Video Interview with Diane Brady

Businessweek's Brady Discusses RIM Blackberry Smartphone: Video

Article being discuessed
    RIM Needs a Lift with BlackBerry 6 - BusinessWeek

Article being discuessed
    BlackBerry Plans New Look as IPhone Makes Inroads - Bloomberg

Do you think having 2 leaders at the helm of RIM is actually a hindrance? they both seem so complacent about the current image of Blackberry to the consumer, and to how the consumer can drive business,

Clearly we can't do anything about the management, but of the 2 leaders who do you think would make a better CEO rather than Co - CEO do you think it would make much of a difference?

I am very hopeful for RIM and OS6, and the new phones, but really hate how the CEO's are talking to the press.
    07-08-10 06:58 PM
    Maybe they don't wanna say much because they got something coming huge? Just a thought.
    07-08-10 07:13 PM
    Oh I can only hope that is the case, it's just statements like "Balsillie acknowledges consumer pressure in the business, he insists it’s overstated." bother me, just seems a little too high and mighty for the position they are currently in.
    07-08-10 07:19 PM
    RIM management has a plan, which is more than what can be said of Nokia. They do have some actual actions lined up, again, more than can be said of Nokia.

I'm not a BlackBerry user anymore, but I have hope that these guys have some idea of what's going on. It looks as if RIM's strategy may just be to retain existing users until they can really get something good together from that QNX acquisition.
    07-08-10 08:58 PM
    There is a historical reason why Research in Motion has Co-CEOs.

On March 5, 2007, Balsillie resigned his role as chairman of RIM as the firm reported over US$250 million in past stock option accounting errors after an extensive review. He retains his roles as co-chief executive and director. ...
    Two heads are better then one, particularly when they are connected at the hip with BlackBerrys.

But don't worry, RIM has some secrets up its sleeves ...

At least that's what RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie suggested on last night's earnings call, as he repeatedly talked up the new BlackBerry 6 platform and new devices, which are all coming in the second half of the year.

"I'll think you'll just be amazed that how it's a quantum leap over anything that's out there," he said, referring to RIM's new platforms, after an analyst asked about RIM's advertising strategy.

Read more: RIM Co-CEO Promises "Quantum Leap Over Anything That's Out There"
    07-08-10 09:02 PM
    There is a historical reason why Research in Motion has Co-CEOs.

Two heads are better then one, particularly when they are connected at the hip with BlackBerrys.
    I'm aware of the historical reasons

I just wonder if things could be better with a single head, I guess frustration with both of their media presence has got me touchy
    07-08-10 09:05 PM
    dR, reading your post, I do believe you are hard core BB fan. Trend changing from keyboard to touch screen really hit BB hard on consumer choice, so is the trend changing from email killerapp to media killerapp.

CEO can't say anything that spook the market, saying touch screen is superior for example. But looking at 9800, think they get the drift, touch screen couple with the beloved keyboard, after all, who likes to type while looking at the keyboard?? (I personally can't type on my iPhone without me looking at the keyboard after much practice)

But I do think they are behind with change, they should launch 9800 (OS6) early this year instead of late, and the management is down playing it. Also the extra baggage of legacy don't cut them much slack either.

**I have a Bold and iPhone, but my dream is just to have the Bold, finger cross.
    07-08-10 09:24 PM
    Look at it this way, two ceo's made rim what it is today, "if it aint broke dont fix it"
    07-09-10 09:10 AM
    Look at it this way, two ceo's made rim what it is today, "if it aint broke dont fix it"
    That's exactly the mentality you DON'T want with these guys.

I personally think it's better to have two, but they are definitely complacent. Not that they need to be, because there isn't a huge BES challenger right now. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until OS 6 arrives.
    07-09-10 09:37 AM
    Quantum Leap?

:looks around:

BAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHA
    07-09-10 09:59 AM
    If the new devices and operating systems are solid on launch day rim will be ok but if they are buggy and don't wow the user then I would say they are in trouble.
    07-09-10 09:59 AM
    Saying their devices are going to "Quantum Leap" the competition is setting them up for disaster.

Surely, the higher the pedestal, the more perilous the fall.

Regardless, at the rate that Android keeps vomiting up devices, what may be a "Quantum Leap" now-

May be a skip in a half in the wrong direction come September.

PS LOL at the one photo claiming to be Laziridis showing off a BlackBerry to the Queen.
    Last edited by xxxxpradaxxxx; 07-09-10 at 10:39 AM.
    07-09-10 10:36 AM
    RIM management has a plan, which is more than what can be said of Nokia. They do have some actual actions lined up, again, more than can be said of Nokia.

I'm not a BlackBerry user anymore, but I have hope that these guys have some idea of what's going on. It looks as if RIM's strategy may just be to retain existing users until they can really get something good together from that QNX acquisition.
    You mean the Nokia which has a 36.6% market share worldwide as of Q1/2010 which ranks them easily as #1 in the world? Doesn't seem like too bad a plan.
    07-09-10 10:58 AM
    "if it aint broke dont fix it"

This motto no longer works for today's companies.
    07-09-10 11:05 AM
    You mean the Nokia which has a 36.6% market share worldwide as of Q1/2010 which ranks them easily as #1 in the world? Doesn't seem like too bad a plan.
    The same Nokia which had 50% of marketshare 2 years ago. Nokia is losing customers fast and they have no way out.
    07-09-10 12:16 PM

And that is where innovation stops.
    07-09-10 12:33 PM
    I do have a faith in RIM, I'm one of the few who believe OS6 will be huge when released, the acquisition of QNX is a homerun, I just unloaded an iphone I had with another carrier becausing it's a boring device, from what I've seen of the Droid it does nothing well, I have an EVO4, incredibly fast but that's about it. I have a quiet confidence that my BB's do thing's the other's cannot.
    07-09-10 12:57 PM
    Back on topic, Please.

This is about Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis and our confidance on their support for Research in Motion.

Who remembers the early days at Apple Computer? It was a two man show, Jobs and Woz. Each brought a unique skill set to bear and together they changed the World.

07-09-10 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD