When Jim B was announced as the new CMO, I thought it was a bad decision, and couldn't believe the board members didn't raise a stink. A big issue I've noticed with people's perception of RIM is that they barely know what products are offered, and most have such a negative perception of the company, it's kinda sad to see how low they've fallen. Even in Canada. Before I go on, I should say I'm talking specifically about the North American market, which is still RIM's largest.

As a fan, I've seen a lot of their ads on Youtube, and they are forgettable at best. I'm sure some of you have seen the Galaxy S II ad. Nearly 4 million people have watched it in 10 days! I can't even remember the last RIM ad that people shared on their blogs or Facebook walls.

And at the moment, truth of the matter is that BlackBerrys can't compete with iOS, Android or even Windows Phone. A few developer friends hate writing apps for it, the process is too slow, the OS is too old and annoying to write for (They are coding for BBX/QNX). But BBOS app selection isn't anything to be impressed at. So while Apple is touting the worlds biggest app store to do anything from looking at the stars to scanning bar codes to check for competitor prices, RIM looks bad with it's puny app availability that's a tenth the size. (Please don't respond with "Oh yeah, how many of those apps are fart apps?", a bunch of ours are just themes).

I'd like to see RIM change the conversation, at least until they can catch up. Samsung needed to just show that their phone is now for everyone except hipster wannabes. I think RIM really needs to focus on the social aspect. And not get some photographer taking pictures of her dog and tongue on her phone and using BBM, I'm talking about really showcasing the emotions of interaction. BBM is still an awesome tool that iOS doesn't have. Its amazing on battery, and amazing for data consumption. It's popular. It's social and keeps family and friends together. You can sync calendars, have group chat with pictures and so much more.

Case in point, I love the British t-mobile ads that really emphasizes on their slogan "Life is for Sharing"

Has nothing to do with a cell service, except it just evokes a gushy warm feeling about being close to your love ones.

Again, absolutely nothing to do with cell service, but thirteen thousand people together singing along is just another event bring people closer together.

I'm not saying that RIM needs to imitate t-mobile and start recording flash mob commercials, but I'd like to see something fresh, something that'll get people talking and sharing just a simple video to each other. Get people's perception of RIM change from bland and boring to something that helps people be closer. Almost everyone I know with a Playbook, or the new 9900/9930 loves it. Because I showed my Playbook to just three people, 8 people have gone ahead and bought one. None of them were interested before because they just weren't interested in anything BlackBerry before.

Making a good product is extremely important, but without good marketing, it can find itself dead in the water. I think that Zune is the best example of that. Way better then the iPod, but they just sucked when it comes to marketing. I'll do my best to find the article, but a couple of years ago, Jim B said that he believed that the BlackBerry product line should speak for themselves, and believed marketing wasn't as essential. As the CMO, I am afraid that RIM despite being able to bring a new, and possibly amazing OS and hardware to match, will still bleed market share here and remain at best in third place.

Finally, I mentioned this in another thread before, but from a friend who was formally an employee there said that HR/Marketing and other "soft" departments are seen as less important. Say what you will about Apple, but the fact is they are one of the world's largest company, and you don't get there by treating certain segments of the company as inferior.

I've emailed RIM with what I've said here, and if you agree and think it may help, I'd suggest you do the same.

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by s7khan; 12-02-11 at 11:56 AM.
    12-02-11 11:53 AM
    I saw their Bold Touch Ad on Discovery and CNN and each time I heard the first two notes of the song, some how a warm fussy feeling rushed through me. There are still lots of love for RIM, their hard ware are solid(not because they're of top quality but because they don't break as often) and their security are impeccable. Some how the CEO can't kick it up a notch or two, see what happens when Steve Job return to Apple, that what RIM really need right now. Some one who can pull their shyt together and make something that's gonna blow the competition
    mud314 likes this.
    12-02-11 12:11 PM
    I want to start a thread "Why Does Blackberry Have NO Marketing? Give me a break. The products are great. Who knows. I love my Playbook. Smaller, more durable, and works better than any android or for that matter the iDont Tablet. Why do so many buy the iPad, because they have a gazillion apps and accessories. Blackberry does not need hardware anymore "killer" or "cool" than what they have now. They need to remind everyone how cool function is. Since when is "it works better not cool?" But who knows?
    12-02-11 04:37 PM
    There's plenty of BB marketing, at least in Canada, but they don't have much they CAN market, now do they?

Technically their phones are a year or two behind the competition, they have no major advantages in features or usability, and as for the Playbook, while it manages to be mostly on par with the competition, technically speaking (at least for the next month or so), it doesn't bring anything unique to the market, and is severely handicapped compared to iPads and Android tablets.

You can't just fire away with marketing, without having SOMETHING to market. It's a common misconception that you can, but itll only come around to bite you if you try, since marketing needs to be honest on a fundamental level, in order to work. The best result you can expect otherwise is a temporary uptick in sales, while ruining the relationship with the customers.

I love my Playbook. Smaller, more durable, and works better than any android or for that matter the iDont Tablet.
    You must have missed all of the 7 inch Android tablets that are out already, and are just as small and durable as the Playbook. Well not to worry, theres also a bunch of new ones coming around Christmas and early next year with next-generation quad core processors and 12 hour battery life. In other words, if you've been thinking about selling your PB, you better do it NOW, since it's a month or two away from having obsolete hardware.

Oh, and "Idont"... Cute... Very mature!
    12-03-11 04:06 AM
    I will not deny that we need better marketing from RIM. It'll make sure that they can get new people to buy the product. Also, you are right about dev tools. Its too pesty. I can code iOS and Android but I read an ebook on coding for BB and my head starting spinning...

I am developing for BBX though
    12-03-11 04:11 AM
    hey hey, as soon as there marketing guy gets back rim is going to own
    12-03-11 08:04 PM
    There's plenty of BB marketing, at least in Canada, but they don't have much they CAN market, now do they?

Technically their phones are a year or two behind the competition, they have no major advantages in features or usability, and as for the Playbook, while it manages to be mostly on par with the competition, technically speaking (at least for the next month or so), it doesn't bring anything unique to the market, and is severely handicapped compared to iPads and Android tablets.

You can't just fire away with marketing, without having SOMETHING to market. It's a common misconception that you can, but itll only come around to bite you if you try, since marketing needs to be honest on a fundamental level, in order to work. The best result you can expect otherwise is a temporary uptick in sales, while ruining the relationship with the customers.

You must have missed all of the 7 inch Android tablets that are out already, and are just as small and durable as the Playbook. Well not to worry, theres also a bunch of new ones coming around Christmas and early next year with next-generation quad core processors and 12 hour battery life. In other words, if you've been thinking about selling your PB, you better do it NOW, since it's a month or two away from having obsolete hardware.

Oh, and "Idont"... Cute... Very mature!

You're wrong. There's plenty RIM can do with good marketing. Current BB devices can do anything a customer needs they just have to sell it in the right way and a good marketing firm can find this.

I looked at the other 7" tablets. The pb is better. The pb is a classy piece of engineering, the others aren't - they're just good
    12-03-11 09:14 PM
    Playbook rulz

Do a google on any of the text to find the review, I couldn't post a link

Device: PlayBook

Maker: Research In Motion

Vital specs: 7-inch screen, 1-gigahertz processor, 1 gigabyte of RAM

Price: $200 (or $100 if you know how to get the insider price)

Grade: A (at $200) A+ (At the insider price)

I can say with a straight face that the PlayBook is, in many ways, the best tablet on the market today, iPad included.

Hear me out, hear me out. The PlayBook does true multitasking; it has amazing HD video playback; it has excellent on-board speakers; its battery life is second to none.

Thats why its a tragedy that RIM put this thing out way too early, when it was still rife with bugs (See: Kobo Vox). The first version of the PlayBook ran like a pre-production prototype, and thats why a lot of reviewers hated it. It also didnt help that the PlayBook app store was a sad joke.

Since then, RIM has pumped out software update after software update, in the process fixing almost all those bugs (the app store still sucks). Its too bad a lot of people were turned off by the (completely justified) early negative review, because underneath that lack of polish was some great hardware and a bomb-proof operating system.

Now that RIM is hemorrhaging losses on the PlayBook line, it has cut prices dramatically. You can now get a PlayBook starting at about $200, which is the best bargain on this entire list. But wait! Theres more.

If you happen to know somebody who works at RIM, word is they can get the employee discount, which cuts that entry-level price in half. As recently as last week, at least one person I know at the company was busy buying a half-dozen of these things at that price. I have no idea how long this will last, but if you know somebody on the inside, dont miss out on what is essentially a towering-inferno sale atop another fire sale.
    12-16-11 12:45 PM
    You're wrong. There's plenty RIM can do with good marketing. Current BB devices can do anything a customer needs they just have to sell it in the right way and a good marketing firm can find this.
    Can it play Words with Friends?
    Can it play Angry Birds?

Even in Sprint ads for their Android devices, they mention Angry Birds. The public wants apps. BB doesn't have very many.
    12-16-11 01:40 PM
    If RIM's marketing is so awful, how do you explain the success from 2007 to 2009? It's not like they forgot how to market..

My explanation...RIM's product line was a lot better then in comparison to its competition. Now, it leaves a lot to be desired.
    12-16-11 01:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD