03-20-09 07:07 PM
53 123
tools
    I see many people here comment on the IPhone being a "Toy" something "Kids" want and use. Comments like "Its not a business tool" Blackberry is! Well it now seems Apples intention is to move the IPhone or maybe future models straight into the business market. When 16 year old "Johnny" and his colleagues become a CEO in a few years and all he played with is IPhone when he was in High School who will he turn to for the future in wireless cellular communications for his Company? RIM? I doubt it. Smart Company Apple is for catering to the young right now. They will be making the Big telecommunications buying decisions in a few years.
    Last edited by Bettermost; 03-19-09 at 12:39 PM.
    03-19-09 12:23 PM
    "Catering". Lol.
    03-19-09 12:24 PM
    "Catering". Lol.
    Catering = slang for serving
    03-19-09 12:28 PM
    Catering = slang for serving
    It's not slang, and I know what it means.
    03-19-09 12:29 PM
    Ever heard the saying if it aint broke done fix it??? They shouldn't cater to them but that age group will come to RIM on their own.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 12:32 PM
    We already have 13, 14 year olds using Berry's! My cousin, who is 14 just got a Pearl.

03-19-09 12:35 PM
    Ever heard the saying if it aint broke done fix it??? They shouldn't cater to them but that age group will come to RIM on their own.

Not if they are not familiar with RIMS Product and are Apple users they wont.
    03-19-09 12:37 PM
    Besides, catering to the whims of the still growing is a recipe for insanity. You can see it now, I want and I want it right NOW! Not everything in the world is driven by wants.

I see plenty of the younger crowd in here, don't see them suffering from the lack of an iPhone as they grew up.

03-19-09 12:38 PM
    Apple may be catering to the "wants" of the younger demographic with their shiny colors and pretty pictures, but there's very little substance behind the product they're pedaling for professional businesspeople (the CEOs, as you put it).

Point being, it may be a fun toy to play with now, but how productive will it be when "Johnny's" needs change? I hope if "Johnny" has half a mind, he'll go with the product that suits him best for the position he holds (whether that be an iPhone, BB or some other really kick a-s-s phone that blows both out of the water).
    03-19-09 12:38 PM
    Apple may be catering to the "wants" of the younger demographic with their shiny colors and pretty pictures, but there's very little substance behind the product they're pedaling for professional businesspeople (the CEOs, as you put it).

Point being, it may be a fun toy to play with now, but how productive will it be when "Johnny's" needs change? I hope if "Johnny" has half a mind, he'll go with the product that suits him best for the position he holds (whether that be an iPhone, BB or some other really kick a-s-s phone that blows both out of the water).
    My point is, it seems with the introduction of 3.0 they are slowly heading for RIMs type of market as well. Johnny will choose the brand he is used to when Apple develops the IPhone into Blackberry territory.
    03-19-09 12:52 PM
    But fortunately, since they use such a huge amount of bandwidth, more usage will result in more outages, and the frustration will drive them away, eventually.

That, or the lockups, low battery life, or their general flimsiness. There are a lot of weaknesses that need to be addressed before I would worry too much.

03-19-09 01:04 PM
    Not if they are not familiar with RIMS Product and are Apple users they wont.
    You mean RIMs overrated BIS?
    03-19-09 01:06 PM
    We already have 13, 14 year olds using Berry's! My cousin, who is 14 just got a Pearl.

Way too many 13 and 14 year olds are using BBs imho. But, hey, who am I to stop change from happening.
    03-19-09 01:09 PM
    I don't know... I am 21 now, and I have been jealous of BB owners for years. It's just the plan pricing that ruled it out. But when it got to the point that I was doing $15 internet and $10 mobile email on Verizon, going to the $30 data plan and getting a BB seemed like a way better option and I was finally able to justify it, lol.
    03-19-09 01:10 PM
    By the time today's 5 year old reaches the CEO, or any decision making, level they will have been using BBs for years.
    03-19-09 01:14 PM
    I really don't think they should cater to the wants of people within that age group. If they were to do so, they would lose the business people pretty quickly, which is the backbone of their business...
    03-19-09 01:16 PM
    I am 23, aquired my first BB my last semester of college, because it was easy for scheduling appointments and contacting companies for jobs.

I personally use a Mac as my computer at home, my BB is linked to my company computer at the office. But my Mac is 5years old and is on its last leg. But I can't do office work at home on my Mac. I'm going back to becoming "Hi, I'm a PC"
    Apple makes a great, fun machine. Enjoyed it while I had it.
    03-19-09 02:02 PM
    Whether RIM caters to the 16-20 age group is insignficant.

BES caters to the corporate group. THAT'S why CEOs and other executives in large companies will not go iPhone. Wait for Apple to bring out Enterprise-level software to even bring iPhone into the same discussion for executives.
    03-19-09 02:46 PM
    By the time "Johnny" becomes a CEO he will know that it's time to put the toys away and play with the big boys now.
    03-19-09 02:48 PM
    Whether RIM caters to the 16-20 age group is insignficant.

BES caters to the corporate group. THAT'S why CEOs and other executives in large companies will not go iPhone. Wait for Apple to bring out Enterprise-level software to even bring iPhone into the same discussion for executives.
    Trust me Apple has there guns aiming at RIM. An Enterprise server for Apple is in the future. As well as a blood pressure cuff that attach's to the phone and transmits the persons BP to the Dr. Did you see that? Its amazing. Thats coming out this year!
    03-19-09 02:51 PM
    I strongly disagree. I'd rather see RIM focusing on being the best at what they do instead of trying to cater to teenagers who don't need all the features of a BlackBerry.

Last edited by xfuchsiax; 03-19-09 at 04:16 PM.
    03-19-09 02:59 PM
    I believe that apple users are more in it for the apparent fashion statement it creates.. Maybe I just don't want to be a sellout but I would try very hard not to get an apple product

03-19-09 03:19 PM
    Until apple has a keyboard, apple cannot complete.

03-19-09 03:23 PM
    Im 17 and i love my 8330.. And unlike my (few) friends who have BB's, I actually use it like a blackberry.

I need my blackberry to keep track of scheduling with work, flight training, and appointments. I would be lost without email updates from each of these..
    03-19-09 04:12 PM
    If some one is so brand loyal they won't use the product that gets the job done the best they won't be a CEO of anything.

If Apple successfully invades the corporate market it won't be because of brand loyal teenagers who have aged into the corporate work force. It will be because they created a device that best serves that market segment. Is Apple preferred by graphic designers because they grew up with a Mac? Probably not. They prefer Apple because Mac is the best product for that application.
    03-19-09 04:33 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD