Lol.... It is obvious you don't know who CX is. This should be good...
    We all have free speech. Moderator or not.

Apparently you don't understand what sub standard is

the Article writer is not writing about the quality of the OS

He is talking about APPS! he is talking about potential politics

as a HEAVY blackberry user, and someone who understands what is happening with the software, the little things the BBOS does well it does really well, intelligent short cut commands, auto text, universal copy and paste just to name a few.

I'm not saying RIM is perfect, I would change a lot about them but the OS especially OS6 is an awesome piece of productivity driven software.
    Apparently you fail to understand the article. It's not all about apps. The opening sentence says it all. An OS has many different aspects to it. How about end user experience? How about the fact that they are behind in the game? Windows XP today is still once of the best OS's for PC but that doesn't mean it's the most advanced. Why would the writer talk about Android the whole time if RIM had a standard OS? The standard is Android and Apple, that would make RIM's substandard. Doesn't matter how much you like the OS, there is better out there. And we all know as the article says that if BBM were on Android devices it would open the floodgates and people would be abandoning left and right. Open your eyes people. I want to see the Blackberry evolve, but OS6 is not the beginning of it. Just a repackaged 5.0 w/ a couple tricks and finally after years, a worthy browser. I know it pains you HEAVY supporters to read this but it seems you are too busy being "loyal" to notice people want more, better, newer. We can all hope QNX can bring this to the table sooner than later.
    08-21-10 10:47 PM
    That has nothing to do with it. CX is very educated on the BB OS... He is an insider.

And there is no such thing as free speech on a forum... I'm not saying you crossed any lines, but a Mod can lock whatever they want.
    08-21-10 10:51 PM
    Which translates as you don't even understand what was said. Just a hint: Nobody was pointing to his forum status...
    08-21-10 10:53 PM
    That has nothing to do with it. CX is very educated on the BB OS... He is an insider.

And there is no such thing as free speech on a forum... I'm not saying you crossed any lines, but a Mod can lock whatever they want.
    Which translates as you don't even understand what was said. Just a hint: Nobody was pointing to his forum status...
    Well this brings me back to my point on end user experience. A genius could write it and have all the inside information in the world but it's the average users that rate it and decide to buy it or the competition.
    08-21-10 10:56 PM
    Well this brings me back to my point on end user experience. A genius could write it and have all the inside information in the world but it's the average users that rate it and decide to buy it or the competition.
    I'm not disagreeing with you. I no longer use BBs. Been that way for a year now. I wont give RIM another chance until I see some things changed to something I like.
    08-21-10 11:03 PM
    Nobody cares for the Blackberry OS. Developers hate it. Customers don't care for it either. Customers love the features of Blackberry, they love the keyboard, they love the mail handling, they love BES, they love the keyboard shortcuts, they love BBM and some other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. Those are all beloved Blackberry trademark features. The OS though, is garbage. Anybody who thinks it's fine either doesn't know what makes a good OS or is delusional. If you think I'm wrong, please look through the thousands upon thousands of posts about battery pulls. Do a search for "battery pull" and see how many hits you get. The "battery pull" is not a beloved Blackberry feature, but it's far too common and it's the fault of the OS being too limited or unstable. BB OS is like a 24 bit OS in a 32 bit world.

The article is right, the OS is transparent to the end customer. Let's say RIM makes an Android Blackberry with all the same features that customer love. Will any customer care it's not a Blackberry OS? I doubt it, as long it does the same things. Will customers like the idea? Sure they will, all of a sudden they have access to Android Market. I'm sure developers would love it too, all of a sudden, they have more customers.

I have doubts RIM will do this though. RIM wants to be more like Apple, and not just another Android handset maker. They want to create an ecosystem that they can control, and not one that's out in the wild. BTW, everybody cell phone maker wants to be like Apple. Apple, in 2nd quarter 2010 accounted for 48% of the ENTIRE mobile market profit pie. The crazy thing..... 2nd quarter is usually Apple's worst for iPhone sales.

Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-21-10 at 11:56 PM.
    08-21-10 11:47 PM
    Nobody cares for the Blackberry OS. Developers hate it. Customers don't care for it either. Customers love the features of Blackberry, they love the keyboard, they love the mail handling, they love BES, they love the keyboard shortcuts, they love BBM and some other things I'm sure I'm forgetting. Those are all beloved Blackberry trademark features. The OS though, is garbage. Anybody who thinks it's fine either doesn't know what makes a good OS or is delusional. If you think I'm wrong, please look through the thousands upon thousands of posts about battery pulls. Do a search for "battery pull" and see how many hits you get. The "battery pull" is not a beloved Blackberry feature, but it's far too common and it's the fault of the OS being too limited. BB OS is like a 24 bit OS in a 32 bit world.
    Feel free to speak for yourself, but "Nobody cares for the Blackberry OS" is still a false statement.

Personally, I can't stand iOS.. Does that mean no one cares for it? Obviously not.
    08-21-10 11:55 PM
    Feel free to speak for yourself, but "Nobody cares for the Blackberry OS" is still a false statement.
    Does anybody really care for the OS of anything? They don't. The OS runs in the background allowing you to run programs. There may be a lot of programs that come with an OS, like Windows Media Player, or Internet Explorer. Those are all features though, not the OS (although MS might argue IE is part of the OS). Even look and feel is a feature. You can skin Windows XP to look exactly like Windows 7, and vice versa.

The only people who really care for the BB OS is RIM, because it's proprietary. End users don't care about the OS of anything, as long as it has the features they want, basically, run the software they want. Do you care about the OS that's running your car? How about your DVR? You probably don't. People don't care about the OS, they care about the programs it can run. Blackberry features can be stuck on anything. Android is a robust OS based on a Linux kernel, it's degrees more powerful than what RIM has now. Perhaps they should consider some type of alliance with Intel and go MeeGo and run on Moorestown if they don't like Android.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-22-10 at 12:21 AM.
    08-22-10 12:07 AM
    Personally, I can't stand iOS.. Does that mean no one cares for it? Obviously not.
    You probably mean you don't like the look and feel of iOS. Perhaps you don't like the way it handles multi-tasking.

Those are not the OS though, they're features. The core OS is actually a thinned out version of Mac OS X, which is a Unix derivative. What's not to like about that? There are really 2 OS's out in the PC world now (although I hear the defense department still has some PCs running on DOS), Windows NT and Unix (and their derivations). The beauty of both of them is their scalability, which allow them to run on virtually any computer.
    Last edited by Roo Zilla; 08-22-10 at 12:15 AM.
    08-22-10 12:13 AM
    Is the number one selling or downloaded app still quickpull? I never used it, I would just manually pull my battery... Best BB app ever though is QuickLaunch. I loved that app with a passion. Never having to leave my homescreen was nice.
    08-22-10 12:24 AM
    Is the number one selling or downloaded app still quickpull? I never used it, I would just manually pull my battery...
    Because the OS is garbage.

Ok, maybe that's harsh. It was great a few years ago. Times change though. Now you need something that's stable and can scale with all the new features consumers are demanding now. 3-4 years ago, text emails and a WAP browser were enough in a smartphone and the BB OS was fine for that. Now people want/demand more, and that requires a more powerful OS.
    08-22-10 12:31 AM
    These comments about "apps" wear me down sometimes. I know everyone is different, but to me a blackberry means, call quality, email, and browsing. I wish RIM would work on browsing to get it on par with some of the android devices. Other than that I love the bb OS. It's traditional, clean and easy to navigate. I think hardware can use more work than RIM software. I wish there was a 9700 with a bigger screen, without slider because I was not thrilled with the torch. Anyway point is, the bb OS is fine, if you want fun, totally awesome cool apps then get another device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-10 12:34 AM
    Because the OS is garbage.

Ok, maybe that's harsh. It was great a few years ago. Times change though. Now you need something that's stable and can scale with all the new features consumers are demanding now. 3-4 years ago, text emails and a WAP browser were enough in a smartphone and the BB OS was fine for that. Now people want/demand more, and that requires a more powerful OS.
    Hehe, it is a little harsh lol... But, I do agree, times have changed and thats why I left.
    08-22-10 12:35 AM
    You probably mean you don't like the look and feel of iOS. Perhaps you don't like the way it handles multi-tasking.

Those are not the OS though, they're features. The core OS is actually a thinned out version of Mac OS X, which is a Unix derivative. What's not to like about that? There are really 2 OS's out in the PC world now (although I hear the defense department still has some PCs running on DOS), Windows NT and Unix (and their derivations). The beauty of both of them is their scalability, which allow them to run on virtually any computer.
    "features" are what makes up an OS.. If you don't like the features of the OS, you don't like the OS. No one is going to look at a phone and say "I really like that the OS is a Unix derivative. I'm going to get it even though I don't like it's features"

To add to your list of features I don't like, you can't customize hardly anything.
    08-22-10 12:35 AM
    "features" are what makes up an OS.. If you don't like the features of the OS, you don't like the OS. No one is going to look at a phone and say "I really like that the OS is a Unix derivative. I'm going to get it even though I don't like it's features"

To add to your list of features I don't like, you can't customize hardly anything.
    You're confusing UI with OS. UI again, is a feature. Features don't make up the OS. Name everything you like about Blackberry. They're features. They can run the same features on any OTHER OS just fine. RIM just chooses not to.

As for liking an OS because it's a Unix derivative, sure, why not. A lot of Android fanboys and developers love that fact. Android guys know features can be added left and right to their OS because it's so robust. A recently introduced feature is voice actions on Android, which is very good. There's no way BB OS could support something like that.

As for the customizations complaint, again, they're features. If RIM stuck their UI on Android, they can implement the exact same customization features.
    08-22-10 12:46 AM
    These comments about "apps" wear me down sometimes. I know everyone is different, but to me a blackberry means, call quality, email, and browsing. I wish RIM would work on browsing to get it on par with some of the android devices. Other than that I love the bb OS. It's traditional, clean and easy to navigate. I think hardware can use more work than RIM software. I wish there was a 9700 with a bigger screen, without slider because I was not thrilled with the torch. Anyway point is, the bb OS is fine, if you want fun, totally awesome cool apps then get another device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think what you mean is you love the Blackberry UI. Do you really love an OS which requires battery pulls, limited memory, and generally unstable?

RIM can easily stick the Blackberry UI onto Android and offer the exact same positive user experience without the negatives. I would think that to the end consumer, this would be a positive thing.
    08-22-10 12:50 AM
    I think the consumers are and Blackberry is starting to lose market share. All analysts predict iPhone (even with reception fiasco) will overtake Blackberry in market share next year, and only being on their 4th gen device and on limited carrier penetration. Google while no longer making hardware has Android sells now surpassing RIM and market share is increasing like a wild fire, and they are on there second year I think. Wall street and analysts want growth.
    If you look at their sales figures, Rim are still expanding, it is their marketshare that is decreasing and realistically that is to be expected as there are simply a lot more options in the smartphone market these days than there used to be and if it wasn't for the hyperbole of bloggers who feel the need for any new thing to be a killer something else or for existing stuff to be dead then you wouldn't get this level of overreaction.

The Tragic Death of Practically Everything
    08-22-10 03:30 AM
    I think what you mean is you love the Blackberry UI. Do you really love an OS which requires battery pulls, limited memory, and generally unstable?

RIM can easily stick the Blackberry UI onto Android and offer the exact same positive user experience without the negatives. I would think that to the end consumer, this would be a positive thing.
    Reread the earlier stuff he mentioned like call quality, there is far more to an OS than just the UI and the sweeping assumption that android with a blackberry skin would suit blackberry is at best shortsighted in the extreme.
    08-22-10 03:33 AM
    Reread the earlier stuff he mentioned like call quality, there is far more to an OS than just the UI and the sweeping assumption that android with a blackberry skin would suit blackberry is at best shortsighted in the extreme.
    Does that call quality include the "tinny" sound that is apparently common on the 9800?
    08-22-10 06:04 AM
    Not everyone likes or wants Android OS.

#justsayin
    I'll ditto that!
    08-22-10 06:16 AM
    RIM's OS has some flaws, but the good things about it are part of the OS. Before computer giants stepped in (Google Apple) the OS was better than palm and windows at the time. I think it might be a matter of economics, as RIM's pockets just aren't as deep as apple or Google. The one thing that doesn't fit is that Microsoft's pockets are deep, and they do well in the PC world, but the windows mobile OS was never that good. Google won't put Android on their phone, and blackberry won't either. That article is good for a laugh, nothing else. If you like what you have, don't get bent out of shape because a web writer says something, ha ha
    08-22-10 06:46 AM
    Hehe, it is a little harsh lol... But, I do agree, times have changed and thats why I left.
    You haven't left, you're still here. I sold my Ford two years ago. I don't read Ford forums anymore. When you move on, well, you move on. Unless you don't have a life.
    08-22-10 09:19 AM
    As much as I think RIM has a slew of things to fix on their own OS, they most definitely should NOT switch to Android.

RIM is like right at the line to making their platform up to par with other OS platforms. They just need to do/figure out a few things.

- fix memory leaks
    - add more memory (so the OS doesn't take up 50%)
    - bump up processor speed so web browsing is smooth and no little clocks of doom

The already have their physical designs of the devices solid, just those few things I mentioned and RIM would be on easy street.
    08-22-10 09:45 AM
    Call quality usually depends on the baseband and modem firmware, not the OS. Think of it as upgrading the firmware on your router or something similar. The way a phone OS interacts with the baseband is similar.

Again, you too are confusing features with the OS.
    08-22-10 10:33 AM
    You haven't left, you're still here. I sold my Ford two years ago. I don't read Ford forums anymore. When you move on, well, you move on. Unless you don't have a life.
    Got a problem with me being here? Too bad. I left the platform, it doesn't mean I can't participate in an open forum. I use to own BlackBerrys, I still have an opinion on them and I am able to express it freely. I have a life. You caring about me being here makes me question yours. Although, I really don't give a crap. No one is making you read my posts, move on.
    08-22-10 11:12 AM
77 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD