Your usage must be VERY modest to not be experiencing problems with OS6 on the 9700. Unless I'm literally just swiping around on the homescreen or sending simple SMS, things are painfully sluggish. It's like running windows XP on an old 300Mhz pentium 2.
    I'm a heavy user, I send lots of Email, BBM & Texts every day. I do a lot of browsing too, in fact I'm sending this message from my 9700.

Now I only have a dozen or so Apps on my phone so I don't know if that makes a difference?
    07-10-12 10:49 AM
    I'm a heavy user, I send lots of Email, BBM & Texts every day. I do a lot of browsing too, in fact I'm sending this message from my 9700.

Now I only have a dozen or so Apps on my phone so I don't know if that makes a difference?
    And you're sure it's a 9700 and not a mis-labeled 9780? ;-)

Honestly though, you must have a rare phone. Especially for the web browsing part. To access crackberry on my 9700, it takes about a minute to load the main page when it actually works (just tried it now and it brought up the "clock" icon for a minute, then crashed the browser with the "page is too large error".)

The consensus amongst 9700 users with OS6 is to not even bother using the built in browser.
    07-10-12 11:09 AM
    I posted this in a different thread last week, but this seems a more appropriate place

How about RIM asking its employees to visit retail stores and act as blackberry advocates? Nokia is doing something like that.

"Under this plan, more than 1,000 North American employees have signed up to go to outlets selling Nokia phones, such as an AT&T store at a shopping mall. The effort has spanned from Tuscaloosa, Ala., to Chicago.

Employees are usually armed with food and coffee, and work to bond with sales people and interact with potential phone buyers. Conversations often turn to the breadth of Nokia's apps, such as its navigation system, which comes free with the phone.

In some stores, such as a nearby T-Mobile store, Nokia staff would find their Lumia 710 smartphone had already been moved off the main display despite being a relatively new entrant in the market. In this store, phones from Samsung Electronics Co. 005930.SE -2.03% and HTC Corp. get the most prominent placement."

Nokia Late to the Silicon Valley Party - WSJ.com
    07-10-12 11:10 AM
    And you're sure it's a 9700 and not a mis-labeled 9780? ;-)

Honestly though, you must have a rare phone. Especially for the web browsing part. To access crackberry on my 9700, it takes about a minute to load the main page when it actually works (just tried it now and it brought up the "clock" icon for a minute, then crashed the browser with the "page is too large error".)

The consensus amongst 9700 users with OS6 is to not even bother using the built in browser.
    Lol yes I'm sure, my wife and I both got our 9700's at the same time about 2 years ago and they were our first (but definitely not last) BlackBerry's.

I did do a Back Up & then a Security Wipe after I installed BB OS 6. Maybe that made a difference?
    07-10-12 12:06 PM
    Lol yes I'm sure, my wife and I both got our 9700's at the same time about 2 years ago and they were our first (but definitely not last) BlackBerry's.

I did do a Back Up & then a Security Wipe after I installed BB OS 6. Maybe that made a difference?
    Well I'm honestly not sure what to think. I can understand that SMS and email work fine for you; those task only require very modest processi power/memory.

But the 9700 forums are literally packed with users who almost all have the same 9700 OS6 browsing experience: terrible.

If you've got some sort of freak 9700, hold onto it for dear life. I will be honest, I think the 9700 was the last "good" device that RIM released. I picked mine up on launch day, in November 2009. When it came out running OS5, it was fast, functional and was a legitimate competitor in the phone market. Unfortunately, every BB since the 9700 has just been more of the same. They never really improved on the basic formula. That's why you're seeing so few people that find Blackberry relevant anymore. They've really been left behind due to their own inaction.
    Neely2005 likes this.
    07-10-12 01:22 PM

It didn't for me.
    07-10-12 04:34 PM
    My uncle is now eligible to upgrade his phone, a Curve something with Rogers.

He went into the Rogers store to look at phones. I've been telling him to look at the Torch 9810 but he was pushed really heavily by the rep towards the Samsung Galaxy III. The Rogers rep even said to stay away from BlackBerry. My uncle has three BlackBerries on his account and quite likes BB.

I wish retailers would stop hiring punks who push the flashiest technology and instead actually listen to the consumer's needs and wants and help them pick a phone that's right for them.

I think once RIM launches BB10 they need to set up a few kiosks/retail outlets of their own because the current retailers are probably hurting them more than helping them.

Not just Rim. I have run into Best Buy and Fry's to grab other products and run into the same issues that Rim is having. You would think that since Best Buy and other big box retailers are having financial problems, closing stores etc, that they would want everything in their inventory actively displayed, marketed and sold by their sales people. But what the do I know.....I guess that's just crazy talk on my part. Where's my foil hat??
    07-10-12 04:55 PM
182 ... 678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD