I have had a BB for the past 6 years. I currently have the BB Bold. I have Verizon and so do all my co-workers. At one time there were 11 of us who had BB. Now there are just two of us. The other 9 have gone with Android phones and one has gone with the IPHONE. BB needs to come out with a phone that can compete with Android phone. My contract is up now. I'm giving RIM till June to release a better BB or I'm going with an IPHONE. IMO RIM has fallen short and lagged behind and if they dont come out with a BB that can compete with the ANDROID or IPHONE they will be left behind.
    04-16-11 08:50 AM
    Yeah, June 20 I'll be at 2 years and eligible for a subsidized upgrade. I hope some of these new touch devices materialize by then - 1Ghz CPU's, full touch, half touch, slider, anything. Lotsa codenames and blurry photos/videos, but it's go time now! I won't leave BB, but I'll be disappointed if the Bold 9780 is still the only viable choice by then. When the QNX phones materialize in a year's time or so and if they live up to their promise, I'll be inclined to buy one outright at full price.

Worst case scenario: nothing materializes before iPhone 5 comes out, then I might bail.
    04-16-11 09:33 AM
    this thread has been done 1000x over.
    Im very happy with my phone(a 9700)
    it does all i need it to... you need to remember that they are BUSINESS devices 1st, and entertainment 2nd. and so what 9 of your friends have left? that is their choice..
    END RANT

but read through this, its pretty interesting article about how they talk about future proofing:
    RIM's big bet: Can the PlayBook future proof the company? | ZDNet
    04-16-11 09:39 AM
    Yeah the Blackberrys are they're own thing, i love it, i dont like the androids or Iphones, because idc what anyone says touch screen starts to go bad, its happened to me to many times, no matter what it is. I will stick to the good old buttons. Its all personal preference, just as anything in life. Yeah the android has all kinds of games and apps, but the blackberry has plenty imo, and has a physical keyboard!
    04-16-11 09:44 AM
    Bottom line is people are LEAVING Blackberry at an alarming rate. If you don't see that well....your just in denial. IMO the ONLY thing BB has going for them is BBM. It's just a shame RIM has not been able to keep up in the smart phone market. I hope they come out with a BB that's better and much faster. I'm 43 and my eyes arent as good as they once were and trying to read the tiny print while on the web is just a bummer.
    04-16-11 10:05 AM
    Yeah, yeah, like Fubaz said.
    04-16-11 10:09 AM
    Yeah, June 20 I'll be at 2 years and eligible for a subsidized upgrade. I hope some of these new touch devices materialize by then - 1Ghz CPU's, full touch, half touch, slider, anything. Lotsa codenames and blurry photos/videos, but it's go time now! I won't leave BB, but I'll be disappointed if the Bold 9780 is still the only viable choice by then. When the QNX phones materialize in a year's time or so and if they live up to their promise, I'll be inclined to buy one outright at full price.

Worst case scenario: nothing materializes before iPhone 5 comes out, then I might bail.
    Yeah, I want to stay with BB but just don't know if I trust RIM anymore to provide a quality product that will keep up with the times and beyond.
    04-16-11 10:09 AM
    Bottom line is people are LEAVING Blackberry at an alarming rate. If you don't see that well....your just in denial. IMO the ONLY thing BB has going for them is BBM. It's just a shame RIM has not been able to keep up in the smart phone market. I hope they come out with a BB that's better and much faster.
    If you listen to forum poster or gadget bloggers then you might think people were leaving at an alarming rate as you incorrectly put it, but the actual reality that considers such things as sales figures would tend to disagree even if they are failing to keep up with the growth of some of the other companies.
    04-16-11 11:07 AM
    I have had a BB for the past 6 years. I currently have the BB Bold. I have Verizon and so do all my co-workers. At one time there were 11 of us who had BB. Now there are just two of us. The other 9 have gone with Android phones and one has gone with the IPHONE. BB needs to come out with a phone that can compete with Android phone. My contract is up now. I'm giving RIM till June to release a better BB or I'm going with an IPHONE. IMO RIM has fallen short and lagged behind and if they dont come out with a BB that can compete with the ANDROID or IPHONE they will be left behind.
    I've head that once you and your coworker leave RIM is going to close up shop. Waterloo was counting on you two.
    I'm kidding, if RIM doesn't have what you want go with something else.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-16-11 11:22 AM
    Whether or not BB is falling behind or not is based on your personal standards. If you expect all the latest stuff and newest gimmicks on each new phone that comes out then RIM is gonna disappoint you because they tend to lean towards phones that are solid and work well rather than load it with more bells and whistles than the circus which seems to be what everyone else is doing.
    04-16-11 11:23 AM
    I have 4 android phones and 2 blackberries. Guess which one I use more than any others. My Bold. It works better for what I need than any of the other phones I own. The blackberries that are coming out later this year look very promising. I can't wait to get my hands on a few of them. I think what it comes down to though is that you need to use what works best for you. Not what everybody else is using. If blackberry doesn't have what you want then go to what does. I never thought that would be a hard concept for people to graps but it really seems to be.
    04-16-11 11:31 AM
    I have 4 android phones and 2 blackberries. Guess which one I use more than any others. My Bold. It works better for what I need than any of the other phones I own. The blackberries that are coming out later this year look very promising. I can't wait to get my hands on a few of them. I think what it comes down to though is that you need to use what works best for you. Not what everybody else is using. If blackberry doesn't have what you want then go to what does. I never thought that would be a hard concept for people to graps but it really seems to be.
    Your post should be stickied.

I agree with everything you've said, and so does this blogger.

From the article:
    The personal nature of smartphones is evident in any article on the web dealing with one phone or another. The comment section for such articles immediately becomes a shouting match over which platform is best. The fact of the matter is that no matter how personal these phones become, there is no perfect device nor platform for everyone.

It is important for each individual to understand what uses of a phone are important to fit their lifestyle, and go with that no matter how public pressure tells them otherwise. It doesnt matter if a particular smartphone is cool, or has state-of-the-art features; it only matters if it does what you need, and does it well.
    Ferretling likes this.
    04-16-11 11:39 AM
    You'd think so but sadly most people still can't merely focus on what they want in their phone and can't rest until they belittle everything else and flame everyone that has a different opinion than them.

Especially on the internet, look anywhere.
    04-16-11 11:44 AM
    You'd think so but sadly most people still can't merely focus on what they want in their phone and can't rest until they belittle everything else and flame everyone that has a different opinion than them.

Especially on the internet, look anywhere.
    The anonymity of the Internet is most likely the cause of "flame wars". Most reasonable folks would not be so hostile if they were personally interacting face-to-face with people whose opinions are different than their own.
    04-16-11 11:47 AM
    I'm 43 and my eyes arent as good as they once were and trying to read the tiny print while on the web is just a bummer.
    My exact age as well and one of the reasons I left my Bold 9700 behind. I can actually read the web now on my Captivate. Love it.
    04-16-11 11:49 AM
    Bottom line is people are LEAVING Blackberry at an alarming rate. If you don't see that well....your just in denial. IMO the ONLY thing BB has going for them is BBM. It's just a shame RIM has not been able to keep up in the smart phone market. I hope they come out with a BB that's better and much faster. I'm 43 and my eyes arent as good as they once were and trying to read the tiny print while on the web is just a bummer.
    People come and go, it's only normal, one type a customer will leave, a new type will jump on it. Think every year there's a new generation ready to get their first mobile phone or smart phone.
    At least in UK Rim has made it very easy and cheap to get a blackberry on payg and with bbm teenagers are going crazy for them. It only costs 5 a month to keep the blackberry data plan going.
    Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 04-16-11 at 11:54 AM.
    04-16-11 11:50 AM
    The anonymity of the Internet is most likely the cause of "flame wars". Most reasonable folks would not be so hostile if they were personally interacting face-to-face with people whose opinions are different than their own.
    My thoughts exactly and I point that out every chance I get, sometimes to the same people using that mask of the internet to be a total dip**** and they clam up immediately. It's hilarious to see expose flamers like that but I'm getting off topic.

Knowing this, it's very easy to just focus on your opinion and ignore all the ignorance and indifference one could suffer through quite a lot.
    04-16-11 12:35 PM
    I've head that once you and your coworker leave RIM is going to close up shop. Waterloo was counting on you two.
    I'm kidding, if RIM doesn't have what you want go with something else.

I hear you Snoozer! I want to stay with BB. I just want RIM to stay with the times. My Bold is slow when loading web pages and reading news stories and such is a challenge.
    04-16-11 05:42 PM
    If you listen to forum poster or gadget bloggers then you might think people were leaving at an alarming rate as you incorrectly put it, but the actual reality that considers such things as sales figures would tend to disagree even if they are failing to keep up with the growth of some of the other companies.
    I should have been more specific. In "my observation" over the past year in my work place and area where I live.... people have and are leaving their BB for the Android and IPhone. I like BB but I'm keeping an "Open Mind" and looking at all my options.
    04-16-11 05:55 PM
    RIM will have a partnership agreement soon and more API intergration. for now BB is a hit and miss.
    04-16-11 07:31 PM
    People come and go, it's only normal, one type a customer will leave, a new type will jump on it. Think every year there's a new generation ready to get their first mobile phone or smart phone.
    QFT. This.

The Style is my first BB. Chosen after months of research. Chosen over ANdroid, after researching both. Because it was just the right phone for me. Not because it's the best for everyone. I'm not buying a phone for anyone else but me.
    wassab likes this.
    04-16-11 07:58 PM
    what are their north american sales figures?
    04-17-11 06:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD