RIM Must Switch To Android Now, Before It's Too Late (RIMM, GOOG, AAPL)

SFGate.com's Dan Frommer suggest RIM switch its OS to Android. Some valid points in his argument.
    08-20-10 07:00 PM
    "No one who buys BlackBerry products actually cares about the BlackBerry OS."

Lol that's pretty funny. I like how he stated it as a fact instead of opinion.
    08-20-10 07:21 PM
    Mods close this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-10 08:12 PM
    Wow, everyone is really going after RIM. This is intense.
    08-20-10 08:19 PM
    If I could get BBM on either Apple or Android, I switch OS in a second. If a Blackberry client on another OS provided the same BIS and/or BES features users are used to, and did it reliably, plus they had the web and multimedia experiences of either Google or Apple, then there would be a mass defection, and that is why RIM won't do it. My hope is that RIM is running a massive inward switch to try to make something with the QNX purchase because it has a secure kernel version, but it is possible that they are just delusional and truly believe the products that they are releasing are fantastic.
    08-20-10 08:19 PM
    Please, can someone close this thread?
    08-20-10 08:25 PM
    No reason to censor this silly article.. It's at least good for a laugh.
    08-20-10 09:42 PM
    "No one who buys BlackBerry products actually cares about the BlackBerry OS."

Lol that's pretty funny. I like how he stated it as a fact instead of opinion.
    I'm sorry, I love my 9700 to death, but I hate the Blackberry OS. I don't know a single person who enjoys it, nor have I EVER hear anybody compliment it.

I'm with the columnist, nobody buys BB for the OS.
    08-20-10 10:11 PM
    I'm sorry, I love my 9700 to death, but I hate the Blackberry OS. I don't know a single person who enjoys it, nor have I EVER hear anybody compliment it.

You just met one... So what do they buy them for? The keypad? I would assume not a single storm would be sold then right?
    08-20-10 11:26 PM

ive got no issue for the OS. in fact, i dont mind it at all and find it meeting all my phone/OS needs.
    08-21-10 12:08 AM

I happen to like Blackberry OS a whole lot. It's very easy to use, has obviously been designed with a great deal of thought, and is simply rock solid. I've been a blackberry user for years and I love their phones and absolutely respect the OS.

People have been giving RIM a lot of flak lately for being behind the times. While this is true, this isn't necessarily a terrible thing. The way I see it, this is because their focus was on bringing the same level of reliable service to their existing customers while gradually upgrading their devices and OS to meet todays trends and multimedia capabilities.

It's not fair to compare them to Google or Apple who released their phones relatively recently with ZERO customers. RIM has been making the Blackberry since 1996! It takes time to ease into a new paradigm. Give RIM some time and I'm confident they won't disappoint.

PS: RIM, if you're reading this... don't take too long... ok?
    08-21-10 06:41 AM
    Not everyone likes or wants Android OS.

#justsayin
    08-21-10 06:52 AM
    I've messed around with a few iPhones before, and while I've never used a Droid-based phone, my impression is that both OSs are much more dynamic than the BB OS. I'm sure they have a wider range capabilities. I stick with BlackBerry because PINs and BB Messenger are crucial in staying connected with the people I work with: they're reliable, not limited by character count, confirm delivery and cost just the same no matter what country's carrier you're sending them from or to. If BlackBerry came out with a Droid-based unit that could still do all of that, I don't see why I wouldn't try it.
    08-21-10 06:54 AM
    I find it amazing how the business media can drive a company into the ground. Analyist upgrade/downgrade stocks as they see fit to meet their ideals and how a company should look/operate. I'm not saying RIM shouldn't innovate, but let the consumer choose what meet's their needs.
    08-21-10 07:37 AM
    I find it amazing how the business media can drive a company into the ground. Analyist upgrade/downgrade stocks as they see fit to meet their ideals and how a company should look/operate. I'm not saying RIM shouldn't innovate, but let the consumer choose what meet's their needs.
    I think the consumers are and Blackberry is starting to lose market share. All analysts predict iPhone (even with reception fiasco) will overtake Blackberry in market share next year, and only being on their 4th gen device and on limited carrier penetration. Google while no longer making hardware has Android sells now surpassing RIM and market share is increasing like a wild fire, and they are on there second year I think. Wall street and analysts want growth. People who can look at other platforms are, another good portion (like me who is tied to BBM for my job) wish they could, and then their are the die hard loyalist who will keep buying whatever RIM puts out. Point is Apple and Google up'd the ante in what users want and expect, and RIM just isn't answering and they either will have to soon or fold!
    08-21-10 08:25 AM
    RIM should have ponied up the big bucks and bought PALM strictly for webOS. BlackBerry Torch running webOS would have put RIM in the same league of it's arch rivals.
    08-21-10 03:01 PM
    i love the BB OS. It's so user friendly. i can see the 2 linking up to make something huge though!
    08-21-10 03:26 PM
    Personally, I really like Android. And I like the BlackBerry OS as well. I think the BlackBerry OS is a little more user friendly/easier to use.

RIM OS Dev's are fine at what they do. And they also have one of the worlds best Operating System makers in QNX. In due time..
    08-21-10 04:29 PM
    I agree with the article that they shouldv'e done something much earlier, maybe even buy Palm. Imagine what WebOS would be with better hardware and battery life from the push services of Blackberry!

RIM should think about moving to Android, they can merge their services into their specific Android devices (or make them available to every Android device), or at least put BBM and their push email services as a "skin" on Android. Then I would seriously consider buying a Blackberry phone again.
    08-21-10 06:17 PM
    Hahaha now this is a silly thread

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 07:05 PM
    I agree w/ much of the article. Always nice to see people speak up about RIM's substandard OS. Even if they make a wonderful QNX OS... Part 2 would be getting devs to make tons of [useful] apps for it. Who knows how long all of that could take, and it's all a big IF. RIM is blessed to have BBM and BIS keeping them standing on thin ice as it is... OS 6 is a yawn. It's time to really compete. And NOW!
    08-21-10 07:11 PM
    I agree w/ much of the article. Always nice to see people speak up about RIM's substandard OS. Even if they make a wonderful QNX OS... Part 2 would be getting devs to make tons of [useful] apps for it. Who knows how long all of that could take, and it's all a big IF. RIM is blessed to have BBM and BIS keeping them standing on thin ice as it is... OS 6 is a yawn. It's time to really compete. And NOW!
    Sub-standard?? Really, this coming from someone with a 9700 in their profile. Why don't you enlighten me, feature for feature. This I would love to hear. Again, feature for feature. I'll wait....
    08-21-10 08:15 PM
    Sub-standard?? Really, this coming from someone with a 9700 in their profile. Why don't you enlighten me, feature for feature. This I would love to hear. Again, feature for feature. I'll wait....
    Apparently you didn't read the article. Then again, nobody needs to read the article to know that. I don't waste my time on fanboys. You either see it one way or the other.
    08-21-10 10:16 PM
    Apparently you didn't read the article. Then again, nobody needs to read the article to know that. I don't waste my time on fanboys. You either see it one way or the other.
    Lol.... It is obvious you don't know who CX is. This should be good...
    08-21-10 10:18 PM
    Apparently you don't understand what sub standard is

the Article writer is not writing about the quality of the OS

He is talking about APPS! he is talking about potential politics

as a HEAVY blackberry user, and someone who understands what is happening with the software, the little things the BBOS does well it does really well, intelligent short cut commands, auto text, universal copy and paste just to name a few.

I'm not saying RIM is perfect, I would change a lot about them but the OS especially OS6 is an awesome piece of productivity driven software.
    08-21-10 10:21 PM
77 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD