks that iPhone/Android have in therms of the OS, you are just being extremely superficial based on the devices that OS6 is on, and not the OS in it's self,

as for Form Factor of the BB,
    I would like a slightly wider than the 9000, but about 3mm thinner,
    08-09-10 07:20 PM
    I don't recall when "the people" elected you their spokesman??? You should really use the pronoun I, instead of WE.

If OS6 hasn't "VASTLY IMPROVED YOUR LIFE", you must not be holding the phone right.

You can have it:

GOOD
    FAST
    CHEAP

You can only pick two.
    Relax and get over yourself. I obviously don't speak for everyone, and if OS6 has vastly improved yours...that says all I need to know. This is a forum on the internet, a place where cyber nerds like you can feel powerful. Thanks for the grammar lesson.
    08-09-10 08:21 PM
    It's not about the grammar, but who the message is coming from: you, not the people. And on your first post, like you're here to teach us all about this ground-breaking and "new" vision you have about BBs? And half of your points contradict the other half. Yeah, I'm the one that needs to get over myself...
    08-09-10 09:15 PM
    8mp camera? come on.. overkill..
    2GB ram? 1 would be more than fine.
    Less models = less inovation. People want choice.
    Thank goodness you didn't want a front facing camera, that's when I stop reading these kind of posts.
    The battery life is already the best of any smartphone. Hands down.
    "monster processor" = monster battery. I don't want to carry a brick around in my pocket just to get the same battery life.
    Adobe is working on flash for Blackberry.
    I happen to find a Blackberry far "sexier" than an iPhone. What is good looking about a huge screen with a border? Blackberry is the best looking devices on the market IMO.
    Waterproof? lol. I am dieing to see someone attempt to swim with their iPhone.
    08-09-10 09:35 PM
    i dotn see nothing wrong with a front facing camera.

its not only for facebook.
    mainly its there for video calls like skype which is pretty badass.
    08-09-10 09:42 PM
    It's not about the grammar, but who the message is coming from: you, not the people. And on your first post, like you're here to teach us all about this ground-breaking and "new" vision you have about BBs? And half of your points contradict the other half. Yeah, I'm the one that needs to get over myself...
    Are you serious? Really? You're taking this that personal? I reiterated from the jump that I'm stating what's been said over the last 5 years. Just my opinion. If you don't like it, go read something else. Perhaps a book on how to relax. Nobody has to agree with me. Again, just some opinions. I'm not offended, just surprised at how anal you've become. It's a post. Not trying to teach anyone anything. You obviously spend a lot of time posting and critiquing posts as well. It's not an amendment to a law, just random musings. Have a great day.

BTW, you can't put "new" in quotes if I didn't state that.
    08-09-10 10:36 PM
    i dotn see nothing wrong with a front facing camera.

its not only for facebook.
    mainly its there for video calls like skype which is pretty badass.
    Skype would be good for that...in retrospect. I just used it with a friend who traveled to China. I wonder if the front-facing camera will become a mainstay or used as much as Apple thinks. I also wonder how much battery it eats up.
    08-09-10 10:39 PM
    Great write up I agree with most of it
    08-09-10 11:51 PM
    i really don't like it when people start saying WE and assumes that i'm included in that WE part.
    08-09-10 11:53 PM
    and, while ari make valid point or 2 or 3 - much like any, somewhat rational person - ari no speak for all. ari need learn: solicit, listen, build consensus before making omnipotent proclamation! a little grandiose and...well, you know!
    08-10-10 12:07 AM
    I disagree with a lot of points... Here's why:

Higher resolution screen

• Bigger Render Buffer
    • More LED dots

Bigger Render Buffer

• More memory required
    • More processing power required

Consequences:

More LED dots

• Negative impact on battery life

More Memory Required

• Less memory available for other tasks

More Processing Power Required

• Less processing power available for other tasks

Solutions:

Stronger Processor

• Negative impact on battery life (big probability of)
    • Possible impact on dice size (ie.: bigger chip)

More RAM (Memory)

• Negative impact on battery life (big probability of)
    • Possible impact on dice size (ie.: bigger or more chips)

More powerful battery

• Possible impact on device weight (heavier)
    • Change in battery size

Problems due to "solutions":

Negative impact on battery life

• Device runs out of power quicker

Dice Size Change

• Bigger components
    • May lead to bigger device
    • May lead to weight change (heavier)
    • May lead to compromised in components (missing components [WiFi])

Weight Change

• Heavier device
    • Unbalanced weight

Everything in an embedded device needs to be balanced. Changing one thing has repercussion on other things and you always need to compromise at one point. I rather that compromise be on resolution then on anything else. I design embedded device as a living... It's not a simple as simply putting in new components and calling it a day.

Also, don't assume everyone agrees with you... Don't use WE... It makes you sound egocentric and self-absorbed. I didn't ask nor want you to represent my thoughts.
    Last edited by FineWolf; 08-10-10 at 12:23 AM.
    08-10-10 12:08 AM
    i really don't like it when people start saying WE and assumes that i'm included in that WE part.
    Agreed. The title should read 'ari's ideas', not 'the people have spoken'. Don't speak for me.
    08-10-10 12:12 AM
    Going to have to read this when I get to a REAL computer.

I was just thinking the same thing and when its not 2am!

08-10-10 12:15 AM
    Some valid points, but I think your whole "vision" is flawed.
    First, you seem to be under the impression that EVERYONE looks at the iPhone as the grandiose pinnacle of smartphones. I, for one don't, and I know tons of people that share this mentality. Rim technically is not in direct competition with the iPhone, imo they are trying to differentiate themselves as much as possible. Second, you're viewing the whole thing through the eyes of a nerd engulfed in hardware specs.. Fact is, the average consumer does not care about specs. y father who is buying the 9800 on the 12th, is doing so because the phone is attractive and seems functional to him. He views high end Android phones and iPhones as "too techy" and "for nerds". Third, you do not take into consideration Rim's costs and profit margins. The fact is BBs are assembled in Canada not in tech sweat shops in China. All the drastic changes would mean: more R&D for rim, more expensive components.. overall, less profit per phone.
    I believe RIM remains conservative because that is their business strategy, maybe if they lose vast amounts of money, some change will come.
    08-10-10 12:36 AM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD