BES is what gives BB its reputation without it BB is just a normal smartphone. RIM needs to figure out a way to bring BES or BESX functionality to consumers or small businesses that don't have exchange. Sell me a BES like software I can install on my PC or have an online service similar to Mobile Me but with BES features. Even expand BIS so I can do OTA sync without having to macguyver it, full native imap folders, remote wipe, etc. Anyone else agree??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-11-10 01:44 PM
    It would be nice to have these features, as many other phones now come with them as standard but while Blackberry phones still sell well I'm guessing there will be little change in RIM's offerings of just BIS and it's scaled down features for consumers.

Would be nice to have an out of the box working solution but not something I see as likely in the near future

06-11-10 01:51 PM
    Not too long ago RIM tried this with Unite! http://crackberry.com/get-blackberry-unite

Problem was is that it was poorly executed and they ended up discontinuing it pretty quick. Maybe they have something else in mind, but we'll just have to wait and see.
    06-11-10 01:56 PM
    BES is what gives BB its reputation without it BB is just a normal smartphone. RIM needs to figure out a way to bring BES or BESX functionality to consumers or small businesses that don't have exchange. Sell me a BES like software I can install on my PC or have an online service similar to Mobile Me but with BES features. Even expand BIS so I can do OTA sync without having to macguyver it, full native imap folders, remote wipe, etc. Anyone else agree??

Say what? All BES is is a security and email link subsystem that ties into Exchange (or other enterprise email solutions like Lotus, etc.) If you don't have an enterprise email server of the likes, BES won't do anything for you. Were you aware of that... BES is not like Mobile Me. If you're looking for something close to Mobile Me, then that's Desktop Manager with Desktop Sync enabled on it. (Then you leave it running in the background and it does the email pushing to the phone as Outlook polls and gets your emails.) However, even with that, it's still not very close to Mobile Me in some aspects.

BTW, RIM won't even allow full use of the platform's abilities at no additional cost... it's their "cash cow" design.
    06-11-10 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD