So we are now hearing/reading rumors of Samsung's interest in RIM, and just a few weeks ago the speculation was that Amazon tried to buy the company but an offer was ultimately rejected.

To quickly give my thoughts on the Samsung proposition, I think it could be a good deal for both. Google now owns Motorola, giving them a home-field advantage with Android software, and obviously Apple builds their own hardware and software. This could give Samsung a chance to buy RIM, heavily invest in the company and build out it's next generation products with BB10. Long term, this could be a solution like Apple or Google/Motorola, so I'm happy with that.

However, I still think that the best parent for RIM would have been Amazon and there's a simple reason why: RIM needs an ecosystem like iTunes or Chrome/Google Music/Gmail that integrates media, calendars, backups, cloud services and more. This integration is becoming increasingly important to buyers who want to streamline their technology purchases and simplify their day-to-day lives. Amazon has an entire ecosystem of music, movies, and more that would quite literally open the floodgates to content for RIM customers/future buyers.

An Amazon/RIM merger could have brought together the best of both worlds: boundless media content with the ability to access it from your phone, tablet or computer, and the business/communication excellence that we expect from BlackBerry.

Perhaps the Amazon merger is off the table now, but I still think that BlackBerry needs to be looking at ways to integrate the user experience. A desktop version of 7Digital would be a good idea...BB owners still have to use iTunes to manage their music, and that service integrates flawlessly with iPhones and iPads. That's a big disadvantage for RIM (and other mobile phone companies) but one that they need to start to remedy. Integrate the new BlackBerry video with 7Digital music and allow BB owners to access all of their media through one source.

Thoughts?
    01-17-12 02:04 PM
    You know RIM already partnered with 7Digital for a music store and is about to release their Movie/Video Store, right?

BB phones have had a 7Digital App for a while too. The "Locker" feature works too.
    01-17-12 02:06 PM
    Yes, I have it on my PlayBook, but the integration and ease of use is nothing like iTunes, unfortunately.
    01-17-12 02:13 PM
    maybe.

I already purchase all of my digital music from Amazon mp3 (from my BB and computer) and I dont use iTunes at all to manage my music (its terrible, the highly underrated Zune software is 1000x better).
    01-17-12 02:17 PM
    Yes, I have it on my PlayBook, but the integration and ease of use is nothing like iTunes, unfortunately.
    Really? How so? I actually thought it was better than iTunes, considering any device with an App or HTML5 capable browser could log in and download the music.

I'm talking music only, obviously. We can discuss the movies/video store when it comes.

lets not forget, the Playbook and OS10 phones will support Flash, so Amazon Video will work fine in the browser. I have used it a few times on my Playbook.

Don't get me wrong, Apple and Amazon have incredible ecosystems. RIM is starting to build theirs. Give them a little time.

Edit: I'm not really sure why integrating music and your calendar is important.
    Last edited by Blacklac; 01-17-12 at 02:35 PM.
    01-17-12 02:24 PM
    I don't really disagree with you, but for example, with Apple, you can DL a song on your Mac and automatically have it available on your iPad and iPhone. RIM is a ways off from that type of simple integration. To the average consumer, this type of integration (hate to keep using that term) leads to all kinds of "ooohs" and "ahhhs". It's easy to use and enjoy any of your devices when the content and...integration...is so seamless. For me, it usually goes something like this:

DL song on Playbook via 7Digital

Open 7Digital on computer, open locker, transfer song to desktop

Song is imported into iTunes

Add song to a few playlists

Connect Playbook to DM, sync media so that playlists are updated on the PlayBook

(this does not include the fact that DM/iTunes/Playbook play like water and oil and I'm often syncing my PlayBook to the computer 5-6 times before it updates appropriately. I have 3 computers and 3 playbooks, and all act the same way )

Main point: there is still some manual back and forth required with 7Digital, iTunes, DM, PlayBook, phone, etc, and like you note, RIM could be doing a better job. Amazon would have been an easy fix for media content tied right to your device...too bad it probably won't happen.
    01-17-12 03:00 PM
    I'm not sure how old you are. But neither was iTunes, when it first started. You're trying to compare a relatively new system to one that's been reincarnated multiple times. And there are those who don't think the present iteration of iTunes is that great.
    01-17-12 03:04 PM
    Yeah Amazon would be the best for RIM.

Samusung is simply gonna suck away the patents then dump the brand--which will be very sad.
    01-17-12 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD