In all I've been reading and posting about since DevCon, it seems clear to me that RIM is poised to really get back on its game (technologically speaking at least), but if they can't figure out how to communicate better (managing existing user expectations and getting potentially new customers excited), its all for naught.

I thought this article in today's Globe & Mail really summed it up well:
    RIM looks set to fight 'analysis paralysis' - The Globe and Mail

Thought CB'ers might be interested.

David
    10-21-11 02:37 PM
    What do you mean, communication problem? Didn't you see Lazaridis on stage at DevCon having "real conversations" with other executives who generalized about the BBX platform?

<Random executive>: Our kernel is secure.
    Lazaridis: Oh WOW I can't believe it! The kernel is secure? No way! Awesome!! I had no idea!!!

Really guys, get a clue. You weren't even talking to the crowd, the media, the developers. I felt like I was watching a high school classroom presentation. No wonder you're getting blasted by the media, you have absolutely no concept of communications or public/customer relations whatsoever. Saying "we're going to show QNX phones at DevCon" and then not showing them basically makes EVERYONE (most importantly, shareholders) think you have nothing, you can't keep any promises, and you're slow slow slow to adapt.

As always, I continue to offer my services free of charge should RIM ever want to make use of someone who actually gives a damn about their brand and is pulling his hair out watching it go to sh*t. I'll even hop on a train to Waterloo on my own dollar. Go ahead, try me.
    Last edited by supraking; 10-21-11 at 02:59 PM.
    10-21-11 02:55 PM
    For a communications company they certainly suck at it. Wow they posted about a major BB outage on their website. But really is that all they could do. RIM really needs to start asking themselves IS THIS THE BEST WE CAN DO?
    I have to answer yes because obviously RIMers are doing their best right?? IDK weak performance at DevCon, all talk and no show.

Checkout this from RIMs website, which was under Tablets. Yup plural are they kidding?
    "The tablet that does it all—and then some" AYFKM!

I'm sorry does all what?????????????????????????? and then some like USB OTG, A2DP, DLNA, PIM apps and other apps at that?
    Can't leave without adding spell check and auto punctuation.

should be "The tablet that wants to be loved really really bad"
    Last edited by dentynefire; 10-21-11 at 04:22 PM.
    10-21-11 04:17 PM
    Managing customer expectations is the simplest of activities a company can do... it is simply a case of say little , deliver lots..

Customers HAVE been getting excited about new RIM products but over talking and under-delivering will make the biggest fan jaded after a while.. handsets 6 mo late and buggy, overhyped and barely functional PB..ot goes on and on.

RIM is poised to talk about getting back on its game. it needs to stop talking and do more do-ing.

In all I've been reading and posting about since DevCon, it seems clear to me that RIM is poised to really get back on its game (technologically speaking at least), but if they can't figure out how to communicate better (managing existing user expectations and getting potentially new customers excited), its all for naught.

I thought this article in today's Globe & Mail really summed it up well:
    RIM looks set to fight 'analysis paralysis' - The Globe and Mail

Thought CB'ers might be interested.

David
    10-22-11 04:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD