So then why did she ask about the iPhone if the iPhone doesn't do what was "most important"? Just saying.

On the flip side of that she wanted to know which phone she should get between the two platforms. Ok, you say everybody was telling her that android was the way to go, and apparently that was cool by you.

But because her brother went on and on about the iPhone, and about stuff that she didn't want/need, he has to be labeled an Apple Fanboi?
    She asked about iPhone and Android because she didn't know anything about either platform. While people were telling her about the ease of transferring docs, true multitasking, and customizability of Android, her bro was talking about itunes and the "elegance" of iPhone. In this case her friends were staying on topic regarding questions about what she needed, whereas her bro wasn't talking about that stuff at all. What's difficult to understand about that?
    04-18-11 08:39 PM
    Telling a friend who does not follow these products that these items are 'the same' does them a disservice.[/QUOTE]

You are correct in my opinion with regard to making a claim that a Blackberry is somehow the same as an Adroid device or an iPhone. It has been my position backed up I believe by RIM and what they see as their core business as the Enterprise market.

Apple and Android devices can be added to your Enterprise with a few caveats. A Blackberry device is built from the ground up to integrate into your existing Enterprise infrastructure using Microsoft Exchange, Blackberry Enterprise server, Lotus Notes, etc.

As a result you can lock down a Blackberry device to be a bit more secure and easily managed. I am an IT administrator but I do not administer nor have I previously a BES server and/or a Microsoft/IBM e-mail server. I understand the issues and the Technology.

So I agree they are not the same and not intended to be the same. Every platform no matter the hardware is a trade off. My experience has been [I speak only for me] that RIM has a very sturdy line of phones since the 8800 series. I will exclude the Curve and Storm since I have never used either model line. I have a Bold 9780, before that I had a Bold 9700, and before that a Bold 9000 [I felt this was the best phone as far as feel, fit, and finish]. Work issues me an BB 8820. It has no camera and is a true work horse. I am on call all the time and need to sturdy reliable phone and I have that in a BB.
    04-19-11 09:01 AM
    She asked about iPhone and Android because she didn't know anything about either platform. While people were telling her about the ease of transferring docs, true multitasking, and customizability of Android, her bro was talking about itunes and the "elegance" of iPhone. In this case her friends were staying on topic regarding questions about what she needed, whereas her bro wasn't talking about that stuff at all. What's difficult to understand about that?
    Oh, naw, there's no difficulty in understanding that. But you did say that she asked about both platforms. Now maybe if she had only asked about android and the brother jumped in with talking about the iPhone, then you kind of have an legit arguement.

But YOU said SHE did ask about the iPhone as well. So HER BROTHER chimed in talking about the iPhone. And yea as YOU said, it had nothing to do with what SHE wanted or needed, but did YOU ever think that HER BROTHER knows HER better than YOU?

BTW your last post did answer my question as far as to why you consider him an Apple fanboi.
    04-19-11 09:58 AM
    Dude, you didn't see the thread in question & you don't know my friend or her relationship w/ her bro vs her relationship w/ her friends. It seems you're just arguing for the sake of arguing here.
    04-19-11 11:05 AM
    Dude, you didn't see the thread in question & you don't know my friend or her relationship w/ her bro vs her relationship w/ her friends. It seems you're just arguing for the sake of arguing here.
    Who's arguing? I'm just trying to get what makes a person a so-called fanboi. To me, the way that you are putting it, because a person says something about a different platform that's quote on quote not part of the discussion is a fanboi.

Of course I don't know your friends, but I'm going on what YOU said, and I was just asking you a question. YOU are the one that is replying with a bit of an attitude about the whole thing.

You hear call people that and I just wanted to know what makes a person a fanboi.

Answer me this. If a person comes on here and starts a thread asking about BB and Android platforms. They breakdown what features are important to them and what are not important to them.

Now the OP gets 20 replies. Out of those 20 replies only 1 person (you) with an android phone chimes in about the android platform.

You offer some good points, but you also are boarderline bashing the BB platform. The 19 BB posters start flaming you and labeling you an android fanboi.

Would you feel that that name calling is warranted? Just asking.
    04-19-11 11:49 AM
    The point of my original post regarding the situation was that I understood what was meant when someone is such a fan of the platform that they're using that they put blinders on & can't give objective advice to someone who might not be looking for what that particular platform is best at. Take this example:

Friend: I'm looking for a phone that can handle media and web browsing really well.

BB fan: Ooh! You can totally watch movies, listen to music, & watch youtube on blackberry!

While this is true...due to the friend's wants, though, they'd be happier w/ android or iphone.

Here is a snippit of the thread I mentioned:

Friend: and so I ask the masses...Is it worth it to trade in my Nokia N97 for an Android or iPhone?

Brother: iPhone, duh.

Friend of friend: What are you looking for out of a phone?

Friend: I'm looking for: multitasking, email, text, doc access (and editing and transfering) taking notes, calendar, social media, customization, and internet

Brother: I believe the iPhone is far better than any android phone. The iPhone is way more elegant, professional and secure. Also easier and more convenient.

See what I mean? He doesn't go into how an iphone handles any of her wants & needs. It would have been as ridiculous if she had said "I'm looking for a device that's good quality & I can easily sync with itunes, & has a lot of good features and very secure" & people start talking about Android, even though it is obvious she'd be happier w/ an iphone. I'm not brand loyal, nor have I ever really been.

Edited to add: There were others in that thread that were saying good things about the iPhone in regard to what she wanted. But, they were actually giving her specifics. So it wasn't like it was one person who liked iPhone verses 19 who liked Android.
    Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 04-19-11 at 12:30 PM.
    04-19-11 12:28 PM
    This is funny.
    04-19-11 12:47 PM
    The point of my original post regarding the situation was that I understood what was meant when someone is such a fan of the platform that they're using that they put blinders on & can't give objective advice to someone who might not be looking for what that particular platform is best at. Take this example:

Friend: I'm looking for a phone that can handle media and web browsing really well.

BB fan: Ooh! You can totally watch movies, listen to music, & watch youtube on blackberry!

While this is true...due to the friend's wants, though, they'd be happier w/ android or iphone.

Here is a snippit of the thread I mentioned:

Friend: and so I ask the masses...Is it worth it to trade in my Nokia N97 for an Android or iPhone?

Brother: iPhone, duh.

Friend of friend: What are you looking for out of a phone?

Friend: I'm looking for: multitasking, email, text, doc access (and editing and transfering) taking notes, calendar, social media, customization, and internet

Brother: I believe the iPhone is far better than any android phone. The iPhone is way more elegant, professional and secure. Also easier and more convenient.

See what I mean? He doesn't go into how an iphone handles any of her wants & needs. It would have been as ridiculous if she had said "I'm looking for a device that's good quality & I can easily sync with itunes, & has a lot of good features and very secure" & people start talking about Android, even though it is obvious she'd be happier w/ an iphone. I'm not brand loyal, nor have I ever really been.

Edited to add: There were others in that thread that were saying good things about the iPhone in regard to what she wanted. But, they were actually giving her specifics. So it wasn't like it was one person who liked iPhone verses 19 who liked Android.
    I'm gonna leave this discussion where it is because apparently the answer to my question is yes.
    04-19-11 01:29 PM
    How did this turn into an android vs iphone thread?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 01:34 PM

Cause thats where every thread seems to go.
    04-19-11 01:48 PM

That's what I was beginning to wonder, myself. I just posted an anecdote & dude ran w/ it for some reason.
    04-19-11 01:54 PM
    It wasn't about Android vs. iPhone. I was just asking a question and then I'm accused of "arguing" or as her last post says "running with it for some reason"

I mean really?
    04-19-11 03:03 PM
    What was the question again? Ah, just kidding but these threads sure do seem to run amok sometimes. Lets all just agree to disagree. Oh and I still love my BB
    04-19-11 03:18 PM
    If I knew this thread would go this long, I wouldn't have started it. I just had a simple point and bang, went on forever!

Oh well, Blackberry rules.
    04-19-11 06:56 PM
    Handbags people. Does it really matter who uses what as long as the owner is happy. Come on. Lets finish with these threads and get down to real BB (or whatever) posts.
    04-20-11 01:29 AM
    [QUOTE=Lego Star Wars;6244739]Handbags people. Does it really matter who uses what as long as the owner is happy. Come on. Lets finish with these threads and get down to real BB (or whatever) posts.[/QUOTE

Amen. I'm coming back to BB after being gone for a while (I do use one at work however). Now I have my own opinion on this but how about you all tell me. I know that Blackberry, unlike Android devices don't tend to get outdated quite as quickly simply because they aren't releasing a new one every other hour so I feel relatively safe buying the 9780 this week. I have no particular interest in any of the touchscreen BBs so what say you? Does the 9780 have some logevity in her? I'm counting on it.
    04-20-11 09:32 AM
    Can you wait? I think the Bold Touch will please you more than the 9780...although it's a great device (I soooo wanted one) the form factor on the Bold Touch will be very useful
    04-20-11 09:37 AM
    Can you wait? I think the Bold Touch will please you more than the 9780...although it's a great device (I soooo wanted one) the form factor on the Bold Touch will be very useful
    Yah but like I said, I have no interest in a touchscreen. I have a Galaxy Tab for that. I want something I do NOT need two hands to operate and where the battery won't drain faster because of the touchscreen.
    04-20-11 09:59 AM
    Yah but like I said, I have no interest in a touchscreen. I have a Galaxy Tab for that. I want something I do NOT need two hands to operate and where the battery won't drain faster because of the touchscreen.
    Gotcha. I thought the keyboard on the Bold Touch would be a good one for you.
    04-20-11 10:01 AM
    Look at the location of the person you replied to. I live in the same area and since you may not know the largest employer here in Northern Virginia is the Federal Government both direct and via contracts. This person could work in one of a hundred different places but just to name a few very common employers in the Northern Virginia region...

CIA Vienna, VA a suburb of Fairfax County
    NSA Ft. Mead, MD within commuting distance of Northern Virginia
    The Pentagon Arlington, VA
    The State Department Washington, D.C.
    NRO [National Reconnaissance Office] Chantilly, VA

None of these facilities allow devices with cameras into their facilities. They do not issue any devices with cameras and do not grant access to anyone with such a device. The "armed" security personnel will not call your employer to ask what IT policies they have implemented to disable the camera. They will either refuse you entry or confiscate the device [Period! No debate will occur].

Her comment was she works in a facility that does not allow such devices [Period!]. This policy extends to personnal as well as work issued devices. And the policy extends to vendors and consultants. In some cases failing to follow this policy will get you arrested and charged with a crime.
    I was in the military, had a secret security clearance, and both on the ship and on bases even in the training facilities with working equipment and tons of cipher locks, guards we could take any cell phone on board that we wanted. Even BMs with no security clearance were allowed to carry their phones/smartphones everywhere (although they did not have the cipher codes to get into secure areas, of course, but I did).

It doesn't matter who the employer is. The fact that they don't allow cameras doesn't really matter. With a competent IT department even if a camera was on the phone, it would be useless because the policy would disable it, and the Internet browser, and WiFi, and whatever else they felt they didn't want running on those phones. You can turn any provisioned device into a dumbphone with Exchange policies...

The only thing they have to worry about is people bringing in outside devices with cameras and no policy, and for the sake of simplicity it's simply easier to blanket ban all phone cameras (or cameras, period) instead of go through the trouble to see if every phone is a GI device or not.

Also, the Government is not the Private Sector, and there are just as many if not more private sector workers with company issued smartphones (and/or Exchange/BES deployments) as the Government... It's cool that she lives in W.Va, though. I guess I needed to know that, somehow...
    Last edited by N8ter; 04-20-11 at 10:24 AM.
    04-20-11 10:18 AM
    IT departments implement security parameters within the IT infrastructure. You're talking access. IT departments implement those guidelines established via regulations.
    I worked at an air force facility. No phones were allowed at the flight line. At that point it was not IT determining where a phone could go, it was the MP at the flight line. You're confusing access with IT implementation of infrastructure regulations.

oh, if we are talking clearances....yah, I have a clearance...

It *absolutely matters* who the employer is and trust me, there are no cameras in our agency. Other than the ones who watch every move you make and record it accordingly. Clearance or no clearance, from "sensitive" to top secret, there are no phones with cameras in our agency. Or personal cameras of any kind.

and cute "competent IT department" swipe, darling....

and he mentioned Northern Virginia simply because the largest employer in the area is the fed government.

Sure there private sector jobs that issue smartphones...of course...goes without saying. Try brining a camera phone into a medical research facility.....
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 04-20-11 at 10:44 AM.
    04-20-11 10:30 AM
    I was in the military, had a secret security clearance, and both on the ship and on bases even in the training facilities with working equipment and tons of cipher locks, guards we could take any cell phone on board that we wanted. Even BMs with no security clearance were allowed to carry their phones/smartphones everywhere (although they did not have the cipher codes to get into secure areas, of course, but I did).

It doesn't matter who the employer is. The fact that they don't allow cameras doesn't really matter. With a competent IT department even if a camera was on the phone, it would be useless because the policy would disable it, and the Internet browser, and WiFi, and whatever else they felt they didn't want running on those phones. You can turn any provisioned device into a dumbphone with Exchange policies...

The only thing they have to worry about is people bringing in outside devices with cameras and no policy, and for the sake of simplicity it's simply easier to blanket ban all phone cameras (or cameras, period) instead of go through the trouble to see if every phone is a GI device or not.

Also, the Government is not the Private Sector, and there are just as many if not more private sector workers with company issued smartphones (and/or Exchange/BES deployments) as the Government... It's cool that she lives in W.Va, though. I guess I needed to know that, somehow...
    The reason I mentioned her location is becasue it helps to frame her statement in the proper context. Here in this region many people work for the government either directly or on contract. It is difficult to dispute things in e-mail without sounding like a **** because tone is very hard to express. It wasn't really my intention to sound like I was lecturing you or try to talk down to you. It seems that is how I came across and I apologize. Thank you for your service to our country!
    04-20-11 11:19 AM
    A thread full of arguing children. We all have different opinions and preference - the world would cease to exist in its current state if we didn't! I do have a question, though.... If you dislike blackberrys so much why are you actively posting on crackberry? Pathetic to say the least!

04-21-11 03:20 AM
    A thread full of arguing children. We all have different opinions and preference - the world would cease to exist in its current state if we didn't! I do have a question, though.... If you dislike blackberrys so much why are you actively posting on crackberry? Pathetic to say the least!

It seems to be fashionable to hate Blackberry at the moment. If anybody that changed to something else still posts here surely it means they are not completely happy with their choice.

04-21-11 03:51 AM
    IT departments implement security parameters within the IT infrastructure. You're talking access. IT departments implement those guidelines established via regulations.
    I worked at an air force facility. No phones were allowed at the flight line. At that point it was not IT determining where a phone could go, it was the MP at the flight line. You're confusing access with IT implementation of infrastructure regulations.

oh, if we are talking clearances....yah, I have a clearance...

It *absolutely matters* who the employer is and trust me, there are no cameras in our agency. Other than the ones who watch every move you make and record it accordingly. Clearance or no clearance, from "sensitive" to top secret, there are no phones with cameras in our agency. Or personal cameras of any kind.

and cute "competent IT department" swipe, darling....

and he mentioned Northern Virginia simply because the largest employer in the area is the fed government.

Sure there private sector jobs that issue smartphones...of course...goes without saying. Try brining a camera phone into a medical research facility.....
    I already said that it matters who the employer is. That's pretty obvious. What I was mentioning was that:

1. You do not need a Blackberry to get a smartphone without a camera
    2. You do not need BES for a secure messaging platform (example: Good is certified for Government-level use)
    3. You do not need a phone without a camera to make sure employees do not use the camera on the phone

I can care less who that person works for because those three points are true in all circumstances, regardless of the employer.

Regulations and blanket corporate policy (restricting them so that you don't have to vet every device with a camera) is completely independent from those points, and totally understandable.

There is more sensitive information in CIC on a Navy Destroyer (where I was able to take my camera phone without issues) than on an aircraft carrier flight deck or whatever, TBQH...
    04-21-11 04:03 AM
107 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD